Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea if Rodgers will retire after this year. I don't believe any reporter who says they have "the word, from inside the organization." They're rarely right.

But, I do believe that Watson and Doubs are going to take a big step up next year, and be extremely productive. Right now, Doubs is proving he has a heckuva great future in the NFL, for a rookie.

If I was to make a guess, I think Rodgers might be willing to stick around for one more year, if he sees growth on the defense, and promise from his receivers, and offensive line. I just don't see it as cut and dried as others do.

Either way, next fall, the Packers will take the field, and it will probably be Rodgers or Love under center.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea if Rodgers will retire after this year. I don't believe any reporter who says they have "the word, from inside the organization." They're rarely right.

But, I do believe that Watson and Doubs are going to take a big step up next year, and be extremely productive. Right now, Doubs is proving he has a heckuva great future in the NFL, for a rookie.

If I was to make a guess, I think Rodgers might be willing to stick around for one more year, if he sees growth on the defense, and promise from his receivers, and offensive line. I just don't see it as cut and dried as others do.

Either way, next fall, the Packers will take the field, and it will probably be Rodgers or Love under center.
Good points. I do think Doubs will be something special. I have doubts about Watson but he really hasn't received many chances yet. Hopefully he'll live up to his promise.

And yeah, rumors about Rodgers, or anyone, leaving are just that, rumors. I don't buy it and it doesn't matter right now anyway.

I do wonder if they would let Love take over, or if they would try and trade for a starter - probably an impossible task. IMO Love hasn't shown anything. After three years he still looks, to me, like a frightened and unsure UDFA. I hope I'm wrong.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't completely understand the cap-voodoo but I read that IF he retires after '22, before '23 season he forgoes $59Mil in salary/bonus and leaves GB with slightly more than $40Mil dead money on the cap. OTC shows completely different numbers ($99Mil dead money) if he's cut or traded... but I'm guessing if he retires GB can "recoup" some of that $ on the cap.

'23 Salary cap estimates are $225-$228Mil w/ GB having approx. $228Mil in cap liabilities... IF AR retires that would mean approx. $268Mil in cap liabilities (or maybe AR's $31Mil cap # is part of the $40Mil dead$??) so to sign the draft class & get under the cap Gute would need to jettison at least $20-$50Mil player cap. Absolutely no idea how that happens... :( .

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't completely understand the cap-voodoo but I read that IF he retires after '22, before '23 season he forgoes $59Mil in salary/bonus and leaves GB with slightly more than $40Mil dead money on the cap. OTC shows completely different numbers ($99Mil dead money) if he's cut or traded... but I'm guessing if he retires GB can "recoup" some of that $ on the cap.

'23 Salary cap estimates are $225-$228Mil w/ GB having approx. $228Mil in cap liabilities... IF AR retires that would mean approx. $268Mil in cap liabilities so to sign the draft class & get under the cap Gute would need to jettison at least $50Mil player cap. Absolutely no idea how that happens... :( .
I don't know how it would happen either (get down to the $228m cap from $268m). It will be ugly and could force a rebuild, or maybe just one or two losing seasons. Well, maybe. I don't understand cap-voodoo either.......

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what they do, when Rodgers leaves, it's going to be a major hit in dead cap. If he stays, it's going to be a big hit in the cap.

It's a no win situation, financially, and he knows it.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
This is interesting to me because he just said this not that long ago (08/22/22).

In an interview with Barstool Sports, Aaron Rodgers had very telling comments regarding his future in the league. Big Cat (who is a well known die-hard Bears fan) repeatedly expressed his desire to get Aaron Rodgers to quit football. Or, at the very least, get him out of the NFC North. He expressly mentioned wanting this “so maybe his Bears would have a chance.” Big Cat mentioned Jeopardy or LIV Sports to make the offer seem more desirable. Aaron Rodgers response?
In three more years… Maybe four.
It was an unexpected answer, but one that Rodgers responded with immediately. He didn’t seem to be making a joke either. Now anything can happen, and we wouldn’t bank his entire future off this one interview, but it at least shows what he is thinking currently.

Reaction score

'23 Salary cap estimates are $225-$228Mil w/ GB having approx. $228Mil in cap liabilities... IF AR retires that would mean approx. $268Mil in cap liabilities (or maybe AR's $31Mil cap # is part of the $40Mil dead$??) so to sign the draft class & get under the cap Gute would need to jettison at least $20-$50Mil player cap. Absolutely no idea how that happens... :( .
it’s ugly no matter how you slice it and Dice it. I think Aaron will play at least one more season and possibly two.
I think he’ll either retire or get traded by 2025.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does this keep coming up? He’s at a stage in life where every year could be his last. He’s been year to year basically for a season or two based just on that. We’re looking likely at 3 tops for him so sooner or later saying he’s done after this year is going to be the right one.

Just enjoy while he’s here or not. We’ll all know when he’s done. Forecasting it doesn’t really do anything does it?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it’s ugly no matter how you slice it and Dice it. I think Aaron will play at least one more season and possibly two.
I think he’ll either retire or get traded by 2025.
Yeah I think the most likely scenario is that he calls it quits after the 2024 season. If he stays through 2024, the Packers will have to trade or cut Love and draft another QB of the future.

With the exception of WRs and TEs (a big exception), the Packers have built a solid team around him. Unless the D plays up to its ability though, this likely isn't a SB year.

The WR group will improve, and it seems Doubs is on the right path. They may be able to strengthen the group in FA as well.

We'll see. It's early and the team could still surprise. Other teams like the Cowboys and Eagles (even the Vikings) have moved ahead of the Packers for now. We'll certainly know more once they've played these same teams.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does this keep coming up? He’s at a stage in life where every year could be his last. He’s been year to year basically for a season or two based just on that. We’re looking likely at 3 tops for him so sooner or later saying he’s done after this year is going to be the right one.

Just enjoy while he’s here or not. We’ll all know when he’s done. Forecasting it doesn’t really do anything does it?
Forecasting just about anything is pretty much a wasted effort, although I indulge in this case. As you say, we'll know it when we know it.

Reaction score

Let us be bored. We might as well panic over the future instead of just the Jets game l:whistling:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Before jumping ship he could retire entirely. But with Brady still in the game he may feel inferior.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before jumping ship he could retire entirely. But with Brady still in the game he may feel inferior.
I don't think Rodgers will play anywhere else. If that was gonna happen, it would've happened already. My best guess is he plays through 2024. Then he can go and "sit" with his "plant" in South America.

D

Deleted member 6794

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

After taking a look at his Twitter account it doesn't seem Michael Balko is a reliable source.

I think if Rodgers sees or thinks that Gluten is not doing enough to make the team competitive, he'll walk away. But so far, the FO has done everything he's asked.

The front office has failed Rodgers by not surrounding him with enough talent for several years.

Rodgers retiring after the contract would SUCK from a cap perspective…yes some things could be done to lesson it but that would SUCK

Rodgers' retiring after this season would result in $40.3 million of dead money counting against the team's cap. As his cap hit of $31.6 million is already accounted for in the projections for next season it would only add another $8.7 million to the total.

With the deal structured in a unique way Rodgers retiring after two or three seasons would actually result in more dead money compared to him walking about after this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After taking a look at his Twitter account it doesn't seem Michael Balko is a reliable source.

The front office has failed Rodgers by not surrounding him with enough talent for several years.

Rodgers' retiring after this season would result in $40.3 million of dead money counting against the team's cap. As his cap hit of $31.6 million is already accounted for in the projections for next season it would only add another $8.7 million to the total.

With the deal structured in a unique way Rodgers retiring after two or three seasons would actually result in more dead money compared to him walking about after this year.
For a long time, most of his time in GB actually, I agree the FO did very little to help Rodgers. They were lazy and relied on him.

That wasn't really true last year, and Rodgers couldn't get them across the finish line. The QB, unfairly, gets most of the credit for a win and most of the blame for a loss.

But the Packers had the #1 seed the last two years, something Rodgers asked for. So even when he had good teams around him, he couldn't get it done. Again, both were team failures, but Rodgers had plenty of talent around him, certainly last year against the Niners.

D

Deleted member 6794

For a long time, most of his time in GB actually, I agree the FO did very little to help Rodgers. They were lazy and relied on him.

That wasn't really true last year, and Rodgers couldn't get them across the finish line. The QB, unfairly, gets most of the credit for a win and most of the blame for a loss.

But the Packers had the #1 seed the last two years, something Rodgers asked for. So even when he had good teams around him, he couldn't get it done. Again, both were team failures, but Rodgers had plenty of talent around him, certainly last year against the Niners.

Rodgers was surrounded by a lot of talent on offense up until a few years ago. Unfortunately the defense struggled for the majority of those seasons contributing to the team coming up short of another Super Bowl.

Over the past few seasons the Packers have lacked talent at both wide receiver and tight end while the defense hasn't been good enough to make for those shortcomings.

There's no doubt Rodgers deserves blame for the loss to the Niners in the playoffs last year but I don't agree with him being responsible for the one to the Bucs. The offense scoring 26 points should have been enough to win that game.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Rodgers was surrounded by a lot of talent on offense up until a few years ago. Unfortunately the defense struggled for the majority of those seasons contributing to the team coming up short of another Super Bowl.

Over the past few seasons the Packers have lacked talent at both wide receiver and tight end while the defense hasn't been good enough to make for those shortcomings.

There's no doubt Rodgers deserves blame for the loss to the Niners in the playoffs last year but I don't agree with him being responsible for the one to the Bucs. The offense scoring 26 points should have been enough to win that game.
I blame Crosby myself.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I blame Crosby myself.
Tongue in cheek I hope Bill.

I think STs was the main culprit in the loss to the Niners. But when the D doesn't give up a TD and allows two FGs, the O has to be blamed for not carrying their part. That does fall on Rodgers. He's the leader of at least the offense, if not the whole team.

As for the loss to the Bucs, that was a team failure defined buy two plays and one series. The first play was allowing the TD just before half. Total defensive failure to not have a safety over the top. The second play was the fumble on the first series in the second half, and the series was the goal line fiasco with 3 incomplete passes and a field goal. Although the goal line stand would have been unnecessary without the first two.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Always falling for this tired old bit.

If Rodgers has said anything like this internally, it’s likely to squeeze the Packers and force them to aggressively take a look at adding some help via trade before the deadline.

Can’t help but notice the timing of this.

And this is assuming there’s even the slightest bit of truth to this.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Rodgers has said anything like this internally, it’s likely to squeeze the Packers and force them to aggressively take a look at adding some help via trade before the deadline.

There is.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't believe Rodgers is squeezing the FO for WR talent. (He probably did in the past.). And after today, with Cobb out with what looks like a serious ankle injury, and Watkins out, everybody at 1265 knows they have a problem. Rodgers doesn't need to say anything. I mean, it's so obvious.

And I held out some hope before the season that the WR group would be good enough. Not spectacular, but good enough. I certainly got that wrong......

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Usually, when I see a team playing as poorly as the Packers, I begin to think about a HC who has lost his locker room. If they don't start playing like they want to be there, this entire season is in the toilet, by the midpoint of the season.

It's not just on Rodgers, or any other particular player, but let's face it... two blocked kicks today, and a team that acts like they don't know how to block, tackle, or cover receives is usually considered a team that is tanking because they lack talent.

This is probably Rodgers last season with the Packers, no matter what. At the present rate, he will be on injured reserve, long before the season ends. The offensive line is the worst I've seen in over 30 years.