Shut Rodgers down?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a *&%$show. Gutekunst should be fired for not making AR inactive for the last 2 games. Win a meaningless game against the Jets that costs you 4 spots in the draft and then have AR put another concussion on his resume in the final game.

Disgusting.

D

Deleted member 6794

What a *&%$show. Gutekunst should be fired for not making AR inactive for the last 2 games. Win a meaningless game against the Jets that costs you 4 spots in the draft and then have AR put another concussion on his resume in the final game.

Disgusting.

Rodgers took pride in playing in those last two games. It would have been a mistake for Gutekunst to force Philbin to sit him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing would make a job more unattractive to potential Head Coaches than knowing whenever the GM didn't like your decision they'd just make it for you anyway. Tell me all about how valuable Aaron Rodgers is, I don't care. he's a football player and gets paid to do something. if he's that delicate we have to evaluate every situation and game to ascertain the risk of letting him do what we pay him to do, we made a bad decision in paying him that money.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers took pride in playing in those last two games. It would have been a mistake for Gutekunst to force Philbin to sit him.

The front office should cater to people's pride at the expense of common sense now? Hopefully you never become the GM of a billion dollar organization. There were 2 obvious negative outcomes to playing Rodgers the last 2 meaningless games. Both of those outcomes occurred and both have adverse effects for the future of the team. And for what? So Rodgers could take pride in an overtime win against a bad team and take pride in getting blown out against another bad team?

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing would make a job more unattractive to potential Head Coaches than knowing whenever the GM didn't like your decision they'd just make it for you anyway.

How about when the linchpin of the future of your franchise gets a little more murky because of a head injury he sustained in a pointless game? That pretty unattractive.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about when the linchpin of the future of your franchise gets a little more murky because of a head injury he sustained in a pointless game? That pretty unattractive.
How about a football player on your roster you're afraid to put on the field because you paid him too much? Who cares he's a football player, it's what they do. If you're afraid to play him, what's the point of having him. there was NOTHING in that game that should have any lasting impact on Rodgers. nothing. if there is, then he's done in this league.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The front office should cater to people's pride at the expense of common sense now? Hopefully you never become the GM of a billion dollar organization. There were 2 obvious negative outcomes to playing Rodgers the last 2 meaningless games. Both of those outcomes occurred and both have adverse effects for the future of the team. And for what? So Rodgers could take pride in an overtime win against a bad team and take pride in getting blown out against another bad team?
Again, for every single player on that football team, Rodgers playing in the last two games meant something. So the Packers won a game that cost a few draft position slots. Big damn deal. The leader of the football team put himself in the line of fire in a "meaningless" game, just like 46 other guys.

The message that the Packers will be able to carry forward going into next year, that even in dire situations, even when all hope might seem lost, you continue to fight your *** off until the very end.

The negative message sent to the football team for Rodgers to sit, despite being able to play, would have been more harmful than losing a couple of draft position slots.

Some say Rodgers doesn't lead. Now he leads vocally (by the admission of multiple Packers players recently) and by example in playing, and we STILL have issues.

I don't know what else to say on the matter.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We don't know that. He has an entire year to recover from the concussion and the draft hasn't even happened yet. Seems like a whole lot of over reacting to me.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You wouldn’t happen to be in the insurance industry would you ? lol

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers front office forcing the interim head coach to bench a healthy Rodgers would have set an extremely bad precedent moving forward.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers front office forcing the interim head coach to bench a healthy Rodgers would have set an extremely bad precedent moving forward.
While I would not have been in favor of the front office doing that... I’m not sure it would really be setting a precedent.... unless you think the Packers are going to be dealing with an “interim” head coach on a regular basis lol.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I would not have been in favor of the front office doing that... I’m not sure it would really be setting a precedent.... unless you think the Packers are going to be dealing with an “interim” head coach on a regular basis lol.

In my opinion no member of the front office should be allowed to have control on coaching decisions. I'm quite sure a lot of coaches would have taken notice of and would have thought hard about joining a franchise tolerating stuff like that.

In addition players healthy enough to step on the field should play no matter what.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion no member of the front office should be allowed to have control on coaching decisions. I'm quite sure a lot of coaches would have taken notice of and would have thought hard about joining a franchise tolerating stuff like that.

In addition players healthy enough to step on the field should play no matter what.
As I said in my reply... We are in agreement.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think a worse precedent is playing him and blowing valuable draft position...since the idea is to put the best team around him possible in his last couple of years for an improbable SB run. it's the reason they extended him...or you'd at least think that's the reason. getting him hurt just compounds the stupidity. it was shortsighted to say the least...but whatever. it's done now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There wasn't a single team playing for draft position. The Jets weren't, the 9er's weren't. The Dolphins weren't, the Cardinals weren't, The Packers weren't. Thankfully every player and coach realizes this game isn't played for draft picks and if you're too afraid to play, you're better off staying home. Permanently.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There wasn't a single team playing for draft position. The Jets weren't, the 9er's weren't. The Dolphins weren't, the Cardinals weren't, The Packers weren't. Thankfully every player and coach realizes this game isn't played for draft picks and if you're too afraid to play, you're better off staying home. Permanently.
I think that at least trying to appear to be putting your best team out there is pretty much the "standard practice" of the NFL and guessing intentionally tanking for draft picks would not be looked upon fondly by those in the NFL circle, nor by a lot of fans. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the correct decision or secretly hoping for better draft position isn't thought about by GM's, coaches and fans. I would also be considering the future health of my starters as well as the chance to develop my younger guys, but it appears that isn't the excepted norm. Why do star college players sit out Bowl and senior games? Are they quitters?

You watched the Lions game, were our starters giving it their all? Would Adams have suited up had it been a playoff game? Would Rodgers really had not stayed out there if it was playoff game?

I don't think anyone intentionally tanks games for draft picks, but I also don't think we see full effort or all the starters from every eliminated team either.

We don't need to debate it, I know what you think and why and I think you are actually in the majority, I just didn't happen to mind seeing the loses at the end of the year, knowing they improved our draft stock. The 2 wins were nice to watch, but I will admit I was bothered by knowing that our draft position was worsened by each win. Neither the wins or losses at the end of the season did much of anything moving forward, except to determine draft position and 2 games in the 2019 schedule, otherwise they will pretty much just be numbers stored for history.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, they didn't give their all. it was pathetic. But then if they were playing for draft picks, they wouldnt have gutted it out in NY the week before. Most teams knew it was their last game until next year, and played their ***** off, because that's what competitors do. What GB did was pathetic

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well that's your opinion. And yet, if the packers were locked into a playoff spot, Rodgers and others probably would have sat. And that's different how?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So, the Packers were trying to win that game? :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree but will the fact, and I use the term loosely, prevent the Patriots from attracting top coaching candidates when BB retires because Kraft made him keep Brady and trade Garoppolo?

Will good coaches stay away from Dallas because Jerry Jones gets his way all the time?

Will good coaches stay away from the Raiders as long as a Davis still owns the team Well OK this one they might

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think a worse precedent is playing him and blowing valuable draft position...since the idea is to put the best team around him possible in his last couple of years for an improbable SB run. it's the reason they extended him...or you'd at least think that's the reason. getting him hurt just compounds the stupidity. it was shortsighted to say the least...but whatever. it's done now.

I'm not exactly sure how to say this but I don't think I would want a coach who would look at it as blowing valuable draft position as opposed to trying to win a game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't need to debate it, I know what you think and why and I think you are actually in the majority, .

And I tend to think you are in the majority. The vast majority of people I have talked to , Packer fans and non Packer fans alike, think it was stupid for him to be playing in those last two games.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's your opinion. And yet, if the packers were locked into a playoff spot, Rodgers and others probably would have sat. And that's different how?

I know this wasn't addressed to me but I'll give you my reason why I feel the same way Captain does. I am opposed to sitting starters in that situation as well but it does make more sense in a few ways. Take Rodgers concussion for example. Had they been locked into the 6th spot and he played and got a concussion he could be out for the playoff game. Injuries that would cause a player to miss a week or two are far more likely to occur than injuries that will affect the player the following year so you are playing it safe for this season yet. I can understand sitting starters in that situation. Also, win loss records are not as important for playoff teams in regards to draft position and if you are in the playoffs your goal is to have the lowest pick possible and not the highest one. The best way to have a chance at that is to have all your guys healthy.

For me though, and I know Poker agrees with me;), I don't give a rats *** about draft position. Personally I don't consider the #1 pick to be a badge of honor. If my team sucks and they have the #1 pick so be it I will enjoy it for what it is worth but I want them to get that pick legitimately and that is by sucking and losing more games than anyone else while trying their damnedest to win every one they can.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To tank management has to get everyone on board.

That means players that are not coming back have to play bad.. If they are trying to audition for future teams, I don't think they would be to happy about that

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts