Shields Signed

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how TT "overpaid" for Shields? This guy was asked to cover the likes of Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall and Dez Bryant . Three of the top six or seven Wrs in the entire Nfl and Shields most definitely held his own. I can honestly say that Shields was the most consistent performer in the secondary if not the entire defense. We have to remember that this guy was an undrafted FA who had no clue how to be an Nfl corner not to long ago. So if TT overpaid he did so on a guy that is our best cover corner and playmaker for a secondary that didn't have to many big plays. If Shields stays healthy I'm willing to bet anyone here he turns into a top 5 corner and makes the pro bowl. The only attribute that Shields lacked was experience and now he's got one more season under his belt. shields earned his contract. If TT is such a brilliant Gm then give him credit for resigning Shields vs having 3 overpaid players in the secondary which wouldn't make him seem so brilliant correct?

I almost never agree with rodell, but I agree with him 100% on this one. Shields is getting what he's getting because that's what guys who do what he does get. If he signed elsewhere then I think people would change their tune after a few games where we get owned by top WRs. I'm glad we spent a lot on one of our guys that deserves it rather than some "big name" FA from some other team.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, people, Williams played really well at the end of the season. He'd have plenty of offers if we tried to nickel and dime him too much. I'd be really happy if he restructured but he's not going to take a big time paycut. This isn't an AJ Hawk type situation here. Williams has a lot more leverage.

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I think Shields took home more more than he should have. But not egregiously so.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think Shields took home more more than he should have. But not egregiously so.

No way ! Who else was going to assume his role? Casey Hayward who so many of you say is not fast enough to play on the outside? Or how about Micah Hyde? Another person who's not "fast enough" to play on the outside. Tramon Williams had a season sure he'd like to put behind him so??? Shields was out best corner all year and made some huge
plays but TT overpaid ? If anything blame him for not getting the deal done before the season when he probably. could have saved a couple million. If the Packers didn't give Shields that money someone else would have. Be happy to have
One of the few guys back who actually made some plays to a secondary that needs a play maker. Now you have a #1 corner and just missing a safety.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way ! Who else was going to assume his role? Casey Hayward who so many of you say is not fast enough to play on the outside? Or how about Micah Hyde? Another person who's not "fast enough" to play on the outside. Tramon Williams had a season sure he'd like to put behind him so??? Shields was out best corner all year and made some huge
plays but TT overpaid ? If anything blame him for not getting the deal done before the season when he probably. could have saved a couple million. If the Packers didn't give Shields that money someone else would have. Be happy to have
One of the few guys back who actually made some plays to a secondary that needs a play maker. Now you have a #1 corner and just missing a safety.

If shields was the corner opposite Sherman on the Seahawks squad last year, and it was his contract year, tell me... Would he have gotten the same deal? No. He made a lot of money by others (Tramon, davon, safeties) making him look better. Now I'm not saying Ole Sammy won't earn his money. I'm happy we paid him and I think he will be a great corner, maybe the best in our secondary for years, but he did get paid based off of others poor play, I believe anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If shields was the corner opposite Sherman on the Seahawks squad last year, and it was his contract year, tell me... Would he have gotten the same deal? No. He made a lot of money by others (Tramon, davon, safeties) making him look better. Now I'm not saying Ole Sammy won't earn his money. I'm happy we paid him and I think he will be a great corner, maybe the best in our secondary for years, but he did get paid based off of others poor play, I believe anyway.

The safeties did not make Shields look better. They made the opposing QBs look better.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not his fault they sucked. Put shields with Sherman and he probably makes more plays in a better secondary.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their major mistakes allowed shields to not show his minor ones.

shields flaw is he's still learning how to play corner. That's all I saw. If Shields played corner at Miami for four years he goes in the 1st rd hands down. He has all the tools to be a stud.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, Sherman was a day-3 pick at CB by John Schneider.... a few minutes after Thompson drafted Davon House.

Had those 2 picks been reversed, would each team's fortunes have been different the past 2 playoffs?

H

HardRightEdge

No point in getting all worked up. When you compare Shields' deal to, say, Verner's, Shields looks somewhat overpaid. That's all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nobody´s saying Shields shouldn´t have been re-signed. But if you compare his deal to some of the others that were signed this offseason it seems like Thompson overpaid for him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not worked up my mistake if my tone was off. TT overpaid because TT waited to long to resign him. That's on him.

How do you know they weren't trying to get a deal done for months, but it just took a while?

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How do you know they weren't trying to get a deal done for months, but it just took a while?

Enviado desde mi iPhone con

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

I'm sure we would have heard some kind of report about it just like almost any other deal TT tries to work. I believe he wanted to play the season out in hopes that maybe Hayward, House or Hyde would emerge as a legit starter on the outside and Tramon Williams having a better yr. well none of that happened so he had to "overpay" for Shields or else risk having to take a corner in the 1st.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´m sure it would have come cheaper if Thompson would have signed Shields to a long-term contract in the 2013 offseason. Would have been riskier though as well.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No point in getting all worked up. When you compare Shields' deal to, say, Verner's, Shields looks somewhat overpaid. That's all.

Who exactly did Verner have to cover last year? The ONLY somewhat elite wide receiver that Verner played all season was Eric Decker and Verner gave up 7 catches for 110 yards and a TD.

Here is the list of guys that Verner covered last season (primarily, he obviously covered other guys occasionally):
Golden Tate, Andre Holmes, Kyle Williams, Mike Brown, LaVon Brazil (?!), Santonio Holmes, Cecil Shorts, Rod Streater, Chris Givens, Donnie Avery, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Erick Decker, Emmanuel Sanders, T.Y. Hilton and DeAndre Hopkins.

Is it REALLY that compelling that Verner did well playing against those wide receivers? He also played against quarterbacks such as Matt Schaub (twice), Geno Smith, Kellen Clemens (Bradford was hurt), Chad Henne (twice), Matt McGloin and Alex Smith (not a QB that really challenges corners).

Shields played fewer terrible QBs; RGIII, Weeden and Ponder (twice). Shields also played FAR more elite wide receivers than Verner played. Verner played (and was terrible) against one elite wide receiver. Shields played (and was terrific) against A.J. Green, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall (twice) and Calvin Johnson (yeah, gave up a bunch against Boldin but Packers were so focused on stopping Kap that I'm not sure how indicative that is).

D

Deleted member 6794

Who exactly did Verner have to cover last year? The ONLY somewhat elite wide receiver that Verner played all season was Eric Decker and Verner gave up 7 catches for 110 yards and a TD.

Here is the list of guys that Verner covered last season (primarily, he obviously covered other guys occasionally):
Golden Tate, Andre Holmes, Kyle Williams, Mike Brown, LaVon Brazil (?!), Santonio Holmes, Cecil Shorts, Rod Streater, Chris Givens, Donnie Avery, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Erick Decker, Emmanuel Sanders, T.Y. Hilton and DeAndre Hopkins.

Is it REALLY that compelling that Verner did well playing against those wide receivers? He also played against quarterbacks such as Matt Schaub (twice), Geno Smith, Kellen Clemens (Bradford was hurt), Chad Henne (twice), Matt McGloin and Alex Smith (not a QB that really challenges corners).

Shields played fewer terrible QBs; RGIII, Weeden and Ponder (twice). Shields also played FAR more elite wide receivers than Verner played. Verner played (and was terrible) against one elite wide receiver. Shields played (and was terrific) against A.J. Green, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall (twice) and Calvin Johnson (yeah, gave up a bunch against Boldin but Packers were so focused on stopping Kap that I'm not sure how indicative that is).

Great research on your part, wasn't aware of the fact Verner mostly didn't cover elite receivers.

H

HardRightEdge

Shields is getting paid 50% more than Verner over the life of their respective contracts. It was just one example.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't the "black and blue" nfc north anymore folks. We have Calvin Johnson/Golden Tate/draft pick, Jeffery/Marshall/draft pick and Patterson/Jennings/draft pick to deal with six times a year. If the vikes ever get a QB they'll be a lot harder to beat. We NEED to focus on the secondary if we want to stay top dog in the division. Besides, the BEST time to pay market price is when it's a young guy that you've had for a long time and know exactly what you're getting. Spending a ton on some other team's free agents is ten times riskier. This was a good pick up by TT. Now, if he pays Tramon Williams that kind of money, that'd be a different story....

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was surprised that Shields got 39M for 4 yrs. I was expecting more like 34M, but the 12.5 guaranteed isn't bad imo.

I think Williams has much less leverage now. He's basically been told he's our #2 CB at best. If we draft a CB in the first three rounds, his leverage drops to zero. He'll be asked to take a cut imo.

D

Deleted member 6794

This isn't the "black and blue" nfc north anymore folks. We have Calvin Johnson/Golden Tate/draft pick, Jeffery/Marshall/draft pick and Patterson/Jennings/draft pick to deal with six times a year. If the vikes ever get a QB they'll be a lot harder to beat. We NEED to focus on the secondary if we want to stay top dog in the division. Besides, the BEST time to pay market price is when it's a young guy that you've had for a long time and know exactly what you're getting. Spending a ton on some other team's free agents is ten times riskier. This was a good pick up by TT. Now, if he pays Tramon Williams that kind of money, that'd be a different story....

I agree that we need all the help we can get in the secondary with the receivers we have to face in our own division.

BTW Tramon is getting paid $7.5 million in 2014 with a cap hit of $9.5 million, I'm surprised that deal hasn't been restructured by now.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is getting paid 50% more than Verner over the life of their respective contracts. It was just one example.

Can't just look at the total number. Verner is getting two million more guaranteed than Shields. If Shields turns out not worth the contract, his deal is better than Verner's.

Members online

Latest posts