Shut Rodgers down?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rotoworld reports Arod suffered a groing injury and that he has had some pain in his knee all season. I say shut him down, let him heal and lets see what Kizer can do. Is he a bonafide backup or not?? Philbin says Rodgers should play. I say let Philbin go if that is the case.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let Philbin go if that is the case.

So quick to let a coach go...is this the new fashion? :whistling:

Rotoworld reports Arod suffered a groing injury and that he has had some pain in his knee all season.

I honestly forget the last time when ARod played without some kind of niggles. Probably sometime back to 2011-12 season.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mind putting a second string team out. A loss may be better anyway, but we should still aim to win this.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injured or not he should be sitting the rest of the season. a) why worsen our draft position if we dont have to, b)why risk him getting a more severe injury if we dont have to, c)if Rodgers gets hurt not only will it affect him, but it will likely affect the teams choice of HC candidates. Legit coaching prospects will be less likely to take the job if they know there's the potential that AR won't be ready to start the season.

if the top brass lets him play because he wants to it will only reinforce the notion that AR runs the organization and has WAY too much power. there's literally nothing to gain and everything to lose by putting him out there.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd never let a competitor adopt the mindset that every practice, game, situation wasn't important. There are 2 games left. Once you start letting them think some snaps are more important than others, they start deciding when it's important to play and when it's not. Losers mentality. If Rodgers gets hurt, he gets hurt. If he's too hurt to play then he is. If he's not, he should be out there. I think anytime you start approaching football as anything other than playing football, and start to adopt a, let's prevent injury mentality, you open yourself up for physical and mental downfall.

Rodgers skips all preseason and gets hurt in the 1st quarter of the 1st game. it happens. A bear defender gives himself up after a game sealing INT and I wonder what his damage was. Probably more than had he just kept running.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers still maintains the competitive mindset, because he wants to play. It's management's job to make the decision for him in the best interest of the team. There's a big distinction in letting AR decide if he wants to play and he chooses not to, vs. the organization making the correct call to sit him down. He won't and shouldn't like it. But it's the correct decision for the organization and also serves as a reminder for him as to who's in charge, which depending on one's opinion, he may or may not need.

It's also easily justifiable to say that they need to properly evaluate Kizer (which they do) to see if he's worth keeping and this is an opportunity to do so.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say shut him down

i agree but it apparently ain't happenin. if he does play it's incredibly short-sighted by the front office. this upcoming draft, and free agency, is the most important in years. they can't blow it by playing him and possibly winning two meaningless games.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has 2 TEs and 3 rookie WR that have not been able to come together on all year. These next 2 weeks of practice and 2 games can be valuable steps to working towards that end goal. No pressure, make mistakes and grow.

Or give them to a guy that isn’t our future. And send a message to the rest of the team take the next 2 weeks off, they aren’t important. While they certainly aren’t when it comes to post season play, every practice and game is an opportunity to get better. Much of this team needs to do exactly that.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has 2 TEs and 3 rookie WR that have not been able to come together on all year. These next 2 weeks of practice and 2 games can be valuable steps to working towards that end goal. No pressure, make mistakes and grow.

Or give them to a guy that isn’t our future. And send a message to the rest of the team take the next 2 weeks off, they aren’t important. While they certainly aren’t when it comes to post season play, every practice and game is an opportunity to get better. Much of this team needs to do exactly that.
there'll be an entirely new system next year. getting on the "same page" is irrelevant now. there will be a lot of player turnover. guys will play hard because they want to keep their jobs next season and others will play hard because they want to take someone's job next year. playing Rodgers and possibly damaging draft position, with wins, is...front office malpractice.

Last edited:

fix8ed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The previous posts were excellent and provided insight for and against the idea of Rodgers finishing out the season. I would personally prefer him sitting, but doubt it will happen. Rodgers is highly sensitive and is aware of the media piranhas beginning to swim his way. He will feel he must play...or listen to the critics post season discussing ad infinitum, "the decline and fall of Aaron Rodgers." The front office decision not to play him would barely be mentioned.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there'll be an entirely new system next year. getting on the "same page" is irrelevant now. there will be a lot of player turnover. guys will play hard because they want to keep their jobs next season and others will play hard because they want to take someone's job next year. playing Rodgers and possibly damaging the draft position with wins is...front office malpractice.
experience with your QB is experience with your QB. Routes are routes and adjustments are adjustments and what Jordy and Cobb and Rodgers had wasn't built from a playbook. It was a look, a nod, a twitch here, glance there and they knew what to do. Competitors need to get mentally and physically ready to play, they get that way by practicing and playing like it matters.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
FWIW - there was a question from a reporter after the Arizona game I believe that was asked to Rodgers something to the effect of "would you give any consideration to sitting the rest of the way". And his response was "hell no, I'm finishing this thing off, good or bad".

Not saying it's right or wrong. Not saying he should or shouldn't sit. Just relaying what his response was.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand these ideas. These guys aren't fans, they're not planning for next year after having given up on this one. The coaches want to put a good performance on tape for their next employer, that doesn't include putting out bad quarterbacks. The players don't want to sit out because it sends a weird message to teammates, "Hey Davante, I'm too good to risk but you're not." There is no way that Philbin wants to be forced to trot out Kizer at QB when the offense looks as bad as it does with Rodgers at QB. And now that MM is gone, the team doesn't have a vested interest in blatantly lying about how good the backups are to uphold the coaches rep as a QB-whisperer.

Rodgers not playing when healthy is far worse than a college player deciding not to play in a meaningless bowl game. You think Rodgers wants that to be his image?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW - there was a question from a reporter after the Arizona game I believe that was asked to Rodgers something to the effect of "would you give any consideration to sitting the rest of the way". And his response was "hell no, I'm finishing this thing off, good or bad".

Not saying it's right or wrong. Not saying he should or shouldn't sit. Just relaying what his response was.
that's admirable but it shouldn't be up to him. the FO should make the call. start reeling in Rodgers now. "no" needs to be reintroduced to Aaron.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's admirable but it shouldn't be up to him. the FO should make the call. start reeling in Rodgers now. "no" needs to be reintroduced to Aaron.

There is no chance that Philbin wants to coach whatever mess the offense would be with Kizer at the helm in his final few games as interim head coach. If the GM overrides Philbin then you have an issue that might concern future coaches about working for a GM that acts like Jerry Jones (not saying that Gute does that, just that he's a new GM and coaches might be concerned if he starts overriding his coach).

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no chance that Philbin wants to coach whatever mess the offense would be with Kizer at the helm in his final few games as interim head coach. If the GM overrides Philbin then you have an issue that might concern future coaches about working for a GM that acts like Jerry Jones (not saying that Gute does that, just that he's a new GM and coaches might be concerned if he starts overriding his coach).
"philbin wants" is irrelevant. it's a medical/fo decision. "protect the investment/player health" etc. he's got a groin. what if he goes out there and tears the s**t out of it? coaching possibilities may think twice. :D

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"philbin wants" is irrelevant. it's a medical/fo decision. "protect the investment/player health" etc. he's got a groin. what if he goes out there and tears the s**t out of it? coaching possibilities may think twice. :D

This. it's a little different when you have a season and the head coach is going to be back next year. You want to play your stars? Fine. But we're advertising for a head coach as much as a head coach is applying for this job. What happens when that advertisement changes from "be able to coach one of the greatest QBs of all time" to "be able to coach a garbage 2nd string QB because AR is out for the season". Dont think potential hires will be chomping at the bit for the opportunity. I don't give a baker's f*** if Aaron wants to finish the season. If he said anything else on the subject I would question it. But the FO has an obligation to the future of the franchise and to protect the players from themselves. To me, the decision is made all the easier by AR not being 100%. He's not been 100% all season and he got another injury, however small against Chicago.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the GM overrides Philbin then you have an issue that might concern future coaches about working for a GM that acts like Jerry Jones

If i'm a prospective coach and AR plays, I have concerns that a QB is holding the franchise hostage and will kowtow to said QB at the expense of logic and drafting better players. Also would be concerned if issues were to arise between me and the QB the FO wouldn't have my back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I understand the posters who think that the Packers should go all in and play to win their last 2 games, is that the same feeling you have for preseason games? Every snap is important and should be taken only by the starters? Because really, I would call these 2 final games nothing but meaningless, out of the playoffs games. 25% or more of the coaches and players won't even be Packers next year, I would prefer more playing time in preseason for Rodgers and potential starters than these 2 games. Why are these 2 games so important to win? Because they are labeled "regular season games"? Isn't the goal of the regular season is to get to the post season?

I guess the "Happy Median" would be to treat this somewhat like preseason. Let Rodgers and the starters play for the first half of the Jets game, then bring in the backups. The Lions game, I am going to be a bit pissed off of we see starters for that entire game, despite the fact its a home game.

These 2 games are a perfect opportunity to get Kizer and a lot of other guys some real game reps.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That knee hasn't kept him out for 15 weeks, it shouldn't now that it's probably he best it's been. Did he really hurt his groin? Maybe, then keep him out. If he's just sore. Well that's football. Kenny clark? the elbow kept him out last week, I wouldn't be in any hurry to bring him back. Just as if Rodgers sprained his knee in this past Bears game, I wouldn't be playing him either, though he played the next week to start the season.

But if you're going to go thru the roster and just start plucking guys you don't want to play because they might get hurt and tell others, go play a game we don't give a **** about it doesn't do a lot for the locker room.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To me, the decision is made all the easier by AR not being 100%. He's not been 100% all season and he got another injury, however small against Chicago.

My thoughts exactly when I read the news about his injuries. A perfect opportunity for the FO to shut Rodgers down for the season without having to say "we are sitting the highest paid player in the NFL, because we want to see what Kizer can do".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
it doesn't do a lot for the locker room.
What locker room? ;) Do you really think the 30 or so guys that are back on the team in 2019 are going to rally around "remember how we beat the Jets and the Lions to close the season out, let's keep that momentum going!!" Also keep in mind both teams the Packers will be facing are out of the playoffs and will probably be asking themselves the same question, "when do we pull the starters?"

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if you're going to go thru the roster and just start plucking guys you don't want to play because they might get hurt and tell others, go play a game we don't give a **** about it doesn't do a lot for the locker room.

Poker makes a great point. Are you operating with this same mindset in preseason games? If not, why? The stakes are the same if not greater in preseason games because losses currently benefit our team for the future.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also keep in mind both teams the Packers will be facing are out of the playoffs and will probably be asking themselves the same question, "when do we pull the starters?"

didn't even think about this. It's one thing if we're playing spoilers for playoff contenders, but these game will have no ramifications (other than draft position) for all teams involved.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
didn't even think about this. It's one thing if we're playing spoilers for playoff contenders, but these game will have no ramifications (other than draft position) for all teams involved.
Most definitely. I would probably still have the same mentality, "play for next year". But a juicy win to knock out a division rival from the playoffs, would definitely have more meaning to me than "we just beat 2 teams that thanks to the loss, will be selecting the guy we want in the first round of the draft."

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts