Roster predictions

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It would be great if MVS could return punts. But he never did it in college and they haven’t tried him there in camp. He doesn’t profile as the type at all. It’s very rare to find PR guys who are that tall and long.

In fairness to Davis, this is only his 3rd camp and he made some plays at receiver before the hamstring popped up. We are all excited for Kumerow, and rightfully so to an extent, but he’s actually been in the league longer than Davis and is seemingly just getting things figured out. So it’s possible that Davis isn’t the total non-factor at receiver that many have assumed. In any case, I think people better get used to the idea of him on the roster because I think it’s happening.

Just noticed this tagline at the bottom of your posts, did you lose a bet? :laugh:

"In the future, I will learn to trust the superior wisdom of the Amishmafia regarding the draft."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Can't Rollins function as a returner? I know he was **** poor yesterday, but given his youth I see them keeping him over House tbf. This would also make room for Davis to be cut and MVS to be added. Moore to be stashed on the PS.

Only way Rollins is kept over Davis is if he becomes a better returner than he showed last night and a better DB. I would put Rollins squarely in the cross hairs of being cut if that doesn't happen. House may not be the best CB on the team, but at this point, I think he is a better option than Rollins.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just noticed this tagline at the bottom of your posts, did you lose a bet? :laugh:

"In the future, I will learn to trust the superior wisdom of the Amishmafia regarding the draft."

Yeah— over Harold Landry’s draft slot. No idea why he went so late. Heard something about medicals after the fact. He was the steal of the draft. He’ll be a good one, health allowing.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah— over Harold Landry’s draft slot. No idea why he went so late. Heard something about medicals after the fact. He was the steal of the draft. He’ll be a good one, health allowing.
Oh yes, forgot about all the "Pre-Draft Chest puffing" that was going on LOL

With Brian Orakpo injured, Landry is getting a lot of reps and looked good last night when he blew through Murphy, and knocked the ball out of Hundley's hand...sack and a forced fumble, not bad for a 2nd rounder! :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can't Rollins function as a returner? I know he was **** poor yesterday, but given his youth I see them keeping him over House tbf. This would also make room for Davis to be cut and MVS to be added. Moore to be stashed on the PS.

I might have this wrong, but I don’t think that Rollins has ever returned a punt in a college or real NFL game. I heard he didn’t look so good at it last night. Furthermore, I would argue that he offers even less to the defense than Davis offers to the offense.

ST is never ****, but a good punt return game can make a really big impact. I wouldn’t want to sacrifice all potential in that facet just to cut Davis. I’d rather they keep 7 receivers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh yes, forgot about all the "Pre-Draft Chest puffing" that was going on LOL

With Brian Orakpo injured, Landry is getting a lot of reps and looked good last night when he blew through Murphy, and knocked the ball out of Hundley's hand...sack and a forced fumble, not bad for a 2nd rounder! :)

Yeah, a stellar athlete with a ton of production at a high level. Who could have seen that coming?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, a stellar athlete with a ton of production at a high level. Who could have seen that coming?
The obvious answer....I guess all the scouts and GM's who decided they liked the 40 guys picked before him? :cool:

Have to wonder if he had still been on the board 4 picks later, would Gute have selected him or Jackson? I am hoping Jackson turns out to be a steal at 45, but we sure could have used Landry if he too becomes as good as you think he will.

What had to sting for you.....Courtland Sutton being picked right before Landry at #40 ;) I DO remember that back and forth.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The obvious answer....I guess all the scouts and GM's who decided they liked the 40 guys picked before him? :cool:

Have to wonder if he had still been on the board 4 picks later, would Gute have selected him or Jackson? I am hoping Jackson turns out to be a steal at 45, but we sure could have used Landry if he too becomes as good as you think he will.

What had to sting for you.....Courtland Sutton being picked right before Landry at #40 ;) I DO remember that back and forth.

Ah yes... the football god himself.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Always fun to see how the "should have could haves" work out. But even looking back, you never can be too sure that the same path would have been followed under different circumstances. As good as Aaron Rodgers is now, who knows what his career would have ended up looking like had he either ended up on the wrong team/situation or injured early on. Hell, Brett Favre could have quite easily ended up as side note in the Falcons history books.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Always fun to see how the "should have could haves" work out. But even looking back, you never can be too sure that the same path would have been followed under different circumstances. As good as Aaron Rodgers is now, who knows what his career would have ended up looking like had he either ended up on the wrong team/situation or injured early on. Hell, Brett Favre could have quite easily ended up as side note in the Falcons history books.

For the record, I have no complaints about for Gutekunst handled the first two rounds. Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, and the Saints 1st next year is a better haul than anyone else came away with. But I very notably was and am a big fan of Landry. I'm not going to claim to be right after one preseason game, but needless to say I'm bullish on him.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
So who are the locks?

QB: Rodgers (1)
RB: Jones, Williams, Montgomery, Ripkowski (4)
TE: Graham, Lewis (2)
WR: Adams, Cobb, Allison (3)
OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy (3)
OG: Taylor, McCray (2)
OC: Linsley, Patrick (2)
DL: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Adams (5)
ILB: Martinez, Burks (2)
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Gilbert (3)
CB: Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson (4)
S: Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones, Evans, Whitehead (5)
ST: Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)
Total: 39

So that leaves 14 spots. Who is in contention?

QB: Hundley, Kizer (2)
RB: Mays (1)
TE: Kendricks, Tonyan (2)
WR: Davis, Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown, Kumerow (5)
OL: Spriggs, Bell, Pankey, Davis, Day, Amichia (6)
DL: Lancaster, Looney (2)
ILB: Martini, Thomas (2)
OLB: Fackrell, Biegel, Odom, Donnerson (4)
CB: House, Pipkins, Hawkins, (3)
S: Greene (1)
ST: N/A
Total: 28

So that's 28 guys fighting for 14 spots. Who, in my opinion, doesn't really have a shot at more than the practice squad?

QB: Boyle (1)
RB: Bouagnon, Judd, Kerridge (3)
WR: Lewis, Jennings, Yancey (3)
TE: Byrd, Smith, Rader (3)
OL: Light (1)
DL: Sheehy, Mbu (2)
ILB: Crawford, Porter, Hughes (3)
OLB: Hearns (1)
CB: Brown, Goodson, Rollins (3)
ST: Triner (1)

This is my best guess at the moment:

QB: Rodgers, Kizer (2)
RB: Jones*, Williams, Montgomery, Ripkowski (4)
TE: Graham, Lewis, Kendricks (3)
WR: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, Moore, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown* (7)
OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Murphy, Spriggs (4)
OG: Taylor, McCray, Bell (3)
OC: Linsley, Patrick (2)
DL: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Lowry, Adams, Lancaster (6)
ILB: Martinez, Burks, Martini, Thomas* (4)
OLB: Matthews, Perry, Gilbert, Fackrell, Biegel (5)
CB: Williams, King, Alexander, Jackson, House, Pipkins (6)
S: Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones, Evans, Whitehead (5)
ST: Crosby, Scott, Bradley (3)
Total: 54

Practice Squad:

QB: Boyle
RB: Mays
TE: Tonyan
WR: Kumerow
OL: Pankey
OL: Davis
DL: Looney
OLB: Donnerson
CB: Brown
S: Greene

*While Jones is suspended, they can carry an extra player that might be cut from the LB or WR corps once he's back.

I would be surprised if they didn't sign a veteran inside linebacker at some point to supplement the position. Martini as the first backup is not an acceptable situation for me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm laughing right now. I was on a Saints fan sight to see if I could get a feel on how Davenport looks and much like the Spriggs draft trade, people are debating the fact that Davenport didn't cost the Saints 2 first round picks but only one, the 2019 pick. LOL Do people forget that using a pick to choose a guy is considered a "cost"? Now had the Saints stood pat at #27 and Davenport was there, he would have only cost them....one pick. God, I hope the Saints tank this year and that "one pick that Davenport cost them", turns out to be the #1 pick in the draft.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm laughing right now. I was on a Saints fan sight to see if I could get a feel on how Davenport looks and much like the Spriggs draft trade, people are debating the fact that Davenport didn't cost the Saints 2 first round picks but only one, the 2019 pick. LOL Do people forget that using a pick to choose a guy is considered a "cost"? Now had the Saints stood pat at #27 and Davenport was there, he would have only cost them....one pick. God, I hope the Saints tank this year and that "one pick that Davenport cost them", turns out to be the #1 pick in the draft.

I really don’t think they will tank, but there’s equally as good a chance in my mind that they return to their middling ways as there is this last season is the new normal.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What they need to do for Rollins sake is let him practice and play at safety and only safety. If he can’t figure it out then he needs to go. Moving him all over and trying different things isn’t gonna help the guy out at all.

Reaction score
I have mixed emotions on Davis. On one hand he's excelled at PR. But aside from that he doesn't excite me at all. He's got that Jeff Janis One dimensionalism, that only lasts so long in this league.

I'm liking what I see with Montravious. He's maturing and you can see that in his more consistent effort. He's got the physical tools he just needs to gain more experience and I think he can be special.

As far as Rollins.. he's 1-2 more performances like this from being handed his walking papers. He's like a fish out of water out there.

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, here’s my redone prediction after last night game. I know I’m gonna get killed for 3 QB’s, putting Kumerow on practice squad, and keeping Rollins for now. I also put Beigel at MLB because I haven’t seen a thing out of him at OLB and think he could be useful at MLB and occasionally coming around the edge. Kumerow has played and practiced well but isn’t SPECIAL and I still think we can get him on the PS and have him as a nice safe backup plan. Hundley looked good last night and Kizer can continue to work his craft with little pressure. I want Rollins to get a fair shot at safety and making the roster and being inactive a few weeks doesn’t hurt much and we probably don’t have to cut anyone that great to give him that shot. I’ve added my week 1 inactives to get the full picture of our roster for week 1 vs the bears. Critique away!

QB: Rodgers, Hundley, Kizer 3

RB: Williams, Monty, (Jones: Susp 2 games) 2

FB: Ripkowski 1

TE: Graham, Lewis, Kendricks 3

WR: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Moore*, St. Brown*, MVS*, Davis 7

OL: Bahktiari, Taylor, Linsley, McCray, Bulaga: Spriggs, Murphy, Bell, Patrick 9

(Madison*?)

DL: Daniels, Clark, Wilkerson, Adams, Lowry 5

OLB: Perry, Matthews, Gilbert, Fackrell, Donnerson* 5

MLB: Martinez, Burks*, Beigel 3

CB: King, Alexander*, Jackson*, Williams, House, Hawkins, Pipkins 7

S: Clinton-Dix, Brice, Jones, Rollins, Evans 5

ST: Crosby, Scott, Bradley 3

Week 1 Inactives: Kizer, EQ, Donnerson, MVS, Rollins, Hawkins, Bell

Practice Squad: Kumerow WR, Mayes RB, Waters CB, Looney DL, Boyle QB, Pankey OL, Amichia OL, Lancaster DL, Odom OLB, Thomas LB

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who returns punts?

You don't keep a guy who has almost no value as a WR because he's a decent returner. Only the very best returners merit a roster spot for that alone. Davis isn't one of those guys.

Who do you cut, or risk exposing on the PS to make room for Davis?

OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has missed far too much camp to have a realistic shot at the 53.

did you see him last night?
Madison didn’t count towards my 53. It was just my way of reminding myself he may be an option down the road. From everything I hear Bell sucks at tackle but could play guard. He’s on my inactive because Patrick would be backup center with an injury or Bell could be useful later in the season. Haven’t heard of any of the young guys doing anything so why not have a guy with some experience around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SD Cheesehead

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't keep a guy who has almost no value as a WR because he's a decent returner. Only the very best returners merit a roster spot for that alone. Davis isn't one of those guys.

When you are getting down to 5th, 6th, or 7th received you are mainly looking at special teams contributions. Punt returner is just that and Davis was also a pretty good gunner. He may even still have some upside as a receiver which I don’t really think Kumerow does. Unless Kumerow is a special teams ace (which I haven’t heard yet) Davis bears him out and Kumerow gets stashed on the PS.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Kumerow.

Same question though— who returns punts?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you are getting down to 5th, 6th, or 7th received you are mainly looking at special teams contributions. Punt returner is just that and Davis was also a pretty good gunner. He may even still have some upside as a receiver which I don’t really think Kumerow does.

Rodgers apparently thinks otherwise. He would probably know best.