Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My guess is that if there was any discussion by the Packers FO with Rodgers about trading him, it was AFTER Love was drafted.

I'm also speculating that there was no firm agreement to do so or it would have been in writing. I also have to wonder if it wasn't Aaron himself that initiated the trade conversation with something like "You might as well just trade me now, since it's obvious Love is your guy." Gute or Murphy might have said something to the effect of "I guess we will evaluate that after the season."

All that said, I really can't see a scenario where the Packers point blank told AR, with 100% assurity, that they were trading him after the 2020 season. Why would they? So that a rookie QB with zero NFL experience could take over his spot? Makes no sense and continues to make no sense this season, which is why the Packers immediately came out and said "We aren't trading Aaron Rodgers."
100 percent still feel they never told him?

Reports now saying there is a hand shake, wink wink deal

Think I tossed that out b4?? ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
100 percent still feel they never told him?

Reports now saying there is a hand shake, wink wink deal

Think I tossed that out b4?? ;)
I think that is pretty much what I said? No firm agreement, nothing in writing, possibly implied. The bottom line, nothing enforceable. I mean Aaron very well could have asked for it in writing or even asked for the opposite, a no trade clause, years ago, but he obviously didn't succeed if he did ask for either.

I think what's disappointing in all this to me is the fact that the Packers and Rodgers both agreed to a contract that was very favorable to both sides at the time. Rodgers got a ton of upfront money, as well as becoming the highest paid player in the NFL. The Packers locked up their HOF QB with a huge upfront investment, but wisely gave themselves some outs on the backend of the deal. So what changed? Packers hired MLF, improved the offense, defense and Rodgers has an MVP year. So then Aaron decides all these underlying decisions that the FO made now bother him enough that he was going to leverage his position against them. Guess what Aaron, those decisions impacted the rest of your teammates too. Some in a personal positive way and some in a personal negative way. However, all those decisions were made in an attempt to better the team. Rodgers pouty act was mostly veiled in a "I'm helping my current and future teammates by my actions." Nahhh...you aren't Aaron, you are just being you.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that is pretty much what I said? No firm agreement, nothing in writing, possibly implied. The bottom line, nothing enforceable. I mean Aaron very well could have asked for it in writing or even asked for the opposite, a no trade clause, years ago, but he obviously didn't succeed if he did ask for either.

I think what's disappointing in all this to me is the fact that the Packers and Rodgers both agreed to a contract that was very favorable to both sides at the time. Rodgers got a ton of upfront money, as well as becoming the highest paid player in the NFL. The Packers locked up their HOF QB with a huge upfront investment, but wisely gave themselves some outs on the backend of the deal. So what changed? Packers hired MLF, improved the offense, defense and Rodgers has an MVP year. So then Aaron decides all these underlying decisions that the FO made now bother him enough that he was going to leverage his position against them. Guess what Aaron, those decisions impacted the rest of your teammates too. Some in a personal positive way and some in a personal negative way. However, all those decisions were made in an attempt to better the team. Rodgers pouty act was mostly veiled in a "I'm helping my current and future teammates by my actions." Nahhh...you aren't Aaron, you are just being you.
This is what you said...

"I'm also speculating that there was no firm agreement to do so or it would have been in writing"

I took that to mean you didnt believe there was a wink nudge nudge deal

I said it was a hand shake..

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the haters here would have had a horrible time at family night

Attachments

• 20210807_221720.jpg
    20210807_221720.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 94

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the haters here would have had a horrible time at family night
Funny that #12 has become the moniker of a whiny, self-centered narcissist and #21 has become the moniker of a dignified, incredibly talented Hall of Famer. Congratulations Charles Woodsen!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny that #12 has become the moniker of a whiny, self-centered narcissist and #21 has become the moniker of a dignified, incredibly talented Hall of Famer. Congratulations Charles Woodsen!
Funny thing Woodson and Rodgers have a mutual respect for one another...Woodson one of the guys Rodgers named that wasn't treated like he should have been on his way out the door

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is you didn't realize Woodson backed up Rodgers' words so....yeah nice try

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny thing is you didn't realize Woodson backed up Rodgers' words so....yeah nice try
On the surface maybe he was confirming or implying...but he never backed up if he was mistreated....

"Happy to hear aaron speak and tell what he was feeling in his own words rather than all of the back and forth we’ve been doing the last couple months,” the recent Hall-of-Fame inductee wrote."

Where does ***** back up he was mistreated?? He only is happy rodgers used his own words and not media

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing Woodson and Rodgers have a mutual respect for one another...Woodson one of the guys Rodgers named that wasn't treated like he should have been on his way out the door
I suspect that Woodsen said those things because he is a class guy unlike the other one without a shred of class. #12 doesn't have mutual respect for anyone as far as I can tell.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suspect that Woodsen said those things because he is a class guy unlike the other one without a shred of class. #12 doesn't have mutual respect for anyone as far as I can tell.

Woodson is a cocky dude too man, it's kinda par for the course when you're that competitive...I own a Woodson jersey, only one I've ever just bought on a wihm. I'd never own a Rodgers jersey but to say he doesn't respect Woodson is just ignorant

I guess I also own a Nick Collins autographed jersey as well but that one was bought for personal reasons.....nick the quick

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson is a cocky dude too man, it's kinda par for the course when you're that competitive...I own a Woodson jersey, only one I've ever just bought on a wihm. I'd never own a Rodgers jersey but to say he doesn't respect Woodson is just ignorant

I guess I also own a Nick Collins autographed jersey as well but that one was bought for personal reasons.....nick the quick
Cocky is not the same thing as being a di**, although they do sound like they are similar.

Woodson has, to my knowledge, always been professional, respectful, and mature. Aaron Rodgers has not.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cocky is not the same thing as being a di**, although they do sound like they are similar.

Woodson has, to my knowledge, always been professional, respectful, and mature. Aaron Rodgers has not.

Before he came to Green Bay that was not the narrative on Woodson...he turned his career and his legacy for lack of a better term, around in GB

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before he came to Green Bay that was not the narrative on Woodson...he turned his career and his legacy for lack of a better term, around in GB
Al Davis did not like Woodson. He didn't like Marcus Allen either. Woodson had his own off season conditioning program and didnt want to follow the Raiders. He was always in top notch condition so not sure why it was an issue for Al.

But all his teammates at the time loved him.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the record, I think the loss of Nick Collins was one that sent the Packer defense on a downward turn and frankly they have never recovered from it. He was headed for great things. Terrible shame. My opinion of whether #12 respects Woodsen? I have a feeling that #12's definition of respect is probably far different than anyone else's. Why wouldn't it be? His reason for being is to be controversial.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodsen went to Green Bay because they were the only ones who showed any interest. I have heard that he said there was no way that he would play there. Apparently, when he realized it was either there or nowhere, he swallowed his pride and went all in. It speaks to the difficulty the Packers have at signing free agents. Things worked out nicely wouldn't you say? By the way, his legacy and career were already cemented in to the HOF.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodsen went to Green Bay because they were the only ones who showed any interest. I have heard that he said there was no way that he would play there. Apparently, when he realized it was either there or nowhere, he swallowed his pride and went all in.
Not exactly correct. Tampa had shown interest as well. If GB was the ONLY team they wouldn't have needed to sign him to a 7yr/$52mil deal. This signing happened the day after Favre said he'd play in '06...coincidence?

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly correct. Tampa had shown interest as well. If GB was the ONLY team they wouldn't have needed to sign him to a 7yr/$52mil deal. This signing happened the day after Favre said he'd play in '06...coincidence?
I just watched "A Football Life" about Charles Woodsen. Straight out of the announcers mouth - "it was Green Bay or retirement". Woodsen never mentioned a word about Tampa Bay.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just watched "A Football Life" about Charles Woodsen. Straight out of the announcers mouth - "it was Green Bay or retirement". Woodsen never mentioned a word about Tampa Bay.
He also said after being signed here that he regrets not giving us a fair chance right away. He was blown away by the culture

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of these stories mention TB was interested in Woodson. Not a huge deal whether they were, or were not... just found other accounts of the situation.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=2423159 and https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...best-nfl-free-agent-signings-ever-came-to-be/

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the way, his legacy and career were already cemented in to the HOF.

Before he became a Packer?

I don't see that at all...he might have eventually gone somewhere else and been great too, but like you said he reluctantly came to GB because it was his only reasonable offer

He turned himself into a hofer as a Packer

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Davis did not like Woodson. He didn't like Marcus Allen either. Woodson had his own off season conditioning program and didnt want to follow the Raiders. He was always in top notch condition so not sure why it was an issue for Al.

But all his teammates at the time loved him.
Al Davis was also a huge racist.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From that ESPN article: "Notable is that the agreement came one day after quarterback Brett Favre, who urged Packers executives to make some high-profile additions to the roster in the offseason, apprised Green Bay officials that he will return for a 16th season in 2006. It is not believed that Favre's decision was based on any inkling that the Packers were about to land Woodson."

That was okay, then, but not for Rodgers now? hmmm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts