Riley Cooper?

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is likely the group would have had better stats if Jordy played. But Jordy playing is not going to make them focus betterand , run crisper routes, sync with Rodgers better, and hold onto the ball better. More times during the season when a play broke down and I watched the WR, I thought it to be a WR mistake/deficiency and not a coverage issue.

We will never be able to prove one way or the other.

From your perspective, did you see a drop off in the individual WRs performance? Not stats, I mean their ability to effectively play the position.

With Jordy being out, I think it told us that we have a bunch of average to above average WR's. Which isn't a bad thing mind you when Jordy is around, but it becomes a problem when Jordy isn't around. Just think where Dallas would be without Dez in the lineup.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is a thread like this going to be made for every player that becomes available? I think GB has met their white receiver quota. :D

if your new here, then yes..

Every player that someone recognizes- a thread will be made wanting to sign them

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its clear that you didn't even read my post.

I read your post. And I quoted what you said in your post, and yes the recievers weren't getting open. I understand. I was saying that we are deep at WR. There is no point in wasting a draft pick on a WR and trying to mold him before next season when we have perfectly capable WRs already. The routes will get better as Rodgers has more time to allow the play to develop. That's the way he has always done it. Stretched the play out to allow seperation from the secondary and then make big plays.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Jordy being out, I think it told us that we have a bunch of average to above average WR's. Which isn't a bad thing mind you when Jordy is around, but it becomes a problem when Jordy isn't around. Just think where Dallas would be without Dez in the lineup.
That's the case with every team, though. I thought the coaching staff did a poor job working with what we've got. Ted Ginn wasn't on the field because of his excellent route running skills or hands, but because he could stretch the field and make the offense more dynamic. They could have at least sucked up their pride and used Janis on more than just the occasional Hail Mary. They should have gotten more speed at the position to begin with.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand the concept and Jordys loss was felt. It was captwimm who made up the stuff that I didnt think it was important.

Really??? Here´s what you wrote in a previous post:

If you watch the games and watch our WRs you would understand. Last year they were not as able to get separation, dropped more passes, and just seemed out of sync with AR compared to last season. And that had nothing to do with Jordy being out. It had everything to do with what was going on in the head of Cobb, adams, and the other WRs.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really??? Here´s what you wrote in a previous post:
I think you are a smart person who posts interesting stuff at times. Then there are times when you appear to just want to argue. Im not sure if its a reading comprehension issue or a delibert attempt to misrepresent. Sometimes I think you dont read the entire post at all. You go into it looking for how ti disagree.

First of all this post was made after my response and not even the reference. My original post stated I thought coaching was more to blame. You completely misrepresented my post by implying that I thought Jordys loss was unimportant.

Secondly, my post you referenced. Please read it again. Now, explain how if an open wr drops a pass in his hands it is because of coverage. Also how a player runs a wrong route it is because of coverage. These are all skills independant of what the defense is doing and does not have anything to do with what the defense is doing. These are skills that need sharpening and refinement through coaching. And that appears to be suffering.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all this post was made after my response and not even the reference. My original post stated I thought coaching was more to blame. You completely misrepresented my post by implying that I thought Jordys loss was unimportant.

Secondly, my post you referenced. Please read it again. Now, explain how if an open wr drops a pass in his hands it is because of coverage. Also how a player runs a wrong route it is because of coverage. These are all skills independant of what the defense is doing and does not have anything to do with what the defense is doing. These are skills that need sharpening and refinement through coaching. And that appears to be suffering.

Well, according to Sporting Charts, the only website I know tracking dropped passes, the Packers receivers dropped fewer passes last year (23) than in 2014 (24). I agree that coaching, especially not having a designated WR coach, was part of the problem but the lack of talent without Nelson was the most important reason for the passing offense struggling.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thank you on Riley Cooper, but I'm really intrigued with OSU WR Braxton Miller. He has the athletic ability to be an amazing receiver. I think he's currently a tad under-rated, but a strong combine will make him a 2nd round pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

No thank you on Riley Cooper, but I'm really intrigued with OSU WR Braxton Miller. He has the athletic ability to be an amazing receiver. I think he's currently a tad under-rated, but a strong combine will make him a 2nd round pick.

Miller is already regarded a second-round pick by several experts. He for sure has the athletic ability to turn into a productive receiver in the NFL but he could as well become a bust. Tough to predict with his limited playing time as a WR.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Miller is already regarded a second-round pick by several experts. He for sure has the athletic ability to turn into a productive receiver in the NFL but he could as well become a bust. Tough to predict with his limited playing time as a WR.

IMO Miller's Weaknesses stand out more then his strengths and maybe he will be a big boom for someone but I wouldn't like seeing the Packers use a #2 on him when there are higher needs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824414/braxton-miller

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's the interesting part. He could be Matt Jones 2.0 or he could be a monster. 6'1", 205 lbs. is great size for a receiver.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO Miller's Weaknesses stand out more then his strengths and maybe he will be a big boom for someone but I wouldn't like seeing the Packers use a #2 on him when there are higher needs.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824414/braxton-miller

I actually don't have problem with the pick due to his upside. I can't get excited anymore over average defensive linemen or rotational pass rushers. I'm open to whoever comes in the draft regardless of position. Plus TT has never been a draft for need guy.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's the interesting part. He could be Matt Jones 2.0 or he could be a monster. 6'1", 205 lbs. is great size for a receiver.

Well, he's probably the fastest guy of the top receivers in this year's class as well but I don't expect him to be able to contribute immediately at the pro level. It's anybody's guess how he will develop and a second-round pick is a pretty large investment in a WR needing a ton of development.

D

Deleted member 6794

Plus TT has never been a draft for need guy.

We've discussed that at length on this forum in the past, so I don't want to get too deep into this topic. But don't fool yourself, Thompson, like every other GM, factors need into a selection. As an example take a look at the 2012 draft class.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've discussed that at length on this forum in the past, so I don't want to get too deep into this topic. But don't fool yourself, Thompson, like every other GM, factors need into a selection. As an example take a look at the 2012 draft class.

I agree that need is always a factor in decision making.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can never have enough pass rushers and DB's. So overdrafting at those positions is no big deal IMO.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not saying pick up the guy. All I'm saying is don't overlook anyone and any position. As soon as we become complacent with a position, we will be in trouble. This past year, WRs were supposed to be the strength of the team. Look at how the season shaped up.

No one is overlooking him. We are looking at him and saying no thank you. Just as Ted will do with every FA on the list. Look at I mean not necessarily say no thank you although that is also highly likely. You always look to ways to improve your team and you look for players that will do that. If all the stars align you sign the guy and if they stay in alignment it works out and your team gets better. Just because a guy has better stats than the lowest guy on your team however does not mean that signing him will make your team better. There are several WRs, who I think would make our team better and Riley Cooper isn't one of them.