Anybody else hear this about the Broncos and Rodgers

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy who comes into my place of work every day said about 2 weeks ago that the Broncos gave Rodgers a deadline to make up his mind. He didn't say what the deadline was or where he heard it but I could find nothing mentioned anywhere of this.

It does beg the question though which came first the Rodgers decision or the Wilson trade. I know from what I saw the Rodgers decision was announced first and several hours before the Wilson trade so that is the order in which everyone assumes it happened but is it really.

It is possible, and I think lambo may have been alluding to this, that the Broncos got tired of waiting and decided to go the Wilson route. Its possible they got Wilson for less than what it would have cost to get Rodgers and the savings was too much to overlook. After all Wilson is 5 years (I think) younger and he is pretty good in his own right. It is also possible that Rodgers got wind of the trade (maybe someone called him as a friendly gesture) and told him and so he quickly made the decision (or it was made for him) to return to the Packers.

Now personally I don't believe any of this but it does make for an interesting alternate chain of events. My question is simply this. Regardless of what the facts may be or your opinions on them had anyone read or heard anything about the Broncos giving Rodgers a deadline to make up his mind.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even going back to last year I felt the most likely options were stay a Packer or retire. I don't think leaving was ever high on his list of things to do and was pretty unlikely.

So do I think the Broncos got tired of him waiting? I don't think it really mattered what the Broncos thought. Nothing i've seen thru any of this leads me to think he wanted out in any way so in my biased opinion, I don't think this was anything but A.Rodger's decision.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally thought what the Broncos offered was garbage. To me they could keep all 3 players they traded. Lock is awful. Fant is just fine. Harris has a big contract and is on the older side.

As for the picks #9 is just an ok pick in this class that lacks elite talent. The following year I’m likely getting late picks in each round.

I would have laughed in the phone had this been offered to me for Wilson or Rodgers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers loves being a Packer and is happy he can have his cake and eat it too. I think he wants to retire a Packer. GoPackGo

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Broncos ever offer terms to Packers?

Reports say their plan with Seahawks was in progress for more than a month.

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know when denver became a 'superbowl bound, just add quarterback' team?. They are far from the team manning joined. They had a #1 defense back then, they are below average today. Why would rodgers want to go to a lesser team at his age? This sounds like a buncha hooey created by overzealous denver fans + reporters. i mean it happened once with Peyton Manning, why couldnt it happen again? They could have offered him a contract in the neighborhood of mahomes, but I can't imagine this whole thing was about money. But who knows? only #12.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to know when denver became a 'superbowl bound, just add quarterback' team?. They are far from the team manning joined. They had a #1 defense back then, they are below average today. Why would rodgers want to go to a lesser team at his age? This sounds like a buncha hooey created by overzealous denver fans + reporters. i mean it happened once with Peyton Manning, why couldnt it happen again? They could have offered him a contract in the neighborhood of mahomes, but I can't imagine this whole thing was about money. But who knows? only #12.
Theyve got a really good offense absent a QB. Jeudy, Sutton, and Hamler make a good WR group. Theyve got a good young RB in Williams. Their offensive line is pretty good. I expect their offense to be really good wit Wilson. Defensively they got work to do. Theres pieces wit Simmon, Surtain, Chubb, and some solid LBs. Theyve got a solid team. An elite QB gives you a chance regardless of roster.

Reaction score
While anything is possible. I do believe Denver had genuine interest and I don’t think they were going to supercede the Packers monetary offer AND part with the draft capital in the Wilson trade. Not even for #12.
It’s just my opinion. Rodgers Gutebkunst traveled far in mending their relationship through several moves last season including Cobb and our successful campaign and now Clements.
Rodgers felt slighted initially and for good reasons over several recent seasons. The Packers realized they had mid-judged his ability to regain back to back MVP type stature and they swallowed pride and appeased him (which #12 did partly deserve). He not only showed he’s not on a decline, but he’s still the King of the hill.

I think Rodgers simply used Denver comments as a contract bargaining chip and as a safety net in the unlikely event things went sour with our FO. I don’t think it was ever his ideal landing spot there in Denver.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would have been interesting.
Having a former Packer working for the guy who defeated our team in a SB.

D

Deleted member 6794

A guy who comes into my place of work every day said about 2 weeks ago that the Broncos gave Rodgers a deadline to make up his mind. He didn't say what the deadline was or where he heard it but I could find nothing mentioned anywhere of this.

It does beg the question though which came first the Rodgers decision or the Wilson trade. I know from what I saw the Rodgers decision was announced first and several hours before the Wilson trade so that is the order in which everyone assumes it happened but is it really.

It is possible, and I think lambo may have been alluding to this, that the Broncos got tired of waiting and decided to go the Wilson route. Its possible they got Wilson for less than what it would have cost to get Rodgers and the savings was too much to overlook. After all Wilson is 5 years (I think) younger and he is pretty good in his own right. It is also possible that Rodgers got wind of the trade (maybe someone called him as a friendly gesture) and told him and so he quickly made the decision (or it was made for him) to return to the Packers.

Now personally I don't believe any of this but it does make for an interesting alternate chain of events. My question is simply this. Regardless of what the facts may be or your opinions on them had anyone read or heard anything about the Broncos giving Rodgers a deadline to make up his mind.

I had the impression that trading for Rodgers was the Broncos' preferred option but they had talks with the Seahawks about acquiring Wilson if Rodgers decided to stay in Green Bay as well. Once it was obvious that Rodgers wasn't available they moved forward with plan B.

I want to know when denver became a 'superbowl bound, just add quarterback' team?. They are far from the team manning joined. They had a #1 defense back then, they are below average today.

Theyve got a really good offense absent a QB. Jeudy, Sutton, and Hamler make a good WR group. Theyve got a good young RB in Williams. Their offensive line is pretty good. I expect their offense to be really good wit Wilson. Defensively they got work to do. Theres pieces wit Simmon, Surtain, Chubb, and some solid LBs. Theyve got a solid team.

The Broncos defense was the third best scoring unit last season while going 7-10.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sounds like a buncha hooey created by overzealous denver fans + reporters.
This is what I was thinking when he said it as well and not being able to find out anything like it from national sources kind of confirms it for me. It would be like The Big Unit making a comment about the Packers on whatever station he is on or Doug Bafoon commenting on the Bears on the Score(is he still on there). They are more or less local but some fans across the nation might pick up on it and there you go. More media BS.

coulomb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what I was thinking when he said it as well and not being able to find out anything like it from national sources kind of confirms it for me. It would be like The Big Unit making a comment about the Packers on whatever station he is on or Doug Bafoon commenting on the Bears on the Score(is he still on there). They are more or less local but some fans across the nation might pick up on it and there you go. More media BS.
Not to get too off topic, but i lived in chicago in the 90s and would listen to the score as a packer fan just for entertainment. doug buffone, dan jiggets, mike north, all complete bears homers, but oodles of entertainment being a fan of a rival team, that they absolutely hated.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to get too off topic, but i lived in chicago in the 90s and would listen to the score as a packer fan just for entertainment. doug buffone, dan jiggets, mike north, all complete bears homers, but oodles of entertainment being a fan of a rival team, that they absolutely hated.
traded for a 2nd and a 6th…. oops

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's all I listened to for a while too. Couldn't find any good stations for Packers talk so the next best thing was listening to the Bears homers cry about their teams.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unless the Broncos got permission from GB I don't think they can approach him like this person is suggesting without being fined for tampering. AR was not a FA or RFA.

OP
OP
S

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the Broncos got permission from GB I don't think they can approach him like this person is suggesting without being fined for tampering. AR is not a FA or RFA.
I think many are assuming Rodgers had permission to talk to certain teams. It was never announced publicly but it is possible.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard that..but its possible because rodgers himself said he would do it sooner than later

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While anything is possible. I do believe Denver had genuine interest and I don’t think they were going to supercede the Packers monetary offer AND part with the draft capital in the Wilson trade. Not even for #12.
It’s just my opinion. Rodgers Gutebkunst traveled far in mending their relationship through several moves last season including Cobb and our successful campaign and now Clements.
Rodgers felt slighted initially and for good reasons over several recent seasons. The Packers realized they had mid-judged his ability to regain back to back MVP type stature and they swallowed pride and appeased him (which #12 did partly deserve). He not only showed he’s not on a decline, but he’s still the King of the hill.

I think Rodgers simply used Denver comments as a contract bargaining chip and as a safety net in the unlikely event things went sour with our FO. I don’t think it was ever his ideal landing spot there in Denver.
Not sure I buy all this. Rodgers got back his old mojo after we drafted Love. He wasn't all that special from 2017-2019 except to probably the fantasy football geeks.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the mostly likely IMO.

All of this was just like dating. Denver sweet talked a couple of girls and so did Rodgers. They both had their preferences and when the music stopped, Rodgers went to the Packers and the Broncos went with Wilson.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless the Broncos got permission from GB I don't think they can approach him like this person is suggesting without being fined for tampering. AR was not a FA or RFA.
I also do not buy this tampering nonsense anymore either. Owned teams are so greedy I find it hard to believe they consistently follow these rules - both the players and the franchises use a third party to communicate so it is not considered illegal. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Not sure I buy all this. Rodgers got back his old mojo after we drafted Love. He wasn't all that special from 2017-2019 except to probably the fantasy football geeks.
Not sure what part you disagreed with because it sounds like we either agree or I’m really confused. Possibly even both :tup:

I said #12 regressed shortly before the Love draft selection and in turn you said that you didn’t buy that because Rodgers declined in (2017-2019)shortly before the Love selection. I’d just love to know you disagreed at this point because I’m really confused by that! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 6794

I also do not buy this tampering nonsense anymore either. Owned teams are so greedy I find it hard to believe they consistently follow these rules - both the players and the franchises use a third party to communicate so it is not considered illegal. Just my opinion.

I'm convinced there's a lot of tampering going on as well. I highly doubt an organization allows multiple players to talk to other teams before the start of free agency though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what part you disagreed with because it sounds like we either agree or I’m really confused. Possibly even both :tup:

I said #12 regressed shortly before the Love draft selection and in turn you said that you didn’t buy that because Rodgers declined in (2017-2019)shortly before the Love selection. I’d just love to know you disagreed at this point because I’m really confused by that! :laugh:
I don't buy most of your second paragraph. I don't think mgmt ever slighted Rodgers. He's a player on the team. He's not on the management team and I've seen enough to know I hope he is never on the Packers management team.

Members online

Latest posts