Rodgers "Have faith in the organization"

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

As long as he doesn`t jump in the Fox river to save any drowning babies :whistling:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, nobody is giving Rodgers a free pass. But if you would be able to take an objective look at the reasons why the Packers haven't won a Super Bowl over the past 11 seasons he would be pretty low on that list.

I guess Rodgers could save a drowning baby out of the Fox River and you would hate him for being an attention whore.
Illinois side or Wisconsin side?

Reaction score
This. All day long.

The QB gets all the glory and all the blame when the team loses. Yes, Rodgers didn't play a great game against SF but if we didn't have the worst ST in league history I feel we win that game 10-6.
If our ST was upper 50% we would’ve made the FG and to be fair we would’ve punted abs then allowed a FG scored on the ensuing drive. My argument is that if that Punt doesn’t get blocked? It’s around the 50 yard line and 4 down territory.. so I’d allow a FG on that drive where we gave up a TD on Special Teams. Our D was playing lights out in extreme cold. Also factor no time came off the clock on the SF TD. Had that punt gotten off. At least several minutes comes off the next drive and SF would never see that last series. Meaning no last FG for SF. GB sees the ball last in a worst case in a tie game and in 4 down territory with Timeouts. The tie breaker argument goes to GB

Most probable. It would be a 7 point swing if not for our egregious blocking.

GB 13 SF 9

and nobody’s complaining about Rodgers nearly as much. Wins go a long ways in fixing complaints.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This pretty much sums it up for me.

While I have been pretty critical of Rodgers in the last year, my criticism has been about his off the field behavior, not his on the field behavior. While I think his off the field stuff can effect his team in both a negative and positive way, his on the field stuff is why the Packers have been so good over the years. Remove Rodgers and this is a .500 team at best in the last 14 or so years.

Rodgers himself admits most of his on the field mistakes, I don't think he is afraid to do that. I also think some have gotten really "good" at trying to find flaws in his game and when they think they do (Lazard open against SF?), it is their way of saying "aha...see, this is why Rodgers sucks and he cost us yet another SB."

Yes, he deserves some of the blame in certain losses, but he also deserves a lot of the credit in many of the wins. While sometimes he looks like Superman on the field, he is a human, that makes mistakes, just like you and I. I hope his off the field stuff is over and we have another 2-4 years of watching one of the best QB's to play the game, take the Packers on some more runs towards a SB.
Remove Rodgers and this is a .500 team at best in the last 14 or so years.

This cannot truthfully be stated. The entire dynamics change if Aaron Rodgers had never been born. A different QB would have replaced Favre and the entire situation over the last 15 years would have been different. The only constant's would have been Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson. Aaron Rodgers doesn't operate in a vacuum.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This cannot truthfully be stated. The entire dynamics change if Aaron Rodgers had never been born. A different QB would have replaced Favre and the entire situation over the last 15 years would have been different. The only constant's would have been Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson. Aaron Rodgers doesn't operate in a vacuum.
Nor can the opposite be truthfully stated either. ;)

I would also say that MM and TT might not have been around had Rodgers not been born. Because if the team did go into a tailspin after Favre left, they wouldn't be around long.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or Football guru to see that Rodgers has carried this team on his back from day 1. Now had Rodgers not been born and they drafted Jay Cutler in 2006, you are right, it would have been a different team built around Cutler.

What we do know about really good QB's, they tend to elevate their teams. Now can an average or slightly above average QB do the same? Sure, but not that often.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Nor can the opposite be truthfully stated either. ;)

I would also say that MM and TT might not have been around had Rodgers not been born. Because if the team did go into a tailspin after Favre left, they wouldn't be around long.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist or Football guru to see that Rodgers has carried this team on his back from day 1. Now had Rodgers not been born and they drafted Jay Cutler in 2006, you are right, it would have been a different team built around Cutler.

What we do know about really good QB's, they tend to elevate their teams. Now can an average or slightly above average QB do the same? Sure, but not that often.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist or Football guru to see that Rodgers has carried this team on his back from day 1.

Totally incorrect imo. He didn't start "carrying this team" until 2011. That is 6 years after he was drafted. That is nowhere near day 1.

Reaction score
It doesn't take a rocket scientist or Football guru to see that Rodgers has carried this team on his back from day 1.

Totally incorrect imo. He didn't start "carrying this team" until 2011. That is 6 years after he was drafted. That is nowhere near day 1.
I disagree. #12 had a shootout with Warner and put up 45 points (2009) in a Wild Card contests. At some point our D needed to step it up. Yet he carried us to an 11-5 regular season record. He was carrying that team in his second season as a starter. No way does GB go 11-5 with an average QB.

The D really popped in 2010 and just made life easy, but we should by no means ding Rodgers for going on the Road and beating 4 good teams and bringing the Lombardi home. By 2011 Rodgers was already understood as the top QB in the league.

Obviously we can’t make a point arguing he should’ve carried a team as the backup QB (2005-2007).

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I would agree that in 2008, nobody carried the 6-10 Packers. However, as soon as Rodgers started playing at a Pro Bowl level in 2009 and lead the team to an 11-5, he had them on his back. We will have to disagree on this. ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree. #12 had a shootout with Warner and put up 45 points (2009) in a Wild Card contests. At some point our D needed to step it up. Yet he carried us to an 11-5 regular season record. He was carrying that team in his second season as a starter. No way does GB go 11-5 with an average QB.

The D really popped in 2010 and just made life easy, but we should by no means ding Rodgers for going on the Road and beating 4 good teams and bringing the Lombardi home. By 2011 Rodgers was already understood as the top QB in the league.

Obviously we can’t make a point arguing he should’ve carried a team as the backup QB (2005-2007).
We"ll have to agree to disagree. Imo the 2009 defense was approximately equal to the offense. Ryan Grant ran for over 1100 yards and 11 TD's so it wasn't all Rodgers. Rodgers did have a really good year to be sure though. That was the year Woodson was league DPOY.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We"ll have to agree to disagree. Imo the 2009 defense was approximately equal to the offense. Ryan Grant ran for over 1100 yards and 11 TD's so it wasn't all Rodgers. Rodgers did have a really good year to be sure though. That was the year Woodson was league DPOY.
Grant ran for 50 less yards in 2008 and the Packers were still 6-11. Rodgers on the other hand threw for 400+ yards more and 6 less interceptions in 2009. He also bumped his QBR up from 63.9 to 69.1. Rodgers took the necessary step in 2009 and was a big difference in a team that won 5 more games from his first season of starting.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant ran for 50 less yards in 2008 and the Packers were still 6-11. Rodgers on the other hand threw for 400+ yards more and 6 less interceptions in 2009. He also bumped his QBR up from 63.9 to 69.1. Rodgers took the necessary step in 2009 and was a big difference in a team that won 5 more games from his first season of starting.

Packers won the championship because they had the best defense in the NFL that year. Rodgers was a decent QB that year and was really good during the playoff run. An above average offense and elite defense were the keys to the title that year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree wholeheartedly. I just don't think he carried the team. His development was integral in the turn around.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Round and round it goes...its almost comicaL

Rodgers didnt score enough

Rodgers scored 45...but Def failed.

Its a ****ing team game

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remove Rodgers and this is a .500 team at best in the last 14 or so years.

I don’t think he was positing a “butterfly effect scenario”. His point was simply that the Packers team as it is/ has been has had shortcomings that are not named Aaron Rodgers.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Did I mention I`m a retired rocket scientist ? learned at night school. Have a great day ;).

D

Deleted member 6794

Our D was playing lights out in extreme cold.

While that's true for most of the game they once again didn't with the game on the line.

The Niners got the ball on their own 29 with 3:20 left and were able to drive 44 yards on eight plays before Gould kicked the field goal.

Yet nobody is mentioning they deserve part of the blame for the loss as well.

At least several minutes comes off the next drive and SF would never see that last series. Meaning no last FG for SF. GB sees the ball last in a worst case in a tie game and in 4 down territory with Timeouts.

Actually if the Packers were able to make the field goal and didn't give up that blocked punt for a touchdown they would have led by at least three points getting the ball back for the last series.

Just for the record, I don't think Rodgers was carrying the team in 2009 either as the defense was pretty good in the regular season, finishing seventh in points allowed.

Of course they played terrible in the playoff game at Arizona.

The D really popped in 2010 and just made life easy, but we should by no means ding Rodgers for going on the Road and beating 4 good teams and bringing the Lombardi home.

Rodgers actually played great in three of those playoff games but got bailed out by the defense in the NFCCG at Chicago.

Packers won the championship because they had the best defense in the NFL that year. Rodgers was a decent QB that year and was really good during the playoff run.

Rodgers was definitely better than decent in the 2010 regular season, ranking third in passer rating.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was definitely better than decent in the 2010 regular season, ranking third in passer rating.

Y'know what? You're right. I tend to remember 2010 relative to his years since. 6th in passing TDs, 18th in INTs, 7th in yards, and 2nd in yards per attempt.

Reaction score
Just for the record, I don't think Rodgers was carrying the team in 2009 either as the defense was pretty good in the regular season, finishing seventh in points allowed.
For the true record?

In 2009, Aaron Rodgers and Co. scored a Franchise record 461 points in the regular season. In achieving that, Aaron Rodgers surpassed the 1996 Packers #1 rated SB Champion Offense (456). I’d say that 100% qualifies for “carrying your team”.

To Pokers assertion, #12 has been great from the onset of his career. He did that in his 2nd year as a starter. Then to erase any doubters? He wins a SB the next season, then goes on to lead one of the most prolific Offenses in NFL history (2011). All that in 3 consecutive seasons and in his first 4 seasons as a starter.

If that’s not starting strong? I don’t know what is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That said. Just watched a couple of quarters of Rodgers in preseason in 2005. Wow did he look awful his Rookie season. He really did.

The commentators made mention of Favre “and that’s what makes Favre so great .. Rodgers makes the wrong read and the wrong throw… Favre wouldn’t do that”. “This young receiver just doesn’t expect the holes to open like a veteran would”.

That just reminded me how people who have no direct experience in professional sports mid-judge, pre-judge potential and have no earthly idea how to properly evaluate a player. They have one objective. Say what it takes to play it safe. Pet the proven veterans and constantly question those early in a career. Thank the Lord they didn’t write Aaron Rodgers off early on.

I also totally forgot Drew Brees backed up Philip Rivers there in San Diego. Brees looked much better than Rodgers and with good reason. He had just had most of a season of experience under his belt. He had just come back from a serious injury.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts