Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is disappointed in this being in the media, is it at all possible the packers leaked this to start with?

What good would that do?

Far more likely scenario is Rodgers felt blindsided last year on day 1 of the draft so he returned the favor.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Far fetched idea.

If Rodgers is disappointed in this being in the media, is it at all possible the packers leaked this to start with?
I thought about this, and if so, I would COMPLETELY change my stance on the conversation, as it would be a penny ante bullsh1t move that would do little to solve the issue other than get public opinion to turn on Aaron.

With that being said, the organization gains nothing by leaking this info, aaron (from his likely perspective at the time) gains everything he wants out of it.

Just so happens if he did leak it, it was a major miscalculation, as it didn't work. At bests, he can hope for a post June 1 trade, have to show up late to a team, play catch up, etc.

At worst, he retires, and is seen as an even LARGER diva than many non packers fans already saw him as. The difference now is he soured a LOT of his fans as well, in a matter of 72 hours.

Edit: jesus, it's only been 2 days and 8 hours since this leaked?!? It feels like way longer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...h-team-in-off-camera-talk-with-nbc-announcer/

Tirico said. “There is a fissure. There is a chasm between management and the reigning NFL MVP.”

The most important aspect of Tirico’s report is that Rodgers denied nothing. Tirico spoke with Rodgers, and Tirico used words like “fissure” and “chasm” to describe the situation. It’s the next best thing to Rodgers saying so himself.

Says at the end of the article he did an interview on camera but stuck to horses. He should know a lot about them seeing as how he is such a horses *** and all.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was listening to the national Fox Sports radio this afternoon. One of the hosts said Aaron Rodgers would be on the Mount Rushmore of passive aggressive athletes.

So true.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Later he added: "I can't fathom (him) not being in Green Bay. That's where my mind's at. I don't only love the player, but I love the person. I love working with him on a daily basis, I think we all do -- from the players in that locker room to the coaching staff. Again, I don't even want to let my mind go there."

LaFleur would not disclose details of his recent conversations with Rodgers.

"I'll always remain hopeful and optimistic and certainly we'll always welcome him back with open arms," LaFleur said. "He knows exactly how not only myself, but our staff and our players feel about him. Like I said before, I just can't imagine him not being in a Green Bay Packer uniform."

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Far fetched idea.

For what purpose, or to what end?

So you've never worked somewhere that has internal politics? I think it is plausible that someone in the organization leaked the information. Maybe Russ Ball is still pissed that Gutekunst got the GM job. Who didn't get a raise, a promotion, or was not recognized for their work and may have slipped information to a press contact? Then there are employees that just enjoy a good dumpster fire.

Last edited:

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Jennings held a grudge.

Huh.. where have I seen that movie before.

Reading comprehension is key. He was insecure about his own abilities on the field, and the joke only hurt because he knew he wasn't quite the same. If he was the Pro Bowl player that he used to be, he would have laughed that joke off.

Are you under the assumption that Rodgers has fell off to the same degree that Jennings did during that timeframe, or do I need to post his stats and trophies for this year?

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Far fetched idea.

If that were to happen the FO is playing with fire. If it were to leak that they did that to paint Rodgers in a bad light there will be hell to pay.

Reaction score
I had a dream last night. Drew Brees called and said he’d play in 2021 -1 yr/$10mil deal with an incentive

Payable by 2023 $5mil bonus for each playoff Win
Payable by 2023 additional $10mil SB Win bonus.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Far fetched idea.

I have wondered about this a great deal. I'm not entirely sure what the play is, but Rodgers has typically avoided talking to the media. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers refuses to publicly refute (assuming he wants to--I am trying my damnedest to remain neutral in this until something concrete happens/is revealed) these reports because of his active distaste of them on the whole.

Could Rodgers or his agent leaked this to put pressure on the FO? Sure.

Could the FO have leaked this to smear Rodgers? Sure.

Could someone else in FO want to stir up some **** because reasons and overstate actual disagreements? Sure.

To take a side in this mess is premature. At this point, the only confirmed information we have is that the FO and Rodgers are discussing contract details. And the sides are apart. Big whoop--NFL player and management disagree on the value of said player's contract (or any other contract detail.) In other news, water is wet, fire is hot.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have wondered about this a great deal. I'm not entirely sure what the play is, but Rodgers has typically avoided talking to the media. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers refuses to publicly refute (assuming he wants to--I am trying my damnedest to remain neutral in this until something concrete happens/is revealed) these reports because of his active distaste of them on the whole.

Could Rodgers or his agent leaked this to put pressure on the FO? Sure.

Could the FO have leaked this to smear Rodgers? Sure.

Could someone else in FO want to stir up some **** because reasons and overstate actual disagreements? Sure.

To take a side in this mess is premature. At this point, the only confirmed information we have is that the FO and Rodgers are discussing contract details. And the sides are apart. Big whoop--NFL player and management disagree on the value of said player's contract (or any other contract detail.) In other news, water is wet, fire is hot.

This is probably the most rational thought I have heard

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had a dream last night. Drew Brees called and said he’d play in 2021 -1 yr/$10mil deal with an incentive

Payable by 2023 $5mil bonus for each playoff Win
Payable by 2023 additional $10mil SB Win bonus.

We don't need a QB who can no longer throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/...odgers-green-bay-packers-trade-buzz-nfl-draft

I get it, I really do,” Rodgers told Brandt of the pick. “I don’t harbor any ill will about it. Was I bummed out? Of course. Who wouldn’t be? I wanted to play my entire career in Green Bay. I love the city. I grew up there, really. I got there when I was 21, I’m 36 now. You know, a lot changes during that time. But look, I get it.

So I guess Rodgers was lying about that.

And once an injured player makes two massive mistakes, it’s on the coach to pull him off the field. But the Packers didn’t have enough other options at cornerback to take King out.

Why did they bother signing Tramon before the game then??

Despite having one of the best red zone offenses in NFL history, head coach Matt LaFleur decided to kick a field goal to cut the deficit to five.

Totally understandable. MLF saw Rodgers come up short numerous times before in the game. First and goal inside the TB 10 in the first half, and 3 straight incompletions. First and 10 after a Jaire pick, and 2 incompletions and a measly 5 yard completion. First and 10 after another Jaire pick, and 3 straight incompletions. First and goal inside the TB 10 on the last drive, and 3 straight incompletions. Why let Rodgers throw a 4th straight incompletion?

When everyone and their mother wanted them to take a wideout in the 2020 draft, which had one of the deepest receiver classes in years

Wouldn't have helped them make the Super Bowl last year. Let's say we drafted Tee Higgins. Wouldn't have mattered if Rodgers still threw behind him just like he threw behind Lazard and was picked just before the end of the first half. Wouldn't have mattered if Rodgers still had tunnel vision for Adams just like he failed to find a wide open Lazard for a would-be TD.

Don’t get it confused: The problem is personal, not personnel.

Yeah, it's a personal problem alright.

Rodgers could live out his days in Los Angeles with his movie star fiancée—and maybe even host Jeopardy! at the palatial Sony Studios lot in Culver City. If Rodgers really never wants to play for Green Bay again, he has options.

This guy is probably getting divorced. After all, he proposed only a few months after meeting Shailene? And the Jeopardy folks would be stupid to hire such a drama queen.

Last edited:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading comprehension is key. He was insecure about his own abilities on the field, and the joke only hurt because he knew he wasn't quite the same. If he was the Pro Bowl player that he used to be, he would have laughed that joke off.

Are you under the assumption that Rodgers has fell off to the same degree that Jennings did during that timeframe, or do I need to post his stats and trophies for this year?

MLF made it easy for him.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me first start by saying that I do not think there are necessarily any truly right or wrong answers. No one here, or most anywhere, has enough knowledge of the goings on of the franchise to really draw firm conclusions.

I am personally off put by Rodgers' conduct. But, as a proud union man, I also do not approve of how the organization's management has conducted itself toward its employees and the culture of impunity in the front office. And I don't think management should have full reign to do whatever it wants and have employees stay silent.

There would seem to be four major players here: (1) Aaron Rodgers, (2) Brian Gutekunst, (3) Matt LaFleur, and (4) Mark Murphy.

It's hard to know how much personnel power LaFleur wields, but he is probably the only guy here who might be completely blameless. And he's obviously done a stellar job (although I personally disagree with him firing Pettine after the team had its best defensive year in a decade, but different topic).

My personal opinion that the most blameworthy persons in this whole mess continues to be Mark Murphy. This is the guy who let the team stagnate for years under McCarthy where it was clear that, at minimum, the offense was broken and, more likely, the culture of the team had grown rotten. Murphy failed to intervene at any point in this degeneration. Despite a decade straight of first round defenders, the team failed to field a single top 10 defense from 2011-2018, and yet Dom Capers was kept around the whole stretch.

This reputation for complacency-bordering-on-laziness would lead to the present situation: where he permitted a supremely arrogant and insulting move by his General Manager and then failed to plan for the best situation, where their top 5 quarterback returns to league-best status and demands the full-throated long-term commitment that he would get from almost any other team in the league.

Basically: I think Gute's draft move was arrogant. I also think his treatment of past players have been pretty ****** at times. And I think Rodgers' conduct this offseason has been petulant and disgraceful. But it's Gute's prerogative to be arrogant within his own best judgment. And it's Aaron's prerogative to be a demanding diva. It's Murphy's prerogative to handle the big picture and see this ******* train wreck coming before people are running around on fire.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You said

No one here, or most anywhere, has enough knowledge of the goings on of the franchise to really draw firm conclusions.

Than you blast Murphy

What did he do when he saw this happening 4 years ago? Do you know? Or just assume? Sure to blame him but tell everyone cant have a firm opinion

im 100 percent now, he knew something was there. I.E. Matt is hired, tells rodgers dont screw this up

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea that the Packers leaked this story is asinine. They want Rodgers to stay not go. How would this help them?

This story was put out by Rodgers (probably his agent) to drive a wedge between him and the Packers to force his way out.

This is Deshaun Watson 2.0 in how to force your way out of town.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The idea that the Packers leaked this story is asinine. They want Rodgers to stay not go. How would this help them?

This story was put out by Rodgers (probably his agent) to drive a wedge between him and the Packers to force his way out.

This is Deshaun Watson 2.0 in how to force your way out of town.

I think he was trying to get his way to San Francisco. But San Fran wanted to offload Jimmy G, who has a big contract himself. Money got in the way.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF made it easy for him.

Yeah you're right that's what a coach is SUPPOSED to do. I know a certain sect of the fanbase is unaware and thought MM is how you run your offense successfully in today's league but it's not