Secondary?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why isnt anyone talking about how badly our secondary has played the past few games? Troy smith could have easily looked like Tom Brady out there if his receivers caught some of those pretty easy long balls like vernon did. If we face a decent passing game we are screwed! They will pick us apart the way we've looked recently. This Defense reminds me of last years... We looked good in the beginning of the year and then teams just started picking us apart through the air. It all ended with Arizona destroying them. Something needs to be done about this before its too late. Thoughts?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Highest defensive passer rating in the league. This isn't the team that got lit up by Pitt last season. The biggest difference is the pressure we get on the QB and Williams coming into pro Bowl form

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok but the fact is our stats were good last year until our weakness was discovered and i feel it maybe again soon. Our pass rush is basically Clay so i hope the injury isnt really a problem.

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vernon Davis & Crabtree are lethal weapons...You're NOT going to shut out receivers like that, best you can do is, hold them at bay. I think our secondary has done that so far.

I don't think Mathews injury is the problem, as much as opposing offenses have taken notice, & he gets doubled a LOT.

A-Rod_is_God

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Matthews' injury is worse than the Packers are letting onto and it has affected his ability to rush the passer. When he is right, our pass defense will be even better.

We obviously dont know for sure, but it definitely seems that way to me. Hopefully he can get right this offseason

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't just Matthew's injury, it's a lot of them! These guys are playing wounded and are still the #1 pass rushing team in the league. That alone is astounding and should be commended. Perhaps they have had some miscues and missed tackles in the last two games but I think we notice those because we are used to near perfection from them so a flaw stands out like a sore thumb. We wouldn't have noticed those missed tackles as much if they sucked all along. This D has played this year with more heart than I've seen in a long time. Their potential is perhaps fathomless. Tramon has been a huge help and he came along exactly when we needed him. For a SB run we need everything to just come together and go our way. I'm praying Matthew's injury is not as bad, we need him! I think with him, the offensive coordinators have figured a way to at least stop him short of holding. Double covering is one way but that just makes a decoy out of Clay and opens it up for another player to come through. It's a funny thought that the offensive coordinator probably has many sleepless nights before playing the Packers trying to revamp his offensive line to prepare for that Beast. Coming out in the first 2 games with 3 sacks per game put him on their radar.

We have an extremely good D, if the last 2 games are an "off" game for them, then I'd say that was pretty dang good! Prayers for everyone's healing and hoping everyone stays healthy!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
A problem in the last 2 games? I counter with how well they've played in every other game.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, our pass defense really did suck against Atlanta. Ryan threw for what, 180 yards? How many catches did Roddy White have?

We're bound to give up plays from time to time. It happens. No defense is flawless. Not sure why there's panic.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Wow, our pass defense really did suck against Atlanta. Ryan threw for what, 180 yards? How many catches did Roddy White have?

We're bound to give up plays from time to time. It happens. No defense is flawless. Not sure why there's panic.

it sickens me almost as much as the bears luck how the falcons have zero depth on there team but they avoided the injury bug
what would they do without white, turner, or gonzalez?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our pass defense is ranked #1 in the NFL in opps QB rating and 4th in the NFL in yards per game. I don't think this an area we need to be worried about. Our secondary is deep, talented, and young.

I believe Matthews' injury is worse than the Packers are letting onto and it has affected his ability to rush the passer. When he is right, our pass defense will be even better.
^^^^^^^THIS.

Our secondary, if not the best in the league (Saints, Jets), is top 3 for sure.

CM3 being hurt is a HUGE deal. We're not pressuring the QB as we used to, despite the sacks we've gotten. With CM3 healthy in there, we can get home with 3 guys.

With him limping, we can't, and it translates to some big plays.

----------------------

I do agree that the past 2 games our D (not our secondary) has worried me.

Worried me in the sense that they're not playing ELITE like they were. They're still playing really well though.

And, with Rodgers and co playing ELITE, they don't have to.

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could aregue that our secondary the last 2 games has been outstanding as well. They held matt ryan to under 200 yards. Ya he went 24-28, but if we win that game. Everyone is tlaking about how great they played by shutting down roddy and limiting ryan to only short throws. Because that's all he had. On a neutral field, I think we win that game. And we just held a qb to 40% completion percentage. Yet they still somehow played bad? And who can really cover vernon davis? Of course he's going to have a big play here and there. That 66 yd play was literally over a 3rd of their passing game. i find it impressive. And go back 3 games and our secondary was dominant too. 3 points is a dominant performance form the d all around...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it sickens me almost as much as the bears luck how the falcons have zero depth on there team but they avoided the injury bug
what would they do without white, turner, or gonzalez?

Oh yeah. It's almost disgusting to see how friggin lucky the Bears are getting week after week, especially when you see what we've had to go through this season.

What's even more amazing is how well our Mash unit is playing against the top teams in the league. Makes me think our scouting team and coaching staff should be MVP of the league, because without them, we would have folded a long time ago.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CM3 being hurt is a HUGE deal. We're not pressuring the QB as we used to, despite the sacks we've gotten. With CM3 healthy in there, we can get home with 3 guys.

With him limping, we can't, and it translates to some big plays.

McCarthy said in his presser yesterday that CM3 isn't being slowed down by his shin injury. I'll admit he could be lying, but he doesn't seem the type to take an un-necessary risk with his best OLB. Could be the Niners just game planned for him much better than we thought they would. Could also be that Capers isn't using CM3 to blitz as much.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, Clay Matthews was a guest on Rich Eisen's podcast this week. richeisen.nfl.com.

Members online

Latest posts