Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me with this whole situation is Love was a great value pick for the Packers, who notoriously draft at the end of Rd. 1 The Packers would have to mortgage the farm to move up for a QB, like the Bears have done twice in the past 5 yrs. Love, who could have been drafted in the top 15 or 20 ( maybe a top 5 pick this year if he would have stayed at Utah St), slid down the board. We had no decent proven backup QB... unless you consider kneeling down at the end of the game flawlessly like Boyle did the past 2 years a positive trait for a backup.

Flashback to April 2020, we were in a pandemic, no idea what or how long shutdowns would last at the time of the 2020 NFL Draft ( there was no MLB, NHL, or NBA being played ), the season at that time may have been in doubt (full contact sport, close proximity to others). It was a perfect year to take a chance, and how many times does a top QB make a fall like that? What if there wouldn't have been a season? What if Aaron, after a year off decides he is going to hang up his football cletes, and not come back. Maybe this crossed Gutey's mind. If there is a season, what if Aaron gets covid, or is quarantined? who will QB? This is a business, you need to draft to improve your team with starters and depth, giving your team a chance to compete and win, whether the team suffers from injuries or other unforeseen circumstances to your star players.

If, and I mean "IF" Aaron is butthurt over the team drafting a QB, looking to strengthen the QB room, and wants the GM fired because of it, he's a ******, because then it's about him, and not the team. You're supposed to be the GOAT, why would you feel threatened by the drafting of Love? We had 9 picks yesterday to strengthen the team and/or create competition to bring out the best in other players, and this is the goal of every team, every year. Did drafting Love light a fire under Aaron's a** last year, which helped him win the MVP, maybe.... I tend to believe yes, especially after a couple pedestrian seasons when compared to standards we expect from Rodgers. If Rodgers rift is culminated with not letting him go for it on 4th down in the NFCCG when you're the MVP, (even though, Aaron had 3 straight incomplete passes prior to the decision to go for the FG) I get it. However, that is on the coach, I'm sure Gute didn't call down to MLF and tell him to kick the FG

Would or should've the FO let him know about wanting or contemplating to draft Love? I think it would have been the right thing to do, since he's the face of the franchise, and that is something that could have been handled better. But if Rodgers is just trying to have the GM fired over drafting someone, shame on him. If Gute did something morally wrong, fine.., said something inappropriate, or was banging Danica on the side at the time of the pick, fine... now that would be a reason to hold a grudge, and be grounds for maybe firing someone. TJ Lang was on Twitter last night after Gute's press conference, and tweeted this in response to Ryan Wood who gave cudos to Gute for answering every question, even candidly at times and showing lots of poise.

"100%. Feel bad for Gutey. Differences aside, he's doing the job he was hired to do."

With TJ being a friend of Rodgers and basically showing some support for Gute on the matter, I think speaks volumes.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me with this whole situation is Love was a great value pick for the Packers, who notoriously draft at the end of Rd. 1 The Packers would have to mortgage the farm to move up for a QB, like the Bears have done twice in the past 5 yrs. Love, who could have been drafted in the top 15 or 20 ( maybe a top 5 pick this year if he would have stayed at Utah St), slid down the board. We had no decent proven backup QB... unless you consider kneeling down at the end of the game flawlessly like Boyle did the past 2 years a positive trait for a backup.

Flashback to April 2020, we were in a pandemic, no idea what or how long shutdowns would last at the time of the 2020 NFL Draft ( there was no MLB, NHL, or NBA being played ), the season at that time may have been in doubt (full contact sport, close proximity to others). It was a perfect year to take a chance, and how many times does a top QB make a fall like that? What if there wouldn't have been a season? What if Aaron, after a year off decides he is going to hang up his football cletes, and not come back. Maybe this crossed Gutey's mind. If there is a season, what if Aaron gets covid, or is quarantined? who will QB? This is a business, you need to draft to improve your team with starters and depth, giving your team a chance to compete and win, whether the team suffers from injuries or other unforeseen circumstances to your star players.

If, and I mean "IF" Aaron is butthurt over the team drafting a QB, looking to strengthen the QB room, and wants the GM fired because of it, he's a ******, because then it's about him, and not the team. You're supposed to be the GOAT, why would you feel threatened by the drafting of Love? We had 9 picks yesterday to strengthen the team and/or create competition to bring out the best in other players, and this is the goal of every team, every year. Did drafting Love light a fire under Aaron's a** last year, which helped him win the MVP, maybe.... I tend to believe yes, especially after a couple pedestrian seasons when compared to standards we expect from Rodgers. If Rodgers rift is culminated with not letting him go for it on 4th down in the NFCCG when you're the MVP, (even though, Aaron had 3 straight incomplete passes prior to the decision to go for the FG) I get it. However, that is on the coach, I'm sure Gute didn't call down to MLF and tell him to kick the FG

Would or should've the FO let him know about wanting or contemplating to draft Love? I think it would have been the right thing to do, since he's the face of the franchise, and that is something that could have been handled better. But if Rodgers is just trying to have the GM fired over drafting someone, shame on him. If Gute did something morally wrong, fine.., said something inappropriate, or was banging Danica on the side at the time of the pick, fine... now that would be a reason to hold a grudge, and be grounds for maybe firing someone. TJ Lang was on Twitter last night after Gute's press conference, and tweeted this in response to Ryan Wood who gave cudos to Gute for answering every question, even candidly at times and showing lots of poise.

"100%. Feel bad for Gutey. Differences aside, he's doing the job he was hired to do."

With TJ being a friend of Rodgers and basically showing some support for Gute on the matter, I think speaks volumes.

Tj was with Nagler on cheesehead tv.

He said he believes aaron will play and this was just the fo wake up call

Karen_Rodgers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, the Packers should just be super petty and be like "play for us or retire". Packers just won't be able to get fair compensation.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

I think we all hope that he does, because this team being led on the field by Rodgers, is 100% better than it is without him. It's just unfortunate that this is happening. I feel for Jordan Love, it's not his fault we drafted him, yet his being drafted caused this drama, along w/ hate by so many fans toward him because of it (sound familiar) :whistling: ahem, (Rodgers/Favre) I just hope he can continue to make it through this, stay focused on his career, and be the best teammate he can, until he gets his chance.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I really wonder what Rodger’s teammates think about this situation. Every year the Packers are trying to draft their replacements/backups too. Even if Rodgers comes back (Demovsky thinks less than 5% chance), does all this weirdness affect team morale and cohesiveness?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I really wonder what Rodger’s teammates think about this situation. Every year the Packers are trying to draft their replacements/backups too. Even if Rodgers comes back (Demovsky thinks less than 5% chance), does all this weirdness affect team morale and cohesiveness?
Baktiarhi just signed...would he have signed knowing there was a huge issue?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I'm sure we will hear from Greg Jennings and his sister soon.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's hilarious how some of the same people who call the media fake are believing everything negative about Rodgers right now because it fits what they want to believe.

I'm still trying to understand how anyone has enough information to really determine who is in the wrong here.

All I know for certain is this:

The Packers took Jordan Love. They had an eye on the future. Rodgers responded like a champion is supposed to respond to a situation like that. And now there's turmoil.

Could Rodgers finally be sticking it to the front office for picking Love and wanting to move off of him? Sure. Do I think it's even halfway plausible that Gute and company (or just Gute) is dug in on wanting to move on from Rodgers because he drafted *his* guy last year and Rodgers did what he didn't think he could do? Or is it even possible that someone within the Packers have leaked information to smear Rodgers so that they can have justification to move off of him? Especially when his stock is as high as it will ever be?

Honestly at this point, none of us know a damned thing. We can only speculate. And of course we will all have opinions on what we think is going on, but this whole butthurt crap of turning on the star quarterback based on reported stories, when he just got done winning the MVP is humorous to me.

It could turn out to be that Rodgers is the driving force behind every bit of it and that the Packers are innocent puppies, but right now, I'm not sure how anyone can say anything with absoluteness.
Well written. Lot of people are lining up according to the biases right now. We’ve heard from Gutekunst and LaFleur. We just haven’t heard from Rodgers yet. I’m worried about how the other 89 players feel about this. It would be good for guys like Bakhtiari and Z. Smith to be talking to their teammates about keeping the locker room intact regardless of how it plays out. The Green Bay Packers will field a team in September no matter who plays QB.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score

Especially when numerous players restructured their deals to keep the team together for another year. Marcedes Lewis signed for 2 more years, and he's one of Aaron's best friends on the team.... it's a head scratcher for sure, and the elephant in the room can do damage.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Welcome back

Isnt this like bretts board back then?

kind of...:sneaky: I was just looking to see who I remember. It's been a looong time since I posted on the forum, But I've been on the shoutbox at least once a season. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well written. Lot of people are lining up according to the biases right now. We’ve heard from Gutekunst and LaFleur. We just haven’t heard from Rodgers yet. I’m worried about how the other 89 players feel about this. It would be good for guys like Bakhtiari and Z. Smith to be talking to their teammates about keeping the locker room intact regardless of how it plays out. The Green Bay Packers will field a team in September no matter who plays QB.

Like always, Aaron Rodgers likes to be in control, which is probably why he hasn't said much. He had a shot with Mike Tirico yesterday to do so and he didn't. No matter what happens, I will always view Rodgers as a man that likes to play mind games with people.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Welcome back, I didn't recognize you sober. ;)
lol funny! That reminds me of Robdogs' tagline when I first joined something like "If I drank so much last night why am I so thirsty" or something like that!:x3: Is he still on here?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or is it even possible that someone within the Packers have leaked information to smear Rodgers so that they can have justification to move off of him? Especially when his stock is as high as it will ever be?

No way that's true. If the Packers wanted to move him they would have done it weeks ago when there was still time to include 2021 draft picks and before 5 teams took a QB in the first round of the draft.

Right now Rodgers' value is at a low from a timing standpoint. 2021 draft is over, many QB positions are now filled, and teams may be thinking the Packers HAVE to trade Rodgers based on these reports which will lead to low ball trade offers.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like always, Aaron Rodgers likes to be in control, which is probably why he hasn't said much. He had a shot with Mike Tirico yesterday to do so and he didn't. No matter what happens, I will always view Rodgers as a man that likes to play mind games with people.

I think Rodgers has said a lot. He just hasn't had it look like it came out of his mouth. There's no way all of those reports were put out without Rodgers' go ahead. Most were probably done by his agent (especially the initial report from Adam Shefter).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Rodgers has said a lot. He just hasn't had it look like it came out of his mouth. There's no way all of those reports were put out without Rodgers' go ahead. Most were probably done by his agent (especially the initial report from Adam Shefter).

That is the exact problem here though, he isn't the one saying these things directly, nor is his agent stepping up to a mic and saying them. Thus, we don't know what is true or false. IF Rodgers is using Pat McAffey and other media friends to do his bidding, then that to me is just another strike against the man. If he is allowing false rumors to fester, again, he created the blank white board to allow them. The Packer organization has given their statement, grow a pair Aaron, you claim to love your fans, the City and the organization, man up and tell them your side of things, they at least deserve that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the original point was that Rodgers could make almost any team a non-losing team (8-8 or better). And he's managed to do that every season since his 2nd year in the league until now, with the exception of 2018. So Rodgers' passer rating in 2017 is actually immaterial due to winning games, but I'll bite.

Rodgers has been known to start off some of even his best seasons poorly (by his standards) but then he starts to ramp it up.

2017 is a perfect example of that. Sub-100 passer rating games in the first two, but then in week 3 against Cincy, had a rating above 100 and threw the winning throw in overtime to Geronimo to get into chip shot field goal range to win the game. Next week against the Bears, total demolition. 128 rating with 4 TD's. Next week against the Cowboys, had pedestrian yardage #'s due to the limited possessions in the game, and because Aaron Jones was running wild. But still, 3 TD's and the game winning TD to Davante in the corner of the end zone. 123 rating. QBR's all mid 70's or above.

Anyone with fair eyes that evaluate Rodgers' 2017 season could at least look at the numbers and understand that they were trending in the right direction with three excellent games leading up to the injury.

2018 was the outlier. And I'm not going to excuse Rodgers' play. For whatever reason, he just wasn't near as good as he has been in years past. I'm sure the knee injury played into that some, but not going to use that as an excuse for what was a pedestrian season by his standards.

Point is though, Rodgers could walk into a lot of situations and win more than 7 games.

For the record, I give LaFleur a ton of credit for Rodgers' resurgence. You won't ever see me try to argue otherwise. I've been saying it for a while, this return to high level winning is a product of two men. LaFleur and Rodgers. And the team as followed their lead.

Maybe there was more going on before I chimed in, but the original point that I engaged with was that Rodgers would make any team he joined a playoff team.

How about we set aside the missed season altogether? I'm just pointing out the reality that Rodgers was not producing like an elite quarterback for quite some time until the situation around him improved. Basically he was a 97 QB Rating guy for the bulk of five season's worth of games-- that's not a small sample size. And yet, the elite player was still in there, buried by a stale system and bad habits.

So the bottom line is that the situation around him matters. He's not transcending his circumstances in every instance. Would he improve a lot of teams? Absolutely. But he might also underwhelm depending on where he lands and what's around him and what they ask him to do.

And on top of all of this, he turns 38 this year. So he's moving in the direction of being less transcendent, not more.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score

My question to that is wake up call for what exactly? Does it all really boil down to a extension till hes 40 or so? I can understand why AR and FO have different opinions on that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My question to that is wake up call for what exactly? Does it all really boil down to a extension till hes 40 or so? I can understand why AR and FO have different opinions on that.
Id have to find the video

But I got impression that this was an on going thing..I have heard Tj has mentioned similar in the past about not getting help. In fact he said the locker room would talk about lack of weapons ...Even joke to stop using wr as a rb ( aka Ty montgomery)

So I think its an on going issue and rodgers has been up stairs about it. And finally had enough of it... And tj comments were aaron was tired of it all.

Just my impression

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Id have to find the video

But I got impression that this was an on going thing..I have heard Tj has mentioned similar in the past about not getting help. In fact he said the locker room would talk about lack of weapons ...Even joke to stop using wr as a rb ( aka Ty montgomery)

So I think its an on going issue and rodgers has been up stairs about it. And finally had enough of it... And tj comments were aaron was tired of it all.

Just my impression

If it really is about weapons on offense then how did they lead the league in scoring. Sometimes its about how you use what you have and MLF knows how to run this offense. Drafting a first round WR probably would not have made a difference in that NFC Champ game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts