Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where did you come up with this? Just personal

They would all listen to Rodgers dude...
Then by your reasoning kicking the FG on 4th after 3 Rodgers whiffs… was ultimately Rodgers call… because he had the total power to wave off the FG team and 20 players would have defied the HC …. Yer on a strange planet dude

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then by your reasoning kicking the FG on 4th after 3 Rodgers whiffs… was ultimately Rodgers call… because he had the total power to wave off the FG team and 20 players would have defied the HC …. Yer on a strange planet dude

Haha I am on a strange planet that's for sure...

But yes I do think the team would listen to Rodgers over the headcoach...

Rodgers is a fhof player mlf can hope to be a fhof coach if Rodgers wins him one and Love turns out to be numero tres but at that point he was just a 2nd year head coach. I'm quite sure the players respect Rodgers more.

Also I agree and have posted numerous time about Rodgers failures in the NFCCG against the bucs

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with you actually. Rodgers is the head of the offense while on the field. I guess we're talking about special teams here, but still. Not saying that's the way it should or shouldn't be, but I agree the team would follow Rodgers' direction.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you actually. Rodgers is the head of the offense while on the field. I guess we're talking about special teams here, but still. Not saying that's the way it should or shouldn't be, but I agree the team would follow Rodgers' direction.
At that point, Lombardi takes his last timeout, yanks Rodgers, sits his *** down… and trades him to Philly.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers is a fhof player mlf can hope to be a fhof coach if Rodgers wins him one and Love turns out to be numero tres but at that point he was just a 2nd year head coach. I'm quite sure the players respect Rodgers more.

Also I agree and have posted numerous time about Rodgers failures in the NFCCG against the bucs
So by your reasoning in effect it was Rodgers call to kick the field goal

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By my reasoning if he would have tried to wave off the FG team it would have resulted in so much confusion that it would have necessitated using the final TO to avoid a delay of game penalty.

IMO the biggest error, and he admitted it, was MLFs not telling Rodgers he was going to kick the FG if the third down play failed to get them any closer. If that would have been conveyed perhaps Rodgers would have tried to run it in. Had he done so I think he would have gotten down the the 2 at the very least and perhaps he would have even scored. Had he gotten it to the 2 I think MLF would have gone for it. Just my opinion.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At that point, Lombardi takes his last timeout, yanks Rodgers, sits his *** down… and trades him to Philly.
Maybe not, if Rodgers was confident he could get the TD (which he probably wasn't). Remember, Bart Starr called the winning play in the Ice Bowl. Different times, I know, and Starr called the plays anyway. But still, I think he'd have some trust in his QB. Lombardi seemed like a practical guy. Now if it didn't work out, hello Philly lol.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe not, if Rodgers was confident he could get the TD (which he probably wasn't). Remember, Bart Starr called the winning play in the Ice Bowl. Different times, I know, and Starr called the plays anyway. But still, I think he'd have some trust in his QB. Lombardi seemed like a practical guy. Now if it didn't work out, hello Philly lol.
Called or suggested?? time out and suggested ( my.memory says that) to vince a qb sneak...

I get your point, the 2 situations are diff though...IMO cant use this as a compairasion

One had to be decided in a few secs. The other was DISCUSSED with the HC. bart had time to think about it on the way to talk to the HC

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was there not just as clear of a defensive penalty on that int as there was on king on that final play?

Can't really blame Rodgers for that...it was a good ball and if the db doesn't grab lazards jersey he doesn't make that play
That wasn't a good ball. If Lazard hadn't been held, the ball would have been severely behind Lazard.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe not, if Rodgers was confident he could get the TD (which he probably wasn't). Remember, Bart Starr called the winning play in the Ice Bowl.

Not exactly. He advised Vince of what he was seeing the defense doing and suggested a QB sneak might be the ticket. Vince basically said, "Fine. Do it and let's get the F*** out of here!"

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Was there not just as clear of a defensive penalty on that int as there was on king on that final play?

Can't really blame Rodgers for that...it was a good ball and if the db doesn't grab lazards jersey he doesn't make that play
Lol..always an excuse

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly. He advised Vince of what he was seeing the defense doing and suggested a QB sneak might be the ticket. Vince basically said, "Fine. Do it and let's get the F*** out of here!"
IIRC the discussion was about a weak spot in the Dallas line. And the play called for a handoff but he decided to keep the ball himself. I'm not sure anyone else knew this, other than Starr himself.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IIRC the discussion was about a weak spot in the Dallas line. And the play called for a handoff but he decided to keep the ball himself. I'm not sure anyone else knew this, other than Starr himself.
Well, Starr said he told Vince that he could shuffle his feet and score...basically. And Starr then said Vince told him Well then run the play and let's get the hell out of here.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something that not many have brought up about that play is the speed that Chuck Howley (linebacker) got into the backfield from the cowboy left side. I think if we had tried to hand it off again, Howley would have tackled the runner even if he did not slip, before the goal line. You could tell he was shocked when Starr kept the ball and there was no one to tackle. I would say The Ice Bowl was the single most important game in the history of The Packers. I guess I'm not going out on much of a limb there.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Starr said he told Vince that he could shuffle his feet and score...basically.
See, I was thinking his comment about shuffling his feet was when he was talking about the play afterward. I don't know, I could be misremembering.

Anyway, I still think if Rodgers called off the field goal team, they would have gone back to the sideline. Now if MLF told them to go back out on the field, I'm sure they would have done that too lol.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See, I was thinking his comment about shuffling his feet was when he was talking about the play afterward. I don't know, I could be misremembering.

Anyway, I still think if Rodgers called off the field goal team, they would have gone back to the sideline. Now if MLF told them to go back out on the field, I'm sure they would have done that too lol.
why am I thinking of this?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I always understood. The play called was a handoff to Mercein. But Starr didn't want anyone to change how they ran the play so he could exploit the weakness he had been seeing. So he didn't tell anyone he was keeping it.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I always understood. The play called was a handoff to Mercein. But Starr didn't want anyone to change how they ran the play so he could exploit the weakness he had been seeing. So he didn't tell anyone he was keeping it. Just one example of Bart playing chess while everyone else was playing checkers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I always understood. The play called was a handoff to Mercein. But Starr didn't want anyone to change how they ran the play so he could exploit the weakness he had been seeing. So he didn't tell anyone he was keeping it.
Yes, that is true. But he told Vince on the sidelines and Vince told him to run the play and Let's get the hell out of here.

Members online

Latest posts