Should The NFL Suspend Anthony Barr For The Play?

Should The NFL Suspend Barr?

• Yes, he must be given a harsher punishment than Trevathan for the league to have any integrity

• No, Goodell is too chickensh.t and stupid to do it

• No because it was a legal hit

• The hit was OK, just late

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They say our dude is out for the season when last time his collarbone got busted by Da Bears, another rivalry, (Hmmmm.... Time to put on my tinfoil hat!) he was out for like 6 weeks after breaking it later in the season and came back.
Any idea why this one is longer? Is it a worse break and that it's on his throwing side may have something to do with the healing process?
He was out 8 weeks last time, and it was on his non-throwing shoulder and was not a complete break.

I don’t know if they’ve release the details on the severity of this one, but I think it’s safe to say that the fact it’s on his throwing shoulder makes things a little more complicated. There also hasn’t been a concrete timeline given for this injury, just statements saying that it might be the end of his season (which is true for any serious injury).

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I think it was excessive, but it is an almost routine for a quarterback to get hit after releasing the ball when a defender is gunning for him.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of sour grapes in here today. I'm disappointed, but its a game.

Maybe I'm just remembering the 80s/early 90s. At least there's Sunday ticket now, so if we suck we can still watch the games.

Not so much 30 years ago.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, I’ve seen the replay about 50-60 times today. You can watch yourself if you’d like. Pause the video in the frame that the ball leaves Rodgers’ hand. From that point on, two steps hit the turf before bodies made contact. He made a conscious decision to drive through and make the hit hurt. Nobody is questioning the legality of the hit under the current rules. But for the league to continue moving forward they need to continue addressing player safety. It’s a multi billion dollar business, and when a face like Aaron Rodgers goes out for the season on a very avoidable play, that’s the type of thing that can’t happen. They’re losing out on millions of not tens or hundreds of millions by having one of the faces of the league on the sidelines the rest of the year. On a play that should not have occurred.

You fail to address a valid point, which seems to be a trend in keyboard warriors. How is it that players can turn directions on the drop of a dime to avoid making contact with punters? You aren’t even allowed to graze their shoelace, even though you’re charging full speed at them until the ball comes off the foot.

The was no question that Barr was not making a play on the football on that play. He was making a play on Aaron Rodgers, and he happened to get there close enough to the release of the football for it to be considered legal. Barr should not be punished for the hit, because it wasn’t illegal. But the fact that it wasn’t illegal doesn’t mean it wasn’t malicious.

You've seen the play 50 to 60 times?!?!??? WOW.

So you did SEE that Anthony Barr was CLEARLY ALREADY running at FULL SPEED before the ball was thrown right?

I mean that has to be obvious right? Even you could see that right?

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you keep posting everywhere that Barr runs a sub 4.50 40...

“At the 2014 NFL Combine, Barr ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds”

If you’re going to try to use irrelevant stats to support your archaic view of the game, at least make sure they’re accurate. Football players are required to change directions or let up in countless other scenarios: defenseless receivers, any quarterback in the pocket after throwing, punters, kickers. There is nothing different about this play, other than the fact that the rules on that specific type of play aren’t black and white. If Anthony Barr is physically incapable of letting up or adjusting his hit trajectory, he wouldn’t be on a starting roster in today’s NFL. These guys train to do that, because the rules of the game require it in several scenarios.

Yes - 10+ years ago, that was a hell of a play and a great hit! Guess what, fans are becoming less barbaric, the NFL depends more on individual players actually playing games to make money, and the NFL is “concerned about player safety”.

Anthony Barr could have, and should have let up. This should have been a simple hard knockdown play, not a drive into the turf hit. From Barr’s perspective at the time of the hit, the only possible outcome he could have been hoping for was hurting Rodgers - the ball was already gone so he sure wasn’t making a play on that.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've seen the play 50 to 60 times?!?!??? WOW.

So you did SEE that Anthony Barr was CLEARLY ALREADY running at FULL SPEED before the ball was thrown right?

I mean that has to be obvious right? Even you could see that right?
Yes, he was running full speed and took two full speed steps before hitting a defenseless quarterback. And the full speed linebacker should have let up on that play just as they are required by league rules to let up on punters after a kick, or defenseless receivers if they don’t catch the pass, or on quarterbacks that are in the pocket. The entire stance you’re basing your argument on is provably false by countless plays involving defenseless players in which defenders let up or change directions while going “full speed”. I’m sorry, there’s just no such thing in real life as “maximum overdrive”, these guys can let up on a hit if they want - Barr didn’t want to.

If you don’t like today’s NFL, there is plenty of film on games in the 90s and earlier where targeting players was encouraged.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What might help some people who don't understand how physics or our bodies work is to run FULL SPEED at a cone or something and then
Since you keep posting everywhere that Barr runs a sub 4.50 40...

“At the 2014 NFL Combine, Barr ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds”

If you’re going to try to use irrelevant stats to support your archaic view of the game, at least make sure they’re accurate. Football players are required to change directions or let up in countless other scenarios: defenseless receivers, any quarterback in the pocket after throwing, punters, kickers. There is nothing different about this play, other than the fact that the rules on that specific type of play aren’t black and white. If Anthony Barr is physically incapable of letting up or adjusting his hit trajectory, he wouldn’t be on a starting roster in today’s NFL. These guys train to do that, because the rules of the game require it in several scenarios.

Yes - 10+ years ago, that was a hell of a play and a great hit! Guess what, fans are becoming less barbaric, the NFL depends more on individual players actually playing games to make money, and the NFL is “concerned about player safety”.

Anthony Barr could have, and should have let up. This should have been a simple hard knockdown play, not a drive into the turf hit. From Barr’s perspective at the time of the hit, the only possible outcome he could have been hoping for was hurting Rodgers - the ball was already gone so he sure wasn’t making a play on that.

thanks for creating an account just to comment on this

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he was running full speed and took two full speed steps before hitting a defenseless quarterback. And the full speed linebacker should have let up on that play just as they are required by league rules to let up on punters after a kick, or defenseless receivers if they don’t catch the pass, or on quarterbacks that are in the pocket. The entire stance you’re basing your argument on is provably false by countless plays involving defenseless players in which defenders let up or change directions while going “full speed”. I’m sorry, there’s just no such thing in real life as “maximum overdrive”, these guys can let up on a hit if they want - Barr didn’t want to.

If you don’t like today’s NFL, there is plenty of film on games in the 90s and earlier where targeting players was encouraged.

how about this.

You go put on some full football padding and then run FULL SPEED at a tackling dummy or something in grass with cleats on and see if you can "let up" or "stop" on a dime within "2 steps" of hitting it and go record it and see if you can do that and post it on here, ok?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea he could have but you have to put yourself in Barr's shoes

This is a BIG dude going at full speed at the best player in the NFL

Yeah, hindsight is you/we wish he would have just "pushed/shoved" him down... but he had already been lowering his head almost concurrent with the release of the pass.

It's not like you can expect him to just quickly go "oh, AR just threw the ball maybe I should just raise my head up and let up" all going at FULL SPEED
nope! he was looking the whole time. he could have let up some.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea he could have but you have to put yourself in Barr's shoes

This is a BIG dude going at full speed at the best player in the NFL

Yeah, hindsight is you/we wish he would have just "pushed/shoved" him down... but he had already been lowering his head almost concurrent with the release of the pass.

It's not like you can expect him to just quickly go "oh, AR just threw the ball maybe I should just raise my head up and let up" all going at FULL SPEED
I was with you til you made the "he was already lowering his head comment"

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
how about this.

You go put on some full football padding and then run FULL SPEED at a tackling dummy or something in grass with cleats on and see if you can "let up" or "stop" on a dime within "2 steps" of hitting it and go record it and see if you can do that and post it on here, ok?

Certainly not NFL, but I am 60 years old and did spend my try at High School football way back when. I personally saw just that very thing happen from the opposite side. Our all star player, future College athlete and NFL employee, deliberately pulled up on me just a step or two away because he didn't want to "crush" me. It can be done by big, fast, athletic guys. They are highly skilled and highly attuned to their bodies. But as I said before, Barr's hit was totally legal, (and happens all over the league a lot without injury), but it was not "ethical" in my opinion. However, he was probably trying to "send a message" and didn't think about the possible results of his actions. (Unless there was a hidden player's bounty.)

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What might help some people who don't understand how physics or our bodies work is to run FULL SPEED at a cone or something and then

thanks for creating an account just to comment on this
So, because I made an account today to discuss the hit, the facts that I brought up hold no merit? Unlike you, I’m not stating my opinion or making things up. And because I point out actual facts that contradict your point of view, you ignore what I’ve said and attempt to attack me personally. Cheers.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
how about this.

I am not a professional athlete, and again you try to attack me personally because the facts that I bring up contradict your opinion. There are at least 60+ examples of exactly what you’re asking for every single week in game film. Just look at replays of any punt or kick, or the several hits/knockdowns on quarterbacks. Those are plays where players are required to let up, and they do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is all well and good, but I am pretty sure this relates more to the the passer in the pocket not one running outside the the tackle box. If so, there are a lot of penalties not being called players hitting Cam Newton.
if that's the only place it applies, expect it to be changed. He knew he threw the ball and he didn't take 1 step, he took like 3. and they're allowed to "hit" They usually aren't allowed to wrap, leave their feet and drive the QB into the ground. I'll be surprised if him and Joseph for the forearm to the head, aren't getting letters and fines this week. you really think Barr didn't know he had already thrown the ball? He had plenty of time to pull up and give the QB a shove, like usually happens. Rodgers ceased to be a runner the second the ball left his hand. You get a step, Barr took at least 2-3. you disagree?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a couple of key differences, Clay was actually within the 1 step, not 2-3. They both went to the ground. Clay did not pick him up and then leave his feet to drive him into the ground. he never wrapped him up and picked him up, he put his other arm out and hit the ground the same time Palmer did.

You don't see them? All Barr had to do was NOT pick him and drive him into the ground with all his weight after picking up and it's ****ing obvious he pile drove his shoulder directly into Rodgers. You know what you do to make it legal? if you can't slow down (though it's a BS excuse as people do it every week) you just put your arms out. Contact is made, knock the QB down and you break your own fall when you darn well the ball was already thrown. Mr. Barr, expect your fine.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying he was intentionally trying to hurt AR though? I don't see that reasoning ...

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people keep saying he was intentionally trying to hurt AR though? I don't see that reasoning ...
Because there was no other positive outcome possible. The ball was gone, the play was no longer happening in that location. The only outcome to hope for as the defender following trough 100% on that hit was to send a message (physical pain).

I’m not saying he wanted to break a collarbone. But his only intention on that hit was to lay a hurting on Rodgers.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do y'all know he wanted to hurt AR though?

Can y'all read his mind?
Did he go helmet to helmet? No

Is it because he's black ?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I played MLB thru 1-year of Div III college and I will admit that I pile drove QB's with the intent to remove them from the equation...yeah, I was a foul tempered turd. Barr intended to injure if he could and broke no rules in doing so. BUT...he, like me whe I played, is an a-hole who SHOULD have been leveled.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do y'all personally know Anthony Barr though ?

I would like to know though ...

Let's try not to assume here guys

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Chad Greenway had caused it? What would the reaction be then?

Does Chad still play?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and you won't, because you don't want to. anybody else can see he took 2 steps to the QB and another full step with him wrapped in his arms, left his feet and drove him into the ground. If his brain can't register in 3 full steps that the ball is already gone and he is stopping nobody, you tell me what his intentions were if not to inflict as much damage on Rodgers as he could? LOL

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if Chad Greenway had caused it? What would the reaction be then?

Does Chad still play?
take your race baiting ******** and get the **** out. This is 2-3 threads now just today. You belong on the pile. Later

Members online

Latest posts