Season Reflections At Bye Week

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welp...here we are, sitting at bye week undefeated. I had us 3-1/4-0 all hinging on the Saints game...but never expected it to have been this "easy".

Overall Notes:

• MLF has our offense leading in or Top 5 in nearly every important category that exists...this has occurred despite what many of us call a sub-par WR group each game and with a OL that has changed a lot since last year.
  • Defense has done enough, but has continued to grow through each game many could argue. To do what we have starting an UDFA at ILB, reserves along our front while some concern is legit you cannot help but be happy with how they're projecting. Holding ATL to what they did (they are a good offense) was impressive.

Offense Notes: 4th in passing yards & rushing yards in the NFL, 2nd most overall yards.

• The dispersal of the ball in this system has been RIDICULOUS...I mean if we remove Aaron's one negative reception, yet include EVERY one with one reception or more...they all are averaging 8.3 recepts and 101.7 yards!! We have 6 guys already with a dozen receptions or more....two guys over 200 yards (with Tae at 192) and 4 over 100 yards. We have only 3 receivers whos YPC are under 10 - Aaron Jones at 9, Jamaal Williams at 9.2 and Tyler Ervin at 5.2.
  • Tonyan has arrived folks, just is what it is. He officially is our TE#1 of the future, not Jace.
  • The second year in the system, the chip of drafting Love all have Aaron looking like he is having a ball and legit appears to be running for that MVP award.
  • Rushing the ball has been as successful as passing honestly. Jones (374yds) is pumping out 5.8 YPC and is averaging about 16 carries a game...Williams (108yds) is at 3.7 YPC and averaging 7.25 carries a game...and Dillon (34) 4.3YPC and two a game. Ervin has rushed 4 times for 43 years to note.
  • Versatility and Diversity has reigned supreme...rookies and young guys are stepping up when needed.
  • Zero turnovers...seriously....FIRE
Defense Notes: 13th in total yards allowed & 18th in points allowed with 3 turnovers. (remember that includes two teams that haven't played 4 games)

• Depth has been TESTED at various spots and 100% have passed the test, maybe not always pretty but passed for sure:
  • Krys Barnes illustrating why many loved him out of college, his size and such though made folks wonder just who he was...so ecstatic with what he has shown. For any rookie, let alone a UDFA, his instincts and footwork is well ahead of what anyone would expect. I cannot wait to see if this is something he can sustain or not. Get Martin back, Kirksey back...this ILB group I am beginning to like more and more...
  • Summers...a late rounder a year ago now is showing progress and has earned why he is in there.
  • Secondary is getting better at tackling...last night loved seeing the non-stop pursuit of guys like Jaire and Savage...even after a miss they were relentlessly re-pursuing.
  • Preston is playing a much different role this year - and excelling. You won't see it in a statline possible but trust me the staff loves what he is doing.
  • Lancaster and Lowry are the dudes being asked to step up the most....and beaten and bruised but getting by. Lancaster showed the best last night IMO against the Falcons. Passing grade, but not the best...they better step up or get help (Snacks always help LOL ) to give us help when Clark is out and him a break when he is in.
Promising Young/Overlooked Guys Growing:

I mean we got past drafts or castaways all seeing snaps and delivering:

• Lazard - Cut/Castaway added late 2018...really tested last year and this year proving it may have not been a fluke.
  • MVS - 2018 Draftee. Yes limited, but the dude has gotten serious attention from the opposing defense. He is not a #1 or #2...but 100% is a guy that can kill you as a rotational 2nd option or 3rd option given what he is.
  • Tonyan - 2018 added UDFA/Castaway. Fellas FINALLY seeing his potential.
  • Deguara - 2020 Draftee, many doubters like what he is when in there.
  • Dillon - 2020 Draftee, limited snaps but when asked has done well.
  • Jace - 2019 Draftee, has had good/bad, but still lot of growth to occur it seems.
  • Malik - 2019 UDFA/Castaway, shocked folks making squad...now getting some action and showing promise.
  • Shephard - 2019 UDFA, trying to come through after fumbling his 19' shots given. Kinda cool seeing him get out there and Rodgers clearly likes him.
  • Barnes - UDFA 2020 - Cannot say enough, called upon before he should have been, done more than he should be able to...LOVE IT
  • Summers - 2019 Draftee - Getting chances and passing. Has had some rough plays, but overall promise is there.
  • Garvin - 2020 Draftee - getting snaps and delivering in limited time.
  • Runyon - 2020 Draftee - Limited snaps but no hesitation by staff with him.

Obviously guys like Savage and others been progressing but clear starters from day 1 I didn't include.

I know I missed stuff but quick minute of reflection shared.
Wow! Great job Ty. IF, a big if, the first four weeks reflect the next 12, it would likely end with GB and the Seahags in the NFCCG. I think GB is better than Seattle - tied in offensive production but with a slightly better defense. The Seahag defense is, for a change, the worst part of their game. This would be a fitting game, pitting Rodgers against Wilson, who are the leading candidates for MVP - for now.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Folks...I should have added and stressed this point as well:

This team has went 4-0 sure...but that includes about 2.5 games with Adams and 3 without Kenny Clark. Those are I would argue at worst two of our top 4 players on the entire roster.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This team has went 4-0 sure...but that includes about 2.5 games with Adams and 3 without Kenny Clark. Those are I would argue at worst two of our top 4 players on the entire roster.
Yeah and they started the Falcons game with MVS as their #1 WR (although you could argue it was Jones). The team has been hit hard by injuries and they're still 4-0. Hopefully they get Adams AND Clark back for the Tampa Bay game.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting stats Pack, thanks. In my gut I felt that the defense was playing better than last year. Nice to see some confirming stats.
Very Important stat imo. Will put a lot of pressure on opponent coaching staff to change their offensive game plan imo.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I believe Clark is the centerpiece and foundational building block of the entire defense. Build around this guy Pettine! I think Capers should have built around Raji as well. His greatest mistake imo was moving him out of that spot.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I had no idea A.Jones had a twin brother.
Now you do.
Jones was born in Savannah, Georgia to Vurgess and Alvin Jones Sr., two career non-commissioned officers in the US Army. As a child, Jones looked up to Emmitt Smith, Percy Harvin, and Tyrod Taylor.[2] He and his twin brother Alvin Jr., older brother Xavier, and sister Chelsirae moved around often living in Germany, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and near the Mexican border due to their parents' postings.[

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very Important stat imo. Will put a lot of pressure on opponent coaching staff to change their offensive game plan imo.
Yeah come to think of it, Kamara is the only guy to really tear up the D, and well, he's Alvin Kamara, that's what he does.

They certainly held up well against the Queens and Cook. Tampa Bay may be the best team GB has played so far. I still expect a win.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not what anyone is thinking about, but if Mike Zimmer gets fired mid season, do we go after him to replace Pettine in 2021?

That Seattle fiasco was just awful. But if they drop this game to the winless Falcons today, that seat's definitely got some marinade to go along with the smoke.

D

Deleted member 6794

Probably not what anyone is thinking about, but if Mike Zimmer gets fired mid season, do we go after him to replace Pettine in 2021?

That Seattle fiasco was just awful. But if they drop this game to the winless Falcons today, that seat's definitely got some marinade to go along with the smoke.

Zimmer has had more success as a defensive coach but if the Packers want to move on from Pettine after this season I would prefer them to hire a younger coordinator.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stated before the game that TB was the best team the Pack had faced this year, but I still expected a win.

Yikes did I have that wrong. The degree of the whipping is concerning. And the hard truth is that TB DOES have a very good team with the best D in at least the NFC. I'm a big believer that teams with elite Ds win championships. So I'm a little concerned for the Packers, but nowhere near panic. We'll see how they recover against Houston. And yet even if that game goes well, there are some serious issues with that D that email unresolved. Past is past, but I can't help being resentful that we didn't use a first round pick on an ILB like Queen, instead of wasting a 4th round pick to move up in round one and take a 3rd string QB. Do I sound upset?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's shaping up as another wasted opportunity season for me. There aren't many very strong teams in NFC, unlike the AFC . Tampa has a championship caliber defense and a talent laden offense that will only get better as a season goes on. maybe the only other legit contender/tier 1 caliber team would be Seattle, but I'm leery of them because of their heavy reliance on Wilson. I would have said the Saints what I think both Brees and they are declining a bit and have missed their title window. there's just something missing with the Rams, the eastern division is a joke, the Bears have the defense, but Foles or Trubisky will hold them back. The Cardinals are still a year away. So that leaves Tampa in my mind as clearly the best right now barring injuries. Last year one team, the 49ers, in our way this year Tampa. Both fast physical and talented.
Again we're so near yet so far away.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's shaping up as another wasted opportunity season for me. There aren't many very strong teams in NFC, unlike the AFC . Tampa has a championship caliber defense and a talent laden offense that will only get better as a season goes on. maybe the only other legit contender/tier 1 caliber team would be Seattle, but I'm leery of them because of their heavy reliance on Wilson. I would have said the Saints what I think both Brees and they are declining a bit and have missed their title window. there's just something missing with the Rams, the eastern division is a joke, the Bears have the defense, but Foles or Trubisky will hold them back. The Cardinals are still a year away. So that leaves Tampa in my mind as clearly the best right now barring injuries. Last year one team, the 49ers, in our way this year Tampa. Both fast physical and talented.
Yeah it's frustrating that seemingly every year one team ascends and is just plain better than the Packers. I would rank TB above Seattle just for Tampa's defense, and with Tom Brady, their offense is nothing to sneeze at. And this is supposed to be a transition year for Brady, learning a new offense. Didn't look like there was any problem Sunday. Just frustrating, especially considering GB could have used the draft for help at either ILB or WR with a first round pick.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HeyJoe4, I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching the draft who got real excited when their pick came up and Patrick Queen was sitting there. then they picked Love and all the winds went out of my sails.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HeyJoe4, I'm sure I wasn't the only one watching the draft who got real excited when their pick came up and Patrick Queen was sitting there. then they picked Love and all the winds went out of my sails.

Yeah Pack I think there's an army of us who feel that way.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Their pick never came up and Queen was there. Traded up to a different pick for Love. Sure you were watching or did the Love pick get you so drunk it clouds your memory :) LOL

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their pick never came up and Queen was there. Traded up to a different pick for Love. Sure you were watching or did the Love pick get you so drunk it clouds your memory :) LOL

Nope, they traded up ahead of Seattle and Baltimore to pick Love. Queen was still there when we picked. I had thought they had traded ahead of those two since one of them was going to pick him.

I didn't start to drink heavily until after the third round.

Members online

Latest posts