Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon LTF. You know better than this. He might not 'techinically' be the one making 'authoritative' decisions, but if you pay attention you'll see what's going on. He was very vocal about his desire to get Antonio Brown, Gronk, Fournette, etc.
I think it's very clear Brady has had some influence on personal decisions. No one that I'm aware of is saying Rodgers should be in charge, but his input should be considered. He's the on field commander, he runs the offense, he must have some knowledge about what goes on.

My impression has long been that the front office has sent the message, indirectly, to Rodgers "We're in charge of personnel, you do your job and we'll do what we want". Maybe I'm mistaken, but I've felt it, so it's no surprise if Rodgers did.

IMO Rodgers is a difficult person to deal with. Hopefully that doesn't translate to locker room cancer. Bottom line is, I don't care about his personality as long as he wins us the big one. Which he hasn't done recently, so we'll see what happens this year. We should be one of the top teams.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Maybe Rodgers should of just kept the team out there and went for it on 4th down...I mean let's be honest who do you think the players would have listened to Rodgers or MLF?

Point being he doesn't need a piece of paper to be able to do that...
Rodgers said after the game that by the time he realized MLF wanted to kick the FG, there were too many special teamers already running on to the field. There was only one timeout left. If Rodgers tries to yank the kicking unit off the field, it could've created too much chaos and confusion. And if they did get off successfully, then he has to figure out a play call and analyze a defense with very little time and would've been very rushed to do so.

And he didn't want to burn the last timeout.

I love MLF. But that was a big time learning moment for him.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think it's very clear Brady has had some influence on personal decisions. No one that I'm aware of is saying Rodgers should be in charge, but his input should be considered. He's the on field commander, he runs the offense, he must have some knowledge about what goes on.

My impression has long been that the front office has sent the message, indirectly, to Rodgers "We're in charge of personnel, you do your job and we'll do what we want". Maybe I'm mistaken, but I've felt it, so it's no surprise if Rodgers did.

IMO Rodgers is a difficult person to deal with. Hopefully that doesn't translate to locker room cancer. Bottom line is, I don't care about his personality as long as he wins us the big one. Which he hasn't done recently, so we'll see what happens this year. We should be one of the top teams.
I don't think anyone has to worry about Rodgers being a good soldier and giving his all of this upcoming season. All of this is going to be a non issue as long as there are games to be played. Will it pick back up in the offseason, yes. But Rodgers isn't going to squander this opportunity to contend for a Super Bowl.

The Packers are going to have a really good squad. I love adding Cobb and Amari. The question is going to be how does Joe Barry command the defense.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers said after the game that by the time he realized MLF wanted to kick the FG, there were too many special teamers already running on to the field. There was only one timeout left. If Rodgers tries to yank the kicking unit off the field, it could've created too much chaos and confusion. And if they did get off successfully, then he has to figure out a play call and analyze a defense with very little time and would've been very rushed to do so.

And he didn't want to burn the last timeout.

I love MLF. But that was a big time learning moment for him.
That just sounds so ridiculous.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That just sounds so ridiculous.

Dude I was just making the point that Rodgers doesn't need it in his contract to be able to do that...he clearly has more pull with the players than any coach or FO exec.
And if you're saying it's ridiculous to say that mlf learned he should of gone for it...I think even mlf would admit that.

Because even if you don't convert on 4th down you still have that same chance to have your defense get you the ball back and Brady would of been backed up against his own goaline

Granted had the defensive coaches just made it really clear NO PENALTIES on that final 3rd down maybe King wouldn't have reached out and blatantly grabbed a guys jersey that had no chance to catch the ball

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dude I was just making the point that Rodgers doesn't need it in his contract to be able to do that...he clearly has more pull with the players than any coach or FO exec.
And if you're saying it's ridiculous to say that mlf learned he should of gone for it...I think even mlf would admit that.

Because even if you don't convert on 4th down you still have that same chance to have your defense get you the ball back and Brady would of been backed up against his own goaline

Granted had the defensive coaches just made it really clear NO PENALTIES on that final 3rd down maybe King wouldn't have reached out and blatantly grabbed a guys jersey that had no chance to catch the ball
Love the blame all the defensive pit falls..

While a rodgers to lazard int jumps up and bites your ***

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the blame all the defensive pit falls..

While a rodgers to lazard int jumps up and bites your ***

Was there not just as clear of a defensive penalty on that int as there was on king on that final play?

Can't really blame Rodgers for that...it was a good ball and if the db doesn't grab lazards jersey he doesn't make that play

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Some info for you guys. The details of Rodgers contract was broken down.
Via Packers Wire:
No. 1: A void season was added in 2023, making the remaining contract a two-year deal through 2022.
No. 2: Rodgers can’t be franchise-tagged by the Packers if he plays out the two seasons and becomes a true free agent in 2023.
No. 3: The Packers are converting Rodgers’ base salary this year into a signing bonus and will save around $9.3 million in salary cap space in 2021. Rodgers’ new cap hit in 2021 is around $27.9 million.
No. 4: Trading Rodgers after this season would result in a dead cap hit of around $26.8 million but an overall savings on the cap of almost $19.3 million.
According to Over the Cap, the Packers now have around $9.65 million in cap space after restructuring Rodgers’ deal.

I was looking at Over the Cap as well. Next year the Packers can cut Cobb without a cap hit. No dead money. I'm now thinking it is a no brainer they trade Rodgers because of the money they save. They are close to $50 million over the cap next season. Also, I think that both Smiths are goners. That would save them roughly $28 million. By moving those three players they save around $47 million. The Packers will look much different next season unless Rodgers is no longer disgruntled and wants out.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was looking at Over the Cap as well. Next year the Packers can cut Cobb without a cap hit. No dead money. I'm now thinking it is a no brainer they trade Rodgers because of the money they save. They are close to $50 million over the cap next season. Also, I think that both Smiths are goners. That would save them roughly $28 million. By moving those three players they save around $47 million. The Packers will look much different next season unless Rodgers is no longer disgruntled and wants out.

I think z. Smith gets extended which cuts his cap number significantly for 2022...p.smith is a gone

D. Adams gets extended lowering his cap in 2021 and structured so as to have a low number in 2022.

Both extensions back loaded in order to take advantage of huge cap increase fir 2023 (TV /Media deals)

They can afford to keep Rodgers because if they do beyond this season, he'll likely sign an extension thst also lowers his 2022 cap hit

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Nice counter argument. You should be on a debate team. I’ll give you another chance to not be lame and actually explain what’s so ridiculous about it.

The only thing ridiculous is your posting history.
First off, I never get personal with you so please extend me the same courtesy. If I have in the past, then I am truly sorry. Second, what I meant was that those are all excuses. Whether they are valid or not is up to the individual. Rodgers is supposedly the smartest guy on the field. Right? So if that's the case, doesn't he take control and command the attention of everyone? We have all seen instances where Rodgers has done great things with no timeouts and less time on the clock. If Rodgers is the best and smartest player on the field shouldn't he act like it. Those kind of situations are what separate the great ones from the average ones. I know that this probably isn't enough of an explanation for you. It's all I got.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
First off, I never get personal with you so please extend me the same courtesy. If I have in the past, then I am truly sorry. Second, what I meant was that those are all excuses. Whether they are valid or not is up to the individual. Rodgers is supposedly the smartest guy on the field. Right? So if that's the case, doesn't he take control and command the attention of everyone? We have all seen instances where Rodgers has done great things with no timeouts and less time on the clock. If Rodgers is the best and smartest player on the field shouldn't he act like it. Those kind of situations are what separate the great ones from the average ones. I know that this probably isn't enough of an explanation for you. It's all I got.
You're right, he's a great field general and he's typically among the smartest on the field. So in that situation, he expected the Packers to go for it. By the time he realized the kicking unit was marching on to the field, it would've been unwise to use that last timeout if the other 10 offensive players and 6-11 of the kicking team players get confused or cannot get set up.

Also, if Rodgers would've called LaFleur off and went for it and didn't get it then those like you would've crucified him for that.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right, he's a great field general and he's typically among the smartest on the field. So in that situation, he expected the Packers to go for it. By the time he realized the kicking unit was marching on to the field, it would've been unwise to use that last timeout if the other 10 offensive players and 6-11 of the kicking team players get confused or cannot get set up.

Also, if Rodgers would've called LaFleur off and went for it and didn't get it then those like you would've crucified him for that.
Some would have certainly crucified him for that. At the time, I would have applauded him for it but after all the crap that has gone down since then, it's easy to criticize. I admit that. Taking the heat comes with the position. #12 has obviously been feeling left out of the loop when it comes to coaching and game situations. In my opinion, he had that chance against TB and didn't take it. Thanks for the response.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the coach calls for the FG there is no way on gods green earth a QB is going to be able to or should be able to defy that. All hell would break loose. Any player with functioning brain cells would know they need to listen to the head coach. Most likely scenario is a huge cluster gaggle, delay of game penalty, back it up five yards further and a clock runoff(?). Rodgers job was to score on the preceding 3 plays, or at least move the ball closer, which he failed to do. Mr. MVP who failed on numerous occaissions to do HIS job but now feels somehow qualified to assume HC/play calling and GM/personnel moves, had better play AWEsome this year (including the post season for a change) or the boo birds WILL be out. Green Bay at this point is a laughing stock. Only thing that will change that is a Super Bowl. Put up or shut up time Aaron.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the coach calls for the FG there is no way on gods green earth a QB is going to be able to or should be able to defy that.
The coach should have the final decision, but I have no problem whatsoever if a QB wants to argue the point.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He plays for packers in 2022 or retires.

Where did you come up with this? Just personal
If the coach calls for the FG there is no way on gods green earth a QB is going to be able to or should be able to defy that. All hell would break loose. Any player with functioning brain cells would know they need to listen to the head coach. Most likely scenario is a huge cluster gaggle, delay of game penalty, back it up five yards further and a clock runoff(?). Rodgers job was to score on the preceding 3 plays, or at least move the ball closer, which he failed to do. Mr. MVP who failed on numerous occaissions to do HIS job but now feels somehow qualified to assume HC/play calling and GM/personnel moves, had better play AWEsome this year (including the post season for a change) or the boo birds WILL be out. Green Bay at this point is a laughing stock. Only thing that will change that is a Super Bowl. Put up or shut up time Aaron.

They would all listen to Rodgers dude...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Amish, Does this mean he is gruntled again?
I hope so. Seems to me his behavior and demanor is different. My gut tells me he is trying hard to appear happy. I don't mean to say he is unhappy, but he wants to make sure people don't get the impression he is.

I think he is gruntled.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the coach calls for the FG there is no way on gods green earth a QB is going to be able to or should be able to defy that. All hell would break loose. Any player with functioning brain cells would know they need to listen to the head coach. Most likely scenario is a huge cluster gaggle, delay of game penalty, back it up five yards further and a clock runoff(?). Rodgers job was to score on the preceding 3 plays, or at least move the ball closer, which he failed to do. Mr. MVP who failed on numerous occaissions to do HIS job but now feels somehow qualified to assume HC/play calling and GM/personnel moves, had better play AWEsome this year (including the post season for a change) or the boo birds WILL be out. Green Bay at this point is a laughing stock. Only thing that will change that is a Super Bowl. Put up or shut up time Aaron.a
I kind of agree with you and like your writing. It is just too strongly and aggressively worded for me to AGREE with it.

Members online

Latest posts