Sam Shields planning to shutdown 'Megatron' Calvin Johnson

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
When the Green Bay Packers decided to pay premium dollar to keep Sam Shields — $39 million over four years — this is the kind of matchup they had in mind. Calvin Johnson at Ford Field.

Source: JSOnline.com

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why give anything away before the game?
Now Megatron and coaches can study how to play against Shields.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why give anything away before the game?
Now Megatron and coaches can study how to play against Shields.
I don't think it was a secret. We play each other 2 times a year. I doubt the Lions have overlooked Shields.
Dont think any secrets were given away?
My thought of strategy would be not letting the Lions know who the Pack is thinking who would be covering Johnson and that would keep them off balance.
Seems like sometimes teams give too much away before games for their opponents to know what to do.
Or am I wrong in thinking that teams should keep everything under their hats?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Green Bay Packers decided to pay premium dollar to keep Sam Shields — $39 million over four years — this is the kind of matchup they had in mind. Calvin Johnson at Ford Field.
Megatron hears this 16 times each season. I'm pretty sure this didn't even register on his radar.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Didn`t Josh Sitton make a similar type of comment last season and got his *** kicked ?? I really wish he hadn`t said this :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn`t Josh Sitton make a similar type of comment last season and got his *** kicked ?? I really wish he hadn`t said this :rolleyes:

I´m absolutely fine with everything Shields had to say about Sunday´s game, it´s not like he called them a bunch of scumbags like Sitton did last year.

I

I´m absolutely fine with everything Shields had to say about Sunday´s game, it´s not like he called them a bunch of scumbags like Sitton did last year.

Well I`ll happily admit if I am wrong after Sunday :tup:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with captainWIMM: If you read what Shields actually said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He gives Johnson respect and talks about the mindset he has to have going into the game; he didn't boast about shutting him down. In years past it's been Tramon on Johnson and as the article says, no matter who it is, they usually have safety help. Dunne also mentions House may be a good match-up against Johnson. I don't think anything was revealed to the Lions and I don't think any bulletin board material was given to them.

I

I agree with captainWIMM: If you read what Shields actually said, I don't think there is anything wrong with it. He gives Johnson respect and talks about the mindset he has to have going into the game; he didn't boast about shutting him down. In years past it's been Tramon on Johnson and as the article says, no matter who it is, they usually have safety help. Dunne also mentions House may be a good match-up against Johnson. I don't think anything was revealed to the Lions and I don't think any bulletin board material was given to them.

I stand rebuked.....:D

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Megatron ranks with Moss, Owens, Rice, as one of, IF NOT , the BEST WRs in NFL history...................

Dont wake the sleeping giant... IMO.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that he isn't sleeping.
That guy has so much talent that he may actually still be sleeping! What will be amazing to see is how he transitions into the later years of a WR career. Guys like Donald Driver or Jerry Rice (I know, odd pairing) learn how to run their routes better in order to compensate for the loss in speed. Johnson will still have a huge size advantage to boot. He could shatter many of the league records if he stays healthy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam just needs to lose the peeking in the backfield habit. IMO, it's the biggest factor in keeping him from being considered one of the best CB's in the game. All the other tools are there.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Considering Megatron average's 5 catches for 97 yards and a TD against the Packers, anything less will be a positive.

Reaction score
Considering Megatron average's 5 catches for 97 yards and a TD against the Packers, anything less will be a positive.
Noting that Megatron is the Lions offense, I'll be happy with anything less than 200 yards and 3 TDs... I'm not expecting less :D

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Clinton-Dix help Shields out when it comes to Megs. You can't just stick one guy on him the whole game.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To Shields and the rest of the players: Let your play speak for itself.

Members online

Latest posts