Revisiting the Worthy trade now...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is. 20/20 but I bet TT wishes he would've held on to Worthy just a little longer. Raji is done in Packer land for sure now with his injury sidelining him for the season but having Jerel Worthy would have made things a little easier from a depth standpoint.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Since they are completely different players, I don't think Raji's injury has anything to do with trading Worthy. Certainly you aren't saying Worthy would have even taken a snap at NT, and the Packers have better options for the positions Worthy did play. IMO if Raji's injury would have happened before the Worthy trade, the trade would have still been made.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Thompson isn't regretting that at all. He got a longer chance to look at players without having Worthy take up valuable game snaps.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keeping Worthy would only have added to the crowd in the trainer's room. His Achille's heel was his entire body.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

I do not generally agree how TT runs the Packers. I do support the players that the team fields. Yet consider how many key players the Packers have lost over the years due to management not being willing to pay to keep those players. I just breaks my heart when I see former Packers playing for other teams. Especially when their replacement is simply a bust. J.Peppers is a great pick up, but he is an exception to the rule. I usually get slammed in this forum for criticizing TT, but this season the Packers are very close to the promised land . Using that same OLD tired reasoning of looking to the future or that they are too poor to trade for high quality players just won't wash this year. This team only needs a few players to put us into the big game. All of the puzzle pieces are coming together, go to the CFL or get a sumo wrestler from japan , but we need a big nose tackle for the D-line. I believe the center position will be OK. My heart goes out to Coach McCarthy whose hands are tied in this matter, he must know how close this years team is to a championship. I say get the player/s needed and win now !

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not generally agree how TT runs the Packers. I do support the players that the team fields. Yet consider how many key players the Packers have lost over the years due to management not being willing to pay to keep those players.
Smokey, Other than Cullen Jenkins, who I think we missed, what other players were let go that were "key"?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Worthy being here would help with the depth at end position, since Boyd will play more at NT now. Of course let's not forget that we have three cats who fit the Elephant End build in Peppers Perry and Neal. Peppers is the only one I'd trust stacking up the line all game long but I think Perry and Neal could fill in for spot duty on occasion.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Smokey, Other than Cullen Jenkins, who I think we missed, what other players were let go that were "key"?

MD Jennings
Brady Poppinga
Jerron McMillan
Ryan Picket
Frank Zombo
Atari Bigby
Brady Poppinga
Brandon Chillar Nick Barnett

Oh oops you said key, not sure how many of these guys are even in the league these days. The truth of the matter is that we lost some brilliant players to age and injury. Woodson wasn't same player he was back in 2010 when he was let go and when Collins went down we lost a potential hall of famer. 3 straight all-pro selections, and could very well be working on his 6th or even his 7th this season if not for that injury. I don't care who the GM is, it's tough to lose and then replace that kind of talent.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy played 23 snaps at defensive end the other night and had 1 tackle; nothing else. It was a mistake to draft him, but not to get rid of him.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MD Jennings
Brady Poppinga
Jerron McMillan
Ryan Picket
Frank Zombo
Atari Bigby
Brady Poppinga
Brandon Chillar Nick Barnett

Oh oops you said key, not sure how many of these guys are even in the league these days. The truth of the matter is that we lost some brilliant players to age and injury. Woodson wasn't same player he was back in 2010 when he was let go and when Collins went down we lost a potential hall of famer. 3 straight all-pro selections, and could very well be working on his 6th or even his 7th this season if not for that injury. I don't care who the GM is, it's tough to lose and then replace that kind of talent.
Poppinga was ok, so was Barnett. But they were not keys to the defense. the rest of the list are just guys. I think the Packers' record since TT arrived is all the evidence one needs to grade his effectiveness--in spite of misses in the draft.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hindsight is. 20/20 but I bet TT wishes he would've held on to Worthy just a little longer. Raji is done in Packer land for sure now with his injury sidelining him for the season but having Jerel Worthy would have made things a little easier from a depth standpoint.
Worthy was not worthy regardless of the Raji injury.

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not generally agree how TT runs the Packers. I do support the players that the team fields. Yet consider how many key players the Packers have lost over the years due to management not being willing to pay to keep those players. I just breaks my heart when I see former Packers playing for other teams. Especially when their replacement is simply a bust. J.Peppers is a great pick up, but he is an exception to the rule. I usually get slammed in this forum for criticizing TT, but this season the Packers are very close to the promised land . Using that same OLD tired reasoning of looking to the future or that they are too poor to trade for high quality players just won't wash this year. This team only needs a few players to put us into the big game. All of the puzzle pieces are coming together, go to the CFL or get a sumo wrestler from japan , but we need a big nose tackle for the D-line. I believe the center position will be OK. My heart goes out to Coach McCarthy whose hands are tied in this matter, he must know how close this years team is to a championship. I say get the player/s needed and win now !

Except you left out the part where pretty much every player we didn't re-sign ended up being a bad deal for the team that got them.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I do not generally agree how TT runs the Packers... but this season the Packers are very close to the promised land... This team only needs a few players to put us into the big game. All of the puzzle pieces are coming together... he must know how close this years team is to a championship !

Who gets credit for getting this team so close to the promised land? Only a few players needed? All the puzzle pieces coming together? Not a slam. Just wondering.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who gets credit for getting this team so close to the promised land? Only a few players needed? All the puzzle pieces coming together? Not a slam. Just wondering.
I will put on my inner smokey: "He got lucky on all of those draft picks and those UFA pickups. But he doesn't have the guts to really get players for this team."

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

Coach McCarthy, but you can go kiss TT's ---- if you want .

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worthy got horribly washed out at 3-4DE, so if the problem is that we're vulnerable against the run due to lack of NT depth, Worthy would only make the problem worse. He was going to get cut folks, so anything we get for him is 100% gravy at this point. Bust of a draft pick, 0% loss to our dline.

We should now be turning out attention to whether or not Guion is actually going to be a good NT. That's the real TT eval that's important right now.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Yea, I love how MM moved up in the draft and got Clay and then coached him up to be a pro-bowler.

LOL.

Bottom line for me is that the Packers are a classy, envied, well-run organization that has been a top contender for the Super Bowl nearly every year for ~two decades. They are far from perfect and have made many mistakes along the way. But, relative to their peers, this run has been impressive considering how challenging it is in today's era of "team parity" through salary cap restrictions and free agency.

Ted Thompson has not been at the helm for this entire time, but has been now for a number of years and has had amazing success (or luck) with his early big-splash picks of Rodgers and Matthews as well as being part of the management team during the Super Bowl victory in 2010.

He is becoming a bit infamous with his 1st round drafts since then, but has inversely found surprising success (or luck) with his latter round and UDFA selections. Also, GB has arguably become the "destination of choice" for many UDFA players who receive multiple offers.

So, has he been good or lucky? Or, considering the amount of key injuries that have plagued the team lately, has the organization and Ted actually been unlucky? Or, did Ted heavily rely on his subordinates, who have mostly left for Seattle or other teams, leaving him lost going forward? I don't know.

But, IMO, it is not logical to blame Ted for all the problems this organization has, yet not give him credit for all the success they have had, and continue to have, while under his leadership. He either gets both, or gets neither.

And if anyone says that the Packers have not been successful during this period of time (e.g. Only two rings in 18 years...), I disagree. Only five teams during this period have equaled this feat (NYG, Pitt, Denver, Baltimore) or done better (NE).

Do I want to "kiss TT's ----"? No, of course not. That's just an insult hurled by someone with nothing else to throw.

But, am I pleased with the leadership that Ted has given this team? Yes. He's certainly human, but he's done a pretty good job thus far.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga was ok, so was Barnett. But they were not keys to the defense. the rest of the list are just guys. I think the Packers' record since TT arrived is all the evidence one needs to grade his effectiveness--in spite of misses in the draft.
Very well said. Let's not let the facts (record and Super Bowl victory) get in the way of a good argument now. As I mentioned yesterday we are also in prime position to be contenders for years to come and this is derived from Ted's draft and develop strategy. Anyone with a pulse and basic knowledge of football can see this roster stacks up well with almost any other in the league. Ted's not perfect but he's pretty damn good at what he does.

I

I_am_smoked_cheddar

"TED" doesn't choose the players to draft, Coach McCarthy does. "Ted" doesn't study film day & night so he can call the plays. "Ted" is a cheap tightwad that squeaks when he walks. The Packers lose to many players to free agency because management won't pay to keep them. TT looks to get cheap players through the draft to replace them , yet he is just gambling that drafted players will become starters. Coach McCarthy and his staff do their best to pick those players, but nobody really knows how they will turn out. Occasionally the team gets a quality free agent , and yes Thompson does acquire them, but nobody knows how much pressure Coach McCarthy exerts to get "TT" to grab a crowbar to open his wallet. Thompson is all about the bottom line, the profit margin , the mighty dollar. If a championship meant very much to him ,and this season is going to be the best chance the Packers have had in a while, he'd be out trying to get the team a starting quality nose tackle.
Lounging in his fine home and placing his dining orders with his cook is not getting the job done. Maintaining the status quo is not enough to win SB's. A GM needs to be cautiously aggressive to give the team the best chance to win. That old man just got a new contract from the conservative Executive Committee. They are as timid as he is and are satisfied to collect their checks and sip their Brandy. The Packers need a GM that knows business, is not afraid to boldly go after players, and knows the game . I'm sure he does a fine job of booking hotels and chartering transportation, as well as ordering food to feed the team. He has done well updating Lambeau Field and it's facilities, but he's just a plain 55mph General Manager.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
"TED" doesn't choose the players to draft, Coach McCarthy does. "Ted" doesn't study film day & night so he can call the plays. "Ted" is a cheap tightwad that squeaks when he walks. The Packers lose to many players to free agency because management won't pay to keep them. etc.
This is hilarious. You must have meant this tongue in cheek, right? But I don't see any smilies. BTW, why is "TED" in quotes?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
"TED" doesn't choose the players to draft, Coach McCarthy does. "Ted" doesn't study film day & night so he can call the plays. "Ted" is a cheap tightwad that squeaks when he walks. The Packers lose to many players to free agency because management won't pay to keep them. TT looks to get cheap players through the draft to replace them , yet he is just gambling that drafted players will become starters. Coach McCarthy and his staff do their best to pick those players, but nobody really knows how they will turn out. Occasionally the team gets a quality free agent , and yes Thompson does acquire them, but nobody knows how much pressure Coach McCarthy exerts to get "TT" to grab a crowbar to open his wallet. Thompson is all about the bottom line, the profit margin , the mighty dollar. If a championship meant very much to him ,and this season is going to be the best chance the Packers have had in a while, he'd be out trying to get the team a starting quality nose tackle.
Lounging in his fine home and placing his dining orders with his cook is not getting the job done. Maintaining the status quo is not enough to win SB's. A GM needs to be cautiously aggressive to give the team the best chance to win. That old man just got a new contract from the conservative Executive Committee. They are as timid as he is and are satisfied to collect their checks and sip their Brandy. The Packers need a GM that knows business, is not afraid to boldly go after players, and knows the game . I'm sure he does a fine job of booking hotels and chartering transportation, as well as ordering food to feed the team. He has done well updating Lambeau Field and it's facilities, but he's just a plain 55mph General Manager.
This is without a doubt the most wrong-headed post I've ever read on this forum.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Smokey, your thinking with your heart and not head. In the CAP era you have to pick and chose who you retain. The Steelers hung on to their aging players for one more run, they swung for the fence and came up just short, How have they been doing since? I don't think we are really desperate even with these injuries, We have depth and youth everywhere and this is the season the guys we have been waiting for can step up. Jones will be a sophomore, Perry is healthy, Peppers I believe is going to tilt the field on defense. we have lots of depth and young guns. you bring a guy in to our system at this point and there's no guarantee he will perform or stay healthy. Save the money for the ones your are developing now. we have maybe 10 more years with Aroge, I would rather spend them in contention and retaining the talent we develop than rolling the dice on other teams players.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts