2017 Packers cap situation

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/
Packers currently have 12th most cap space at just under $41Mil. I'm assuming that includes the $6 or $7Mil from '16 that was moved forward into '17.

Once TT re-signs a couple "of his own" (Perry?, Lang?, Tretter?) and allots the $5.5Mil (approx.) for rookie pool that will be reduced significantly. Still enough for a vet FA... but not banking on that no matter how hard I wish.

Of significance, the bottom 16 players counting towards '17's cap are all minimum salary guys ($460-$540K), that's almost 1/3 of the current roster with 10-15 more rookies to be added after the draft/UDFA. I think it's safe to say we'll be a top-5 youngest team, again.

Likely so, assuming Peppers won't be re-signed and possibly Lang as well. Also Shields and Starks gone. Of course, all the other starters are a year older so the average age will probably be pretty close to the same as the 2016 roster.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm guessing... the best case scenario for Perry is 3 years 24 million or 4 years 32 million

He's going to cost at least around the 8 million/year range

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

richard rodgers
salary bump
i do not like seeing those 4 words together

Well, both Rodgers and Linsley will earn a $1 million raise next season because they qualified for the salary escalators available to players drafted in Rounds 3-7. Both players are entering the final year of their contracts and they qualified for the extra money because they played in at least 35 percent of the offensive or defensive snaps in two of their first three seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

Last I saw a few days ago, www.spotrac.com and www.overthecap.com had different figures.
Also, I've been reading different numbers on where the cap will end up.
overthecap.com is more accurate from my observations if your question relates to the expended cap on particular players. The two sources are usually close, but I think overthecap posts changes faster and picks up on the finer details.

Where the 2017 NFL team cap number will be pegged is a matter for speculation at this point. We'd need to know the details of the TV contracts. The lousy early season TV ratings forced the networks to reimburse advertisers. Do these after-the-fact advertising discounts flow back into the NFL's TV revenue? One would think so.

If memory serves, the 2011 CBA has the cap funded by TV money with something like 60% of that revenue stream going to the players. Consequently, I would expect 2017 cap growth to be lower than what was estimated at the start of last season. I would not be shocked if it was flat or slightly negative as a result of the bad ratings assuming there isn't some kind of prior year look back. We'll just have to wait and see.

A lot of reasons were given for why the ratings were so bad: Kaepernick, et. al.; unexciting games; the Presidential campaign. While the first two possibilities might have had an affect at the margins, it's fairly clear the chief reason for the drop was the election campaign. Ratings rallied after the election, but still under 2015 levels. Perhaps that's because the President was still campaigning after he won; perhaps people just got out of the habit of watching.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HRE, a couple of months ago I read about a poll, can't remember who did it. Anyway, they asked fans across the country, about 250,000 of them to give in order their top 3 reasons in order why they were disgusted with the NFL and/or weren't watching anymore.
EVERY LAST ONE listed Kaepernick, with over a third having him at #1. Seems the NFL, judging by their quotes since, doesn't want to acknowledge the 10 ton elephant in the room.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaepernick? That whole not standing for the anthem thing? People seriously get bent out of shape over that?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
That and some of his other quotes and antics. Yeah, a lot of people got pissed; a lot I know.
Yup, heard the same thing from a number of people I know. He's a PR nightmare for the league.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, heard the same thing from a number of people I know. He's a PR nightmare for the league.

What pissed off a lot of the folks I know almost as much as Kap and his antics was the league quickly and unequivocally jumping to his defense.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaepernick? That whole not standing for the anthem thing? People seriously get bent out of shape over that?
Many people I know weren't happy about it either. I (they) watch football for entertainment, not political opinions. Their opinion seemed to reflect Jerry Jones which boiled down to "When in uniform and on the field you represent me, I stand - you stand." Then Colon admitted to not finding time to vote?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, people can get bent out of shape over that. I find it to be especially among the ranks of those who have fought for and bled under that banner, and their loved ones who have lost those who fought and died under it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Many people I know weren't happy about it either. I (they) watch football for entertainment, not political opinions. Their opinion seemed to reflect Jerry Jones which boiled down to "When in uniform and on the field you represent me, I stand - you stand." Then Colon admitted to not finding time to vote?
Average everyday Americans with a brain want their movie, TV, music and sports entertainers to entertain them. They don't give a rats rearend about their political viewpoint. Most of us regular joes know that these people have zero expertise in political and economic affairs. Just entertain us!!!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was brilliant on his part. People talked about Kap so much you didn't really hear about how bad San Francisco the football team was. *shrugs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Your estimate seems to jive with the site I like to look at. Seems like a lot of cap space, but it goes fast!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Generally OTC is more accurate than Spotrac as they still haven't added the spike in Richard Rodgers' and Linsley's salary for the 2017 season which was announced more than a month ago.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/green-bay-packers

They still use the projected $168 million base salary cap though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Cowboys just cleared up $21M in cap space by converting salary to signing bonus with Smith and Frederick. They'll be fine.

The Cowboys still have only a little bit more than $3 million of cap space after those moves.

Members online

Latest posts