Shields Signed

D

Deleted member 6794

Can't just look at the total number. Verner is getting two million more guaranteed than Shields. If Shields turns out not worth the contract, his deal is better than Verner's.

Yeah, but that's not the main goal of signing someone to a long-term contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

Considering players aren't guaranteed to live up to contracts, the guaranteed money matters a lot.

I don't see any reason why Verner shouldn't play out the contract he signed, have a hard believing that with Shields (over $12 million cap hit in 2016 and 2017).

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why Verner shouldn't play out the contract he signed, have a hard believing that with Shields (over $12 million cap hit in 2016 and 2017).

Could say the same about most free agents don't work out or all the drafts busts. Things don't work out often in the NFL.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Sherman and Thomas getting their deals now, the days of Seattle trading for big players and signing more than minimal cost free agents is coming to a close, especially with Wilson still needing a deal.

This will help the Packers and rest of the league catch back up.

D

Deleted member 6794

Could say the same about most free agents don't work out or all the drafts busts. Things don't work out often in the NFL.

Yeah, but structuring a contract in a way that releasing him would result in more than $6 million in dead money isn't a great way to do business .

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but structuring a contract in a way that releasing him would result in more than $6 million in dead money isn't a great way to do business .

Have to give guaranteed money to some guys otherwise they wont' sign the contract. Just saying that if both Verner and Shields don't work out in the next two years. Shields will cost less than Verner to get rid of.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Sherman and Thomas getting their deals now, the days of Seattle trading for big players and signing more than minimal cost free agents is coming to a close, especially with Wilson still needing a deal.

This will help the Packers and rest of the league catch back up.

Once again, they still have approximately $10 million less than the Packers committed in cap hit towards 2015. They have to re-sign Wilson, we have to extend Nelson and Cobb. They aren't in a worse situation than the Packers.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, they still have approximately $10 million less than the Packers committed in cap hit towards 2015. They have to re-sign Wilson, we have to extend Nelson and Cobb. They aren't in a worse situation than the Packers.

I'm not saying they are in a bad situation, just pointing out they will soon be like the Packers who cannot afford to sign expensive guys while holding onto their own. They'll have to start doing one or the other.

D

Deleted member 6794

Have to give guaranteed money to some guys otherwise they wont' sign the contract. Just saying that if both Verner and Shields don't work out in the next two years. Shields will cost less than Verner to get rid of.

No, if Shields would be released after two season he would have been paid $20.7 million and would result in $6.25 million in dead money.

Verner will be paid $12.5 million during the first two seasons and releading him wouldn't result in any dead money for the Bucs.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, if Shields would be released after two season he would have been paid $20.7 million and would result in $6.25 million in dead money.

Verner will be paid $12.5 million during the first two seasons and releading him wouldn't result in any dead money for the Bucs.

My bad then. Either way, Shields is a better player than Verner so it makes sense he gets paid more.

H

HardRightEdge

Can't just look at the total number. Verner is getting two million more guaranteed than Shields. If Shields turns out not worth the contract, his deal is better than Verner's.
The dead cap is enough that these guys will be kept around through year 3 even if they're not quite up to expectations.

The "get rid of" factor comes more into play in longer "megadeals" where there's a wide gap between what you'd have to pay in salary vs. the dead cap amount. This is fairly typical in the out years in those kinds of deals.

D

Deleted member 6794

The dead cap is enough that these guys will be kept around through year 3 even if they're not quite up to expectations.

The "get rid of" factor comes more into play in longer "megadeals" where there's a wide gap between what you'd have to pay in salary vs. the dead cap amount. This is fairly typical in the out years in those kinds of deals.

Verner's contract wouldn't result in any dead money if he would be released after the 2014 season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is getting paid 50% more than Verner over the life of their respective contracts. It was just one example.

Sorry, didn't mean to make it seem like I was picking on your post, it was simply a good starting point for me to bring up the comparison. One thing to remember is that Shields' deal actually has less guaranteed money than Verner's.

D

Deleted member 6794

One thing to remember is that Shields' deal actually has less guaranteed money than Verner's.

Nevertheless I prefer the way Verner´s contract is structured. It´s possible to include guaranteed money in a contract without it resulting in any dead money counting against the cap if a player is released during the length of the contract.

H

HardRightEdge

Verner's contract wouldn't result in any dead money if he would be released after the 2014 season.
I see now that Verner did not get a signing bonus. However, it looks like he got $14 guaranteed with $8.25 mil to be paid out in 2014, leaving a $6.25 mil hangover for subsequent years, spread as $4.25 mil in 2015 and the final $2 mil in 2016.

Point taken, though. Big singing bonuses have a dead cap risk beyond the guarantee; without the bonus there's no liability once the guarantee is paid out.

H

HardRightEdge

I know that's what overthecap.com says, but I don't see how that's possible. The remaining $6.25 mil cash that would have to be paid out after 2014 under the guarantee has to go against the cap in one way, shape or form.

It may not be called "dead cap" because there's a cash payment to go with it, but the affect is the same.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know that's what overthecap.com says, but I don't see how that's possible. The remaining $6.25 mil cash that would have to be paid out after 2014 under the guarantee has to go against the cap in one way, shape or form.

It may not be called "dead cap" because there's a cash payment to go with it, but the affect is the same.

His $4 million salary for 2015 is guaranteed for injury only. The money would become fully guaranteed if he´s on the roster on the fifth day of the 2015 league year. Same story with the $2 million guaranteed for 2016.

H

HardRightEdge

His $4 million salary for 2015 is guaranteed for injury only. The money would become fully guaranteed if he´s on the roster on the fifth day of the 2015 league year. Same story with the $2 million guaranteed for 2016.
That's interesting. The gap between Shields and Verner grows wider.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's been with us for 4 years, and he's been a corner the whole time, so I'm pretty sure that's not accurate. Not that I don't agree about him having upside.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that we need all the help we can get in the secondary with the receivers we have to face in our own division.

BTW Tramon is getting paid $7.5 million in 2014 with a cap hit of $9.5 million, I'm surprised that deal hasn't been restructured by now.
Yeah, but would he really take less money? They can't really cut him and based on how he played at the end of last year I don't think he'd have a hard time finding another job that would pay 7.5. We'll see what happens next year and in the draft.

Members online

Latest posts