The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recently saw a reference to a study that asked: Would you feel better about making $80k at your job if everyone else around you made $70k, or if you made $100k and everyone else made $110k. The results were in favor of the first.

Yeah, there have been a lot of studies proving that people are more interested in making more relative to others rather than just making more in an absolute sense. Envy is powerful force. I've seen other studies that show people will turn down free money if it means someone they dislike gets slightly more free money.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recently saw a reference to a study that asked: Would you feel better about making $80k at your job if everyone else around you made $70k, or if you made $100k and everyone else made $110k. The results were in favor of the first.
Supports my theory. Most people are superficial and stupid.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part you are missing is that the "South of $20M" was what the Packers started negotiations with BEFORE Davante's final season. So that was likely factoring in his final contract year. By the end of the season it was reported that they were at or above the Raiders offer.

Didn't miss that, in fact im 99% certain I mentioned or at the very least implied, the south of 20 m per offer was prior to the season. I know I said Adams told them he wouldn't be a problem and he'd play out the year etc.

Adams whole point was that intial offer was an insult. Yes, they did eventually raise their offer but that was only after the Raiders had already made their offer

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which "guys" are you referring to? The average Joe, thinking in that simple of context, $500K/year would be enough! You really think posters here don't understand football contracts and the money involved? :rolleyes:

Some here understand NFL contracts some don't. Some better than others obviously. That wasn't my point. My point was you're thinking of it from your perspective, not 17's

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This happens at work all the time...people are so worried about what others are making. I always ask if you feel like youre making enough or what you should be for your work/time. Then why worry about what the next person is making

Unfortunately these days 100k just aint what it used to be

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Some here understand NFL contracts some don't. Some better than others obviously. That wasn't my point. My point was you're thinking of it from your perspective, not 17's
Actually, while I can never really get into another persons head, I was trying to view it from Davante's point of view, if I wasn't, it would be kind of silly for me to comment on it, as if it was happening to me.

As I have said. According to Davante himself, that "South of $20M" offer came prior to his final season in GB, while he still had 1 year left on a $14.5M/year contract, with $30M in guarantees. Davante seems to be using that as his "I was offended moment". Yet, by the time the season was over, Davante was still healthy and productive, the Packers were ready to hammer out a new deal. By that time, I think Davante had already made up his mind to leave GB and it wasn't just about money. Especially given the fact that the Packers final offer was higher than the one he got in Vegas. Davante moved on and wanted to come out looking like the good guy who got insulted by his former team. I get his perspective, but I also get the Packers perspective and they were not "the bad guy", they were a business, looking out for themselves.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, while I can never really get into another persons head, I was trying to view it from Davante's point of view, if I wasn't, it would be kind of silly for me to comment on it, as if it was happening to me.

As I have said. According to Davante himself, that "South of $20M" offer came prior to his final season in GB, while he still had 1 year left on a $14.5M/year contract, with $30M in guarantees. Davante seems to be using that as his "I was offended moment". Yet, by the time the season was over, Davante was still healthy and productive, the Packers were ready to hammer out a new deal. By that time, I think Davante had already made up his mind to leave GB and it wasn't just about money. Especially given the fact that the Packers final offer was higher than the one he got in Vegas. Davante moved on and wanted to come out looking like the good guy who got insulted by his former team. I get his perspective, but I also get the Packers perspective and they were not "the bad guy", they were a business, looking out for themselves.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

Adams definitely decided prior to the season, it would be his last in GB. He said exactly that...

“Had they made the correct offer or submitted something like they did right before I left, then I would’ve 100% been there for another year (in 2022) and then we would obviously see what happened as it moved forward,” Adams said, via Adam Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal.

“So if they had paid you the year you wanted to be paid, you would still be in Green Bay?” host Brandon Marshall asked Adams.

“I would have been in Green Bay for sure,” Adams replied.

He also said it was true that the Packers offered him more $ than the Raiders but only as he was poised to leave

Thats funny just noticed they called him Adam Wilde...obviously it was Jason Wilde

I cant find the quote of him saying he told the packers before the season he'd be the same old Davantae but there's that one too which illustrates his unhappiness with that intial south of 20 m per offer

Last edited:

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Donald Driver passing off Charity Softball game over to Jordan Love and his new charity foundation.... The Hands of 10ve Foundation.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Isn't that exactly what I said?

Adams definitely decided prior to the season, it would be his last in GB. He said exactly that...

“Had they made the correct offer or submitted something like they did right before I left, then I would’ve 100% been there for another year (in 2022) and then we would obviously see what happened as it moved forward,” Adams said, via Adam Wilde of the Wisconsin State Journal.

“So if they had paid you the year you wanted to be paid, you would still be in Green Bay?” host Brandon Marshall asked Adams.

“I would have been in Green Bay for sure,” Adams replied.

He also said it was true that the Packers offered him more $ than the Raiders but only as he was poised to leave

Thats funny just noticed they called him Adam Wilde...obviously it was Jason Wilde

I cant find the quote of him saying he told the packers before the season he'd be the same old Davantae but there's that one too which illustrates his unhappiness with that intial south of 20 m per offer
I guess it boils down to his expectations and feelings not being met.

I am a firm believer, especially with these huge contracts, that a team is better off waiting until the end of the season to resign guys. David Bakhtiari is a good cautionary tale as to why. Davante can say anything he wants, but if the Packers initial, preseason offer offended him and made him leave, then so be it.

Maybe had he told the Packers before the season started "If we don't get a deal done, I'm done", things would have ended different, but I doubt he did, since the Packers kept negotiating after the season. I'd say he overreacted and is filling in details of his side of the story, to look like the victim, but that's just my perspective.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It always hurts to lose a great athlete like Adams, but it is what it is. If he hadn't left, there wouldn't have been room for the younger receivers to grow, so at least some good came out of it.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's only two jobs I had where I didn't leave for more money. The military, and police work. On every other job I had, if I was offered a decent raise above what I was making with an employer, I was out the door for the money. If you check it out, you'll find that a new employee at a company will often get paid more than an existing employee for the same job. If it's the fringe package that's most important, by all means, stick with the employer you're at, even though you might not feel appreciated.

But, if you think the money is more important, by all means, take the new job, because if you're good enough at what you do, you'll make more money as a mercenary than you will as a long term employee. The trick in this is to insure you negotiate good terms with the potential new employer when it comes to fringe benefits. Vacations? Take the time off between your quit, and starting the new job. That's when you recharge your batteries best. In my last career, in engineering, I spent most of those years as a hired gun, just like so many ITT people do today. I'd take on contract jobs with an end date, to do mainly government contracts associated with the military. The money was obscene, but so were the hours and the pressure. But, at the end of the contract, I'd banked enough money that I could enjoy as much time off as I wanted. I usually opted for a month or more, which worked out great, because my Wife and I were able to take month long vacations to places in Europe, or even throughout the US.

Reaction score

It’s also very possible that there’s a sliver of truth he thought it was a lower offer. However the questioning was about him leaving Love for Carr and imo this was a smoke screen for diluting why he really didn’t stay in GB. All other factors aside the meat on that plate was that Davante Adams 100% bet on Carr over Love.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It’s also very possible that there’s a sliver of truth he thought it was a lower offer. However the questioning was about him leaving Love for Carr and imo this was a smoke screen for diluting why he really didn’t stay in GB. All other factors aside the meat on that plate was that Davante Adams 100% bet on Carr over Love.
That's the take I got with that smoke filled interview room

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's the case I would love to play cards with Davante.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Goff got this deal: "The Lions have rewarded Goff with a contract extension worth $212 million over four years that includes $170 million guaranteed. It makes Goff, who will be 34 when the deal expires, the highest-paid player in franchise history. The $53 million average annual salary in Goff's new deal makes him the second highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, behind only the Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow ($55 million)."

Where is Love now contract wise? $170 million guaranteed. I can't even fathom that type of money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Goff got this deal: "The Lions have rewarded Goff with a contract extension worth $212 million over four years that includes $170 million guaranteed. It makes Goff, who will be 34 when the deal expires, the highest-paid player in franchise history. The $53 million average annual salary in Goff's new deal makes him the second highest-paid quarterback in the NFL, behind only the Cincinnati Bengals' Joe Burrow ($55 million)."

Where is Love now contract wise? $170 million guaranteed. I can't even fathom that type of money.
The Lions just hitched their wagons to a decent but not great QB. A bad thing? Probably not, as long as they can keep a good supporting cast around him. The part of the deal that I would hate as a Lions fan is the $170 guaranteed. NFL teams have gotten into a ridiculous amounts of money when it comes to guarantees. A player gets hurt or declines in ability and boom, the team is stuck.

My only hope is that the Packers can work out a deal with Jordan that doesn't contain that kind of guaranteed money, but I 100% don't expect them too. The NFL prints its own money and the players and their agents are simply taking advantage of it.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions just hitched their wagons to a decent but not great QB. A bad thing? Probably not, as long as they can keep a good supporting cast around him. The part of the deal that I would hate as a Lions fan is the $170 guaranteed. NFL teams have gotten into a ridiculous amounts of money when it comes to guarantees. A player gets hurt or declines in ability and boom, the team is stuck.

My only hope is that the Packers can work out a deal with Jordan that doesn't contain that kind of guaranteed money, but I 100% don't expect them too. The NFL prints its own money and the players and their agents are simply taking advantage of it.

I will say if GB gets Love to take less guaranteed, I think that means it is going to be a longer extension unlike what some are thinking.

Essentially the "shell" I think is 4/200 or 5/250 or 6/300....now how you move shells around of money as far as guarantees (maybe lower with some incentives that push them), bonuses...potentially void year inclusion? That is where everything matters.

I think GB could say look you and Goff are at different points in your career but truly he has done more, but you both are in a similar position - we want to give you 5 years, beat his guaranteed money so lets do $180M guaranteed in five years....such a deal would likely hitch us to Love hard for two years, three years more likely.

It's a gamble, regardless of how good I feel Love is going to be, and I think he can be a SB winner for sure....so at that point I'm personally like screw it go like KC and lets do the longest contract GB has done and do 6, 7 or 8 type.

Reaction score
If that's the case I would love to play cards with Davante.
So would I. I’ve only won 1 Texas Hold ‘em Tourny and it was only 3 tables to start with about ~35 players. Thankfully it was the first week I started in Finance with my new Employer and our GM (my Boss) played with me. So Lord made me look smarter than I am once again. So sorry I had to take all his chips, but that’s what he gets for trying to hide the Black chips under his shirt sleeve.

Last edited:

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So would I. I’ve only won 1 Texas Hold ‘em Tourny and it was only 3 tables to start with about ~35 players. Thankfully it was the first week I started in Finance with my new Employer and our GM (my Boss) played with me. So Lord made me look smarter than I am once again. So sorry I had to take all his chips, but that’s what he gets for trying to hide the Black chips under his shirt sleeve.
I’m down. Tailgate poker tourney at lambeau for Bears @pack.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will say if GB gets Love to take less guaranteed, I think that means it is going to be a longer extension unlike what some are thinking.

Essentially the "shell" I think is 4/200 or 5/250 or 6/300....now how you move shells around of money as far as guarantees (maybe lower with some incentives that push them), bonuses...potentially void year inclusion? That is where everything matters.

I think GB could say look you and Goff are at different points in your career but truly he has done more, but you both are in a similar position - we want to give you 5 years, beat his guaranteed money so lets do $180M guaranteed in five years....such a deal would likely hitch us to Love hard for two years, three years more likely.

It's a gamble, regardless of how good I feel Love is going to be, and I think he can be a SB winner for sure....so at that point I'm personally like screw it go like KC and lets do the longest contract GB has done and do 6, 7 or 8 type.

I'm probably not the guy an NFL fan wants to discuss contracts with. Personally, I think they have become an absolute joke, which also IMO, reflects what the NFL has become. Guys getting guarantees of $100+ million for services yet to be performed. No guarantee that they will ever be performed and if they are, at the level they are being compensated for.

I would have no issues with long term contracts, as long as both sides have ways out or at minimum, ways to change the terms, after each years performance. NFL contracts are based on projections, using past production. Switch it to "Play and pay" and I would be a happier fan.

Back to Jordan Love's future deal. I see about what you are seeing, the $50M/year deal. Will they factor in the fact that he is under contract for "just" $13M? I doubt it, Love has way too much leverage.

Reaction score
I'm probably not the guy an NFL fan wants to discuss contracts with. Personally, I think they have become an absolute joke, which also IMO, reflects what the NFL has become. Guys getting guarantees of $100+ million for services yet to be performed. No guarantee that they will ever be performed and if they are, at the level they are being compensated for.

I would have no issues with long term contracts, as long as both sides have ways out or at minimum, ways to change the terms, after each years performance. NFL contracts are based on projections, using past production. Switch it to "Play and pay" and I would be a happier fan.

Back to Jordan Love's future deal. I see about what you are seeing, the $50M/year deal. Will they factor in the fact that he is under contract for "just" $13M? I doubt it, Love has way too much leverage.
I could see an “extension” for slightly longer and solid guaranteed (~4 yrs)
My guess:

6X$290mil X $190mil guar

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

I don't disagree with your perspective on this. The problem is, the demand is real. There is just that much money in NFL football. The cap structure is negotiated through the union and agreed upon. If not for that, all the money would go to the owners. They would keep player salaries down even with the demand being there. Then instead of it being better distributed to the players it would go in the billionaire's pockets. The system is what it is until the demand for football goes down. In reality, it's our faults for loving it so much. I can't help myself though. I want to love it and squeeze it and pat it....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m down. Tailgate poker tourney at lambeau for Bears @pack.

I don't disagree with your perspective on this. The problem is, the demand is real. There is just that much money in NFL football. The cap structure is negotiated through the union and agreed upon. If not for that, all the money would go to the owners. They would keep player salaries down even with the demand being there. Then instead of it being better distributed to the players it would go in the billionaire's pockets. The system is what it is until the demand for football goes down. In reality, it's our faults for loving it so much. I can't help myself though. I want to love it and squeeze it and pat it....

I guess what we need to do, is set up a "Fans Union" and demand an equal share of the NFL Pie! :coffee:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah when speaking to projections of contracts you cannot justify the numbers so you just push it aside and predict based on the market. Which is why regardless of how much folks thought I was nuts I argued that Lazard would get over $8M and he did....man I remember Capt thinking was insane for that. Fact is there is no way on this green earth that Love's people take less than Goff unless in creative ways where say Russ tells them look we will potentially give you MORE than Goff is going to make based on a million incentive for winning division, another million if we advance to the conference ship and another 1.5M if you win us a SB....IN ANY YEAR of this contract. So.....that brings down the hit per year potentially a few million....

BUT Love is signing a better contract than Goff....and by better I mean bigger. Better is subjective...