Riley Cooper?

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was just released by the Eagles. Big target who can go and get the ball. Thoughts? Would he be good opposite Jordy?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was just released by the Eagles. Big target who can go and get the ball. Thoughts? Would he be good opposite Jordy?

Price would have to be beneficial to us shutting down the development of our youthful WRs in Adams and Janis

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is a thread like this going to be made for every player that becomes available? I think GB has met their white receiver quota. :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember. Is he the one that was yelling unflattering things about black people a few years ago? If so, that's a character flaw that's not worth having in our locker room. Vince wouldn't have tolerated it either.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if a crap team cuts him, what does that tell you?

Means nothing. Could be the system he was in. Could be that he fell out of favor by the staff. Could be many things. Cooper was having some very good seasons before last year. But then again, so was every Eagle before Chip started his wholesale trading spree.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Means nothing. Could be the system he was in. Could be that he fell out of favor by the staff. Could be many things. Cooper was having some very good seasons before last year. But then again, so was every Eagle before Chip started his wholesale trading spree.

My Riley Cooper memory is of Tramon Williams stepping in front of him to pick off Michael Vick in the end zone and seal a playoff win in Philly. That was the first stop on the Magic Carpet Ride of 2010.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Riley Who? We got Janis!
Just how we had Adams this year? If we learned anything this year, you never stop upgrading. Even when you think you have a solid player. I'm not saying Riley is an upgrade, but it would be a mistake to overlook him and any other player that could be a potential upgrade.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just how we had Adams this year? If we learned anything this year, you never stop upgrading. Even when you think you have a solid player. I'm not saying Riley is an upgrade, but it would be a mistake to overlook him and any other player that could be a potential upgrade.

As alluded to by EG above, Cooper has had a few questionable character incidents in his life (on and off the field) and not really all that productive of a career. If its veteran camp bodies, to compete for roster spots we are looking for, I hope GB can do better than Cooper. James Jones comes to mind.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Character concerns aside, he's just not that good; I couldn't even see justifying signing him over bringing back Jones. Pass.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Character concerns aside, he's just not that good; I couldn't even see justifying signing him over bringing back Jones. Pass.

Riley Cooper 2015 stats:

16 games played, 21 catches for 327 yards and 2 touchdowns.

James Jones 2015 stats:

16 games played, 50 catches for 890 yards and 8 touchdowns.

I don't see Cooper as an upgrade.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And our current stable of WRs have shown far more upsize and production.

Folks are down on Adams because of his 'bad' season. Yet in 6 seasons, Cooper only had more receptions (by 5) in one season than Adams had this season. In fact, Adams had almost as many (38) receptions as a rookie than Cooper had in his first 3 season (46).

Packers had 3 WRs with more catches than Cooper and if Montgomery and Nelson didn't get hurt there would have been 2 more.

We don't need him. I doubt he would make the team.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Janis will do some good things and make plays with some work in the offseason and more looks at practice. He is fast and has some decent hands. I think our WR quota is full and we can definitely work with what we have. Wasn't a problem the year before this one, just have to protect AR and allow him to find the wide open recievers to make these bigger plays.

OP
OP
Vrill

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Janis will do some good things and make plays with some work in the offseason and more looks at practice. He is fast and has some decent hands. I think our WR quota is full and we can definitely work with what we have. Wasn't a problem the year before this one, just have to protect AR and allow him to find the wide open recievers to make these bigger plays.

Yet we saw a systematic breakdown of our WR's after Jordy went down and Rodgers having trust issues with who we had left. We didn't have WR's who could consistently beat man to man press coverage. Janis was a non factor and basing his future off of what he did in Arizona (one game) is asinine. Fact is, when Jordy went down, our WR core was slow, ran bad routes, had drops galore and couldn't get open consistently.

Cobb's stats are 100% predicated on having Jordy on the field to open it up for him. We saw that Cobb isn't a #1.

Our WR situation isn't as good as some people tend to think it is. We need a legit #2 WR across from Jordy. We don't need "Next Year's Potential". We saw where that led us this past year. If our WR core was so good, we wouldn't have seen the struggles that we did. A lot of Rodgers sacks were coverage sacks. So don't place the full blame on the OL. The WR's are to blame too.

Now, I'm not saying Cooper is that guy. It was just a suggestion. However, we do need to bring in another WR and stop relying on "Next Year's Potential" which may or may not pan out. At this point, I'd rather have a known than an unknown.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet we saw a systematic breakdown of our WR's after Jordy went down and Rodgers having trust issues with who we had left. We didn't have WR's who could consistently beat man to man press coverage. Janis was a non factor and basing his future off of what he did in Arizona (one game) is asinine. Fact is, when Jordy went down, our WR core was slow, ran bad routes, had drops galore and couldn't get open consistently.

Cobb's stats are 100% predicated on having Jordy on the field to open it up for him. We saw that Cobb isn't a #1.

Our WR situation isn't as good as some people tend to think it is. We need a legit #2 WR across from Jordy. We don't need "Next Year's Potential". We saw where that led us this past year. If our WR core was so good, we wouldn't have seen the struggles that we did. A lot of Rodgers sacks were coverage sacks. So don't place the full blame on the OL. The WR's are to blame too.

Now, I'm not saying Cooper is that guy. It was just a suggestion. However, we do need to bring in another WR and stop relying on "Next Year's Potential" which may or may not pan out. At this , I'd rather have a known than an unknown.
Bringing in a new guy is entirely a potential based decision. Packers will have a better projection on their experienced players.

I dont think the loss of Jordy was as big of an effect as the loss of WR coach Edgar Bennett. I think the WRs will be better as Bennett pays more attention to his old duties and That coach develops as well.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now, I'm not saying Cooper is that guy. It was just a suggestion. However, we do need to bring in another WR and stop relying on "Next Year's Potential" which may or may not pan out. At this point, I'd rather have a known than an unknown.

So what your saying is let Janis and Abby go? I agree that the recievers weren't getting open, but we the OL as a whole only played together 8 out of 16 games healthy this year. Rodgers was rushed so much he didn't have the time to allow the plays to develop like he did with his normal recieving corps. I agree having Jordy back will push the rest of the recievers to show out more, however there are other positions that require more attention than WR right now. I could see them looking to free agency to pick someone up but wouldn't think they would waste a draft pick on a WR. And I agree that the recievers were dropping a LOT of catchable balls, but it will be interesting to see what they deem necessary as far as who to keep and who to let go to free up money and/or who is worth keeping to try and better their ability. I still see a big change coming in all the recievers as soon as Jordy returns, sometimes it takes that leader and Jordy is definitely the go-to guy out of the recievers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts