Rodgers knee and miss mosh stuff

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all will be on pins and needles the next couple days I’m sure...however we know Pat McKenzie is the most overprotective Dr. In the NFL as well as the Packers training staff. If they allowed Rodgers to go back into the game I don’t think anything is torn up in his knee...however I do feel like he has a sprained MCL/PCL. He can play with that injury...but he should definitely wear knee protection as it could be a lingering injury for most of the season.

His ability to throw hasn’t diminished...but forget seeing him run around for at least the next 3-4 weeks if he does play on it. Short timing routes and and max protection will definitely be on display if MM has any sense. The Jimmy Graham experiment may have to take a back seat in favor of Mercedes Lewis who is a way better blocker. They can flank him out wide but I hardly saw any of that last night as Khalil Mack and the Bears front gave us problems. So Graham was kept in his “traditional” tight end role. He can still be effective, but he’s going to have to help Block.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It just baffles me that it took Rodgers potentially going down for the season for McCarthy to make the adjustment with more quick strike offense, especially against Chicago's potent defensive front, namely Khalil Mack.

Rodgers was a sitting duck for much of the 1st half. Try that crap next week against Minnesota and it's quite likely that Rodgers will go down again at the hands of the Vikings.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It just baffles me that it took Rodgers potentially going down for the season for McCarthy to make the adjustment with more quick strike offense, especially against Chicago's potent defensive front, namely Khalil Mack.

Rodgers was a sitting duck for much of the 1st half.

If you’ve watched the Packers under MM long enough we understand that MM scripts all his plays, and it’s hard for him to adjust to really anything. I think he saw his time in GB flash before his eyes once Rodgers got hurt...imo this staff isn’t adequate enough to win with a backup QB and 6-10 was very much on the horizon meaning his time in GB coming to an end. Especially with Philly winning the SB with a backup..there wouldn’t have been ANY more excuses for him this year.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Rodgers was a sitting duck for much of the 1st half. Try that crap next week against Minnesota and it's quite likely that Rodgers will go down again at the hands of the Vikings.

I don't think any fan really knows that it's MM wanting those longer developing vertical plays, or Rodgers wanting to scramble around waiting to hit the big bomb.

Make no mistake, Rodgers even at his worst is still by far the best big play and on money passer. But I believe sometimes he can be his own worst enemy by trying to play the scramble in the pocket drill.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think any fan really knows that it's MM wanting those longer developing vertical plays, or Rodgers wanting to scramble around waiting to hit the big bomb.

Make no mistake, Rodgers even at his worst is still by far the best big play and on money passer. But I believe sometimes he can be his own worst enemy by trying to play the scramble in the pocket drill.

Not every play is a 15 yard dig, Fade, or Post. The Packers have plenty of crossing, comebacks and slant concepts in the playbook. They have a west coast offense for a reason. Those double moves only work when you connect on those shorter routes.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not every play is a 15 yard dig, Fade, or Post. The Packers have plenty of crossing, comebacks and slant concepts in the playbook. They have a west coast offense for a reason. Those double moves only work when you connect on those shorter routes.

And my point is MM doesn't have a remote control button telling Rodgers when to fire on those.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Ironically, I think the knee helped the offense because of him having to get the ball out faster. Rodgers is the goat, but he's not perfect. He tries to hold the ball too long. When he came back and started getting it out faster, the pace picked up, the offense moved, the Bears got tired, and they put up points. Then he had the opportunity to hold the ball because the rush had slowed down-- like when he maneuvered and hit Cobb for the 75 yarder.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I tend to think holding the ball is as much a result of Rodgers' tendencies as it is McCarthy's gameplan.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth to you (to all of you, I'm just some guy on the internet), but I happen to be married to a dual credentialed physical therapist/athletic trainer. She said that mechanism for injury suggests MCL, and that it must have been a minor MCL for him to come right back and play well. If she's right (and she's often right, guys; she married me, after all), Rodgers should be fine.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I tend to think holding the ball is as much a result of Rodgers' tendencies as it is McCarthy's gameplan.
There's some merit there, hence the "like" in the previous post. But let's also not forget that it took the Packers essentially the better part of the 2nd half of the season in 2015, and several weeks in 2016 to adjust to more quick strike offense. We've seen this movie before.

I'll concede that Rodgers plays a part in it, but it starts with McCarthy. He's always been known to lag behind in the adjustment department. I'm not sure the game plan would have changed much had Rodgers of not gotten hurt. Hate that it took the injury for the realization to be made.

I think that, expanding upon your point, Rodgers and McCarthy both want to be the same big play offense it was when Jordy was in his prime.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth to you (to all of you, I'm just some guy on the internet), but I happen to be married to a dual credentialed physical therapist/athletic trainer. She said that mechanism for injury suggests MCL, and that it must have been a minor MCL for him to come right back and play well. If she's right (and she's often right, guys; she married me, after all), Rodgers should be fine.
Thank you for sharing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's some merit there, hence the "like" in the previous post. But let's also not forget that it took the Packers essentially the better part of the 2nd half of the season in 2015, and several weeks in 2016 to adjust to more quick strike offense. We've seen this movie before.

I'll concede that Rodgers plays a part in it, but it starts with McCarthy. He's always been known to lag behind in the adjustment department. I'm not sure the game plan would have changed much had Rodgers of not gotten hurt. Hate that it took the injury for the realization to be made.

I think that, expanding upon your point, Rodgers and McCarthy both want to be the same big play offense it was when Jordy was in his prime.

I can agree with that. They both have their role in it. I wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers in a different offense at some point. However, for that to happen the Packers would have to fail, which obviously isn't ideal.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Having just suffered an MCL 2 months ago, and having watched that reply last night literally dozens of times, that's my gut feeling as well, and I even said it in shout last night. I just didn't see a likely way that that hit stressed the ACL that much, but it clearly would have stressed the MCL/LCL. The knee was bent sideways.

Course, we all could be wrong, because knees be funny like that. But in the absence of hard information, all we can do is make the best guess we can based on the information we have available, which is the replay and the fact that he did come back with at most a minimal brace.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can agree with that. They both have their role in it. I wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers in a different offense at some point. However, for that to happen the Packers would have to fail, which obviously isn't ideal.

You just hope that at some point, the two of them would learn from something like this. Use the **** and dunk to set up the long ball, and you'll still have plenty of chances to air it out for the highlight reels. It seems like once or twice every year, they play that way and have a lot of success, and afterward MM and Rodgers both talk about how well it worked, and then next week BAM - right back to that same predictable crap they've been running for 10 years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You just hope that at some point, the two of them would learn from something like this. Use the **** and dunk to set up the long ball, and you'll still have plenty of chances to air it out for the highlight reels. It seems like once or twice every year, they play that way and have a lot of success, and afterward MM and Rodgers both talk about how well it worked, and then next week BAM - right back to that same predictable crap they've been running for 10 years.

I think their offense is a double edged sword. It can be slow developing and predictable but also lends itself to the big plays that Rodgers has such a knack for. I agree with you that quick hitters should be a bigger part of the offense.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think their offense is a double edged sword. It can be slow developing and predictable but also lends itself to the big plays that Rodgers has such a knack for. I agree with you that quick hitters should be a bigger part of the offense.

I think either way though, the second half exposed how stupid the notion is that MM's schemes have no open receivers in them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think either way though, the second half exposed how stupid the notion is that MM's schemes have no open receivers in them.
The Allison TD was a throw that very few , if any, QBs can make, and the Cobb TD was a scramble drill without the scramble. Nobody ever doubted that the guys could run a few yards and get open, but I'm not sure that the vertical game would work with any other QB. Those windows are tight.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just about to come here and put up a new thread entitled The Rodgers/McCarthy Conundrum, which is what this thread should be titled. Glad I read this first.

I had friends on Facebook calling for MM’s head after the first quarter. We had a poster get banned because he was calling everyone morons for supporting “fatty Mcarthy”. For quite a few years many of us have been baffled by the lack of open receivers on what seems like the majority of Packer passing plays, at least until Rodgers scrambles, finds the finally open receiver and connects. Many people blame MM, which is in part correct. However, not enough people give equal blame to Rodgers which needs to be done.

The bottom line is that MM is a great coach and he is working with a generational talent at the QB position. However, due to Rodgers unique combination of mobility and pass accuracy, the team at times devolves into “sandlot” football, which is simply the way Rodgers plays the game. Because He is so good and basically doesn’t throw interceptions, many fans ignore Rodgers one flaw which is holding onto the ball waiting for big plays to develop. Admittedly, as far as flaws go, it is not all that bad.

With that said, the difference between the first half and the 2nd half was night and day. The 2nd half is the way this offense should ALWAYS operate. We have talent all over the offensive side of the ball. Rodgers, MM and Philbin need to have a “come to Jesus meeting” and realize they have the coaching minds, WR talent and obviously QB talent to make this offense a high performance supercar. I am not talking a Corvette ZR1, I am talking a Koenigsegg Agera, Hennessy Venom or a Bugatti Chiron. If you don’t understand the comparison, look it up. Bottom line though is the ZR1 is a beastly American made piece of machinery, the others are ungodly, insanely priced, unparalleled automobiles coveted by royalty and people worth billions. The ZR1 is perfectly acceptable, however if you have the means and ability, why not drop 2 million+ on a car with top speeds of 260 to 300mph.

Okay now that the analogy is over, I firmly believe that if those 3 get together and decide to quit ******** around and run the offense like they did the 2nd half instead of the first. This offense can perform at unheard of levels due the talent at WR, QB, and yes, even the coaching level. Was this all a little dramatic? Sure but I believe it is 100% accurate.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Honestly a big part of why the offense is so slow developing is because of Rodgers himself. Alot of times hes simply bypassing the short intermediate routes looking for the home run. This was even backed up by Rodgers saying MM didnt alter his play calling once he came back last night. Rodgers simply took the short stuff without looking for the home run

I know people want to put it all on MM but alot of it falls on Rodgers.

H

HardRightEdge

Having just suffered an MCL 2 months ago, and having watched that reply last night literally dozens of times, that's my gut feeling as well, and I even said it in shout last night. I just didn't see a likely way that that hit stressed the ACL that much, but it clearly would have stressed the MCL/LCL. The knee was bent sideways.
When I first saw that play I thought Rodgers twisted it before contact. I'm not entirely sure he didn't.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Honestly a big part of why the offense is so slow developing is because of Rodgers himself. Alot of times hes simply bypassing the short intermediate routes looking for the home run. This was even backed up by Rodgers saying MM didnt alter his play calling once he came back last night. Rodgers simply took the short stuff without looking for the home run

I know people want to put it all on MM but alot of it falls on Rodgers.

I agree. I said the same earlier in the thread.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers can tend to hold the ball...but it’s not like he’s intentionally doing it. The WRs take forever to get open. I’ve heard ppl say he’s looking for the big play all the time when he’s just simply going through his progressions. He misses guys sometimes yes, but he’s not intentionally holding the ball. I’m sure he’d rather get it out.

WiscoKOB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all will be on pins and needles the next couple days I’m sure...however we know Pat McKenzie is the most overprotective Dr. In the NFL as well as the Packers training staff. If they allowed Rodgers to go back into the game I don’t think anything is torn up in his knee...however I do feel like he has a sprained MCL/PCL. He can play with that injury...but he should definitely wear knee protection as it could be a lingering injury for most of the season.

His ability to throw hasn’t diminished...but forget seeing him run around for at least the next 3-4 weeks if he does play on it. Short timing routes and and max protection will definitely be on display if MM has any sense. The Jimmy Graham experiment may have to take a back seat in favor of Mercedes Lewis who is a way better blocker. They can flank him out wide but I hardly saw any of that last night as Khalil Mack and the Bears front gave us problems. So Graham was kept in his “traditional” tight end role. He can still be effective, but he’s going to have to help Block.

I agree that this could change his game going forward the next month or so. Protection is key, especially next week against a very solid Vikings defense. MM better come up with a game plan that protects Rodgers and uses his quick release and even quicker mental processing skills. His mind works so fast it's incredible to watch. Last year and part of last night showed that this team is driven by one individual and that person is not MM. Keep Rodgers healthy all year and he can help elevate the play of the offensive skills personnel, however, the O-line will really need to step up.

Members online

Latest posts