Riley Cooper?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riley Cooper 2015 stats:

16 games played, 21 catches for 327 yards and 2 touchdowns.

James Jones 2015 stats:

16 games played, 50 catches for 890 yards and 8 touchdowns.

I don't see Cooper as an upgrade.
The guy throwing the ball makes a bit of a difference. All of the Eagles receivers struggled last year.

But you're right. We don't need him.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, we do need to bring in another WR and stop relying on "Next Year's Potential" which may or may not pan out. At this point, I'd rather have a known than an unknown.

With Jordy returning and the unit hopefully not suffering that many injuries in 2016 we should be fine at the position. There are more pressing needs on the team that have to be addressed.

I dont think the loss of Jordy was as big of an effect as the loss of WR coach Edgar Bennett. I think the WRs will be better as Bennett pays more attention to his old duties and That coach develops as well.

Losing Nelson was devastating, not sure how any Packers fan could feel differently after watching them struggle for most of the 2015 season. There´s no doubt in my mind that the team needs a receivers coach going into next season but so far McCarthy hasn´t announced any changes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
There´s no doubt in my mind that the team needs a receivers coach going into next season but so far McCarthy hasn´t announced any changes.
So far this is the shocker "off season non-change" to me. Why is Van Pelt still the WR coach? As a whole, the unit was pretty bad and you have to think some of that is on their coach. I realize all the moves last year with Bennett and Van Pelt were an attempt to retain both as Packer coaches, but putting a career QB guy in charge of the WR's seems to have failed in this case. Hopefully, they are just trying to work out the logistics and replacement, but if we start the 2016 season with Van Pelt still coaching QB's and WR's, even the return of Jordy doesn't give me a ton of confidence with the unit under Van Pelt's guidance.

D

Deleted member 6794

So far this is the shocker "off season non-change" to me. Why is Van Pelt still the WR coach? As a whole, the unit was pretty bad and you have to think some of that is on their coach. I realize all the moves last year with Bennett and Van Pelt were an attempt to retain both as Packer coaches, but putting a career QB guy in charge of the WR's seems to have failed in this case. Hopefully, they are just trying to work out the logistics and replacement, but if we start the 2016 season with Van Pelt still coaching QB's and WR's, even the return of Jordy doesn't give me a ton of confidence with the unit under Van Pelt's guidance.

I don´t think Van Pelt having played QB was the problem with him coaching the receivers. As you know Bennett was a running back during his NFL career, so having played the position isn´t a requirement. The Packers have to get a coach solely responsible for coaching the WRs though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don´t think Van Pelt having played QB was the problem with him coaching the receivers. As you know Bennett was a running back during his NFL career, so having played the position isn´t a requirement. The Packers have to get a coach solely responsible for coaching the WRs though.

Which is why I said "appears to have failed in this case". The Packers are very high on Van Pelt and used his contract to block a few attempts to be interviewed for coaching positions last year. At the time, I saw the move of Bennett to OC and Van Pelt to QB/WR coach as a smart front office move to retain 2 valued coaches. However, after the performance of the offense and the WR's this year with all the same players, less Jordy, one has to wonder if Bennett and Van Pelt (toss in Clements) are in the right positions.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Jordy returning and the unit hopefully not suffering that many injuries in 2016 we should be fine at the position. There are more pressing needs on the team that have to be addressed.

Losing Nelson was devastating, not sure how any Packers fan could feel differently after watching them struggle for most of the 2015 season. There´s no doubt in my mind that the team needs a receivers coach going into next season but so far McCarthy hasn´t announced any changes.
If you watch the games and watch our WRs you would understand. Last year they were not as able to get separation, dropped more passes, and just seemed out of sync with AR compared to last season. And that had nothing to do with Jordy being out. It had everything to do with what was going on in the head of Cobb, adams, and the other WRs.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the lack of a true WR coach hurt things a lot. Those guys just didnt play fundamentally sound and relied too much on the improv scramble drill stuff. I see the benefit in having qb's and wr's in the same meeting but it didnt help anyone's route running or hands.

Interested to see who will coach wr's this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

If you watch the games and watch our WRs you would understand. Last year they were not as able to get separation, dropped more passes, and just seemed out of sync with AR compared to last season. And that had nothing to do with Jordy being out. It had everything to do with what was going on in the head of Cobb, adams, and the other WRs.

It had a lot to do with Jordy being out. Defenses were able to shift coverage towards Cobb and without having to respect the deep ball were able to press our receivers at the LOS (something our receivers weren´t able to handle at all) and bring another safety into the box. Nelson would have drawn coverages his way and forced teams to play in two high safety formations more often.

If you really believe Nelson out not being one of the primary reason for the offense struggling last season you should go back and watch some 2014 games, maybe you would understand.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the press coverage bit... Our wr's have NEVER been able to handle press coverage. It stifles them without fail. Theyve always played like ballerinas in this area.

D

Deleted member 6794

As for the press coverage bit... Our wr's have NEVER been able to handle press coverage. It stifles them without fail. Theyve always played like ballerinas in this area.

There´s no denying about that but without Nelson teams were able to play way more press coverage than in previous years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So I am just curious of what others think here. All year long the common denominator when talking about the Packer receivers (TE included) is that they can't shake free from press coverage. Fans talk about it and broadcasters talked about it being the new way to successfully defense the Green Bay Packers. Why does it work? Do people think its due to: The loss of Jordy, lack of talent at the position, due to poor coaching fundamentals, lack of creative play calling to force defenses off this type of coverage, or a combination of all/some of the above? Because until the Packers can figure that out, other teams will continue to do it.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just how we had Adams this year? If we learned anything this year, you never stop upgrading. Even when you think you have a solid player. I'm not saying Riley is an upgrade, but it would be a mistake to overlook him and any other player that could be a potential upgrade.

He has the look of an average journeyman, next!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could go to 4 White sets all game long, 5 Whites if you replace RR with Perillo.

But no thanks. I'd rather bring JJ back

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does white or black have to do with anything?
Nothing except a stupid attempt at a lame joke, instead of 5 wides, we go 5 whites. Get it? I know, ****ing stupid, but I said it anyway. maybe it would have been more funny played in Alabama?

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the look of an average journeyman, next!
I'm not saying pick up the guy. All I'm saying is don't overlook anyone and any position. As soon as we become complacent with a position, we will be in trouble. This past year, WRs were supposed to be the strength of the team. Look at how the season shaped up.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy being in the game opens it up for other WR's and TE's. We did not have a single WR or TE that defenses had to game plan around. None of our WR's or TE's scared anyone. Teams played us extremely vanilla on defense. Teams pretty much ran their man to man base D against us and shut us down. Every defense played us the same way.

With Jordy on the field (or any true #1 WR for that matter in the league) - Defenses have to game plan around them and roll coverage's their way. This opens it up for other guys to have really good opportunities.

So yes, Jordy being out hurt what we we were trying to do offensively. All the sudden, players were placed into roles they weren't used to. After defenses figured out we didn't have a legit threat, it was lights out for us and inconsistency came forth.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what your saying is let Janis and Abby go? I agree that the recievers weren't getting open, but we the OL as a whole only played together 8 out of 16 games healthy this year. Rodgers was rushed so much he didn't have the time to allow the plays to develop like he did with his normal recieving corps. I agree having Jordy back will push the rest of the recievers to show out more, however there are other positions that require more attention than WR right now. I could see them looking to free agency to pick someone up but wouldn't think they would waste a draft pick on a WR. And I agree that the recievers were dropping a LOT of catchable balls, but it will be interesting to see what they deem necessary as far as who to keep and who to let go to free up money and/or who is worth keeping to try and better their ability. I still see a big change coming in all the recievers as soon as Jordy returns, sometimes it takes that leader and Jordy is definitely the go-to guy out of the recievers.

Its clear that you didn't even read my post.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All year long the common denominator when talking about the Packer receivers (TE included) is that they can't shake free from press coverage. Fans talk about it and broadcasters talked about it being the new way to successfully defense the Green Bay Packers. Why does it work?
Wide receiver strength. Strong wide receivers can fight through press coverage and still run their routes. DBs usually have leverage to deliver a shot to the chest at the line of scrimmage because they are more compact/shorter. A strong WR can knock those jams away and fight through them as they run. Quick twitch WRs can avoid the jams all together. Obviously a WR who can do either is a nightmare to defend.

IMO, our two strongest WRs were James Jones and Ty Montgomery. Jones has very strong legs but no longer has the speed. Montgomery was barely on the field. Abbrederis is skinny and really needs to bulk up. Janis is a physical clone of Jordy so speed is his current asset, but also could get stronger. Cobb is strong and seems to bust my position. Yet, I think overall our receiver group did not run hard. Cobb, Adams, and Jones often looked as if they were jogging the mandatory mile in gym class, versus sprinting their fastest to beat their opponents.

The strength coaches really need to work with these guys. You can be strong and fast all at the same time. It's what makes most of the elite receivers these days elite.

D

Deleted member 6794

So I am just curious of what others think here. All year long the common denominator when talking about the Packer receivers (TE included) is that they can't shake free from press coverage. Fans talk about it and broadcasters talked about it being the new way to successfully defense the Green Bay Packers. Why does it work? Do people think its due to: The loss of Jordy, lack of talent at the position, due to poor coaching fundamentals, lack of creative play calling to force defenses off this type of coverage, or a combination of all/some of the above? Because until the Packers can figure that out, other teams will continue to do it.

I think after it became clear the Packers receivers had huge troubles dealing with press coverage (the reasons being well described by El Gaupo) the coaches deserve blame for not getting more creative with route combinations.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy being in the game opens it up for other WR's and TE's. We did not have a single WR or TE that defenses had to game plan around. None of our WR's or TE's scared anyone. Teams played us extremely vanilla on defense. Teams pretty much ran their man to man base D against us and shut us down. Every defense played us the same way.

With Jordy on the field (or any true #1 WR for that matter in the league) - Defenses have to game plan around them and roll coverage's their way. This opens it up for other guys to have really good opportunities.

So yes, Jordy being out hurt what we we were trying to do offensively. All the sudden, players were placed into roles they weren't used to. After defenses figured out we didn't have a legit threat, it was lights out for us and inconsistency came forth.
I understand the concept and Jordys loss was felt. It was captwimm who made up the stuff that I didnt think it was important.

My only point was, if you read my post that started this, is that change in coaches was a bigger effect. To my eye, the WRs were not as sharp running routes, gaining seperation, hanging onto the ball, and again seemed disjointed with AR. None of these, except maybe seperation, had anything to do with rolled coverages or what the defense was doing

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the concept and Jordys loss was felt. It was captwimm who made up the stuff that I didnt think it was important.

My only point was, if you read my post that started this, is that change in coaches was a bigger effect. To my eye, the WRs were not as sharp running routes, gaining seperation, hanging onto the ball, and again seemed disjointed with AR. None of these, except maybe seperation, had anything to do with rolled coverages or what the defense was doing

But defenses do different things when your stud #1 WR isn't playing, plain and simple. A lot of what your saying there is a byproduct of Jordy not being on the field. If Jordy played the whole year, Cobb would have likely caught around 85-90 balls and had over 1000 yards receiving. There is a certain synergy to the whole offense when your stud playermakers play.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But defenses do different things when your stud #1 WR isn't playing, plain and simple. A lot of what your saying there is a byproduct of Jordy not being on the field. If Jordy played the whole year, Cobb would have likely caught around 85-90 balls and had over 1000 yards receiving. There is a certain synergy to the whole offense when your stud playermakers play.
I think it is likely the group would have had better stats if Jordy played. But Jordy playing is not going to make them focus betterand , run crisper routes, sync with Rodgers better, and hold onto the ball better. More times during the season when a play broke down and I watched the WR, I thought it to be a WR mistake/deficiency and not a coverage issue.

We will never be able to prove one way or the other.

From your perspective, did you see a drop off in the individual WRs performance? Not stats, I mean their ability to effectively play the position.

Members online

Latest posts