Shields Signed

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 yr $39 million

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a lot of money. Sam is a good CB and all but he still isn't a great tackler and gets beat a fair share of times not to mention he also tends to get injured at some point every year. Not sure almost 10m a year is quite worth it.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Bears General Manager Phil Emery wants to win games. But if he can bring families closer together, that might help too. According to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune, the Bears are believed to have shown interest in Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett to help bolster their defensive line. Last year, Emery landed tight end Martellus…

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems a bit overpay to me. Top 10 corner money. Well, happy to have him back at any rate. Now, what to do with ole Tramon...

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way he locked down Top Receivers last year I don't have a problem with it. We would be much worse off without him.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now this is out of the way, its time to sign us a Safety and a LB and the draft will be gravy.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It only shaves 5 mil off the cap for this year, not a big deal for this season. There's still plenty of bank left. I'd now make safety Jarius Byrd the top priority.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Bit over paid but by the way I felt while reading it, was a sigh of relief. I'd rather have Shields than play against him. Though honestly how would you feel about having someone on your team with a rival's Superbowl tattooed on his neck?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
isnt that 15 million this year?

I don't think so. Actually, if you include the signing bonus, I guess this year's hit is 8 million. I don't have the link, someone had it on the current Facebook thread on this. It's on PackersNews FB page.

Regardless, this needed to be done. Look at the stupid Bears now - their offense is actually very, very good. We need Shields against them and he has been a Bear killer so far. Throw in Megatron, Cordarelle Peterson on the Vikings, etc. Our division is receiver-loaded.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The Packers made CB Sam Shields a priority in free agency and they did not mess around, agreeing on a four-year deal with the veteran before he was able to sign with another team.

Source: JSOnline.com

D

Deleted member 6794

isnt that 15 million this year?

If Breer's numbers are correct the cap hit for this season will be$5.625 million ($3.125 million prorated signing bonus, $2.5 million base salary).

Will increase to $9.125 million in 2015 and $12.125 million for 2016 and 2017.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those supporting the Byrd signing, would you do it at the expense of Tramon?

Maybe this belongs in the Byrd thread. To answer your question, sure. If for no other reason than we seem better at drafting corners than we are at drafting safeties.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way he locked down Top Receivers last year I don't have a problem with it. We would be much worse off without him.

This. Signing Shields was their #1 priority this off season. Now, extend Cobb and Nelson and maybe see if the big guy from the Giants can fit in. I'd be fine if that's all they did. Oh, and Kuhn can't possibly be asking for too much. Sign his as well. He'll be worth it.

D

Deleted member 6794

For those supporting the Byrd signing, would you do it at the expense of Tramon?

I wouldn't cut Tramon, but resteucture his contract. In the process turn his 2014 base salary of $7.5 million into a signing bonus of $6.645 million and pay him the veteran's minimum base salary of $855,000 and extend the contract for another three years.

In this case Tramon would actually get the same amount of cash for this season, his cap hit would drop to $4.5 million though. Don't know what I would offer him for the remaining three years as base salary, but with prorated bonus of approximately $1.7 million per season his cap hit shouldn't be huge anymore for an aging CB.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't cut Tramon, but resteucture his contract. In the process turn his 2014 base salary of $7.5 million into a signing bonus of $6.645 million and pay him the veteran's minimum base salary of $855,000 and extend the contract for another three years.

In this case Tramon would actually get the same amount of cash for this season, his cap hit would drop to $4.5 million though. Don't know what I would offer him for the remaining three years as base salary, but with prorated bonus of approximately $1.7 million per season his cap hit shouldn't be huge anymore for an aging CB.

thats what I would like to see done, as it makes alot of sense

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too much money essentially ten million a year. We could have gotten Jairus Byrd for that no question he is only 27 just one year older than Shields and a much better player. I like Shields he has been a really special player in spurts but I don't like him for nearly 10 million per. TT got outplayed but Rosenhaus seems like he got a bit scared that none of his free agents were biting on his offers and he over payed. There is no way any other team was poised to give Shields that much cash. Now all we can do is hope he becomes a consistently special player. Maybe Ted will surprise everyone and offer Byrd the same money and give the Packers one of the top secondaries in the league. Burnett and Byrd at safety and Shields and Williams at corner with Hayward and Hyde manning the slots in nickel and dime. That would be a tough defensive backfield to throw on.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Way too much money essentially ten million a year. We could have gotten Jairus Byrd for that no question he is only 27 just one year older than Shields and a much better player. I like Shields he has been a really special player in spurts but I don't like him for nearly 10 million per. TT got outplayed but Rosenhaus seems like he got a bit scared that none of his free agents were biting on his offers and he over payed. There is no way any other team was poised to give Shields that much cash. Now all we can do is hope he becomes a consistently special player. Maybe Ted will surprise everyone and offer Byrd the same money and give the Packers one of the top secondaries in the league. Burnett and Byrd at safety and Shields and Williams at corner with Hayward and Hyde manning the slots in nickel and dime. That would be a tough defensive backfield to throw on.

It's only 5 mill against the cap this year. There saying cap goes to 160 mill by 2016. I like the deal. TT doesn't have to use a top pick on a corner and can still get Byrd or Chris Clemons. Maybe draft Pryor. I agree. We are dominant safety away from having a dominant secondary with Hyde and Hayward in nickle and dime, Is Pryor that guy?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My first thought was it was too much too soon. But after i thought about it. This sentiment came to mind... And good CBs are expensive any way you look at it.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I bet Byrd gets much more.

Members online

Latest posts