Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think someone should start a new thread and just call it "The Rodgers Super Lottery". Every day it seems another team is being thrown into the hat by the media as a possible landing spot for AR. I have a feeling that this will be the biggest offseason story and might even overshadow all the hype that goes into the SB.

Also, I don't mind more teams wanting Rodgers, just drives up his trade price.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't watched a Super Bowl ad since... so long can't remember when. I do think it was back when Budweiser was big time. Loved them horses! Halftime? Nope! Don't interest me. I couldn't tell you one halftime show I've saw at all, or even five minutes of it.

I expect Coke to be an advertiser. When I see insurance companies advertising I think of how my cost is going up. That don't make me happy. I avoid the sixteen solid hours of hype leading up to the game because it's all fluff and crap! Nauseating. Even when they "look back to the past," and pretend they really give a rip.... they don't. It's all about today, and how much money they make from today's game. Yesterday? A bunch of losers! They never got the big bucks.

I think I read that the winning players get $150k for the game? The losers get $75k? That $75k is more money than the average NFL player made back in 1966, when this all started. The average salary back then was $23,600. That was their yearly salary. Yet, when it comes to their new contracts, today's players don't want to share the big bucks they're getting with the guys that set it up for them to get it.

The only time the big game interests me is when the Packers are playing in it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My problem is why can't these players at the bottom have a contingency plan for when their football career ends. Why does football have to set them up for life. Can't they get another job?

I don't blame anyone for trying to get as much as they can but I don't have any sympathy for them if their career ends early (unless its a major injury that affects their quality of life)

A guy who goes through four years of college and signs on to a teams practice squad and stays there for 1 year will earn 165,000 dollars his first year out of college. If that is the extent of his football career he has still gotten a bigger leg up than most college grads do.
I don't remember his name but I read of an ex player who went broke because he made bad investments based on either really bad advice or was scammed out of it.

You know the HBO football show Hard Knocks? I remember they showed a potential player explaining to other ones of how to invest or some sound financial advice. (I think he got cut a bit later.) I dunno if the players he talked to took the advice or if he is following it himself. Just saying there are players that are savvy about their futures.

Don Majkowski (Remember him? LOL) went into the real estate investing business which he has since sold. He is now living with daily pain issues.

Another thing is that recently 25% of payments was cut from 400 NFL retirees to cover the costs of paying other players so not everything is in the ex players hands.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I avoid the sixteen solid hours of hype leading up to the game because it's all fluff and crap! Nauseating. Even when they "look back to the past," and pretend they really give a rip.... they don't. It's all about today, and how much money they make from today's game. Yesterday? A bunch of losers! They never got the big bucks.

I think I read that the winning players get $150k for the game? The losers get $75k? That $75k is more money than the average NFL player made back in 1966, when this all started. The average salary back then was $23,600. That was their yearly salary. Yet, when it comes to their new contracts, today's players don't want to share the big bucks they're getting with the guys that set it up for them to get it.
That "16 hours" is not an exaggeration.
There are more hours of the pre-game to the pre-game to the pre-game shows than there is of the actual game itself which lasts as long as it always does. 3 hours.
You would think it's the Olympics or the second coming of Christ!
Nope.
Just another football game.

And doesn't the second place team also get rings for being the conference champs?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on man....these are NFL players we are talking about....they can't live on that!
I'm under the impression that players who grew up in poverty conditions then get all this money and are like a kid in a candy store going nuts with it and spending it as if it grows on trees. Also, probably getting all sorts of family and friends knocking on their door asking for handouts (Remember me? You sat behind me in Fifth Grade and I let you copy my test answers) as well as taking care of moms (And pops if he is in the picture) buying her a new home as Eddie Lacy did.
Then their career ends, possibly cut short of an injury, and all that money they thought would be around forever is gone because they did not invest any of it wisely.
I think the majority of players go broke. Don't they?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't remember his name but I read of an ex player who went broke because he made bad investments based on either really bad advice or was scammed out of it.
Pretty common story, whether it is in Football or other walks of life.

My grandmother and grandfather lived a pretty comfortable life. He was in the publishing business and quite the photographer. He worked hard, traveled a lot and put away a nice nest egg. It wasn't until after he passed (massive stroke) that his wife, my grandmother, found out that he had entrusted someone to invest all of their money in Mexican Banks. No regulations, tons of money to be made, because the interest rates were way higher than American banks. Well before his death, he found out that all that money was gone, long gone and no FDIC to back it up, a secret he took with him to the grave. Sad part, once my grandmother found out, she got bilked out of even more money when the original investor told her he would need some money to "look into it". She ended up learning the publishing business at about 75 years old, not cause she wanted to, but because she had to. Did quiet well with it, probably better than her stubborn cheap husband ever did.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we hear lots of stories, about a few players, going that route. I felt sorry for the players of the pre-90's having that happen. However, since then, if a player goes broke because they can't handle the money themselves correctly or hire someone to help with the task and then can't figure out how to get another job, then I don't really feel sorry for them. Now a steel worker who loses his job due to shutdowns and can't house, feed or clothe his family, yup.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I used to be a Super Bowl ad junkie, as well as a Football junkie. Life changes, priorities change. If I watch a game, including the Packers, I don't normally start watching until an hour after it started. That way, I can FF through all the commercials and be caught up by the end of the game. It is funny, when I am at a game and there is a "TV timeout", it feels like forever in the stadium, before they start playing again.

I bet I have only watched half or less of the SB's in the last 20 years. If the Packers aren't in them or I don't have a party to go to, I can find better things to do.
For me its almost the reverse. I start watching from the beginning but my streaming service sucks so bad that by the time the 4th quarter starts I can just check espn to see who won. Its not quite that bad but one game I was watching I got a text from my cousin saying it sucked that they lost and with my streaming feature they were still ahead and they hadn't even reached the 2 minute warning.

I am the same way with the SB and as far as the ads go its been a looong time since one really stood out.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For me its almost the reverse. I start watching from the beginning but my streaming service sucks so bad that by the time the 4th quarter starts I can just check espn to see who won. Its not quite that bad but one game I was watching I got a text from my cousin saying it sucked that they lost and with my streaming feature they were still ahead and they hadn't even reached the 2 minute warning.

I am the same way with the SB and as far as the ads go its been a looong time since one really stood out.
Too funny. See when I do happen to watch a game "live"....I watch via YouTubeTV and that is usually about 30 seconds behind "Live". So I refuse to look at texts when the Packers are playing, because either I am 30 seconds or 30 minutes behind and I don't want to know anything about the game before it happens.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that players who grew up in poverty conditions then get all this money and are like a kid in a candy store going nuts with it and spending it as if it grows on trees. Also, probably getting all sorts of family and friends knocking on their door asking for handouts (Remember me? You sat behind me in Fifth Grade and I let you copy my test answers) as well as taking care of moms (And pops if he is in the picture) buying her a new home as Eddie Lacy did.
Then their career ends, possibly cut short of an injury, and all that money they thought would be around forever is gone because they did not invest any of it wisely.
I think we hear lots of stories, about a few players, going that route. I felt sorry for the players of the pre-90's having that happen. However, since then, if a player goes broke because they can't handle the money themselves correctly or hire someone to help with the task and then can't figure out how to get another job, then I don't really feel sorry for them. Now a steel worker who loses his job due to shutdowns and can't house, feed or clothe his family, yup.

I don't know about the majority of them. I would say the majority of them probably can't live off their NFL payday (which is what AKC said) but if they are smart it can set them up in a position that makes it easier. Maybe they invest or maybe they start a business or they turn their popularity into money somehow but being in the NFL can open doors even for the bottom of the ladder ones. If they are smart. Problem is too many are not smart. But what's wrong with that? Why can't they get another job when their first one is done? Why should they expect football to set them up for life without having to work any more. If it does great but if not, welcome to the real world Very few people have the good fortune to be able to work a short period of time and retire. Why should football players be any different.

I'm sure there are a lot of them who make a lot of money, millions, maybe even 10s of millions, and fritter it away but I don't really think that the number is all that much higher than in other walks of life. If you take a 30 year old perennial down on his luck flunkie with a 25,000 -30,000 a year job 10,000 in CC debt a big mortgage and maybe some student loans and give him 100,000 cash tax free I'd be willing to bet that within 2-3 years its gone and his life situation hasn't changed much. Football players are people too.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too funny. See when I do happen to watch a game "live"....I watch via YouTubeTV and that is usually about 30 seconds behind "Live". So I refuse to look at texts when the Packers are playing, because either I am 30 seconds or 30 minutes behind and I don't want to know anything about the game before it happens.
I was at a SB party one time and everyone was out in the family room watching the game on a big Hi def digital balls to the wall set and there was this one guy who would poke his head into the bedroom and catch a glimpse on a little regular old TV. That feed was about 15-20 seconds or more ahead of the big one and at least three times he made bets with people on a play after he saw the result "Bet you 5 bucks he misses this kick" "your on" stuff like that. He screwed it up when he let out a cheer after an interception and we were all watching the team still in the huddle.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at a SB party one time and everyone was out in the family room watching the game on a big Hi def digital balls to the wall set and there was this one guy who would poke his head into the bedroom and catch a glimpse on a little regular old TV. That feed was about 15-20 seconds or more ahead of the big one and at least three times he made bets with people on a play after he saw the result "Bet you 5 bucks he misses this kick" "your on" stuff like that. He screwed it up when he let out a cheer after an interception and we were all watching the team still in the huddle.
It was time for him to start returning the money he'd won! :laugh:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you give him a chance to come in and say, "Bet ya the QB throws an interception?" or did ya all not wait and bust him before that?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
THAT is how I know you! BTW, you still owe my 5 bucks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why should they expect football to set them up for life without having to work any more. If it does great but if not, welcome to the real world Very few people have the good fortune to be able to work a short period of time and retire. Why should football players be any different.
This, right here. I can't tell you how many people I know that are working in jobs, that have nothing to do with their original career path/major. How many people are on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th job. How many 50+ in age people I know that are still working. As you or someone else said....no student loans to pay off, $150K in my bank, my 1 year stint as an NFL football player is up, thank you NFL, I am now on to real life.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A pictorial reminder of that day back in 2008, when we attended the Shareholders meeting at Lambeau Field. This was right after Favre was dumped. People had signs in the parking lot. Second pic is the podium, where Murphy was greeted with a huge boo! That's just a couple of people who had signs, not my wife and I. I just wanted the pic.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, right here. I can't tell you how many people I know that are working in jobs, that have nothing to do with their original career path/major. How many people are on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th job. How many 50+ in age people I know that are still working. As you or someone else said....no student loans to pay off, $150K in my bank, my 1 year stint as an NFL football player is up, thank you NFL, I am now on to real life.
Nobody says anyone should expect that. The point is that in fact very rarely happens. All the people saying all these guys are getting “set for life” don’t have a clue. These guys are the very best in the world at what they do and they need to and shouldn’t be critisized for grabbing all they can during their narrow window. Comparing them to some Joe servicing Xerox machines is laughable. You want them to be like you or think you’re like them… they’re not, you’re not. LOL

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The point is that in fact very rarely happens. All the people saying all these guys are getting “set for life” don’t have a clue. These guys are the very best in the world at what they do and they need to and shouldn’t be critisized for grabbing all they can during their narrow window.

This post really emphasizes just how poorly you have followed the discussion, that or you are just changing things around to try and fit your own narrative, in your own mind.

To say that NFL players are "very rarely" set for life after they retire is really not paying any attention to reality. Then stating that people are saying that all these guys are getting set for life, I have never said that and haven't seen anyone else say that. Finally, who was criticizing the players for taking the money? I sure wasn't. I was commenting how ridiculous it is that the money is there in the first place. That a guy gets paid $20M for a season he played a few snaps in during the final meaningless game of it. You were the one who decided to run with this and scream bloody murder that ALL players are somehow being victimized by my comments.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This post really emphasizes just how poorly you have followed the discussion, that or you are just changing things around to try and fit your own narrative, in your own mind.

To say that NFL players are "very rarely" set for life after they retire is really not paying any attention to reality. Then stating that people are saying that all these guys are getting set for life, I have never said that and haven't seen anyone else say that. Finally, who was criticizing the players for taking the money? I sure wasn't. I was commenting how ridiculous it is that the money is there in the first place. That a guy gets paid $20M for a season he played a few snaps in during the final meaningless game of it. You were the one who decided to run with this and scream bloody murder that ALL players are somehow being victimized by my comments.
I remember a comment made by one of the announcers during a game. He referred to the guys on NFL rosters as guys being members of the "millionaires club." The fact is, after two years in the league, most of these guys have made more money than most of the posters out here will have made over the course of their lifetime. Plus, by and large, they've had access to what was essentially a free education, and have residual incomes that will be theirs over years to come. Most will also have access to other income sources, like getting paid tens of dollars just to sign their name on a piece of paper, a shirt, a football, or a helmet. For many, there will be money paid to them to speak at public locations, or to advertise products. They will also be offered jobs with nice incomes, if they want them, just because of their name recognition.

For those that fail to achieve this level, I offer my sympathy. But, they still got a hell of a lot more to start their lives than most of us who started by fighting for our nation in the military, went on to school and ended up in nearly hopeless debt, and have spent the rest of our days digging our way out, so we had a decent amount left to retire on.

So, I guess I'm one of those people that believes these guys need to learn how to live within affordable boundaries, just like the rest of us have had to do over the course of our lifetimes. It's what life is all about!

badmamba12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why packers didn’t go for ten yards at a time on last position make me think of offense coordinator coach with all are good receivers

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember a comment made by one of the announcers during a game. He referred to the guys on NFL rosters as guys being members of the "millionaires club." The fact is, after two years in the league, most of these guys have made more money than most of the posters out here will have made over the course of their lifetime. Plus, by and large, they've had access to what was essentially a free education, and have residual incomes that will be theirs over years to come. Most will also have access to other income sources, like getting paid tens of dollars just to sign their name on a piece of paper, a shirt, a football, or a helmet. For many, there will be money paid to them to speak at public locations, or to advertise products. They will also be offered jobs with nice incomes, if they want them, just because of their name recognition.

For those that fail to achieve this level, I offer my sympathy. But, they still got a hell of a lot more to start their lives than most of us who started by fighting for our nation in the military, went on to school and ended up in nearly hopeless debt, and have spent the rest of our days digging our way out, so we had a decent amount left to retire on.

So, I guess I'm one of those people that believes these guys need to learn how to live within affordable boundaries, just like the rest of us have had to do over the course of our lifetimes. It's what life is all about!
So if you were in the military how did you wind up in hopeless debt going to school. The military paid for all or most of all three of my degrees. Maybe you’re not the best one to lecture on living within affordable boundries LOL

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts