Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Rodgers has said himself, why wouldn't the best player on the team make the most money? If you are at your job and the company can only afford to pay people certain wages and you were the best employee how would you feel if others got paid more? Of course, you would take a pay cut because it is for the greater good. I'm not buying it.

Analogies are usually tricky. Who is the company in this scenario? If it's the Packers, he's being paid way more than the others. He's may not even be the best employee, just the best at his particular piece of the pie. What's the company goal? If it's to be the best one in the business (and, if he shares that goal), it comes down to me vs. us.

Reaction score
17) The team, seeing no value in trading Rodgers now, will play hard ball and force him to sit out or retire.
If Rodgers does that IMO it will define his career with the Packers. Like a black cloud over his legacy and that’s not what I want to see at all. It will always be a “what if” scenario and I see him pointing at the Packers, but in fact the only thing in his control will be that he gave up on his team over a personal dispute. That’s not going to be a look that wears well IMO.

Also, if Rodgers takes a season off? He’s losing what is likely between 20-25% of his remaining career. Another 20-25% will most likely be used up learning the nuances of a completely different system. In those 2 seasons, he gives up what are possibly 2 of his 3-4 best years left.

This is not to say he can’t still play effectively. After watching multiple older QB’s (Marino, Favre, Elway, P.Manning, Brees, Brady etc..) there is a significant drop point after age 39-41 range. Rodgers could be turning 40 in his first season after regaining his momentum (projected) in a stalemate move and then to get traded elsewhere.

By my calculation, Aaron Rodgers is at an impasse and that’s caused much frustration. If he succumbs to 1 more season ending type injury after this season he’s likely done altogether and GB knows it. The Packers system is QB friendly as far as QB protection he’d better think hard about that when going abroad as the grass ain’t always greener.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why stop there??? Let's just trade every good player on the roster to get as many draft picks as possible. That sounds like a lot of fun :rolleyes:

The Packers wouldn't be a legit Super Bowl contender without Rodgers at this point. Another big-time playmaker wouldn't change anything about that.

No, I don't like our super bowl chances this year if we trade Rodgers and don't get a star QB or a decent QB who is a good passer with a clutch, big time playmaker on offense. No, we also are not a team that can win with defense and running the ball like the 85 Bears or the Ravens in the 2000s and 2010's. A bad QB can also make a great team bad.

With that being said, football is a team sport, and you can't win with just a great QB and a bad, or even average, team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
17) The team, seeing no value in trading Rodgers now, will play hard ball and force him to sit out or retire.
Very good post overall, but I think you hit the nail on the head with this one. I honestly think it's going to be one of two things at this point.

1. Like you alluded to, trade Rodgers next offseason. The Packers might even be willing to let Rodgers sit out the season and take their lumps. But I think they draw a tough line in the sand and say "okay. You clearly don't want to come back. We've done all that we know to do and you're done. But it just isn't going to happen this season, regardless of what you threaten to do." But I could see some type of agreement/compromise of Rodgers playing one more season and then both sides mutually agree to part next offseason. To expound upon what Rodgers has reportedly said about Jerry Krause (the late Bulls GM), it could be the Packers/Rodgers version of "the last dance".

2. The Packers and Rodgers agree to an extension that locks Rodgers up for a few more years. Gutekunst concedes SOME personnel input from Rodgers, maybe even gets a little aggressive in dealing a couple of future picks for some more established veteran talent to really push for a championship or two. Like it or not, Rodgers will have some chances to win Super Bowls with the Packers especially if they are willing to mortgage at least a portion of the future in order to do so. This will also free up some money now to add more pieces.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fully aware that there wasn't a preseason and limited practices and la la la. I get all of that. But he wasn't ready or wasn't good enough at any point in the season to be considered good enough to suit up. The Packers knew the concerns about the season on draft night.

So like I said, fair or not from your perspective, my bigger point still remains.

I appreciate you holding me to a high standard though. No sarcasm. :tup:
Exactly… that is the point…. It’s not really a criticism of Love…. He could still end up being everything we hope. BUT that does not change the fact that drafting him has contributed to the mess the Packers are currently in with Rodgers and he certainly did not help the 2020 Packers. The argument cuts both ways…. Yes they made the NFCCG anyway. Drafting any other position than QB had the potential to help the team that year. It is a hindsight argument to say that it wouldn’t have mattered. Maybe it is a correct statement (I’m not entirely convinced of that btw) …. But ultimately it’s irrelevant… the message it sent to Rodgers and the rest of the team is why we are dealing with this now.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fully aware that there wasn't a preseason and limited practices and la la la. I get all of that. But he wasn't ready or wasn't good enough at any point in the season to be considered good enough to suit up. The Packers knew the concerns about the season on draft night.

So like I said, fair or not from your perspective, my bigger point still remains.

I appreciate you holding me to a high standard though. No sarcasm. :tup:

I wasn't a fan of the pick but you're entire first sentence should pretty much explain the rest of what you said. You had a raw rookie QB coming into the league during a season in which he received ZERO preseason work and was then forced to rely on in-season practice to improve. In-season practice is about installing gameplans and walkthroughs, I would be shocked if he got even 10% of the QB snaps during practice during the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Like you alluded to, trade Rodgers next offseason. The Packers might even be willing to let Rodgers sit out the season and take their lumps.

I know you went on to say that in this scenario they might convince him to play this final season, which I could potentially see. However, I don't see the Packers sitting him for a year and then trading him. That wouldn't make much sense in that they seem to be saying "we won't cave, yet, so go sit in your timeout, but we will give in next year". Not to mention I am pretty confident that they get less in a trade if they do that. If they sit him, I think it will be for the remaining 3 years of his contract.

I think they go all in either way. Either a trade in the next month or 2 for maximum value or he is back in Green Bay, with a slight chance of an agreed upon parting of the ways next year.

Premontre1969

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly… that is the point…. It’s not really a criticism of Love…. He could still end up being everything we hope. BUT that does not change the fact that drafting him has contributed to the mess the Packers are currently in with Rodgers and he certainly did not help the 2020 Packers. The argument cuts both ways…. Yes they made the NFCCG anyway. Drafting any other position than QB had the potential to help the team that year. It is a hindsight argument to say that it wouldn’t have mattered. Maybe it is a correct statement (I’m not entirely convinced of that btw) …. But ultimately it’s irrelevant… the message it sent to Rodgers and the rest of the team is why we are dealing with this now.

I sure hope they told Aaron Rodgers that they were hiring Blake Bortles. Otherwise, he might get even more angry.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Analogies are usually tricky. Who is the company in this scenario? If it's the Packers, he's being paid way more than the others. He's may not even be the best employee, just the best at his particular piece of the pie. What's the company goal? If it's to be the best one in the business (and, if he shares that goal), it comes down to me vs. us.

In your analogy, the company just hired his replacement and wants the best employee in the company (that's absolutely true, he is by FAR the best employee) to keep risking his body to help the company push forward while knowing that the company is no longer dedicated to him. I'd also add that the best employee feels unappreciated by management (it doesn't matter what your opinion is, all that matters is what Rodgers feels) and that's absolutely a failure by management.

I would love to see the employee that continues to give it his/her all when the company has literally hired that employee's replacement which, by making the hire, has not helped the employee do their job.

The company analogy does fall apart when you start to look at goals. Most companies would be ecstatic to be #1 every once in a while but top-10 all the time. Most fans would prefer two Super Bowls a decade even if it also meant two losing seasons each decade.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I sure hope they told Aaron Rodgers that they were hiring Blake Bortles. Otherwise, he might get even more angry.
I'm sure you're joking, but Rodgers doesn't give a crap about the Packers bringing in a washed up has been. But trading up in the 1st round of the draft to select his apparent successor is totally different.

Like I said, no problem with poking some fun. I actually think it's funny.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we draft 3 receivers in 1 draft a few years ago to help AR? Well, that didn't turn out the way they thought but that's life.
I'm tired of AR rolling his eyes and his attitude at times. Apparently he never makes a mistake and if he does, sure will not admit it. It's always someone else's fault.
It's time to fish or cut bait. Do not trade, let him retire and pay back the money he would owe and use that for some free agents.
Oh ya, didn't he have some medical problems and his performance was suspect a few years ago? Can't blame the GM for drafting a QB.
Man, his head must really be swelling with all the coverage he's receiving, as if it needed more. Not a humble bone in his body.
We may have a few tough yrs ahead but I'm ready to see what Love or someone else can accomplish and yes, I lived through the bleak years.
Stand firm Gute.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Didn't we draft 3 receivers in 1 draft a few years ago to help AR? Well, that didn't turn out the way they thought but that's life.
Yes. 3 receivers in mid to late rounds.

You've got J'Mon who was a bust. You've got EQ that has underwhelmed, and you've got MVS who is in a lot of ways a 1 trick pony who isn't even all that good at the one trick. He's improved some in the intermediate route running department, but not much. He's good value for where he was picked.

But the Packers have not allocated a legitimate resource toward the position group in several years now. It's beyond tiring to continually see the lack of a legitimate draft resource, the lack of a legitimate free agent resource, or the lack of a legitimate resource via trade to improve the position group.

Some can scoff if they want to about "but we had the best offense in football". But first of all, that is solely because of two men: Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur. Just imagine if Rodgers had another high caliber weapon on the goal line down 5 in the NFC championship game.

Amari Rodgers could turn out to be a good player. And I certainly hope he does. But he would be the most talented player but a wide margin that the Packers have acquired to contribute to the receiving position in quite a long time.

I'm tired of AR rolling his eyes and his attitude at times. Apparently he never makes a mistake and if he does, sure will not admit it. It's always someone else's fault.
When you make the playoffs every single season that you play a full season except for 1 time since your rookie season, you can have a questionable attitude. It's what you deal with when you have a guy of his caliber.

Oh ya, didn't he have some medical problems and his performance was suspect a few years ago? Can't blame the GM for drafting a QB.
The team literally had just made it to the NFC Championship game.

Man, his head must really be swelling with all the coverage he's receiving, as if it needed more. Not a humble bone in his body.
We may have a few tough yrs ahead but I'm ready to see what Love or someone else can accomplish and yes, I lived through the bleak years.
Stand firm Gute.
If you're okay with winning 6 games a year, then fine. I'm not.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you make the playoffs every single season that you play a full season except for 1 time since your rookie season, you can have a questionable attitude. It's what you deal with when you have a guy of his caliber.

The character of a man is not to be controlled by their successes or failures, they are not intertwined as many lie to themselves to believe.

rdawsoniii

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To those of you who think the Packers drafted Love to “push Rodgers out”.......

Just when, exactly, should the team be looking to the future, when Rodgers retires? Should they wait until that time? Or should they get the person they hope to take over, and give him 4-5 years to develop and learn?

I just don’t understand Rodgers’s attitude about this. The Packers weren’t trying to push Aaron out by drafting Love....they were planning for the future.

And those of you upset because the Packers are actually thinking of the future, are probably the same ones who whined when Rodgers was drafted.

Reaction score
Amari Rodgers could turn out to be a good player. And I certainly hope he does. But he would be the most talented player but a wide margin that the Packers have acquired to contribute to the receiving position in quite a long time.
Amen.
Amari reminds me of the mold of slightly shorter of a
Ty Montgomery + Randall Cobb mixture, his burst is similar to Cobbs but at 20 pounds heavier.
Amaris lower body to upper body balance gives him a unique combination of burst and strength. He has the best qualities of Cobb and Ty and that’s what makes him dangerous YAC. His burst is similar to Cobb, but when engaging he’s more like Monty in strength. Low center of gravity/elite arm strength makes him harder to get off balance with a substandard attempt to tackle him high or wrestle him down.

I hope Aaron Rodgers gets a chance to put him to work. It’s a perfect match as a Rodgers/Rodgers play timing will maximize one of Amari’s strongest features. Getting Amari the ball in space with momentum is a match made in Heaven (I don’t think Love is ready for that yet, it was his a relative weakness in college)
He’s every bit a Randall Cobb type potential IMO, but a half round later.
Basically , Amari is a Ty Turbo at 9 draft picks earlier (85th vs 92nd) which makes this a very impressive selection.
Aaron Rodgers needs to be reminded that we selected a nice chess piece for him there and moved up to make it happen as an olive branch. I also loved the pick at iOL and we could very well match lasts years protection.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While they have selected 7 WRs in just 5 drafts since Ty Montgomery - I would concur speaking very speculatively it would appear Amari should become the best since - however MVS is making a stronger case than many desire to admit to be the best of that bunch of 7 draftees.

MVS with all his faults has been in his time arguably the best or one of the best deep ball threats in all of the NFL. That is no slouch receiving option if we want to discuss best receiving types drafted.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amen.
Amari reminds me of the mold of slightly shorter of a
Ty Montgomery + Randall Cobb mixture, his burst is similar to Cobbs but at 20 pounds heavier.
Amaris lower body to upper body balance gives him a unique combination of burst and strength. He has the best qualities of Cobb and Ty and that’s what makes him dangerous YAC. His burst is similar to Cobb, but when engaging he’s more like Monty in strength. Low center of gravity/elite arm strength makes him harder to get off balance with a substandard attempt to tackle him high or wrestle him down.

I hope Aaron Rodgers gets a chance to put him to work. It’s a perfect match as a Rodgers/Rodgers play timing will maximize one of Amari’s strongest features. Getting Amari the ball in space with momentum is a match made in Heaven (I don’t think Love is ready for that yet, it was his a relative weakness in college)
He’s every bit a Randall Cobb type potential IMO, but a half round later.
Basically , Amari is a Ty Turbo at 9 draft picks earlier (85th vs 92nd) which makes this a very impressive selection.
Aaron Rodgers needs to be reminded that we selected a nice chess piece for him there and moved up to make it happen as an olive branch. I also loved the pick at iOL and we could very well match lasts years protection.

I know folks got mad when I said he is everything everyone hoped Ty Monty would have been and then some...but it is true. He is much more a pure WR than Ty ever was or will be, soft hands and above average route running. He literally is a slot WR, with intense ball skills and burst - that happens to look like a RB.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The character of a man is not to be controlled by their successes or failures, they are not intertwined as many lie to themselves to believe.

I'd say it this way. The character of a man is not determined by his success or failure but how that character is viewed by others certainly is.

In other words we put up with a lot more crap from successful people than we would from someone less successful.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say it this way. The character of a man is not determined by his success or failure but how that character is viewed by others certainly is.

In other words we put up with a lot more crap from successful people than we would from someone less successful.

I think you knocked that out of the park for most of society for sure.