Should The NFL Suspend Anthony Barr For The Play?

Should The NFL Suspend Barr?

• Yes, he must be given a harsher punishment than Trevathan for the league to have any integrity

• No, Goodell is too chickensh.t and stupid to do it

• No because it was a legal hit

• The hit was OK, just late

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
this was about the craziest thing I have read yet about the hit Barr delivered:

“Anyone who’s ever watched me on television or read things that I’ve written, knows I’m not a big Aaron Rodgers fan. But I don’t want to see him get hurt and knocked out for the rest of the season, especially by a hit that I have always considered a dirty play and the cheapest of cheap shots.”

Why Crazy? It wasn't what was said, it was who said it. It came from Skip Bayless! If I read through the lines, probably just Skip once again trying to use AR to boost his ratings.

https://thevikingage.com/2017/10/16/bayless-calls-barrs-hit-a-dirty-play/

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

this was about the craziest thing I have read yet about the hit Barr delivered:

“Anyone who’s ever watched me on television or read things that I’ve written, knows I’m not a big Aaron Rodgers fan. But I don’t want to see him get hurt and knocked out for the rest of the season, especially by a hit that I have always considered a dirty play and the cheapest of cheap shots.”

Why Crazy? It wasn't what was said, it was who said it. It came from Skip Bayless! If I read through the lines, probably just Skip once again trying to use AR to boost his ratings.

https://thevikingage.com/2017/10/16/bayless-calls-barrs-hit-a-dirty-play/

Did you have to publish this ??..........:rolleyes:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there should stricter roughing the passer guidelines. Sure, steps have been taken to protect the QB, but they are vulnerable on every single play. In general, 250-300 pound players running into a defenseless player just seems barbaric, especially considering they play the marquee position in all of sports.

In this case, Rodgers had clearly released the ball, something Barr would have had to realize before hitting him and driving him to the ground. I think the 2 step rule is not sufficient anymore, as pass rushers can abuse this in order to"get in the QB's head" by delivering an unnecessary hit. It's not just a knock against Barr, as Matthews does it all the time. It may be legal, but it's cheap.

Why don't the same rules apply to QBs as punters? If you don't get close enough to touch the ball, players can't even touch them. That seems reasonable for a position that is just as vulnerable to unnecessary hits.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there should stricter roughing the passer guidelines. Sure, steps have been taken to protect the QB, but they are vulnerable on every single play. In general, 250-300 pound players running into a defenseless player just seems barbaric, especially considering they play the marquee position in all of sports.

In this case, Rodgers had clearly released the ball, something Barr would have had to realize before hitting him and driving him to the ground. I think the 2 step rule is not sufficient anymore, as pass rushers can abuse this in order to"get in the QB's head" by delivering an unnecessary hit. It's not just a knock against Barr, as Matthews does it all the time. It may be legal, but it's cheap.

Why don't the same rules apply to QBs as punters? If you don't get close enough to touch the ball, players can't even touch them. That seems reasonable for a position that is just as vulnerable to unnecessary hits.

I think it's mostly about the hit within the hit as people were saying. I don't know if eliminating the 2-step rule such as down to 1-step or no hit period once he releases is the end-all-be-all, it's that players should be held accountable for the hit within the hit which is what we've been talking about as far as Barr is concerned.

I guess the thing we'd all be concerned about is would this rule be tweaked in such a way that we'd be seeing unintended consequences such as the bad call against Blake Martinez when he collided with Bryant? The refs flagged him in that case because by the letter of the law, he had hit a defenseless player, but it could be seen by all that clearly the intent to injure or knock him out or whatever was not there. I know that isn't entirely related to this current debacle as it was LB on WR vs LB on QB, but I think there are some principles that could follow in the same direction. But I would say, get enough video reviews on hits QBs take like Barr's and somebody either on the field officiating crew or in NY should be able to see the intent of a hit is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You HAVE to allow the defense to play too. Otherwise put flags on the QBs hips.
Been secretly thinking the same thing to myself, but didn't want to say it. ;) Or just put a red jersey on them and no contact, they get called "down" by a ref on a judgement call. This is the NFL, players get hit and injured as a result all the time and yes, it sucks that it finally happened to our best player. But I sure hope they don't start bubble wrapping QB's and WR's to over protect them and change the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers still had the ball id agree. But they did change this rule 7-8 years ago about driving QBs into the ground. i agree that the defense needs to be allowed to play, and the contact was completely fine. It was how he finished it knowing full well the ball was gone. He wasn't making a play any ball carrier and he knew it but went thru with it anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Barr's final hip twist at the end of the tackle, does make it look like he was trying to adjust his body in order to land on top of AR. Whether it was intentional, instinctual or illegal is something that will be debated for a long time. It isn't the first time or the last time we have seen it. These guys, although Randall and Dix may have missed that day, are instructed to wrap up the opposing player on a tackle and take the other player down and in my eyes, that is what Barr was doing. They are also very aware that big hits make highlight reels as well as bigger paydays. I sure don't like the consequences of the play, but still can't get myself to say that there was anything glaringly wrong with what Barr did on the play.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you’re talking about the horse collar tackle out of bounds on Kap, that was an extremely dirty play. I can’t remember if he got suspended or not, but he should have. And that was my thought watching it live. It was legitimately one of those moments where I was cursing at my television asking Matthews why he made such a stupid decision.

Matthews was fined for the hit on Kaepernick but didn't get suspended for it.

These guys, although Randall and Dix may have missed that day, are instructed to wrap up the opposing player on a tackle and take the other player down and in my eyes, that is what Barr was doing.

As mentioned before I think Barr's hit was borderline legal but it's not comparable to Randall or Clinton-Dix tackling a ball carrier as Barr should have definitely been aware that Rodgers already threw the ball as he made contact with the quarterback.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, except for the part about nothing being wrong. They made it a point of emphasis that guys couldn't be driving QB's into the ground like this a while ago now. Even sent out league memo's about it. You can see guys do it every week where they just blast a QB and bring him down to their side, because they know they have to, it's been almost 10 years since that's changed. Barr chose to do differently and to me it was obvious as his momentum was taking him to a legal finish of the play and he changed it, so he could drive him into the ground. I'll be surprised if him and Joseph aren't getting fines today. but i've been wrong before

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As mentioned before I think Barr's hit was borderline legal but it's not comparable to Randall or Clinton-Dix tackling a ball carrier as Barr should have definitely been aware that Rodgers already threw the ball as he made contact with the quarterback.

My Randall and Dix tackling comment was intended to be tongue in cheek, since both of those players seem to have forgotten how to tackle (wrapping a player up and taking them to the ground like Barr did). For whatever reason, coaching, ego, etc....Randall seems to approach tackles off balance and prefers launching his body at a ball carrier's legs, which he misses way too often.

Cvikes80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good well thought out debate. It's easy to assume that Barr's intent was to inflict pain by driving to the ground when watching several times in slow motion. I know when I played ball many many years ago lol that when falling I always tried to adjust my fall to cause as little damage as possible. You get pretty good at it but doesn't always go the way you want to. Usually on those tackles you try twist and try get the one your tackling to roll with you to deflect full weight impact. These guys travel a lot faster than I ever did and it wasn't a sure thing at slower speeds so you can speculate on intent all day long but only Barr knows that.
Another perspective that no ones seems to talk about is that QBs need to know how to protect themselves as well. Everyone claiming that Barr had time to lay off, well AR also had the same amount of time. This game is a gamble on every play. AR knew he was in pursuit and chose to keep it in play and possibly absorb a hit. He gambled and lost. Hindsight is 20/20 but IMO he should've thrown it away sooner and lived to play another down. The reward vs risk on that particular play wasn't worth it.

Cvikes80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did not have to tackle Rodgers the way he did. Rodgers had clearly threw the football away. Should of been a penalty. Just my opinion.

I can agree with not having to make the tackle but Rodgers could've thrown it away too. The penalty is borderline with Rodgers getting plenty of them he hadn't really deserved in the past because of the over the top protection on QBs. It's pointless to argue about the penalty tho. Personally I wish that play never happened. Wish we would have had the chance to beat you guys with 12 on the field. I don't enjoy it the same.. It's bleh.

Hope he recovers quickly

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
...but it's not comparable to Randall or Clinton-Dix tackling a ball carrier...

I have trouble imagining such a fictitious hypothetical as either Randall or Clinton-Dix actually making a tackle. Whenever I see them in my mind, it's always a whiff.

Just sayin'... :tdown:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score

I agree. Can you imagine how many calls would be made in game? Let's just go for 4 hour games. Just think, defensive players will be so afraid to hit QB's all the number will go up. Greater passing yards, completion percentage. Better idea, let's just put flags on them.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know he did it on purpose cuz Rodgers publicly said so. When he was cussing on the sidelines he was calling Barr out for what he did. That was a late hit and Barr came at him from that angle because he knew that was how to try and dislocate a shoulder.

I say it's time for Fraudger Goodell to put some big boy pants on and actually do his job. If he doesn't, that bountygate thing will have been the biggest hoax in NFL history because not a single player got hurt in it.

Gee, a player on the opposite team tackled a player on our team on purpose. I never in a million years thought that would ever happen.

PackerfaninCarolina making a thread whining about it on the other hand...that was a given.

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Explain to me why a 10 second clip of Airod walking off the field is post worthy once let alone twice.
Did you have the sound turned on?
I know he did it on purpose cuz Rodgers publicly said so. When he was cussing on the sidelines he was calling Barr out for what he did. That was a late hit and Barr came at him from that angle because he knew that was how to try and dislocate a shoulder.

Latest posts