Safety says soccer led to his blunder

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: Nov. 1, 2007

Green Bay - Green Bay Packers safety Atari Bigby insists that the big lights of "Monday Night Football" did not cause him to lose his mind.

He called both of his post-whistle penalties - he was flagged four times in all during the 19-13 victory over Denver - "bad decisions" but he said his intentions weren't nearly as misguided as they seemed.

The dumbest of the two penalties was a 5-yard delay of game for kicking the ball after a mid-fourth quarter incompletion. Most people assumed Bigby was angry over something or was trying to show up the Broncos.

He said it was merely a reaction from once being a soccer player. Apparently, he's known for doing the same thing in practice.

"You know I was a soccer player first before I was a football player?" said Bigby, who grew up in South Florida and lettered in soccer in high school. "That was not frustration. That was more of a natural thing. It was just a reaction. Ask any of my teammates. You can ask any player. It was not that I was trying to create attention to myself.

"If the ball is on the ground I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to think, 'Don't kick it.'"

Replays showed Bigby running up on the bouncing ball and chipping it in the air as if he were trying to clear a soccer ball. Coach Mike McCarthy was not amused and pulled him from the game for the next play, which luckily for Bigby, resulted in a completion short of a first down.

As for the other penalty, a late hit out of bounds on receiver Brandon Stokley, Bigby said he was trying to slow down but should have done a better job avoiding Stokley.

"I tried to pull off it," Bigby said. "If you really watch it closely, he put a little Hollywood into it. I'm not a dirty player so I'm not going to try to cheap shot a guy. I was going fast and I made a mistake."

McCarthy said Bigby understood he put his team in a bad spot.

"There's a lot of positive things he did in that game, and he needs to continue to do that," McCarthy said. "But the poor decisions, whether it's Atari or anybody on our football team, we need to eliminate that. "

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A brain fart led to that penalty. I worry when a guy can't remember what game he is playing.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The late hit did not bother me, as he noted it did look like he tried to pull up and the receiver was not totally out when the contact occurred.

The kicked ball however,......

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
"I tried to pull off it," Bigby said. "If you really watch it closely, he put a little Hollywood into it."

No kidding. Stokely should have gotten a
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
on that dive.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is anything to worry about.

I would be more concerned about the coaches who allow him to do this in practice.

Really, I'm not worried about either, and this is likely behind us.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking it looked like a soccer kick when he did it. I did not realize that he has done this in practice as well. I would think that the coaching staff would have gotten him over that after 1 or 2 kicks like this in practice. If he does this in practice again he should run the stadium steps. That would keep him focused a little better.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking it looked like a soccer kick when he did it. I did not realize that he has done this in practice as well. I would think that the coaching staff would have gotten him over that after 1 or 2 kicks like this in practice. If he does this in practice again he should run the stadium steps. That would keep him focused a little better.

or watch reruns of love american style :shock:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure there are all kinds of things that players do in practice during dead ball situations that would not be okay in a game, so I don't think the coaches should be blamed for allowing Bigby to kick the ball. I'm sure they won't allow it anymore, though. The late hit and pass interference in the end zone were both borderline calls. And Bigby did make a few noticeable good plays in the game, including a tackle for a loss. He will learn from the experience and be even better than he's been so far this season, which is pretty darn good.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
To me, it is a good sign, that means he is becomming very comfortable on the field. Everyone has brain farts.. his just had a national audience.

Members online

No members online now.