Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Would it make a difference though? If nobody believed him when he said he was shocked the media ran with this, why would they believe him if he denied stuff like calling Gute Mr Krause? Which he hasn't denied, but being hypothetical here I mean.
A lot of us never made judgment on that statement.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had a long, long way to go when he was drafted in 2005. Favre also had a long way to go when Wolf traded for him.

Well, maybe the Packers didn't hope that Favre would be pressed into action when Majik man went down, but I have to think they certainly gave him a high enough vote of confidence that way in case that did happen.

With Favre constantly talking retirement and playing bad, I do think the Packers were willing to make Rodgers the starter within a year of his drafting if need be. We got kinda lucky Favre stuck around long enough to give him time to get it, and that he was able to get it period.

But most GMs these days aren't drafting guys to be apprentice QBs for very long or without pretty high confidence that they'll be able to step in and lead the team pretty quickly.

Reaction score
I get it. We wanted our cake and to eat it too.
Speaking of Favre and Rodgers. It took 3-4 seasons of combined backup and regular seasons for both of those guys to get good production. I don’t think it’s improbable Love doesn’t take that long.

Love has a 5th year option. We could conceivably extend Rodgers contract to move his “contract out” in 2024 and that gives him a shorter but mostly guaranteed offer. GB still can take a 5th year option with Love and use that to start him in 2024. It would give Rodgers a comfortable 3 seasons of commitment guaranteed (vs a fairytale term) That’s a competitive offer for a QB who likely at best gets a 5 year offer with a hard out in year 4 and soft contract out in year 5 elsewhere. Nobodies going to fully guarantee Rodgers for 5 seasons he’d be 42 years old before his contract is fulfilled, which is super risky for a multitude of reasons.

That said. I’d like to see an addendum “hush hush”disclosure concerning internal affairs unless Its run by the FO first. He’d absolutely positively have to work with us on however we want to pay him out within reason
As an olive branch, we could agree to include him in for input on the fit of O drafted players (or trades) for the next 2 seasons, the guys smart as hell it won’t hurt to get his input.

It’s a riskier deal, but it could be a happy medium and keep both QB’s in succession. In that scenario , we’d technically have Rodgers under contract in year 4 with a very soft out. We could take the option to trade him at that point for whatever we could get for 1 years services.

that said he’s probably texting Denver while I’m writing this ;)

Last edited:

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all call our bosses names..human nature. That doesn't mean that he hates gutey or will cause him any harm. He is right about them never going all in for him.
If our gm, coach and president of football operations all have to make several trips to see him, then you know there is some truth to this story. How much we will never know.
Rodgers has not addressed any of this, which means there is something up.

He should have stuck with that cutey Danica, as she seemed to let him do his thing.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shefter isn't saying his report was false. He's saying he didn't get the info on draft day. I.e., Shefter decided the timing of the report--not Rodgers or the Packers.

This takes Rodgers off the hook when it was believed he was trying to hijack the draft and force the Packers to trade him right away. But it doesn't change the fact that Rodgers does not want to play for the Packers ever again.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it. We wanted our cake and to eat it too.
Speaking of Favre and Rodgers. It took 3-4 seasons of combined backup and regular seasons for both of those guys to get good production. I don’t think it’s improbable Love doesn’t take that long.

Love has a 5th year option. We could conceivably extend Rodgers contract to move his “contract out” in 2024 and that gives him a shorter but mostly guaranteed offer. GB still can take a 5th year option with Love and use that to start him in 2024. It would give Rodgers a comfortable 3 seasons of commitment guaranteed (vs a fairytale term) That’s a competitive offer for a QB who likely at best gets a 5 year offer with a hard out in year 4 and soft contract out in year 5 elsewhere. Nobodies going to fully guarantee Rodgers for 5 seasons he’d be 42 years old before his contract is fulfilled, which is super risky for a multitude of reasons.

That said. I’d like to see an addendum “hush hush”disclosure concerning internal affairs unless Its run by the FO first. He’d absolutely positively have to work with us on however we want to pay him out within reason
As an olive branch, we could agree to include him in for input on the fit of O drafted players (or trades) for the next 2 seasons, the guys smart as hell it won’t hurt to get his input.

It’s a riskier deal, but it could be a happy medium and keep both QB’s in succession. In that scenario , we’d technically have Rodgers under contract in year 4 with a very soft out. We could take the option to trade him at that point for whatever we could get for 1 years services.

that said he’s probably texting Denver while I’m writing this ;)

That would be something similar to what I would want too, and something I would think Rodgers is looking for too assuming he is still looking for the right offer to stay in Green Bay. Main thing is so far we've only heard the FO talk about a pay raise but nothing about getting something like this in place.

Guess the only other question is whether or not Love would mind potentially waiting on the bench that long.

Reaction score
That would be something similar to what I would want too, and something I would think Rodgers is looking for too assuming he is still looking for the right offer to stay in Green Bay. Main thing is so far we've only heard the FO talk about a pay raise but nothing about getting something like this in place.

Guess the only other question is whether or not Love would mind potentially waiting on the bench that long.
It’s all hypothetical. Not sure if bridges have been burned already.
But Rodgers waited 3 seasons behind a HOF QB, At most Love would have 3 more to wait. The argument could be made that the Covid season was basically redshirted anyways.

We also didn’t factor that Rodgers goes down with an injury and Love gets play time or when we’re way ahead in the 4th quarter or way behind etc.. plus the last game of the season could be an opportunity. Also, it’s very possible Love would get his Rookie contract $ either way. He doesn’t have to worry about getting physically abused in the meantime. It’s really not a bad gig from his side. I also like having him as our backup theres + value there.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But most GMs these days aren't drafting guys to be apprentice QBs for very long or without pretty high confidence that they'll be able to step in and lead the team pretty quickly.

Right and some GM's just keep drafting and drafting them, hoping they will finally hit. There is absolutely no set formula for how to find your next franchise QB. If you think there is, you are wrong and the history of the NFL proves it. So people like yourself that just don't understand the Love pick, will blame the GM if it doesn't work out. Or even blame the GM, before anything is given a chance to work out. If it does work out, I am guessing you give the player most of the credit?

I also think those who hated the Love pick viewed it in only one dimension, he is replacing Rodgers and its going to be way too soon! There was no guarantee of this the moment they picked Love and still none as of today. Getting all worked up over a contingency plan though, that seems like the thing to do from day 1 and building up to today.

Had Rodgers suffered a career ending or slowing down injury or he demanded a trade, some might be wondering why Gute didn't have a contingency plan in place.

The Packers drafted Love over a year ago now, he hasn't played a snap in the NFL, our FHOF QB just had an MVP season, he has a decent sized chunk of bonus/prepaid money and salary still to earn over the next 3 years, make the Packers have no choice but to keep you though your on the field work, not your off the field mind games and insecurities.

Reaction score
Does anyone know where Schefter lives?

I’ve ended up with a growing accumulation of a few extra cases of cheap, Sam’s club toilet paper that I’ll never use.
I found another creative way of wiping in an emergency. I’d like to offer a donation to him.. at night.. in the waning moonlight hours :tup:

PS. I could use some volunteers. Give me a “creative” here if you’re secretly a vandal.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know where Schefter lives?

I’ve ended up with a growing accumulation of a few extra cases of cheap, Sam’s club toilet paper that I’ll never use.
I found another creative way of wiping in an emergency. I’d like to offer a donation to him.. at night.. in the waning moonlight hours :tup:

PS. I could use some volunteers. Give me a “creative” here if you’re secretly a vandal.

Theory I heard and makes sense to me. 49ers pushed schefter to leak that story in an attempt to induce the Packers into a trade. It's quite clear the Packers nor Rodgers wanted this rift to go public

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right and some GM's just keep drafting and drafting them, hoping they will finally hit. There is absolutely no set formula for how to find your next franchise QB. If you think there is, you are wrong and the history of the NFL proves it. So people like yourself that just don't understand the Love pick, will blame the GM if it doesn't work out. Or even blame the GM, before anything is given a chance to work out. If it does work out, I am guessing you give the player most of the credit?

I also think those who hated the Love pick viewed it in only one dimension, he is replacing Rodgers and its going to be way too soon! There was no guarantee of this the moment they picked Love and still none as of today. Getting all worked up over a contingency plan though, that seems like the thing to do from day 1 and building up to today.

Had Rodgers suffered a career ending or slowing down injury or he demanded a trade, some might be wondering why Gute didn't have a contingency plan in place.

The Packers drafted Love over a year ago now, he hasn't played a snap in the NFL, our FHOF QB just had an MVP season, he has a decent sized chunk of bonus/prepaid money and salary still to earn over the next 3 years, make the Packers have no choice but to keep you though your on the field work, not your off the field mind games and insecurities.

1. No, not quite. If Love succeeds I'm certainly all for crediting Gute for it. I mean I credit Thompson for Rodgers and even McCarthy for his development despite all the haterade thrown at those 2.

I never meant to imply there was a set formula for drafting a future QB. Just that most GMs aren't saying they got a long way to go.

2. While I agree we do view such things in 1D, the 1D I was viewing it in was, wtf are we doing drafting 3 guys in the first 3 rounds who aren't going to take us from our current state of simply making that NFC Championship game and win that SB? You can plan for future by going beyond just immediate needs, but Gute almost seemed to take that to an extreme where he almost neglected the immediate needs at CB, ILB, WR, and OT just to be future focused.

I mean, I feel like some of the same people who are defending the 2020 drafting strategy right now are the same ones who were dumping on Ted Thompson for the drafts following the 2014 and 2016 nfccgs. Why should Gute get different treatment?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well... thank you Poker! It looks like it’s just you and I and... Turtle
:ninja::ninja::ninja: I've assembled the TP and eggs. Also, my usual compliment of fresh dog poop filled paper bags, ready to set on fire, leave on front porch as you ring the doorbell and run!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
1. No, not quite. If Love succeeds I'm certainly all for crediting Gute for it. I mean I credit Thompson for Rodgers and even McCarthy for his development despite all the haterade thrown at those 2.

I never meant to imply there was a set formula for drafting a future QB. Just that most GMs aren't saying they got a long way to go.

2. While I agree we do view such things in 1D, the 1D I was viewing it in was, wtf are we doing drafting 3 guys in the first 3 rounds who aren't going to take us from our current state of simply making that NFC Championship game and win that SB? You can plan for future by going beyond just immediate needs, but Gute almost seemed to take that to an extreme where he almost neglected the immediate needs at CB, ILB, WR, and OT just to be future focused.

I mean, I feel like some of the same people who are defending the 2020 drafting strategy right now are the same ones who were dumping on Ted Thompson for the drafts following the 2014 and 2016 nfccgs. Why should Gute get different treatment?

Trust me, I was in the same camp as you about the Love pick and last years other seemingly luxury picks. Yet, the Packers were a play or 2 away from the SB, while potentially being able to build some needed depth. So, in hindsight, the picks weren't as bad as I originally thought.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trust me, I was in the same camp as you about the Love pick and last years other seemingly luxury picks. Yet, the Packers were a play or 2 away from the SB, while potentially being able to build some needed depth. So, in hindsight, the picks weren't as bad as I originally thought.

Yes a few plays that might have been made had we had a CB who was healthy and didn't get beat by Mike Evans or Scotty Miller on those TDs, or an offensive tackle who wasn't whiffing on trying to block JPP or Barrett. That's two positions that could have been filled if Gute had done his job right.

Like I said, change his name to Ted Thompson and we would never hear the end of it here.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it's not a non-story if GB doesn't want to give him the guaranteed money that locks in their commitment. Because supposedly Aaron is saying if that's the case, trade him or he'll retire. Reportedly, he has already turned down an extension because he wants the guaranteed money that guarantees their commitment to him.

My gut says this gets worked out. At least right now it does. But June 1st is fast approaching.

In other words, he's so pissed about Love that he wants a contract that almost guarantees Love will never play in Green Bay. I would never sign an old QB more than 2 years at a time, especially one that ****** away his chances in conference championship games.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has 5+ years left, and had 7+ years left when we drafted love..... no excuse for that.

That's just ********. He'll be 38 years old half way through the next season. He MIGHT have 5 years left. He MIGHT have 1 or 2. Quarterbacks tend to burn out quick and prior to last season he was clearly declining for several seasons. He had wide open targets all over the field last year to throw to. At his age, one major injury and he's likely done. I'm not going to forget the AR we had from 2016-2019 just because of one MVP. The Packers shouldn't either.

And don't forget how he choked in the NFCC either. When you yell at your defensive captain to "Get the ball back!" and then you proceed to go three-and-out multiple times and then ***** out on running for a TD only to throw the ball in the grass, you better look in the damn mirror.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I basically have always said that all “NFL insiders” are nothing more than glorified gossip columnists even if they get it right sometimes. The only thing they care about are ratings, views, clicks and retweets, factual information and quotes from the actual parties involved be damned.
It's that way in both sports and world news. A lot of opinions vs. facts and little or no accountability. Schefter broke that news and said sources.... and it was him, what a ****waffle.

Reaction score
:ninja::ninja::ninja: I've assembled the TP and eggs. Also, my usual compliment of fresh dog poop filled paper bags, ready to set on fire, leave on front porch as you ring the doorbell and run!
Ok. This time let me know how much proper delay I need for the poop bag fuse. Last time Turtle inadvertently mixed the poop bag with the lighter fluid and they answered the door just as it formed a combustible cocktail and on exploded across the front of my clothes.
I don’t want Adam Shefter getting the last laugh again

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam Schefter was once a well informed journalist and became one of the worst clickbaiters. However, Packer Fans will have to wait and see. From my point of view, I want # 12 back on the team, like apparently everybody else. IF it ends the other way, well the Favre-Turmoil 2008 tought me one thing, when I suddenly asked myself "Am I Favre. or Packers-Fan ?" ... NO player, no matter how big he is, is bigger than the team. It is the Green Bay Packers, the only team, which is not a Billionaire's weekend hobby, an organization that has endured more than a century and accumulated the most national titles.

IF it ends worse as it seems now, well, then "Thanks for the time and the joy" to him and the train will have to leave the station again.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Seems like this thread has slowed down considerably since the information on Schefter breaking the news came out.