Salary Cap and Future

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I know there are some that are at least somewhat concerned about our cap situation in '15 and beyond. The following are under contract through 2016 (not all inclusive).

Offense: Rodgers, Nelson, Sitton, Bahktiari, Tretter/Linsely, Lang, Lacy

Defense: Matthews, Peppers, Shields, Burnett, D. Jones, Hyde, Dix, Boyd

There are a few others as well. I'm ok with how things look for the future.
Thompson will also have 9 draft picks next year to fill in any gaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know there are some that are at least somewhat concerned about our cap situation in '15 and beyond. The following are under contract through 2016 (not all inclusive).

Offense: Rodgers, Nelson, Sitton, Bahktiari, Tretter/Linsely, Lang, Lacy

Defense: Matthews, Peppers, Shields, Burnett, D. Jones, Hyde, Dix, Boyd

There are a few others as well. I'm ok with how things look for the future.
Thompson will also have 9 draft picks next year to fill in any gaps.

If the cap increases to $140 million for next season, as predicted by some experts, the Packers should have approximately $23 million in cap space, which should be enough to re-sign both Cobb and Bulaga if Thompson decides to do so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here´s some information on the injury settlement the Packers have reached so far:

Colt Lyerla, 8 weeks, $142,588
Andrew Tiller Neal, 4 weeks, $71,294
Rajion Neal, 3 weeks, $53,471
Joe Thomas, 2 weeks, $35,647

According to the Journal Sentinel the Packers have $8.231 million in cap space, but it seems they haven´t adjusted the Packers 2014 cap correctly.

According to my calculation the Packers have $134,232,164 in salary commited to this season´s cap which leaves the team with $7,589,045 in cap space. It seems like the team plans on reaching a settlement with Jake Stoneburner as well which would clear some additional cap room.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I got: $7.635.018 in cap space and $21.963.734 cap space for next year (including roll over cap). Obviously the actual space will be lower to injuries this year (you have to pay guys IR). Moreover you need to save some room injuries next year. So the cap room that we can use for extensions will be limited compared to the previous offseasons. This might be enough to sign Cobb and Bulaga, but there might not be much space for additional signings.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

This is what I got: $7.635.018 in cap space and $21.963.734 cap space for next year (including roll over cap). Obviously the actual space will be lower to injuries this year (you have to pay guys IR). Moreover you need to save some room injuries next year. So the cap room that we can use for extensions will be limited compared to the previous offseasons. This might be enough to sign Cobb and Bulaga, but there might not be much space for additional signings.

Well, there will be some difficult decisions to be made next offseason. For example, I have a hard time believing the Packers will keep a 35-year old Julius Peppers for a $12 million cap hit. While releasing him would result in $5 million counting against the cap the move would save $7 million in cap room.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, there will be some difficult decisions to be made next offseason. For example, I have a hard time believing the Packers will keep a 35-year old Julius Peppers for a $12 million cap hit. While releasing him would result in $5 million counting against the cap the move would save $7 million in cap room.

We will see. If Peppers has little impact, the decision to cut him would be easy. However if he does actually make an impact, the decisions will be a lot more difficult (which would be a good problem to have, don't get me wrong).

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Especially if Perry, Neal, Mulumbo and Elliot continue to improve their game this year. Seven million probably gets extensions for Boykin, House, Barclay and Richardson.

Edit: If Peppers doesn't play to very close to all-pro level, it perhaps makes sense to release him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers reach injury settlement with Jake Stoneburner, it is for two weeks and will count $37,412 against the cap. According to my math Packers have $7.8 million in cap space.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of good points in this thread.

Bulaga will get the TT treatment. He'll be allowed to test the market to see if someone will pay too much money for an oft-injured OT. If not, TT will try to bring him back in once his free-agent-spirit is broken.

Raji was only signed to a one-year deal. If he didn't perform well we were done with him. Had he performed well he would have been looking for a payday, most likely with another team. With Raji out I don't ever see him playing for Green Bay again. His one year contract IMO was meant to bridge the gap until a draft pick emerged as a solid starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

Raji was only signed to a one-year deal. If he didn't perform well we were done with him. Had he performed well he would have been looking for a payday, most likely with another team. With Raji out I don't ever see him playing for Green Bay again. His one year contract IMO was meant to bridge the gap until a draft pick emerged as a solid starter.

There's no chance Raji will get a big contract during next year's free agency but I think there's a chance the Packers will bring him back on another one-year deal.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji will be lucky to get half of the $4M that we gave him this year on a 1 year deal. He already wasn't attractive to anyone on the FA market -- now he's going to be older and coming off a significant injury.

All this for a guy who turned down $8M a year with $20M guaranteed from us. He will not make $20M the rest of his career. He will be lucky to make $8M.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
All this for a guy who turned down $8M a year with $20M guaranteed from us.
= Bullet dodged. Which reminds me of the quote from Churchill: "“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. Of course Raji's injury was anything but exhilarating but his turning down that offer was. I wonder if he fired the agent who gave him that advice?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji was attractive to teams, but not at $9 million a year. He'll ask for less, but not $2 million per year. That's too little.

If he signed for a non-guaranteed one year/$4M deal with the Packers, it's a pretty good indicator that Raji wasn't attractive to teams. I'm sure he'll ask for more than $2M next year, but I'm not sure he'll get it. Why should he?

He'll have to take whatever the market is for him.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Raji was attractive to teams, but not at $9 million a year. He'll ask for less, but not $2 million per year. That's too little.
Not any more. He has very little attractiveness to anyone except the extraordinarily desperate. It's been a long time since he put together a good season. I think Thompson probably values him more highly than any of the other GM's. i'd be shocked if he got any offers north of 2m unless it's very heavily incentivized.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would people rather have...

-Raji- relatively healthy throughout his career (relative to Bulaga that is), underperformed for the most part, rare massive and nimble big man, already knows for fact he's not worth a big contract right now

-Bulaga- really solid OT when healthy... but rarely healthy; i certainly would never count on him being on the field when we need him

Tbh, I think I'd rather lock Raji down for 2-3 years if it came down to choosing between the two. I just don't trust Bulaga to be there down the stretch. Raji might play average down the stretch, but at least he'd be playing at all.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think its a choice between one or the other.

Both would be worth nothing more than very short-term prove it deals with incentives.

D

Deleted member 6794

-Raji- relatively healthy throughout his career (relative to Bulaga that is), underperformed for the most part, rare massive and nimble big man, already knows for fact he's not worth a big contract right now

-Bulaga- really solid OT when healthy... but rarely healthy; i certainly would never count on him being on the field when we need him

Tbh, I think I'd rather lock Raji down for 2-3 years if it came down to choosing between the two. I just don't trust Bulaga to be there down the stretch. Raji might play average down the stretch, but at least he'd be playing at all.

I would be fine with the Packers bringing Raji back on another one-year deal. Bulaga has to prove he can stay healthy this season, otherwise the team should move on.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT keeps the cap healthy. No issues to worry about. Yeah, we lose some guys here and there, but that's how the NFL works. Can't resign everyone.

As long as TT is around, we'll never be in a situation like the Cowboys who had to cut good defensive starters from an already bad defense.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Neither. Bottom line is you really can't count on either. I feel that Bulaga can be counted on for a certain level of production when he is healthy. I don't think you can count on Raji at all to give you that when he is healthy.

OP
OP
PikeBadger

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The 25th highest paid DT (in regards to Cap Hit) is getting paid $3.2625 million. So basically the people who think Raji is worth only $2 million are saying that he's not a starter. I disagree with that.

EDIT: $2 million is the 42nd highest paid DT this year, and future salaries bring more money because the salary cap goes up.
Good post DH, very informative. I think Raji is a special case though as it's been years now since he's consistently played well. I feel he falls into the category of "prove it" compensation now. I don't trust this guy and I hope Thompson brings in a draft pick in the first three rounds if Pennel and Guion don't show staff and mgmt that they are capable of handling the position in a way that keeps the LB's clean. IMO, Raji is a major reason of the downfall of the defense since 2010.

Members online

Latest posts