Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I can see some people’s point about keeping Rodgers from this FO angle>
You’re playing GM and you see Rodgers put back to back ordinary performances (2018-2019).
that are below our expectations and his pay grade. Plus his income is inflating, while his stats were deflating (until last season that is)
Now. Rodgers proved he’s in not decline. One could even argue that this MLF kid has brought out the best in him. For the same reason we would rock the boat by drafting Love, we could just admit that that decision was premature as you said. It was based on the facts at that time, but those facts weren’t an accurate representation either. So we picked in error, but not knowingly

What I really don't understand about the whole situation, if it is only Rodgers wringing his hands over job security, is that absolutely nothing has changed since he signed his contract but perceptions. Rodgers is still a great QB, he proved it last season. Rodgers is still viewed 1 million percent the Packers starter. Rodgers is still under contract, one that he personally agreed to and signed. His or anyone's perception that the Packers are suddenly going to replace him with Jordan Love, a guy who has taken zero snaps in the NFL, nor has he dressed for a game that I am aware of, is kind of nuts. So I keep asking myself, WTF has changed in Aaron's head?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see some people’s point about keeping Rodgers from this angle. You’re playing GM and you see Rodgers out back to back ordinary performances that are below our expectations and his pay grade. Plus his income is inflating, while his stats were deflating (until last season that is)
Now. Rodgers proved he’s in not decline. One could even argue that this MLF kid has brought out the best in him. For the same reason we would rock the boat by drafting Love, we could just admit that that decision was premature as you said. It was based on the facts at that time, but those facts weren’t an accurate representation either. So we picked in error, but not knowingly

I agree with you and I don't see a problem with changing direction if circumstances change but there are some who think such errors are unexcusable. GMs are not allowed to be wrong.

It wouldn't bother me at all if Gute reevaluated the situation and decided to give Rodgers the next three years. In fact that would be my preference. On the other hand if it doesn't work out and Rodgers is traded I'm fine with that as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It wouldn't bother me at all if Gute reevaluated the situation and decided to give Rodgers the next three years. In fact that would be my preference. On the other hand if it doesn't work out and Rodgers is traded I'm fine with that as well.

I think it will come down to just how far apart the Packers and Rodgers are on these "philosophical differences" that Aaron claims exists. Money differences and most contract terms can probably be negotiated to a happy compromise for both. However, it is one thing to say "my wife and I disagree on how much to spend on our Hawaiian vacation" VS "My wife thinks I'm a lying cheat, that drinks too much, steals and doesn't give a crap about her." I don't think that the latter scenario is going to be easily fixed and even if it is, can you return to what you once had?

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I really don't understand about the whole situation, if it is only Rodgers wringing his hands over job security, is that absolutely nothing has changed since he signed his contract but perceptions. Rodgers is still a great QB, he proved it last season. Rodgers is still viewed 1 million percent the Packers starter. Rodgers is still under contract, one that he personally agreed to and signed. His or anyone's perception that the Packers are suddenly going to replace him with Jordan Love, a guy who has taken zero snaps in the NFL, nor has he dressed for a game that I am aware of, is kind of nuts. So I keep asking myself, WTF has changed in Aaron's head?
He has obviously lost his head. He thinks he's the second coming of Art Fleming or Alex Trebek. He won't allow his girlfriend/fiance/wife to be prettier than he is, he speaks of how great everybody in Green Bay is so wonderful yet he wants out. Only explanation is he has lost his head.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When would you have drafted the qb? I asked you and I am waiting. Keep in mind Aaron sat for 3 years.
I'm not a GM, but if I was I would have had a conversation with Rodgers about how long he planned on playing, and go from there. I can't say exactly when I would draft his replacement, but I thought picking Love felt premature.

Honestly, I would be more concerned about equipping the HOF quarterback with the best team around him while he's here, and pick up the pieces later. Maybe we'll flounder for a few years and get some high draft picks, but at least I would have given it all while the window was open.

You’re playing GM and you see Rodgers put back to back ordinary performances (2018-2019).
that are below our expectations and his pay grade. Plus his income is inflating, while his stats were deflating (until last season that is)
Now. Rodgers proved he’s in not decline.y
Last year might have been a fluke. Fluke is probably not the right word, because Rodgers is damn good, even in his down years. But maybe his staying healthy last year was an outlier, and not an indication of things to come. That's why I say if they really think Love is the guy, Rodgers trade value is never going to be higher than it is right now.

Having said all that, my gut feeling is that Rodgers stays our quarterback. And I really think deep down, that is what he wants. He just wants some issues addressed and his ego massaged. Keeping him may even be a mistake, we'll just have to see what unfolds.

Reaction score
I agree with you and I don't see a problem with changing direction if circumstances change but there are some who think such errors are unexcusable. GMs are not allowed to be wrong.

I’m in agreement. I never wanted to kick Rodgers out either. Love was green coming in and they likely wanted 2-3 years grooming him.

In a strange way, it’s not so terrible that Rodgers won MVP. his trade value jumped nicely and he just showed he’s still at the top of his game. Even if he diminishes? one would think it would be gradual over 3-5 seasons based on that near perfect 2020 season.
It’s premature for Love but now we can either pick from MVP OR load up on a record # of draft capital. I know us fans were miffed at first, but in reality, this is s good problem and many teams would love to trade our problem with theirs.

PS. It’s even possible that we can still have a shot at transitioning to Love in 3 seasons or whatnot.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m in agreement. I never wanted to kick Rodgers out either. Love was green coming in and they likely wanted 2-3 years grooming him.

In a strange way, it’s not so terrible that Rodgers won MVP. his trade value jumped nicely and he just showed he’s still at the top of his game. Even if he diminishes? one would think it would be gradual over 3-5 seasons based on that near perfect 2020 season.
It’s premature for Love but now we can either pick from MVP OR load up on a record # of draft capital. I know us fans were miffed at first, but in reality, this is s good problem and many teams would love to trade our problem with theirs.

PS. It’s even possible that we can still have a shot at transitioning to Love in 3 seasons or whatnot.
I think with Rodgers continued decline in play and his attitude issues, they figured the Rodgers era was going to be ending sooner than they wanted. His rebound, (which I believe was because they drafted Love) took the team and everyone else by surprise. But it is all about his attitude. Will he play good next season for us? I think so but I do have some doubts. I think the best he will play is if we trade him and he wants to show the Packers they made a mistake. He plays for us he pouts and complains.

I love Mahomes on the field. The way he leads and rallies the team is remarkable. We need that leadership on our team and that isn't Rodgers. Hoping Love is that guy. I believe that is what we need to make the next step.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here is a really novel concept and thought.....Rodgers keeps playing at a high level for 3 or EVEN more years and gives the Packers no choice but to keep paying and playing him. The Packers say "thank you Jordan, we thought we might eventually need you, but Rodgers is fooking ageless and STILL our guy." The Packers then have several options with Jordan. Trade, keep until he is too expensive, cut if he is of no value or Rodgers retires and Jordan is our new #1.

Is that plan way too far fetched or off the wall to work? Oh wait, maybe that was the Packers plan all along? :coffee:

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he speaks of how great everybody in Green Bay is so wonderful yet he wants out. Only explanation is he has lost his head.
He didn't talk about how wonderful everyone was. He specifically left out the GM, and Murphy for that matter.

His or anyone's perception that the Packers are suddenly going to replace him with Jordan Love, a guy who has taken zero snaps in the NFL, nor has he dressed for a game that I am aware of, is kind of nuts. So I keep asking myself, WTF has changed in Aaron's head?
Good question. Looks like it comes down to Rodgers' infamous prickliness.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not a GM, but if I was I would have had a conversation with Rodgers about how long he planned on playing, and go from there. I can't say exactly when I would draft his replacement, but I thought picking Love felt premature.

Honestly, I would be more concerned about equipping the HOF quarterback with the best team around him while he's here, and pick up the pieces later. Maybe we'll flounder for a few years and get some high draft picks, but at least I would have given it all while the window was open.

Last year might have been a fluke. Fluke is probably not the right word, because Rodgers is damn good, even in his down years. But maybe his staying healthy last year was an outlier, and not an indication of things to come. That's why I say if they really think Love is the guy, Rodgers trade value is never going to be higher than it is right now.

Having said all that, my gut feeling is that Rodgers stays our quarterback. And I really think deep down, that is what he wants. He just wants some issues addressed and his ego massaged. Keeping him may even be a mistake, we'll just have to see what unfolds.

So your assuming rodgers and Gute never had that talk? But, rodgers since 2018 had said he line to play until he is 40..so Gute had to know.

But with the decline ( Yes yes yes...he was playing good, but not up to his standards) the Gm did what he thought was best

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This still all hinges on if Rodgers was told or assumed he was gone after 2021..

If it just in his mind then thats all on him

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i totally agree...something DID change...something WAS said directly to AR...if its the GM saying we will extend you only if you give us free reign or not is the issue that may be central here.

D

Deleted member 6794

A lot of teams would love to trade for Rodgers. The proof is in the pudding they didn't want Love to be their future starter though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of teams would love to trade for Rodgers. The proof is in the pudding they didn't want Love to be their future starter though.

Right, many of the same teams that didn't want Aaron Rodgers as their future starter back in 2005 when they all passed on him in the draft.

Kind of a silly statement to make isn't it?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude everyone knows this about Rodgers...he held the mccarthy grudge, he doesn't talk to his family, he told Favre he was gonna be better than him the first time they met....and he did it

So go all in, trade for julio jones. Restructure him, extend him and make a fckn move to win now. You can keep love still....
Yep. There's never been a better time to go all in than now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know there has been talk about trying to bring Julio Jones to Green Bay, seems like Seattle might be interested in Jones. I can imagine Russell Wilson would love to have Jones, DK and Lockett to throw to.

Seahawks engage Falcons about trade for Julio Jones | Yardbarker

I'm just left wondering how any GM worth his salt could let a star like Julio leave the team! :coffee:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. There's never been a better time to go all in than now.
Interesting point. If one believed in ever going all in, you're right, now would be the time to do it. The only problem is the cap. I think most of us would suffer a few losing seasons down the road if we could get another Lombardi. But that's all hypothetical.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers goes frees up cap room & we get some draft picks in return . That has to be good & bonus we get rid of someone who is turning into a distraction for the TEAM.

I saw Rodgers in his first season back in 2008. I was at the Colts game. Had a great time in green Bay & boy did I have fun. Not many could understand me due to my accent & dialect

I do remember talking to a veteran outside of Lambeau . he was awesome.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I saw Rodgers in his first season back in 2008. I was at the Colts game. Had a great time in green Bay & boy did I have fun. Not many could understand me due to my accent & dialect

Fun game, with 2 pick 6's by the defense, giving them 5 to that point in the year. I think they finished the season with 6 total pick 6's. Nick Collins (3) and Charles Woodson (2) were 2 guys that I loved watching patrolling that secondary.

In case you want to relive the whole game! ;)

2008 Colts @ Packers - YouTube

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well today starts a 7 day window I feel the trade, IF occurring, is going to. Post June 1st and Gute and Co. won’t want this thing to keep getting worse if zero end in sight.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well today starts a 7 day window I feel the trade, IF occurring, is going to. Post June 1st and Gute and Co. won’t want this thing to keep getting worse if zero end in sight.

I have Wednesday June 2nd circled on my calendar as "Black Wednesday" for many Packer fans.

If the FO has been told by Rodgers or his agent that its a "done deal" and #12 wont be playing in Green Bay ever again, a trade deal needs to get done ASAP. While I understand not wanting to cave to that kind of BS, its one thing to not backdown to make a point when we are talking a small loss in what a trade of a disgruntled player would bring VS what Rodgers would bring. I also think forcing Rodgers to retire wouldn't play out very well for the Packers, in the eyes of the media, fans or players.

While the Packers have said that they have no plans to trade Rodgers, this could very well be a 2 way ploy for them. First, sending a message to Rodgers camp that they aren't budging. Second, sending a message to interested trade teams, it is going to take a lot to get him from us, so make your offers too hard to resist.

I could be wrong, but I get the impression that the 2 sides aren't currently talking. Couple that with Rodgers last statement about a difference in philosophies between the 2 sides and it is hard to be optimistic about seeing Rodgers in Green and Gold again.

Here's the one reason the Packers would reportedly agree to trade Aaron Rodgers - CBSSports.com

Last edited: