Sean Richardson determined to play again

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Scary stuff. Always have liked him...and I wish him well whether that comeback effort is here or elsewhere when it is all said and done.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a shame, and another in the long list of possible career ending neck injuries the Packers have suffered.

Good for him, and I wish him all the best.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got to like his moxie. If the doctors really say that he's okay to play and he wants to as well, somebody should give him a shot. I'm not sure that we have a place for him except as a backup safety a special teamer, but for $1M salary it may be worth finding out.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wish him the best of luck but I’m not sure the Packers should sign him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe a contract with most of the compensation based upon being active on game days, but I’m not sure how a vet contract like that can be structured: IOW, how much has to be guaranteed if he makes the opening day roster? My guess is whatever the minimum is for a vet going into his 5th season.

As a vested veteran his entire base salary (at least $760K) would be fully guaranteed once he makes the opening day roster.

While he might feel healthy I have a tough time believing an NFL team will take the risk and clear him mostly to play special teams.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't wish problems on anyone. However, this is a good example of why, although I'm still a Packer fan, I don't care nearly as much as I used to. I remember back to when I could understand the players compensation, and many of them had to have off-season jobs in order to make ends meet. Richardson adult earning life started with $1.5 mil or so for three years of OK play with some potential. That potential got him and additional $2.5 mil for last year. I'm not sure how unfair it is to him to make a million a year and then (apparently) walk away. In understand the costs, taxes, et. al., associated with those numbers, but I still can't feel bad. Sort of like screaming at the computer when someone talks about (for instance) Raji and says "I wouldn't give that unmotivated slug more than $4 million next year".

OK, rant over. Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled program. :)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Richardson has been cleared by Dr. Watkins for on-field non-contact activities. The doctor said the neck is healing perfectly and the safety should be 100% in two months.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richardson has been cleared by Dr. Watkins for on-field non-contact activities. The doctor said the neck is healing perfectly and the safety should be 100% in two months.

IMO, playing in the NFL is dangerous under the best circumstances. Coming off surgery for a neck injury only adds to the risks. I wish Sean the best no matter what he ends up doing, but'll I'll feel better if that is something other than football.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

IMO, playing in the NFL is dangerous under the best circumstances. Coming off surgery for a neck injury only adds to the risks. I wish Sean the best no matter what he ends up doing, but'll I'll feel better if that is something other than football.

Richardson's injury and cervical fusion happened at a different level of the spine than Finley's or Collins making it more realistic for him to return to the field.

He seems to be determined to play again and it's possible a team will take a gamble on him. Most likely it won't be the Packers though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We give players second chances when they're busted for drugs, after high speed police chases while drunk, and PEDs. However, the Packers haven't been in the habit of giving second chances to players with neck injuries. Richardson is the only example that I am aware of, but I don't think that he'll get a third chance with us.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of those guys didn't a second chance anywhere else either though. Murphy was done, Collins, Finley, Franklin all could have played elsewhere, but nobody would clear them.

There are some spots in the spine you just don't want to chance and regardless of what a player wants to do, we have a duty to protect a player from himself when it comes to certain injuries. No other team's doctors would clear them to play either

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he decides to pursue other opportunities. No other professional football player has returned to play after a 2 level fusion. Doctors now say "why not?" I would counter with "why?". If Richardson has another neck injury, will that answer the questions? Or do you need a hundred similar players to test things out?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This reminds me a bit of the situation Sam Shields is currently in with his concussion history, one hit, fall, tackle and "game over". While a spinal injury shows up immediately the long term effects of multiple concussions is still being studied and is somewhat unknown how or if it will affect Sam later in life. In both cases though, no question in my mind that its time to hang up your cleats and think about your future outside of football.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One perhaps significant factor is that Shields' average salary on this contract is twice Richardson's career earnings. Still way above what probably most of us will ever see, but a possible incentive, nonetheless.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One perhaps significant factor is that Shields' average salary on this contract is twice Richardson's career earnings. Still way above what probably most of us will ever see, but a possible incentive, nonetheless.

Not sure if you were trying to say Shields has more motivation to risk it, because one more year would be a big payoff?

Money and secuity is the part I understand. Shields should have enough money banked, not to have to play again. A guy like Richardson may be willing to roll the dice on his health in exchange for providing for he and his family's future. Chris Borland comes to mind, I don't know how much he walked away with after his rookie season, but I am guessing it wasn't enough to quit working. But he chose his future health and ability to provide for himself in another occupation, over taking a chance that all he would have was a big bank account and possible poor health. Really a tough choice, but that is why these guys go to college, right? :coffee:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

We give players second chances when they're busted for drugs, after high speed police chases while drunk, and PEDs. However, the Packers haven't been in the habit of giving second chances to players with neck injuries. Richardson is the only example that I am aware of, but I don't think that he'll get a third chance with us.

Richardson's first fusion happened at a different and less dangerous spot than the others you mentioned. That's why the Packers cleared him to return. I have no idea at which level his second was performed though.

Members online

Latest posts