Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like I tried to point out to Captain, only the coaches probably know all the factors. Are they not trotting Crosby out there to kick a long ball, because he can't? Or are they going for it on 4th down due to other factors. Such as playing from way behind, wind, 4th and short is worth the attempt, etc.

I get it Im just saying it sure seems theyve been avoiding field goals...might not be true but sure seems that way to the eye test

I hope we see him hit a 53 yarder to win next week but I'm not holding my breath

Reaction score
While it's true that teams don't want to kick into the end zone on every kickoff Crosby is hardly capable of doing it anymore in the first place. His touchback percentage has dropped to only 21.9% this season compared to 54.9% over the first three seasons since MLF took over.

And before you mention that it might be Bisaccia who is asking him to not kick it into the end zone his kickers averaged 60.1% touchbacks on kickoffs from 2019-21 while with the Raiders.

Woohoo, he finally made another field goal from more than 40 yards. Let's sign him to an extension because of it :rolleyes:

The Packers don't even attempt long distance field goals for the most part anymore because they're well aware that Crosby doesn't have the leg strength to consistently make them anymore. It's time to move on.
While he’s not B. Maher and someone I’d want trying a 60+ yarder, I’d totally be comfortable with Crosby kicking from inside 55 yards in relatively good conditions like last night.
Yesterday that 47 yarder had enough distance for 55 yards. She plugged the back Net at about 15 feet in the air and then dropped in the first frame While it didn’t split the upright, it crossed the threshold about 3-4 feet inside the left post The (2nd frame) This one was good from 53+ minimum and had pure distance to 55 yard range
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Attachments

• E530FFB8-9159-4627-9EA0-A9191B379A56.png
    E530FFB8-9159-4627-9EA0-A9191B379A56.png
    588.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While he’s not K Maher and someone I’d want trying a 60 yarder, I’d totally be comfortable with Crosby kicking from inside 55 yards.
Yesterday that 47 yarder had enough distance for 55 yards. She plugged the back Net at about 15 feet in the air and then dropped in the first frame While it didn’t split the upright, it crossed the threshold about 4-5 feet inside the left post The (2nd frame) It was good from 53+ minimum He’s probably a 55% type Kicker from 55
The problem is, none of this or any other facts, matter to a Packer fan that has wanted Crosby kicking for another team for years. ;)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true that teams don't want to kick into the end zone on every kickoff Crosby is hardly capable of doing it anymore in the first place. His touchback percentage has dropped to only 21.9% this season compared to 54.9% over the first three seasons since MLF took over.

And before you mention that it might be Bisaccia who is asking him to not kick it into the end zone his kickers averaged 60.1% touchbacks on kickoffs from 2019-21 while with the Raiders.
Relevance? You can't point to what Bisaccia did on another team and declare "See! I'm right! I'm right!" Different teams, different strategies. In case you haven't noticed, overall our KO coverage has been pretty damn good this year. If your coverage team regularly keeps the returner to no more than 28 yards and often stops them inside the 20, why would you want touchbacks on every kick? In your mind, should it be every ST coach's goal to get as many touchbacks as possible? Hell, I can coach ST if that's the goal.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We found that the Dolphins decided to kick real short, just to keep the hands out of the hands of our return man, after they realized the kid could take it to the house, from the end zone. It all goes back to the coverage, and the average yard marker a team starts at. I could care less how deep it is. I want to see that starting position back towards their goal line. Preferably, inside their own 25, since that's where they get it on a touch back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We found that the Dolphins decided to kick real short, just to keep the hands out of the hands of our return man, after they realized the kid could take it to the house, from the end zone. It all goes back to the coverage, and the average yard marker a team starts at. I could care less how deep it is. I want to see that starting position back towards their goal line. Preferably, inside their own 25, since that's where they get it on a touch back.
Yup and I think the 1 kick that Miami returned past the 25, ended up well short of the 20 due to holding. If you got a kicker that can pop up the kick and a special teams unit that can cover well, you want to force a return and potentially a fumble or penalty.

The last couple of seasons, teams playing the Packers got smart and started using the same strategy, not kicking the ball deep. The Packers had terrible returners and teams were very much aware of it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and I think the 1 kick that Miami returned past the 25, ended up well short of the 20 due to holding. If you got a kicker that can pop up the kick and a special teams unit that can cover well, you want to force a return and potentially a fumble or penalty.

The last couple of seasons, teams playing the Packers got smart and started using the same strategy, not kicking the ball deep. The Packers had terrible returners and teams were very much aware of it.
It's called the "game inside the game," and the average fan who's never played the game, or been involved in developing kicking strategy, would never understand, because it's that part of the game that nobody really sees. In fact, kick offs have become so ho-hum to fans that the NFL has even considered doing away with them, because there are too few returns that are exciting. Me? I see it, because I lived it, as a sidelines coach, and as a kicker. I've seen all the nuances of what's determined the best way to handle it. Like I said, it's a game within a game. Kind of like little things that soccer players do, as part of a play, to make it work, and those of us who don't understand the game that well, will never understand.

Then there's the issue of long returns being called back by penalties. It happens so often that the first thing everyone does, as a guy is headed down the sideline, is look for yellow flags, because more often than not, there's going to be one out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's called the "game inside the game," and the average fan who's never played the game, or been involved in developing kicking strategy, would never understand, because it's that part of the game that nobody really sees. In fact, kick offs have become so ho-hum to fans that the NFL has even considered doing away with them, because there are too few returns that are exciting. Me? I see it, because I lived it, as a sidelines coach, and as a kicker. I've seen all the nuances of what's determined the best way to handle it. Like I said, it's a game within a game. Kind of like little things that soccer players do, as part of a play, to make it work, and those of us who don't understand the game that well, will never understand.

Then there's the issue of long returns being called back by penalties. It happens so often that the first thing everyone does, as a guy is headed down the sideline, is look for yellow flags, because more often than not, there's going to be one out there.
Yup and well stated. I call it "the minor things, that some pay no attention to, but really matter." Clock and timeout management are another aspect that can be very critical, but people tend to not pay much attention to it.

I was actually a bit surprised when MLF sent Crosby out for the 47 YD kick, not that I didn't think he would make it, but it seemed like MLF was going to risk a lot to win that game. Howver, at that point in the game, he knew a FG could win it and as it turns out, it did.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I forget to mention that Crosby is 12th in NFL career scoring? Also, he's 12-17 over 50 yards, and it's only the last 4 years that he's attempted any 50+ kicks. It depends on the HC, as to whether or not they feel they want to kick the longer ones. Many don't. McCarthy didn't.

Reaction score
Relevance? You can't point to what Bisaccia did on another team and declare "See! I'm right! I'm right!" Different teams, different strategies. In case you haven't noticed, overall our KO coverage has been pretty damn good this year. If your coverage team regularly keeps the returner to no more than 28 yards and often stops them inside the 20, why would you want touchbacks on every kick? In your mind, should it be every ST coach's goal to get as many touchbacks as possible? Hell, I can coach ST if that's the goal.
That’s a good point. I wonder what our opponents average Kickoff starting position is?
What’s a league average idk?

Something to be said for accuracy INSIDE 50
Gregg Joseph (Vikings)
19/19 (100%)
Matt Gay (Rams)
17/17 (100%)
Jason Myers (Seattle) &
Ryan Succop (Bucs)
27/28 (96.4%)
Justin Tucker (Ravens) inside 50 is
24/25 (96.0%)
Daniel Carlson (Raiders)
Younghoe Koo (Falcons)
21/22 (95.4)
#8 Mason Crosby (Packers)
20/21 (95.2%)

Brett Maher (Cowboys) inside 50 is
18/19 (94.7%)
Cairo Santos (Chicago)
16/17 (94.1%)
Eddie Pineiro (Panthers)
29/31 (93.5%)
Matt Prater (Cards)
14/15 (93.3%)
Jason Sanders (Dolphins)
22/25 (91.7%)
Ka’imi Fairbairn (Texans)
22/24 (91.6%)
Gregg Zuerlein (Jets)
21/23 (91.3%)
Graham Gano (Giants)
19/21 (90.5%)
Chase McLaughlin (Colts)
19/21 (90.48%)
Michael Badgley (Det/Chi)
18/20 (90%)
Dustin Hopkins (Chargers)
9/10 (90%)
Joey Slye (Commodes)
17/19 (89.5%)
Tyler Bass (Bills)
25/28 (89.3%)
Harrison Butker (Chiefs)
14/16 (87.5%)
Nick Folk (Patriots) &
Riley Patterson (Jags)
26/30 (86.7%)
Jake Elliot (Eagles)
Randy Bullock (Titans)
12/14 (85.7%)
Robbie Gould (49ers)
21/25 (84.0%)
Brandon McManus (Broncos)
18/21 (80.9%)
Cade York (Browns)
19/24 (79.2%)
Chris Boswell (Steelers)
11/14 (78.6%)
Wil Lutz (Saints)
18/24 (78.3%)
Evan McPherson (Bengals)
16/21 (76.2%)

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The NFL is considering doing away with kick-offs because of the violent collisions and the injuries caused by said collisions when big muscular men are running 40+ yards at close to full speed at each other. The rest of your post is informative, you know to those casual fans.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll always remember Mason for this Classic that he created before the draft.

Lots of great moments in Crosby's career for sure and many long kicks.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Poker. The constant attacks against Crosby have been pure speculation. Unless a person knows first hand what the Packers expect of him, and are getting, why would this become an issue? I think the Packer brain trust is smart enough to know whether or not he's worth the contract he's getting. Let it go. There are real issues to consider, and NO! Rodgers is not one of them.
My take is that no, Crosby cannot kick it into the endzone very often. But it has not mattered. He kicks fewer field goals. But we go for it a lot more. I think mainly Captain wanted to save some money. And he probably has a disregard for kickers thinking just about anyone can do it. But I believe it is worth it to know we have someone reliable. It can really be a nightmare when you start the season with a bad kicker. Or worse, end the season with one.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Holy Trinity of FGs and EPs. Long snapper, holder, and kicker. Any one of them can be off a smidge, and the kick is botched.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's amazing

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Maybe if we sneak a church tower bell into the next two stadiums we`ll make the playoffs ?

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, you are assuming that because he doesn't, he can't. Have you talked to Bisaccia and Crosby, to find out what their strategy is? Seems to be working.

Ah yes, he is going to do the exact thing with the Packers as he did with the Raiders. Different players have different talents, have you stopped to think that maybe, just maybe, Crosby has the knack of kicking them high and just deep enough, to force a return? A return that with the right coverage, stops them short of the 25 YL? Seemed to be the strategy against the Dolphins, but what do I know.

The Packers (22.06%) are dead last in the league in touchback percentage by a wide margin with the next team being the Steelers (33.33%) and 24 teams above 50%. If it works that well as you suggest the team should be among the better ones in the average line of scrimmage after a kickoff. Right? Right. Well, that's not the case by any means though with them currently ranking 27th in that category at 26.27 yards.

That means that kicking into the end zone on every kickoff would result in a better field position on average.

Watch the games. The Packers have gone for it on fourth down 12 out of 19 times between the opponent's 22 and 40 yard line this season. Only two teams have a higher percentage on going for it in those situations.

It has become a yearly tradition for Captain to politic for the Packers to move on from Crosby. I think it dates all the way back to Crosby's rookie season? ;)

As far as I know I haven't even been around that long ;)

no problems with Crosby this year for me. He's aging, but he's not done. Next year again, he'll have to beat out competition to stay with the team. as it should be.

Crosby is a free agent after this season, there's no need for the Packers to re-sign him.

Watch him in warmups, he can still kick 50+ yarders. Just because he hasn't been asked to, doesn't mean he can't.

Other kickers make field goals from close to 70 yards in warmups. That doesn't mean they're able to do the same in a game though.

The problem is, none of this or any other facts, matter to a Packer fan that has wanted Crosby kicking for another team for years. ;)

Actually, I have posted facts for several years that Crosby hasn't even been an average kicker by nearly every single metric for most of his career. That doesn't matter to fans supporting him though.

It all goes back to the coverage, and the average yard marker a team starts at. I want to see that starting position back towards their goal line. Preferably, inside their own 25, since that's where they get it on a touch back.

As mentioned above, the Packers rank 27th in average LOS for the opponent after a kickoff. While you might have gotten the impression they have done pretty well in coverage they actually haven't.

Did I forget to mention that Crosby is 12th in NFL career scoring?

That's solely based on his longevity. Crosby is ranked only 53rd out of 61 kickers in field goal percentage among kickers with at least 100 attempts since entering the league though.

That’s a good point. I wonder what our opponents average Kickoff starting position is?
What’s a league average idk?

Packers' opponents starting position after a kickoff: 26.27 yards (27th)
League average: 25.35

Members online

Latest posts