Should The NFL Suspend Anthony Barr For The Play?

Should The NFL Suspend Barr?

• Yes, he must be given a harsher punishment than Trevathan for the league to have any integrity

• No, Goodell is too chickensh.t and stupid to do it

• No because it was a legal hit

• The hit was OK, just late

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. That play was not dirty. Not in the least. If Clay did the same thing to Keenum we'd be saying how it was a clean hit. Fans are going to be fans. Which means hyperbole and exaggeration with zero inkling of basic logic.

It sucks because it happened to Rodgers. Its Aaron Rodgers, the best QB in Football. But even the best of the best are not exempt from injuries.

So I'm sorry, while it sucks, it was not dirty. The Trevathan hit on Adams? THAT was dirty. Barr's hit on Aaron? Sorry, nope. Not dirty.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty much lol

Some people need to take their homer glasses off...
Barr is a big guy he can't just all of a sudden "stop" or "slow down"
The problem isn’t with him hitting him or tackling him. It’s with him driving him into the turf with his entire weight on top of him that is the problem. Whether you like it or not, that type of play is bad for the NFL. Barr had at least two steps from the time the ball came out before contact was made, so he knew the ball was gone when he decided to drive him to the ground.

There was intent to hurt on that play. Maybe not intent to end his season, but Barr intended to take Rodgers out of that game. And the current rules, and the manner in which they’re enforced, allows for that type of play. Like I said, it was a hell of a play 10 years ago. But not today. Not if you’re serious about player safety.

And that’s not just quarterbacks. If a player is defenseless, you should not be allowed to drive them into the ground - especially when that player doesn’t even have the ball anymore.

Also, a point brought up on one of the countless sports talk shows, for those of you saying these players can’t possibly let up with all that momentum: punters and kickers. You aren’t allowed to even touch them once the ball is gone, even though you’re running full speed at them. These are world class athletes. If they train to play a certain way, that’s how they play. And they always train to play within the rules of the game. If it becomes a strictly enforced rules, the players will abide by it.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He launched himself when Rodgers was throwing the ball. He knew he wasn't going to be able to stop the play, but breaking bones was the next best choice.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
oh no ****

Anyone who doesn't believe the Trevathan hit was dirty is an idiot

He should have been suspended 4 games AT LEAST

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He launched himself when Rodgers was throwing the ball. He knew he wasn't going to be able to stop the play, but breaking bones was the next best choice.

This is the NFL... he gets PAID to do that, that is his JOB

You expect him to just "take it easy" on AR because he's the best player in the league??
I don't believe there is a clause in his contract to "let up" on someone becasue he's the best player in the league

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem isn’t with him hitting him or tackling him. It’s with him driving him into the turf with his entire weight on top of him that is the problem. Whether you like it or not, that type of play is bad for the NFL. Barr had at least two steps from the time the ball came out before contact was made, so he knew the ball was gone when he decided to drive him to the ground.

There was intent to hurt on that play. Maybe not intent to end his season, but Barr intended to take Rodgers out of that game. And the current rules, and the manner in which they’re enforced, allows for that type of play. Like I said, it was a hell of a play 10 years ago. But not today. Not if you’re serious about player safety.

And that’s not just quarterbacks. If a player is defenseless, you should not be allowed to drive them into the ground - especially when that player doesn’t even have the ball anymore.

Also, a point brought up on one of the countless sports talk shows, for those of you saying these players can’t possibly let up with all that momentum: punters and kickers. You aren’t allowed to even touch them once the ball is gone, even though you’re running full speed at them. These are world class athletes. If they train to play a certain way, that’s how they play. And they always train to play within the rules of the game. If it becomes a strictly enforced rules, the players will abide by it.

two steps???

go rewatch the play...

Barr was going at full speed and this is a big dude...

I wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't expect a guy that big to be able to "let up"

How do you know he was "driving him into the turf"?
Couldn't it be that he's just a big dude running at FULL SPEED who wanted to hit/tackle someone because.... gee, I don't know... that's his JOB as a professional football player...LOL

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Barr absolutely knows he has no chance of sacking Rodgers. He knows that Rodgers is going to get rid of the ball before he can get to him. Knowing that. he has plenty of time to let up and maybe just push him at the most. Barr is a professional athlete with a good build with quick reflexes. He's not some fat bumbling offensive lineman with a beer gut that can't stop his momentum. By rule it was not an illegal hit, but Barr could've easuly held up some and chose not to. To me that's dirty. And didn't he get called for a personal foul not long after that for some type of excessive force? He's a POS in my opinion.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was a clean shot. Defenses know that if they hit Rodgers early and often that theres a good chance to get him and our offense off of their game. Its unfortunate that his collarbone broke, but it wasn't intentional. Barr is a big fast dude.

And also, this conversation reminds me of how the NFL has sissyfied the QB position over the past decade+.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the thing. Barr absolutely knows he has no chance of sacking Rodgers. He knows that Rodgers is going to get rid of the ball before he can get to him. Knowing that. he has plenty of time to let up and maybe just push him at the most. Barr is a professional athlete with a good build with quick reflexes. He's not some fat bumbling offensive lineman with a beer gut that can't stop his momentum. By rule it was not an illegal hit, but Barr could've easuly held up some and chose not to. To me that's dirty. And didn't he get called for a personal foul not long after that for some type of excessive force? He's a POS in my opinion.

oh no kidding

Obviously most NFL fans and all of us Packer fans would have wished he would have just "pushed/shoved" AR down but it's not like plays like that don't happen all the time

There were SEVERAL plays where Hundley took "unneccesary shots" and by luck(I think) he was able to get back up
We might as well say like 3 or 4 hits against Hundley were "illegal" and "cheap shots" too then

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And also, this conversation reminds me of how the NFL has sissyfied the QB position over the past decade+
Ok, let's let all of these 260 lb's have at it. The league will have nothing but garbage playing QB.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a clean shot. Defenses know that if they hit Rodgers early and often that theres a good chance to get him and our offense off of their game. Its unfortunate that his collarbone broke, but it wasn't intentional. Barr is a big fast dude.

And also, this conversation reminds me of how the NFL has sissyfied the QB position over the past decade+.

Yeah do you remember some of the shots Brett Favre used to take? lol

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
The hit was legal according to current NFL rules. However, there is a big difference between "legal" and "ethical". He clearly could see that the pass was already thrown. When you are a millionaire playing a game with other millionaires who depend on their health to keep playing, ethical means you consider the effect of your actions toward a fellow player. Barr hasn't learned ethical yet.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, let's let all of these 260 lb's have at it. The league will have nothing but garbage playing QB.

There have been bigger dudes and more DEVASTATING hits

did you watch the Packers w/ Brett Favre in the 90s or early 2000s????

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say he could have pulled up though. I don't think he could have completely avoided hitting him, but there was no need to completely follow through and drive him into the ground. Usually guys just give a hefty shove in that situation.
Watch the video and tell me how or what Barr could have done differently.
I see him leaning in and running forward while Rodgers is still holding onto the ball and then hits him just after the ball is thrown.
I just don't see how he could have stopped or changed direction when he is already in position to hit Rodgers who is still holding onto the ball.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch the video and tell me how or what Barr could have done differently.
I see him leaning in and running forward while Rodgers is still holding onto the ball and then hits him just after the ball is thrown.
I just don't see how he could have stopped or changed direction.

EXACTLY.

I started a thread JUST TO ADDRESS THIS...

It's unfortunate obviously and bad luck...but it's just professional football

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EXACTLY.

I started a thread JUST TO ADDRESS THIS...

It's unfortunate obviously and bad luck...but it's just professional football
Yeah, and from watching the replay again, I also noticed the angles that Barr was at.
He just happened to be in that direction/angle.
If Rodg had been hit from behind or straight on, I think odds are greater that he would have kept on playing.
Just really bad luck for us and especially Rodgers.
He is the one I feel the worst for.

Reaction score
take the homer glasses off
If AR doesn't get hurt, no one complains
It's just bad luck for us lol
I disagree. I think if this would've happened to a Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Carr or any other QB who is supposed to be deemed the most protected position and then they broke their collar bone and were out for a significant time (or the entire season) and they showed the same play? I would've said that it was unnecessary to launch your weight on a defenseless QB. If it was Clay Matthews I would've said he overdid it and got lucky he didn't get flagged for an excessive hit. Assuming that we are just "homers" and only our looking out for our own is a naïve remark.
BTW there is nothing funny about this

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and from watching the replay again, I also noticed the angles that Barr was at.
He just happened to be in that direction/angle.
If Rodg had been hit from behind or straight on, I think odds are greater that he would have kept on playing.
Just really bad luck for us and especially Rodgers.
He is the one I feel the worst for.

yeah

It's unfortunate b/c a collarbone break is one of the more painful bone injuries
There have been MANY MANY more devastating hits...

The Trevathan hit was OBVIOUSLY a cheap shot, there's no denying that

Some people just need to take their homer glasses off...
It was bad luck, **** happens, life happens....

And I agree, due to the angle he took to get AR and the fact AR was rolling right I think led to the angle to break his collarbone
It would have been better if he hit him from behind or just straight, but that's just the NFL for you when you play at full speed

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. I think if this would've happened to a Russell Wilson, Tom Brady, Carr or any other QB who is supposed to be deemed the most protected position and then they broke their collar bone and were out for a significant time (or the entire season) and they showed the same play? I would've said that it was unnecessary to launch your weight on a defenseless QB. If it was Clay Matthews I would've said he overdid it and got lucky he didn't get flagged for an excessive hit. Assuming that we are just "homers" and only our looking out for our own is a naïve remark.
BTW there is nothing funny about this

It's funny b/c I don't believe anyone realizes the REALITY that if you are Anthony Barr in that situation, that you can't stop and just "let up"

...go watch the play again

For cheap shots... the Trevathan hit was DEFINITELY a cheap shot, that's an example where there shouldn't be ANY argument

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For those of you defending this play, read the below particularly #2 and #4

#4 clearly states that the passer is still afforded the protection of number 2.

I have rewatched this play over and over on my dvr and there is absolutely 0% doubt that Barr intentionally did everything in his power to drive arod into the ground and land on him with the full force of his weight.

By the way the below is taken directly from the NFL rule book and Barr will be fined because what he did was absolutely illegal by the letter of NFL law and he should have been flagged.

Any of you that think Anthony barr’s Full intention was anything other than to hurt Aaron Rodgers are blind.

Roughing the Passer

Because the act of passing often puts the quarterback in a position where he is particularly vulnerable, special rules against roughing the passer apply.

1. 1-Step Rule. Pass rushers are responsible for being aware of the position of the ball in passing situations. If a pass rusher clearly should have known that the ball had already left the passer's hand before contact was made, unnecessary roughness will be called. The Referee will use the release of the ball from the passer's hand as his guideline that the passer is now fully protected. Once a pass has been released by a passer, a rushing defender may make direct contact with the passer only up through the rusher's first step after such release (prior to second step hitting the ground); thereafter the rusher must be making an attempt to avoid contact and must not continue to "drive through" or otherwise forcibly contact the passer. Incidental or inadvertent contact by a player who is easing up or being blocked into the passer will not be considered significant.

National Football League
Player in the Act of or Just After Throwing a Pass

2. Stuffing the Passer. A rushing defender is prohibited from committing such intimidating and punishing acts as "stuffing" a passer into the ground or unnecessarily wrestling or driving him down after the passer has thrown the ball, even if the rusher makes his initial contact with the passer within the one-step limitation provided for above. When tackling a passer who is in a virtually defenseless posture (e.g., during or just after throwing a pass), a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight. Instead, the defensive player must strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player's arms.

3. Hitting a Passer's Knees. A rushing defender is prohibited from forcibly hitting in the knee area or below a passer who has one or both feet on the ground, even if the initial contact is above the knee. It is not a foul if the defender is blocked (or fouled) into the passer and has no opportunity to avoid him. Note 1: A defender cannot initiate a roll or lunge and forcibly hit the passer in the knee area or below, even if he is being contacted by another player. Note 2: It is not a foul if the defender swipes, wraps, or grabs a passer in the knee area or below in an attempt to tackle him.

4. Protection While Out of Pocket. When the passer goes outside the pocket area and either continues moving with the ball (without attempting to advance the ball as a runner) or throws while on the run, he loses the protection of the one-step rule and the provision regarding low hits, but he remains covered by all other special protections afforded to a passer in the pocket. If a passer outside the pocket stops behind the line and clearly establishes a passing posture, he is covered by all of the special protections.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah

It's unfortunate b/c a collarbone break is one of the more painful bone injuries
There have been MANY MANY more devastating hits...

The Trevathan hit was OBVIOUSLY a cheap shot, there's no denying that

Some people just need to take their homer glasses off...
It was bad luck, **** happens, life happens....

And I agree, due to the angle he took to get AR and the fact AR was rolling right I think led to the angle to break his collarbone
It would have been better if he hit him from behind or just straight, but that's just the NFL for you when you play at full speed
They say our dude is out for the season when last time his collarbone got busted by Da Bears, another rivalry, (Hmmmm.... Time to put on my tinfoil hat!) he was out for like 6 weeks after breaking it later in the season and came back.
Any idea why this one is longer? Is it a worse break and that it's on his throwing side may have something to do with the healing process?

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
two steps???

go rewatch the play...

Barr was going at full speed and this is a big dude...

I wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't expect a guy that big to be able to "let up"

How do you know he was "driving him into the turf"?
Couldn't it be that he's just a big dude running at FULL SPEED who wanted to hit/tackle someone because.... gee, I don't know... that's his JOB as a professional football player...LOL
Yes, I’ve seen the replay about 50-60 times today. You can watch yourself if you’d like. Pause the video in the frame that the ball leaves Rodgers’ hand. From that point on, two steps hit the turf before bodies made contact. He made a conscious decision to drive through and make the hit hurt. Nobody is questioning the legality of the hit under the current rules. But for the league to continue moving forward they need to continue addressing player safety. It’s a multi billion dollar business, and when a face like Aaron Rodgers goes out for the season on a very avoidable play, that’s the type of thing that can’t happen. They’re losing out on millions of not tens or hundreds of millions by having one of the faces of the league on the sidelines the rest of the year. On a play that should not have occurred.

You fail to address a valid point, which seems to be a trend in keyboard warriors. How is it that players can turn directions on the drop of a dime to avoid making contact with punters? You aren’t even allowed to graze their shoelace, even though you’re charging full speed at them until the ball comes off the foot.

The was no question that Barr was not making a play on the football on that play. He was making a play on Aaron Rodgers, and he happened to get there close enough to the release of the football for it to be considered legal. Barr should not be punished for the hit, because it wasn’t illegal. But the fact that it wasn’t illegal doesn’t mean it wasn’t malicious.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
They say our dude is out for the season when last time his collarbone got busted by Da Bears, another rivalry, (Hmmmm.... Time to put on my tinfoil hat!) he was out for like 6 weeks after breaking it later in the season and came back.
Any idea why this one is longer? Is it a worse break and that it's on his throwing side may have something to do with the healing process?
Throwing shoulder.. Other was non throwing