Roster Additions after Cut Down?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Time for that fun part of the year where the Packers need to trim their roster down to 53 and keep an eye on the other teams cuts to see if any player cut could improve our roster.

Curious to know what others are thinking prior to and as cuts are made.

Personally, I am keeping an eye on the Redskins and what they do with both Mack Brown and Rob Kelley at RB. Prior to their last preseason game, they were #3 and #4 on the Redskins depth chart. Then they both had very impressive outings. With Crockett injured, I think either of those guys would be an upgrade to our #3.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, our #3 RB spot is up in the air still IMO. We need to bring in a veteran or something.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be really looking at any DL, and our 3rd RB definitely could use upgrading. Not a fan of what I saw last night over what Crockett had, and I wasn't as high in Crockett as some in the first place. Big guys on oline are always important, and if they see some they like better than the bottom of our depth chart, get him. Though I don't expect them to be readily available now

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Above suggestions, but I also might be looking to upgrade the WR position. Beyond Jordy right now and maybe Allison (Including Cobb) nobody has played 4 good games, and warrants a spot.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Above suggestions, but I also might be looking to upgrade the WR position. Beyond Jordy right now and maybe Allison (Including Cobb) nobody has played 4 good games, and warrants a spot.
I'm not so sure Allison will even make the final 53. Maybe the only reason he does now are the injuries to Davis and Janis. I think if the Packers are confident they can get Allison to the PS, that is where he ends up, but he hasn't shown enough to even see much regular season playing time.

As much as I would love to see a Vet WR brought in to compliment Jordy and Cobb, I think the Packers are content to go with Adams, Abby and Monty backing them up. Janis, Davis and Allison are all on the bubble to end up just about anywhere (53, IR, PS).

BTW...is it just me or does Montgomery look smaller, like he has lost some muscle mass?

Last edited:

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not just sign James jones again he is clearly successful on gb the Chargers cut him already... If the injuries are a issue but that is unlikely

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a backup center brought in to replace Barkley. His floating snaps will get Aaron killed. They take like forever to get there in shotgun.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time for that fun part of the year where the Packers need to trim their roster down to 53 and keep an eye on the other teams cuts to see if any player cut could improve our roster.

Curious to know what others are thinking prior to and as cuts are made.

Personally, I am keeping an eye on the Redskins and what they do with both Mack Brown and Rob Kelley at RB. Prior to their last preseason game, they were #3 and #4 on the Redskins depth chart. Then they both had very impressive outings. With Crockett injured, I think either of those guys would be an upgrade to our #3.
Another back they should keep an eye on is Andre Williams from NYG. The Giants have a deep stable at RB. Williams is a big back who I believe would fit as our #3. That's if the Giants decide to part ways with him.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree the 3rd running back spot could use an upgrade. Bringing in a veteran isn't TT's thing though. If a guy is brought in, it will probably be some guy we have never heard of that still has an upside compared to a veteran.

Sky King

Reaction score
That 3rd RB spot could be one of those that TT uses for someone else temporarily. If TT feels Burks is less likely to be claimed he may cut him and either look elsewhere or stash him on the PS just in case, or both.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gonna be just lacy Starks and ripkowski on the 53

Was wondering myself if they would do just that. Imagine Burks and/or Ross would make it through to the practice squad and if there was an emergency in a game, have Cobb and/or Montgomery do some things out of the backfield.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Allison will even make the final 53. Maybe the only reason he does now are the injuries to Davis and Janis. I think if the Packers are confident they can get Allison to the PS, that is where he ends up, but he hasn't shown enough to even see much regular season playing time.

As much as I would love to see a Vet WR brought in to compliment Jordy and Cobb, I think the Packers are content to go with Adams, Abby and Monty backing them up. Janis, Davis and Allison are all on the bubble to end up just about anywhere (53, IR, PS).

BTW...is it just me or does Montgomery look smaller, like he has lost some muscle mass?

I was at game last night and was about 12 rows up. Montgomery looked just fine. He showed he is still explosive too.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Was wondering myself if they would do just that. Imagine Burks and/or Ross would make it through to the practice squad and if there was an emergency in a game, have Cobb and/or Montgomery do some things out of the backfield.
I think there is a very good chance that Cobb/Montgomery will be our 3rd RB.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That 3rd RB spot could be one of those that TT uses for someone else temporarily. If TT feels Burks is less likely to be claimed he may cut him and either look elsewhere or stash him on the PS just in case, or both.

Good deductions Mr Sky King, Mr Snoops and Mr Firethorn! :tup: That thought didn't cross my mind. So far neither Burks or Ross have shown anything that special, let them go, stash one on the practice squad and bide your time with Lacy and Starks until something better comes along or is needed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm surprised that a lot of posters are worried about the third spot on the running back depth but hardly someone is mentioning the defensive line as a position in need of an upgrade. I would be all in favor of Thompson adding a veteran on the DL released by another team.

Every single one of your posts makes you look like an even bigger fool. Are you truly suggesting that Allison is the second best receiver on the roster???

I seriously doubt the Packers will keep only two running backs on the final roster.

How much would they save if they cut Barclay?

Barclay signed a one year, $700K contract with no guaranteed money this offseason. He has already earned $25,000 of it in workout bonuses. Replacing him with a rookie playing on a minimum deal would result in a total of only $225K cap savings.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm surprised that a lot of posters are worried about the third spot on the running back depth but hardly someone is mentioning the defensive line as a position in need of an upgrade. I would be all in favor of Thompson adding a veteran on the DL released by another team...
It's not that. Waiting until after week 1 means not having to guarantee a veteran DL a whole year's salary and, hopefully, they may not need one beyond game 4. The team starts out the season with scarcely enough DLs but at least its enough to get by in that first game. Barely. We may have more to talk about once the salary guarantee milestone is passed and TT can make a move for someone off the scrap heap. Meanwhile, RB candidates are plentiful and serviceable and DLs are not.

But just to make you happy, I say trade Burks for Su. ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not that. Waiting until after week 1 means not having to guarantee a veteran DL a whole year's salary and, hopefully, they may not need one beyond game 4. The team starts out the season with scarcely enough DLs but at least its enough to get by in that first game. Barely. We may have more to talk about once the salary guarantee milestone is passed and TT can make a move for someone off the scrap heap. Meanwhile, RB candidates are plentiful and serviceable and DLs are not.

You're correct about the guaranteed salary for vested veterans possibly factoring into the decision to not sign a defensive lineman until after week 1. The Packers could use another veteran on the DL for the entire season though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first comment was to be looking at any DL additions :) I just didn't elaborate.