Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are upside down on the cap right now and are in a rebuild in a couple of seasons, if not next season.
In '22 the Packers are NOT upside down on the cap IF they trade AR and trade/cut P. Smith. A bit of creative cap management w/ J. Alexander and D. Adams (assuming he wants to stay) will be necessary to keep them both but do-able. I believe "the plan" all along since AR signed his new contract in '18 was that '22 was the year to move on from AR's massive cap hit AND savings.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
In '22 the Packers are NOT upside down on the cap IF they trade AR and trade/cut P. Smith. A bit of creative cap management w/ J. Alexander and D. Adams (assuming he wants to stay) will be necessary to keep them both but do-able. I believe "the plan" all along since AR signed his new contract in '18 was that '22 was the year to move on from AR's massive cap hit AND savings.
Hold up. Trading the MVP of the league and taking a cap hit of something like $35 million and cutting a starting OLB to get under the cap, then having to be creative with other contracts, isn't considered upside down in the cap?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold up. Trading the MVP of the league and taking a cap hit of something like $35 million and cutting a starting OLB to get under the cap, then having to be creative with other contracts, isn't considered upside down in the cap?
Thus the word "if".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on, "if" they trade him they have around $35 million in dead money. That's not a problem?
Don't change the topic.

He stated they would not be upsidedown with the cap. I took this to mean they are not over the cap.

$35M in dead money sucks in everyone's mind ( except AR and his banker I suppose), but can be factored in when structuring your cap number.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on, "if" they trade him they have around $35 million in dead money. That's not a problem?
Your information is wrong. www.overthecap.com clearly & concisely shows that AFTER the '21 season trading AR has $17.2Mil dead money but a cap savings of $22.648Mil, and Preston Smith (trade or cut) with $7.25Mil dead money but a cap savings of $12.5Mil. Those 2 cap savings amounts are $35.1Mil and they currently sit at $34.57Mil over the cap ~ putting them at $0.6Mil UNDER the cap heading into '22. The creative cap maneuvers are for extending Alexander, Adams & others (another WR or 2, Tonyan, ??) and the rookies.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No team is ever upside down with the cap IF they do something to get under it.

Krabs

Reaction score
Your information is wrong. www.overthecap.com clearly & concisely shows that AFTER the '21 season trading AR has $17.2Mil dead money but a cap savings of $22.648Mil, and Preston Smith (trade or cut) with $7.25Mil dead money but a cap savings of $12.5Mil. Those 2 cap savings amounts are $35.1Mil and they currently sit at $34.57Mil over the cap ~ putting them at $0.6Mil UNDER the cap heading into '22. The creative cap maneuvers are for extending Alexander, Adams & others (another WR or 2, Tonyan, ??) and the rookies.
Yes, after the season. My apologies, I was thinking if we traded him now. I would not be opposed to trading him after this upcoming season. I would like him to stick around for one more run at a Super Bowl this season. I'm on Over the Cap all the time and know the numbers as well. It would be much more cap friendly to trade Rodgers after this season.

Krabs

Reaction score
Don't change the topic.

He stated they would not be upsidedown with the cap. I took this to mean they are not over the cap.

$35M in dead money sucks in everyone's mind ( except AR and his banker I suppose), but can be factored in when structuring your cap number.
I'm not changing any subject. I was talking about if they traded him before this upcoming season, which I was talking about previously as well. Yes, they are currently not upside down in the cap. I'm talking next year. That's what I have been talking this whole time. This coming season. I didn't realize that @Pkrjones had changed the subject to the 2022 season.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUT you do NOT pay someone 10 million dollars a year when they require a HOF QB to throw them the ball to make any sort of impact.

Nelson made an impact with the Raiders 63 for 739 with an average qb...

No one has been saying they should of paid him $10 m but he was willing to play for say $5 m and add a guy opposite Adam's that year that put up 80 catches and 1000 yards with 10tds and idk but I think the team would of felt great about that 5 m spent...

And the bottom line is offering vet minimum is a case of if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I totally get this line of thinking. There is one thing that is not taken into account though. Rodgers, if anything, is super competitive. He is not going to go out there and not put in full effort. If anyone says, "well, look at this offseason". Sure, he skipped OTA's for the first time in his career. That's not a make or break on his competitiveness. He has said that he does not throw in the offseason because it is his break. That is nothing new. He works out still and keeps his body in shape, but doesn't throw. Come time to put those pads on he is not going to go anything less than 100%.

Like I said though, I get your thinking and I'm sick of his diva attitude. I want to ride one more year out with him and then let's see what happens. I'm personally not ready to move on, because like I said, this team is built to win now with him under center.
Yeah, its a real crap shoot in my mind if he plays and he is still "unsettled" on his feelings about doing that. I mean he still seems unsettled or he would have put this to bed already right?

So what happens if things start going a bit sour for the Packers during he season? Is he really going to still be a 100% U-Rah Rah Rah guy? We have seen countless times when just a few things go bad in a game, he gets all sour-**** and frustrated. His dislike of the organization is going to magnify that.

Again, I hope that doesn't happen and he is back and goes all in on trying to win a SB and they do win one. However, I think fans are fooling themselves to think that his coming to play for the Packers puts an end to this whole mess and there is no chance of it rearing its ugly head during the season.

Krabs

Reaction score
Yeah, its a real crap shoot in my mind if he plays and he is still "unsettled" on his feelings about doing that. I mean he still seems unsettled or he would have put this to bed already right?

So what happens if things start going a bit sour for the Packers during he season? Is he really going to still be a 100% U-Rah Rah Rah guy? We have seen countless times when just a few things go bad in a game, he gets all sour-**** and frustrated. His dislike of the organization is going to magnify that.

Again, I hope that doesn't happen and he is back and goes all in on trying to win a SB and they do win one. However, I think fans are fooling themselves to think that his coming to play for the Packers puts an end to this whole mess and there is no chance of it rearing its ugly head during the season.
It’s certainly does not put an end to it if he plays. It just goes into the next season.

Also, I believe MLF is bold enough to bench him. I think he walks the line pretty well where if you don’t perform he will give someone else a shot. It wouldn’t surprise me if he benched him. Super extreme, but if all is lost anyway & his attitude sucks, put Live in & see what you got.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it best if ARod plays for us at least two more years. But am willing to go with the flow. In my mind, the Saints did it pretty good with Breeze.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson made an impact with the Raiders 63 for 739 with an average qb...

No one has been saying they should of paid him $10 m but he was willing to play for say $5 m and add a guy opposite Adam's that year that put up 80 catches and 1000 yards with 10tds and idk but I think the team would of felt great about that 5 m spent...

And the bottom line is offering vet minimum is a case of if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all...
and then he was out of football. How much did he really have left? It was hardly a surprise after his season and his salary he was going to be cut. I knew it before it happened and I think a lot of others did too. The only mistake in the whole thing was giving that money to Graham who didn't earn it either.

They wanted to add a TE to the offense, so they did. They weren't keeping Jordy and signing a FA TE and I think it's obvious MLF doesn't want to run a 5WR wide open offense. I don't think he cares if we have more than 1 stand out WR if he doesn't have the other pieces he wants.

Reaction score
one less year of playing experience for Jordan and cost the Packers a bu++ load of cap money
Does bu++ mean… “Burp”? It kinda fit if you just beer burped right there.. mid thought. Just saying :eek:
I want to ride one more year out with him and then let's see what happens. I'm personally not ready to move on, because like I said, this team is built to win now with him under center.
I get that. Probably was the plan for GB to let him play 1 more year and possibly even 2 years if he played anywhere close to last season.

Reaction score
I think it best if ARod plays for us at least two more years. But am willing to go with the flow. In my mind, the Saints did it pretty good with Breeze.
Initially I think that was very possible from the FO perspective before all this mess. That plan would’ve still given GB a massive 1-2 year reprieve (post-Rodgers) because it would’ve fulfilled all Rodgers guaranteed and still allowed GB to get some trade equity in his final contract year.
Love’s meager $3mil salary in year 4 (2023) and a very reasonable 5th year option would likely recalibrate the Cap situation. They could have had both cake and eat it too (balance the books/give Rodgers more opportunities/groom Love) I’m near positive that was at least 1 of the projected paths on the table and a pretty reasonable one at that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Tbh

This is pissing me off....rodgers spill your **** guts already...JFC

100% of stuff can be put to bed if you make a ******* statement...or you are a diva and love this ****..

Others?

No one effing knows....Your guessing!!!

Everyone should just stop guessing..and ****

none of us truly know, unless you are that close to him.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
none of us truly know, unless you are that close to him.

Thats what I was trying to say when we got to the Favre/Tauscher thing...The guys that are "that close" are all saying he's gonna play for the Packers and pretty much have been throughout

Especially telling I think are comments from David Bakhtiari's pops, I don't think he just made that up out of thin air, clearly he talks to his son (chugging beers at the game together) and he was with Rodgers at the Kentucky Derby right after this news "broke"

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think most Packer fans wanted that 6 months ago, as probably did the organization. The problem is, Rodgers doesn't seem to want to play for an organization that doesn't have the same philosophies as he does.

How do you fix that?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thats what I was trying to say when we got to the Favre/Tauscher thing...The guys that are "that close" are all saying he's gonna play for the Packers and pretty much have been throughout

Especially telling I think are comments from David Bakhtiari's pops, I don't think he just made that up out of thin air, clearly he talks to his son (chugging beers at the game together) and he was with Rodgers at the Kentucky Derby right after this news "broke"
What did his dad say?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just heard a paraphrase on radio...but something like him (Rodgers) and David are the greatest of friends and he's not gonna pass up a chance to go win it with his friends...
Sounds like something a father would say and isn't much more than wishful thinking on his part. It's not equivalent to him saying something like "David has had some great conversations with Aaron, and based on those, David thinks Aaron is coming back to Green Bay."

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like something a father would say and isn't much more than wishful thinking on his part. It's not equivalent to him saying something like "David has had some great conversations with Aaron, and based on those, David thinks Aaron is coming back to Green Bay."

It implies to me, that David likely believes Rodgers is going to play, as I'm quite sure him and his pops have broached the subject whilst chugging beers

Members online