Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I look at it this way

Rodgers has had some ups and downs in his numbers. For example, his TD to int ratio was actually worse in 2010 than it was in 2009.

Also, seems like people want to start the Rodgers decline talk at the 4-year period from 2016 on out in order to control the narrative while purposefully leaving 2015 out. That year his TD total dropped by 7 from 2014, his pass yards by more than 500, and his completion % by 5 points.

My guess is that's because his numbers jumped back up again next year after he started the run the table thing. Went back up to 40 TDs and 4,400 plus yards, and the 104 rating.

Now, it's true the normal rating and the QBR both dropped from 2016 to 2017, but they were both still better than 2015. Imo, you can't judge accurately whether he was in total decline from 2016 through the short period of 2017 because he never got to finish that year. Plus he was on a TD pass tear in the two games leading up to the Barr incident.

The only seasons I point to as a decline barometer are 2018 and 2019. But the reason I didn't sound off the alarm bells over that was because Favre had a similar thing happen in the two-year period from the year Sherman got fired and McCarthy taking over. His numbers were pretty bad there, but then jumped up again in McCarthy's second year kind of like Rodgers's did last year.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00.htm

Guess all that to say coaches going bad, new systems having to be installed, all of those can have a correlation to a player declining or getting resurrected.
2015 was the season that Jordy Nelson got hurt early in the season. The offense struggled. IMO, both McCarthy and Rodgers were slow to adapt to missing Nelson’s presence.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2015 was the season that Jordy Nelson got hurt early in the season. The offense struggled. IMO, both McCarthy and Rodgers were slow to adapt to missing Nelson’s presence.

True, but the whole point is I'm pretty sure the 4-year steady decline myth can get debunked easily.

A 2-year decline in 2018 and 2019? Sure I can go with that

A 4-year decline? No

The likelihood Rodgers suddenly drops off a cliff while LaFleur's offense is improving? I don't think so

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no decline it's clear he's been Aaron Rodgers the whole time...what was the quote from him? Something like my down years are career years for other guys

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont go too deep into this, but as the old saying goes "You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family. I actually have a lot more respect for someone that can distance themselves from an "unhealthy" family situation. I also hear many people talk of family like its an obligation and not that deep of a desire to spend time with them.

Not judging Rodgers as right or wrong or anyone. All I am pointing out is that I feel there is a misconception that family SHOULD mean everything to everyone. Because in some situations that would be an unhealthy take on ones life.

You're correct in that all beings should mean everything to everyone because we are all one in the end. And further if we lived in a society like that where we all truly cared for one another as if we were on the same team instead of competing for scraps....then the world would be a completely unrecognizable place from the things we commonly see today

But being as you have to start somewhere, family, is a good place...if you can't even forgive your own family then it's highly unlikely you can a stranger

Also that is why I thought I put in the qualifier of...there are some things that are so bad that family should be disowned for lack of a better term. But I hope it's not that serious with Rodgers and his family and I don't think it is...

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
True, but the whole point is I'm pretty sure the 4-year steady decline myth can get debunked easily.

A 4-year decline? No

The likelihood Rodgers suddenly drops off a cliff while LaFleur's offense is improving? I don't think so
I agree with the 2 year decline, and I've been on that side when against Rodgers. However, the more I think about it, was it really a decline?

Aaron was injured against the Bears in the season opener in 2018, played through that injury the whole year.

2019 1st year in MLF's offense, could be a reason why he didn't perform to our or his standards. Also, I can see the concern that maybe it could be lingering effects of injuries taking a toll on Rodgers, and a decline in his play may continue.

2020 Packers decide to draft Love. Aaron mentions in an interview during the summer that he found something in his mechanics that was effecting his throws, corrected it. Also, 2nd year in MLF'S offense, and has an MVP season.

I understand the FO drafting Love. I understand Rodgers wanting more guarantee years. I think Rodgers, barring injury, has 2-3 really good years left. I also think Love can be the future, but he isn't ready yet. Hopefully the 2 sides can hash this out, and Aaron can stay in Green Bay moving forward. If not, it was a pretty good ride.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the 2 year decline, and I've been on that side when against Rodgers. However, the more I think about it, was it really a decline?

Aaron was injured against the Bears in the season opener in 2018, played through that injury the whole year.

2019 1st year in MLF's offense, could be a reason why he didn't perform to our or his standards. Also, I can see the concern that maybe it could be lingering effects of injuries taking a toll on Rodgers, and a decline in his play may continue.

2020 Packers decide to draft Love. Aaron mentions in an interview during the summer that he found something in his mechanics that was effecting his throws, corrected it. Also, 2nd year in MLF'S offense, and has an MVP season.

I understand the FO drafting Love. I understand Rodgers wanting more guarantee years. I think Rodgers, barring injury, has 2-3 really good years left. I also think Love can be the future, but he isn't ready yet. Hopefully the 2 sides can hash this out, and Aaron can stay in Green Bay moving forward. If not, it was a pretty good ride.

Just a question...why do you think Rodgers has only 2/3 good years left?

He's said he wants to play til 45, you've got other QBs who have played well into their 40's. Why would Rodgers stop being good at 40? Or did you mean 2-3 more MVP type years

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Just a question...why do you think Rodgers has only 2/3 good years left?

He's said he wants to play til 45, you've got other QBs who have played well into their 40's. Why would Rodgers stop being good at 40? Or did you mean 2-3 more MVP type years
After last year. I think he could have another MVP year, and years 2-3 slowly declining. He can say he wants to play until he's 45, but who knows what the future holds, or will bring. I would try to keep him for 3 more years, if that's what he wants.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My thing is this. Even if he does drop off a bit, how much better do you think others would be in comparison to him? While his abilities may take a dip, his IQ won't. Imo his IQ is second only to Brady and you see how well he's doing even though he has dipped a bit.

I haven't heard anything from the Packers side that makes me believe that they want to part ways with Aaron right now, actually just the opposite. If the Packers had their way, the contract that they and Rodgers signed, would be honored and this would all go away. Obviously, something changed and it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what that something is. The Packers wisely put themselves into the position they are in right now by paying him a ton of money up front and leaving them with an out on the backside. Aaron has a great year and suddenly feels that he deserves more job security and maybe even input into decision making. So those wanting to point to the Packers and say something to the effect of "they don't want him around anymore, how ungrateful". I would ask them if that is the truth or saying it just makes it easier to back the idea of giving Aaron what he wants, because they don't want to lose him?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
This is the real issue.... 2022. Look what team is #32

Attachments

• E04CgcDUYAUeoMi.jpeg
    E04CgcDUYAUeoMi.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 158

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is the real issue.... 2022. Look what team is #32

Yup and this has been known for quite awhile. While I don't think it is the only reason that the Rodgers thing hasn't been resolved, I think its a huge reason to be very careful in how they might structure a new deal with AR. It also shows just how "in" the Packers went this season. I get the complaining about not signing enough free agents, but with what is coming down the pike from Adams and Alexander and now maybe Rodgers, we are going to be in bigger cap hell than we were a few months ago and probably for a few years to come.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

A 4-year decline? No

Maybe decline is to harsh?
More like he wasnt himself. Missed open players, seemed to keyed up?

Maybe the real issue was he was tired of MM? those last 2 years and just didnt care as much?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how the Rodgers saga plays out and how that will effect Davante Adams. Like I said a few weeks ago, if Rodgers is gone, not so sure I would be in a hurry to resign Adams. If he says that he is gone too, I say trade him now while you can maximize the value that you get. Sounds harsh, but if he isn't coming back in 2022, 2021 is officially the start of rebuild and you might as well get some drafts picks for Davante, as well as get other WR's more playing time.

Imagine THAT trade...Rodgers + Davante.....for ??

Davante Adams: Aaron Rodgers' future "potentially" could affect my future - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no decline it's clear he's been Aaron Rodgers the whole time...what was the quote from him? Something like my down years are career years for other guys

So if he has a down year, it's not a down year because we need to compare it to someone else, not him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So if he has a down year, it's not a down year because we need to compare it to someone else, not him?

Agreed.

IF Rodgers is so confident that he has another 3-8 good years left in him, not sure why he feels like he needs guarantees? If he is still playing great football in 2-3 years and the Packers decide to part ways with him or he decides not to resign, won't he be able to keep playing? If he is not playing good football, why should the Packers be handcuffed to him? Will he guarantee that he will be playing at a high level equal to his pay and if not, the Packers can do what is best for the team? Seems like a contract with few guarantees but plenty of incentives is in order.

Reminds me of a nervous bride who wants to do the marriage ceremony all over again, just to be sure she is loved.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Rodgers desire to get out of Green Bay has been building slowly over the last several years and finally hit its peak after the NFCCG. Maybe started years ago with being upset about talk of his on the field demeanor with teammates. Continued with more talk about he and MM's relationship, players he was close to not being resigned. Then talk of him and MLF at odds, not giving him fresh weapons on offense, problems with Gute, drafting of Love, one of you guys telling him that had it not been for drafting Love, they would have won a Super Bowl. :coffee:

Maybe there is too much damage that can't be undone and Rodgers really doesn't want to play in GB anymore? Was he told or maybe he thought that 2020 was his last season and now he is trying to figure out a way to gracefully leave, without looking like the bad guy?

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything from the Packers side that makes me believe that they want to part ways with Aaron right now, actually just the opposite. If the Packers had their way, the contract that they and Rodgers signed, would be honored and this would all go away. Obviously, something changed and it really doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what that something is. The Packers wisely put themselves into the position they are in right now by paying him a ton of money up front and leaving them with an out on the backside. Aaron has a great year and suddenly feels that he deserves more job security and maybe even input into decision making. So those wanting to point to the Packers and say something to the effect of "they don't want him around anymore, how ungrateful". I would ask them if that is the truth or saying it just makes it easier to back the idea of giving Aaron what he wants, because they don't want to lose him?
You can sling around all of the "Rodgers is under contract" rhetoric all you want. Yes, the Packers left themselves with an out, and Rodgers knows that. So he's trying to work himself into potentially not being a lame duck quarterback after this season. We've seen in the past that it's not always as black and white as "if you play well enough, you earn another year". Very, very few quarterbacks finish with the team they played their whole career with.

Renegotiating contracts prior to them running out is a practice that has always existed in modern sports. It just so happens that this particular riff got out into the open and Rodgers has always been a talking point for media types.

I still think the Packers would have a very different way of thinking if they had liked what they saw from Jordan Love throughout his rookie season. They are worried shitless that Love is going to bust, and all of a sudden you have an MVP quarterback that, according to some reports, the team is willing to re-commit to.

But go ahead and get off of Rodgers and Adams and see how you like potentially drafting quarterbacks for the next decade and averaging 7 wins a year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like another significant extension was offered to Rodgers, multiple sources with Ian Rappaport are citing such even in just the last hour.

Not anything shocking, but IF true this at least means dialogue is occurring and it would seem the 2nd of three options I've laid out before could be set to unfold - extend Rodgers and move Love this season or after.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sounds like another significant extension was offered to Rodgers, multiple sources with Ian Rappaport are citing such even in just the last hour.

Not anything shocking, but IF true this at least means dialogue is occurring and it would seem the 2nd of three options I've laid out before could be set to unfold - extend Rodgers and move Love this season or after.
More years of Aaron Rodgers. Oh the horror.

Reaction score
Yup and this has been known for quite awhile. While I don't think it is the only reason that the Rodgers thing hasn't been resolved, I think its a huge reason to be very careful in how they might structure a new deal with AR. It also shows just how "in" the Packers went this season. I get the complaining about not signing enough free agents, but with what is coming down the pike from Adams and Alexander and now maybe Rodgers, we are going to be in bigger cap hell than we were a few months ago and probably for a few years to come.

How do you think we will be after this season and after the Rodger's era. I am not sure myself. I think we are drafting well, I also like MLF as a coach and his scheme, but we are going to run into cap problems after this year. I don't really follow contracts closely enough to know how long we keep the core of the team together. We also really need a good #2 wide receiver, and several more receivers if we are not able to resign Adams. Finally, while I don't buy the narrative that our roster is Rodgers and no one else, I do think that we are the type of team that needs a decent QB who is a good passer at the very least, and unless we are able to get a star QB after Rodgers(whether through a trade or Love being that good), I think we also need another big-time playmaker on offense to be a super bowl contender.

Improving the defense would be nice as well. It's not a horrible defense, but there are some areas of improvement.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How do you think we will be after this season and after the Rodger's era.

Without quoting your whole post, I would say that the Packers will be better with Rodgers, than without. For how long? A lot of that will depend on how Love or his replacement plays. While I think the MLF offense can be good without a top notch QB, I think Rodgers has made a pretty weak receiving group look much better than they actually are (Adams aside).

Now the question will be, if Gute is blamed for Rodgers leaving, how long will he be around? I think MLF would have to leave on his own or have 3 or 4 back to back losing seasons, while being given decent talent to work with, before he was shown the door.

Rodgers jumping off point is as soon as today or as far away as when he retires. Whenever that day comes, I don't think the Packers will be the same for several years. I also think holding on to him too long, if the economics of doing so don't work out and/or there is too much tension, isn't the smartest plan either.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post in a long time. I hope Rogers and the Packers can work this out and he stays around. I don’t like hearing that if Rogers leaves, Adams may follow. This is getting to sound a little too much like the NBA.
Mt gut feeling………Rogers will be at the helm again in Sept.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You can sling around all of the "Rodgers is under contract" rhetoric all you want. Yes, the Packers left themselves with an out, and Rodgers knows that. So he's trying to work himself into potentially not being a lame duck quarterback after this season.

What do we actually know for a fact? Stating that Rodgers is under contract is a fact, I'm not slinging anything. Stating the fact that Rodgers was given a lot of guarantees up front and the Packers exchanged that for them having flexibility on the backend of an aging players contract might bother you, but its fact. Why is that hard to understand? Rodgers might not like it, but he signed the contract. So those are the facts as we know it thus far. The rest is "he said, she said, we think...."

I get it, it sounds like the Packers are now being flexible and are willing to renegotiate the terms, but you and some others seem to be implying that Rodgers is somehow the victim here and the Packers are not being fair to him. How do we know this? Maybe Rodgers doesn't want to come back? Maybe the Packers only want him back on their specific terms? I don't who is being fair or reasonable. Maybe both sides are and its just a matter of days.

I think the majority of us would be fine with Rodgers playing in Green and Gold this year. There just seems to be a difference of opinion over how the 2 sides got to this, what it might take to get it back to "normal", as well as what would be acceptable to the team, Rodgers, as well as our individual minds.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GBgary....

and the rest of the NFC North

Well, he's critical of Rodgers at times yes, but at least he'll usually listen to reason when you give it to him

I think the people who been dead set on cheering Rodgers out of here are in a quite small minority but just seem to have louder voices on here. The way they keep using Favre as a foil tells me they just been bitter all these years since he left - for whatever strange reason - and somehow think Rodgers being shipped out is some form of poetic justice, or some other demented sadistic thing they want.

Members online

No members online now.