Should The NFL Suspend Anthony Barr For The Play?

Should The NFL Suspend Barr?

• Yes, he must be given a harsher punishment than Trevathan for the league to have any integrity

• No, Goodell is too chickensh.t and stupid to do it

• No because it was a legal hit

• The hit was OK, just late

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 6794

My Randall and Dix tackling comment was intended to be tongue in cheek, since both of those players seem to have forgotten how to tackle (wrapping a player up and taking them to the ground like Barr did). For whatever reason, coaching, ego, etc....Randall seems to approach tackles off balance and prefers launching his body at a ball carrier's legs, which he misses way too often.

In addition you forgot to mention that Randall can't get off of any blocks either.

Another perspective that no ones seems to talk about is that QBs need to know how to protect themselves as well. Everyone claiming that Barr had time to lay off, well AR also had the same amount of time. This game is a gamble on every play. AR knew he was in pursuit and chose to keep it in play and possibly absorb a hit. He gambled and lost. Hindsight is 20/20 but IMO he should've thrown it away sooner and lived to play another down. The reward vs risk on that particular play wasn't worth it.

Rodgers makes a living out of extending plays though. It's not in his DNA to throw away balls when there's a chance to complete a pass.

Beagle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good well thought out debate. It's easy to assume that Barr's intent was to inflict pain by driving to the ground when watching several times in slow motion. I know when I played ball many many years ago lol that when falling I always tried to adjust my fall to cause as little damage as possible. You get pretty good at it but doesn't always go the way you want to. Usually on those tackles you try twist and try get the one your tackling to roll with you to deflect full weight impact. These guys travel a lot faster than I ever did and it wasn't a sure thing at slower speeds so you can speculate on intent all day long but only Barr knows that.
Another perspective that no ones seems to talk about is that QBs need to know how to protect themselves as well. Everyone claiming that Barr had time to lay off, well AR also had the same amount of time. This game is a gamble on every play. AR knew he was in pursuit and chose to keep it in play and possibly absorb a hit. He gambled and lost. Hindsight is 20/20 but IMO he should've thrown it away sooner and lived to play another down. The reward vs risk on that particular play wasn't worth it.

Fully agree. These things always look worse in slo-mo.

@Cvikes80 by the way, I like your avatar. College football team? Burger bar?
;)

Cvikes80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers makes a living out of extending plays though. It's not in his DNA to throw away balls when there's a chance to complete a pass.

That's very true but it's also part of the cause to the current predicament.

@Cvikes80 by the way, I like your avatar. College football team? Burger bar?

Nah just HS.. long long time ago. Lol.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gee, a player on the opposite team tackled a player on our team on purpose. I never in a million years thought that would ever happen.

PackerfaninCarolina making a thread whining about it on the other hand...that was a given.

Yup, just like Ndamakung stepped on him by accident right?

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the hit was late, but the way he rode Rodgers to the ground with all of his body weight on top of him, it was clear he was trying to hurt Rodgers...that part of it was both intentional and malicious...

Cvikes80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the hit was late, but the way he rode Rodgers to the ground with all of his body weight on top of him, it was clear he was trying to hurt Rodgers...that part of it was both intentional and malicious...

Ugh....

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, hopefully Rodgers comes back next year with a plan to not only get in rhythm but just pour it on these guys. I don't give a damn what any fans here think cuz I believe there is no such thing as running up the score being wrong.

Cvikes80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, hopefully Rodgers comes back next year with a plan to not only get in rhythm but just pour it on these guys. I don't give a damn what any fans here think cuz I believe there is no such thing as running up the score being wrong.
You guys need cornerbacks. There's not going to be any pouring if your D can't find some consistency. You guys miss Al Harris... He was the true x factor when the packers were dominant

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys need cornerbacks. There's not going to be any pouring if your D can't find some consistency. You guys miss Al Harris... He was the true x factor when the packers were dominant

It doesn't take but one draft to get those plus Kevin King will not have a sophomore slump I guarantee.

You should worry about finding a QB who isn't injury prone.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Harris was definitely an above average starter during his tenure with the Packers he wasn't an elite cornerback by any means. The team won the Super Bowl the year after he left for Miami.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Harris was definitely an above average starter during his tenure with the Packers he wasn't an elite cornerback by any means. The team won the Super Bowl the year after he left for Miami.

Yeah, I wouldn't even know when the last time we had an elite corner on this team was since .... Craig Newsome pre-knee injury maybe? Bout the closest thing I can think of.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Another edge rusher wouldn't hurt either. Matthews isn't a force anymore. At CB Kevin King has a bright future. Randall and Rollins are busts. Randall's 2 INTs were the result of tipped passes by somebody else.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I wouldn't even know when the last time we had an elite corner on this team was since .... Craig Newsome pre-knee injury maybe? Bout the closest thing I can think of.

It seems you forgot about Charles Woodson. In addition Sam Shields was pretty good as well.

Members online

Latest posts