Sean Alexander

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks' Sean Alexander reportedly released

From ESPN:

Running back Shaun Alexander was released by the Seattle Seahawks Tuesday, according to multiple sources.

Before his release, Alexander had to take a procedural physical in order to facilitate the termination of his contract. He took that physical Tuesday afternoon. He's recovering from wrist surgery and has been waiting for his left wrist to heal before he can start visiting teams that might be interested in signing him.

Alexander's agent, Jim Steiner, told The Associated Press Tuesday that "an announcement is pending" about Alexander's future with the Seahawks.

Alexander is expected to issue a statement early Tuesday evening, and Seahawks management is expected to be available for comment after 7 p.m. ET. Alexander leaves Seattle on good terms after being the team's all-time leading rusher. Two years of injuries plus the fact he's 30 years old led to his exit.

General manager Tim Ruskell, a big supporter of Alexander, signed Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett to replace him. The only holdup in Alexander's release was his wrist, which plagued him most of the 2007 season.

Alexander, who is signed through 2010, is scheduled to make $4.475 million this season. The Seahawks have two possible ways of releasing him. They could simply terminate his contract. If they do that, they would have a cap loss of $125,000.

Or, Seattle could release him under a June 2 designation in which they would put the $4.475 million salary on the 2008 cap and then be responsible for $4.6 million on their 2009 cap. With more than $12 million of cap room remaining, the Seahawks may simply give him his outright release and take the cap hits this season.

A former first-round choice of the Seahawks, Alexander rushed for 9,429 yards and scored 100 touchdowns in eight seasons.

He's told teammates there might be interest from teams such as the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts, although he's just beginning his first venture into free agency.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

OK, let's try to open up a bit on this discussion, I know talking about other teams' cast-offs gets to be redundant, so how about this scenario:

TT had a history with the former MVP.

We have the chance to sign him for just over 1 mil/year, let's say a 2-yr deal. He's willing to play here, cause he wants that ring, and thinks the Packers are one of his best chances at that.

Do you do it?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack in black.. no need to justify this thread. its a legitimate question.

I think its a great plan actually. Ryan Grant, Bjack and Wynn are very capable running backs and i feel good with them back there. but anytime you can sign a guy like Sean Alexander for that cheap then you gotta at least look into it.

Im not the worlds biggest alexander fan... in fact never really dug him. but hes absolutely the best insurance policy i think this team needs. If Ryan holds out (not likely) or injury strikes. You and I would feel much safer if Sean Alexander is in the backfield.

I am absolutely on board with this signing... especially at this price. Let TT handle his business.... and if the MGMT thinks we might could use him, i feel like we got the upper hand.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although he stunk up the last season + I think he still has something in the tank. I'm just not a big fan of bringing in aging free agents for a "wonder season" run. IF the team didn't have a number of guys with the potential to breakout in the running game this season I might consider Alexander.

Although perhaps we sign him just to get him off the market. You know in case all our RBs get hurt in camp or pre-season? Nah - that couldn't happen... :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think we'll get him, just because of his history with ted thompson.

Grant\Alexander\Bjack\Wynn or Morency

Yeah...that's pretty badass

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we could have Sean Alexander AND Ryan Grant.... for way under 2 million dollars.

thats freakin brilliant. theres no possible way to get more bang for your buck.

unbelievable if this goes down.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks but no thanks... He is a shell of his former self and is no longer a smooth, yard gaining running back...

yep. he's busted up.

if we're going to add a RB to the roster we'll get a healthy young stud via the draft.

that sounded gay.

BangTheDrum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BangTheDrum said:
Thanks but no thanks... He is a shell of his former self and is no longer a smooth, yard gaining running back...

yep. he's busted up.

if we're going to add a RB to the roster we'll get a healthy young stud via the draft.

that sounded gay.

Nah, it didnt sound real gay... Just a little arrow-ish :lol:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
BangTheDrum said:

yep. he's busted up.

that sounded gay.

Nah, it didnt sound real gay... Just a little arrow-ish :lol:

i better make out with a broad quick.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You better post some pics!

I agree. I'm starting to think he has no girlfriend and never has.

Pics would prove me wrong, of course.

(man im good)

oh, and to stay on topic, I know Shaun isn't 2005 Shaun, but a veteran to work with Grant\BJack would be nice.

flep

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say sign him. It fills a need.

If Grant gets injured he is a more than capable back up and there is no loss of draft pick incurred though having to pick a back up in the draft.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be for this only if we make sure we shore up that O-Line with at least a pick on a Center and Tackle early on. Also, frankly I think Alexander will want too much dough, I'd rather draft a guy and groom them.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
alexander will end up at the texans or some unperforming team who will overpay, see Emmit Smiths last season as a Cardinal..

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm scared of Jared Allen. I hope our O-line is ready for a war against the vikings. Allen and the Williams twins, yuck. But, I'm holding out that Allen gets into a drunk driving accident. that would be strike 3.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could get him cheap I like it. I just don't think it will happen, and has been suggested some team is going to offer him stupid money. It would be nice to bring some more leadership into the dressing room and Shaun would definitely provide that.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The price would have to be right, close to minimum money with incentives - then yes.

I do not think he has a lot left in the tank, but might provide a nice insurance policy and change of pace to Grant if he has recovered from his injuries.

Members online

Latest posts