Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my point. I mean I get it, if some guy has 2 followers and is making wild accusations, then I wouldn't even waste my time with his statements. However Balko isn't a nobody on Twitter and his podcasts are relatively popular. I am not saying he is correct, but what he stated is plausible, even if is just speculative.

Of course, I know of a former twitter user that had something like 80+ million followers and tweeted close to 60,000 times and pretty much everything he tweeted was :poop:. So you just never know.
Good point. On any social media, there are reliable and unreliable sources. The challenge for us is deciding which is which...... or even which constitutes a majority. It does help to remember it's almost all opinion, just like Facebook. It's fine to use it and even reference it. Just needs to be balanced with other facts/comments.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was talk two years ago about trading Rodgers to the Broncos. I didn't like the idea at the time. Maybe that was wrong but hindsight is 20/20, and there's a lot of football left.

If misery loves company though, Russ Wilson has done nothing in Denver. I watched some of the game last night, and he's not close to the guy we've seen the last 11 years. So things can go south for anyone and any team.

It's gonna be week-to-week with the Packers. They have the talent to succeed. Do they have the will?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers talent and ability has suddenly left him, but with an OL that is totally underperforming and no receivers named Adams, both he and the offense are struggling. With those struggles, Rodgers frustrations became more and more obvious and that seems to effect his play in an even more negative way. The only thing that might pull this offense out of the dumpster will be players stepping up and improving over what they have showed in the first 6 games. If they can somehow find a rhythm and put together some decent scoring drives, Rodgers will also play better. Right now, he looks like a 38 year old QB that might be wondering if he shouldn't have retired, while he and the Packers were near the top of their game.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if Rodgers isn't changing a whole lot of plays at the line of scrimmage. Which would not be good. He should not be the primary play caller by changing at the line of scrimmage. That would not be good.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Rodgers talent and ability has suddenly left him, but with an OL that is totally underperforming and no receivers named Adams, both he and the offense are struggling. With those struggles, Rodgers frustrations became more and more obvious and that seems to effect his play in an even more negative way. The only thing that might pull this offense out of the dumpster will be players stepping up and improving over what they have showed in the first 6 games. If they can somehow find a rhythm and put together some decent scoring drives, Rodgers will also play better. Right now, he looks like a 38 year old QB that might be wondering if he shouldn't have retired, while he and the Packers were near the top of their game.
Well said. Rodgers isn't the only player who can change things up. I think it should come from the top, MLF, but he doesn't speak with a lot of authority IMO. Now I have no idea how the players feel about him. After the last three years I'm sure the relationship is good. But things can fall apart quickly with a team underperforming and a lot of people start pointing figures.

So the Washington game is a chance to get healthy with what should be an inferior opponent. We'll find out soon enough.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am starting to wonder if Rodgers isn't changing a whole lot of plays at the line of scrimmage. Which would not be good. He should not be the primary play caller by changing at the line of scrimmage. That would not be good.
I actually thought the same thing a few weeks ago. Especially, when he consistently throws up hail Mary's to well covered receivers. Even worse when all they need are 3-10 yards for a first down and he's chucking the ball up like it is the end of a half.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I don't know what the right number of audibles is and I imagine it varies. But the overall game plan is executed by the HC, OC, and DC. Getting away from that is risky, and should only be used when the opposing D is lined up to counter the call, and vice versa for the O.

That said, I trust Rodgers more than any other QB to make audibles. As a QB, Rodgers plays chess while other QBs play checkers.

So I think most calls are executed as called from the sidelines. But who knows? Apparently that's a well-guarded secret by the Packers, and probably all teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well said. Rodgers isn't the only player who can change things up. I think it should come from the top, MLF, but he doesn't speak with a lot of authority IMO. Now I have no idea how the players feel about him. After the last three years I'm sure the relationship is good. But things can fall apart quickly with a team underperforming and a lot of people start pointing figures.

So the Washington game is a chance to get healthy with what should be an inferior opponent. We'll find out soon enough.
I hope I am wrong, but I would not be surprised if MLF is a bit afraid to confront Rodgers and tell him "this is my team and when things are working well, you can freelance more, but they aren't, so lets stick to my game plan." Rodgers has definitely been vocal and threatening (to want out) over the last 2 years and at this point, it seems possible that both the front office and coaching staff are walking on eggshells, in an attempt not to tick Rodgers off. Not really a good situation, if that is the case.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually thought the same thing a few weeks ago. Especially, when he consistently throws up hail Mary's to well covered receivers. Even worse when all they need are 3-10 yards for a first down and he's chucking the ball up like it is the end of a half.
Yeah that's really frustrating. Even if Rodgers is on his game, those are high risk throws. And to your point, why do it when only a few yards are needed.

Every once in a while it can work spectacularly well. A long pass on 4th and inches can work, but the risks seem to outweigh the benefits - at least enough to make the risky pass play rare.

But I don't think Rodgers has hit even one of those passes this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That said, I trust Rodgers more than any other QB to make audibles. As a QB, Rodgers plays chess while other QBs play checkers.
In the past, I agree. However, with the tools he has at WR and to an extent, the OL, he needs to get back to basics and stick to the abilities of the players around him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah that's really frustrating. Even if Rodgers is on his game, those are high risk throws. And to your point, why do it when only a few yards are needed.

Every once in a while it can work spectacularly well. A long pass on 4th and inches can work, but the risks seem to outweigh the benefits - at least enough to make the risky pass play rare.

But I don't think Rodgers has hit even one of those passes this year.
He's been terrible with them, but that might not be all on Rodgers and more on the guys he is throwing to. MVS took quite awhile to master those long bombs and even then, they didn't always work. Good way to wreck the confidence of a young WR as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the past, I agree. However, with the tools he has at WR and to an extent, the OL, he needs to get back to basics and stick to the abilities of the players around him.
I do agree with that. As good as Rodgers is, and again as you noted, the success of any pass play includes the receiver (or RB) running the right route and then catching the ball. MVS is an excellent example. But at least he showed an ability to get open early, and it involves more than just straight line speed.

Rodgers needs to be patient (so do we). I still believe the team has a lot of talent. Execution, though, is everything.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers seemed to have caught yet another break when it comes to their opponents. Carson Wentz will be out Sunday and Taylor Heinicke will get the start.

Well after Frank Zappa came in as the third Patriot's QB, can we be sure this is a good thing? Side note, Frank is kicking *** and taking names in NE. 4th round pick....... 'Nuff said.

D

Deleted member 6794

What are your guidelines for a source being "reliable" on Twitter?

Asking for a friend.

I consider sources to be reliable who have proven in the past that they have inside sources within the league or an organization. Scrolling through Balko's timeline he hasn't been right on anything he heard for a fact so far. So I'm sorry if I don't put a lot of stock into his tweets.

It's gonna be week-to-week with the Packers. They have the talent to succeed.

Actually it seems that a lack of talent is the main reason for the offense struggling.

The Packers hugely benefit from Rodgers' ability to read defenses and change the play at the LOS accordingly. It doesn't matter a whole lot if they can't execute the play properly though.

I don't like those play calls either but take a look at the screenshots below and tell me who Rodgers should be targeting instead to get the yards necessary. On the third one he targeted Lazard but Gardner poked the ball out of his hands for an incompletion.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First screen shot, Doub's is really the only option, he's running past his defender with nothing but green in front of him. as he's back to throw, Dillon was getting run over in a nice blitz pick up. That was a pretty good collision. Holding the ball wasn't an option. I think the guy at the top of the screen would have been at best a yard or 2 short but worse and INT ball. If there wasn't a blitz up the middle, maybe a candidate for an out and up move, but that's easy to say sitting here. with how our oline was playing, that would have probably resulted in a sack waiting that long.

2nd, I don't see any down or distance markers. If big 94 isn't right in the pass lane, maybe Tonyan for a 3-4 yard gain, but Lazard looks to be the best option on that field.

3rd Lazard is the option. The guy at the top of the screen is well defended on the outside with a defender coming from mid field on a ball that's going to be in the air for a while.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First screen shot, Doub's is really the only option, he's running past his defender with nothing but green in front of him. as he's back to throw, Dillon was getting run over in a nice blitz pick up. That was a pretty good collision. Holding the ball wasn't an option. I think the guy at the top of the screen would have been at best a yard or 2 short but worse and INT ball. If there wasn't a blitz up the middle, maybe a candidate for an out and up move, but that's easy to say sitting here. with how our oline was playing, that would have probably resulted in a sack waiting that long.

2nd, I don't see any down or distance markers. If big 94 isn't right in the pass lane, maybe Tonyan for a 3-4 yard gain, but Lazard looks to be the best option on that field.

3rd Lazard is the option. The guy at the top of the screen is well defended on the outside with a defender coming from mid field on a ball that's going to be in the air for a while.
Quite often, when we look at a play with a limited perspective of the entire field, we think we see a missed opportunity, but often it isn't true, because of exactly what you said about how long it will take for the pass to arrive at where it's going to be thrown. A faster DB can cover a lot of ground to get there, even if it's a fairly flat trajectory.

As far as what some have said, about Rodgers changing the play at the line of scrimmage, I think that's often what's called. The coaches will see a tendency on the part of the defense, and call a "play" for Rodgers. That play consists of a lot of variables, including whether it's a pass or run. It's Rodgers job to determine which one appears would work best, when the ball is snapped. I'd say that probably 4 out of every 5 plays are designed that way. He uses motion to help identify which option he'll use, and conveys it through a signal at the line. Sometimes what he calls out is a decoy, to try to entice the defense to change their coverage. It's all a game of cat and mouse.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't like those play calls either but take a look at the screenshots below and tell me who Rodgers should be targeting instead to get the yards necessary. On the third one he targeted Lazard but Gardner poked the ball out of his hands for an incompletion.

I've said this before and I will say it again, using 1 Birdseye view screen shot to analyze an entire play, isn't really my cup of tea. First of all, you aren't seeing what the QB is seeing, second of all, you are only seeing the split second of time that the person trying to make a point desires to show you. So all 3 of the plays that you are attempting your analysis on here should be shown in their entirety and from the QB's perspective.

Bottom line for me, the Packers aren't scoring points and in the process, are going 3 and out too often. Time for the offense to maintain drives by picking up first downs. They don't seem to have the receivers/offense this year to hit the big homeruns, so for now, Rodgers needs to stop going after them. If receivers aren't getting open for first down passes, then figure out a way to get them open.

Let's face it, Rodgers has been dealt a really crap hand with his receiving weapons, or lack thereof, this season. So unless those players (and the OL) suddenly improve quite a bit, the offense is going to have to rely more on the two AJ's. Problem with that, defenses aren't too concerned about the Packers WR's and TE's and have figured out ways to shut down the Packers run and short passing game. MLF and his offensive coaches are going to have to reinvent themselves or this may end up being a long, painful season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've said this before and I will say it again, using 1 Birdseye view screen shot to analyze an entire play, isn't really my cup of tea. First of all, you aren't seeing what the QB is seeing, second of all, you are only seeing the split second of time that the person trying to make a point desires to show you. So all 3 of the plays that you are attempting your analysis on here should be shown in their entirety and from the QB's perspective.

Bottom line for me, the Packers aren't scoring points and in the process, are going 3 and out too often. Time for the offense to maintain drives by picking up first downs. They don't seem to have the receivers/offense this year to hit the big homeruns, so for now, Rodgers needs to stop going after them. If receivers aren't getting open for first down passes, then figure out a way to get them open.

Let's face it, Rodgers has been dealt a really crap hand with his receiving weapons, or lack thereof, this season. So unless those players (and the OL) suddenly improve quite a bit, the offense is going to have to rely more on the two AJ's. Problem with that, defenses aren't too concerned about the Packers WR's and TE's and have figured out ways to shut down the Packers run and short passing game. MLF and his offensive coaches are going to have to reinvent themselves or this may end up being a long, painful season.
I agree with all you write. And the only view to analyze a play is from the QB's view, both pre-snap and post-snap, and not from a still photo. And even then we're guessing cause we don't know the play called, or if it was an audible. It's very hard for someone other than a former player to break this down, and even they have to guess.

In addition to getting the running game going and somehow stopping Rodgers from thinking he still has Adams and MVS, the Packers have to get tougher. MLF doesn't like beating his friends? C'mom man! Robert Saleh was telling his guys to just keep hitting the Packers in the mouth and they'll cave, and they do.

So with my admittedly limited knowledge of the game, I advise that they "nut up or shut up". They look like all their shoulders are sagging. This is a talented and potentially physical team. Fight back!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A really bad sign for me is the fact that we are hearing about players, on both sides of the ball, grumbling about play calling and coaching. When you start loosing and playing poorly in the process, everyone starts second guessing themselves and those around them. This is when good coaching and team leadership needs to step in and try to right the ship.

I don't like to say "must win", but if they don't go to Washington and beat yet another backup QB and look good doing it, they very well could be playing their next home game, against the Cowboys, sitting at 3-6, more than halfway through the season.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is interesting to me because he just said this not that long ago (08/22/22).

In an interview with Barstool Sports, Aaron Rodgers had very telling comments regarding his future in the league. Big Cat (who is a well known die-hard Bears fan) repeatedly expressed his desire to get Aaron Rodgers to quit football. Or, at the very least, get him out of the NFC North. He expressly mentioned wanting this “so maybe his Bears would have a chance.” Big Cat mentioned Jeopardy or LIV Sports to make the offer seem more desirable. Aaron Rodgers response?

It was an unexpected answer, but one that Rodgers responded with immediately. He didn’t seem to be making a joke either. Now anything can happen, and we wouldn’t bank his entire future off this one interview, but it at least shows what he is thinking currently.

Maybe if Rodgers wasn’t SO hoggish needing ALL that money for Himself—You know He REALLY needs all those millions of dollars they could have had a better team! Rodgers isn’t about the Green Bay Packers team it is ALL about Aaron Rodgers! Wish they had traded Him away while He was still worth something!!! Simplify oh yes that’s the answer to EVERYTHING Rodgers!!!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A really bad sign for me is the fact that we are hearing about players, on both sides of the ball, grumbling about play calling and coaching. When you start loosing and playing poorly in the process, everyone starts second guessing themselves and those around them. This is when good coaching and team leadership needs to step in and try to right the ship.

I don't like to say "must win", but if they don't go to Washington and beat yet another backup QB and look good doing it, they very well could be playing their next home game, against the Cowboys, sitting at 3-6, more than halfway through the season.
It seems like MLF has lost the locker room. He did win a lot of games his first three years with one of the best QBs to ever play the game and at least a few guys who could catch the ball. I do believe that having Rodgers playing well is almost a guarantee of 10 wins. He is that good. Consecutive MVPs don't happen by mistake.

MLF doesn't come across as an ***-kicker on TV. But who knows what he's like in the locker room? Let's just say that if, in fact, he has lost the locker room, I wouldn't be that surprised. The pity of it is that this team has a lot of talent, with a few exceptions. It's easy to blame but this season's woes seem to be from bad coaching. And if they keep losing as they have been losing, which is to say unmotivated, then the talent will also be called into question.

Or maybe this is just softening us up for what GB football will look like for at least the first few years without Rodgers.

Members online