Revis...

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've shown interest before and he could likely be had for a short term deal....

His legal issue/thing is overblown I think, he should be ready to play. Not likely a suspension.
Was it stupid what he did? Yes, but I don't think Gooddell or anyone in their mind will penalize someone who "seems like" he was being harassed in public in his own free/off time

The perfect guy to mentor the young guys IMO and for a short term deal is my guess

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
coaches coach, players play. If this was Revis from 3-5 years ago, sure, sign me up. I can't claim to watch the Jets with any regularity, but from what i've read, he's done. I'm all for competition, so if he's cheap, bring him in. But vets like him usually get a fair amount of money just to show up on some team. We need a play maker not a name out there on the edge, either OLB or CB

D

Deleted member 6794

I would prefer the Packers to pass on Revis as it seems that age has caught up to him and he has lost a step. Thompson should better sign a younger cornerback to be the team's #1.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis hasn't been the same since blowing out his knee. He made a respectable comeback but you want a veteran who can show it on the field. As Mondio said, we've got coaches to explain technique. We don't have veterans to demonstrate and inspire.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well the thing with Revis is... he could most likely be had for a SHORT(er) TERM deal than the other guys

I would imagine all the other FA CBs will want somewhere around the 4+ year range contract...

The theory/plan is you have someone come in or "plug in" to take the "number one" corner role that Shields(probably force to retire) left behind

Then, presumably Randall/Gunter can develop into a number 1 type down the line

Obviously, none of the younger guys can handle that "number one" type of role right now... and I don't think a late 1st rounder can either LOL

So I could see Revis just coming in quickly and doing that

D

Deleted member 6794

well the thing with Revis is... he could most likely be had for a SHORT(er) TERM deal than the other guys

I would imagine all the other FA CBs will want somewhere around the 4+ year range contract...

The theory/plan is you have someone come in or "plug in" to take the "number one" corner role that Shields(probably force to retire) left behind

Then, presumably Randall/Gunter can develop into a number 1 type down the line

Obviously, none of the younger guys can handle that "number one" type of role right now... and I don't think a late 1st rounder can either LOL

So I could see Revis just coming in quickly and doing that

I would prefer the Packers to sign a younger cornerback who is still on top of his game to a multi year deal than Revis for a single season.

I could see Revis coming in and being the Tramon of 2013(?) the year he had the nerve damage in his shoulder and looked like crap on the field.

Williams played through nerve damage in his shoulder during the 2011 season.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes its all about perspective. Jets fans expect revis island. Even if he did in fact lose a full step... Thats a step off the best cb since deon sanders imo. Revis was a game changer. He took games over....

From greenbays perspective. We are starved for a top cb. To the point where the entire defense failed. Tried to compensate and quite literally failed.

It all depends on what the price tag is...

My thought right away was this legal trouble was just enough to drop the price tag.
Maybe....

How old is he? I feel like just saying he is done , is being quick to judge.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes its all about perspective. Jets fans expect revis island. Even if he did in fact lose a full step... Thats a step off the best cb since deon sanders imo. Revis was a game changer. He took games over....

From greenbays perspective. We are starved for a top cb. To the point where the entire defense failed. Tried to compensate and quite literally failed.

My thought right away was this legal trouble was just enough to drop the price tag.
Maybe....

Yea that's pretty much my thinking too!

I'm pretty sure he won't be getting 4+ years from ANYone so GB could likely have him for 1-2 years

The legal trouble I don't think is anything serious(meaning he'll be able to play and not miss games, most likely) but yea... it probably does drop his price tag down a little more as well

I could see 2 years 24 million as "very competitive" for his services, if not even less... and I'm pretty sure GB can afford that

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe....

Revis will be 32 at the start of next season. He allowed a passer rating of 104.2 when being targeted last season and therefore isn't a shutdown cornerback anymore. The Packers have to go with a younger cornerback still on top of his game.

I could see 2 years 24 million as "very competitive" for his services, if not even less... and I'm pretty sure GB can afford that

There's absolutely no way the Packers should even think about offering Revis a contract close to the neighborhood of what you suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:

metallicblaze

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people are probably interested in Revis based on who he was and not what he is now. He can be serviceable at most, but I think we should look elsewhere. Even if he some how accepts a move to Safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

Some people are probably interested in Revis based on who he was and not what he is now. He can be serviceable at most, but I think we should look elsewhere. Even if he some how accepts a move to Safety.

The Packers have a solid starting tandem at safety in Burnett and Clinton-Dix. While some depth might be needed, especially if Hyde leaves in free agency, Revis isn't the answer there either.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No duh 2/24 is very competitive for his services.

It's also considered that way cause no team in their right mind would/should pay him that much

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he's worth 12 million per, I gotta be good for at least a vet minimum contract and I never played a down in the NFL

NYPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So - as a former Jet fan up until about midway of last season here's my opinion. The guy doesn't play like he used to when he was great.

A lot of what made Revis great was his ability to press the WR's at the line of scrimmage taking them off their route and disrupting the timing of the play. Coach Bowles confirmed that Revis had the leeway to play press coverage or play off as he wanted. He doesn't seem want to play press coverage anymore for whatever reason and his coverage wasn't very good last year because of it. He always plays off the receiver now and just tries to mirror them which he's OK at, but there's nothing special about his ability to do that. I would speculate it's because he got burned a few times and fears looking bad getting burned deep.

He was also always an excellent tackler who never shied away from contact. Not anymore. He played last season as if he didn't want to be there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he retired. If he is available I'd stay far away. He will take whoever pays the most and whatever that is is likely not worth it for what he offers at this point in his career.

Go with someone else with something to prove.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the qb rating is 104 when he's targeted by opposing qb's then he'd fit right in here with these sorry corners we already have.
I'd prefer a younger guy with speed and length like DRC. The Packers should either consider giving him whatever he ask once he's cut in NY.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So - as a former Jet fan up until about midway of last season here's my opinion. The guy doesn't play like he used to when he was great.

A lot of what made Revis great was his ability to press the WR's at the line of scrimmage taking them off their route and disrupting the timing of the play. Coach Bowles confirmed that Revis had the leeway to play press coverage or play off as he wanted. He doesn't seem want to play press coverage anymore for whatever reason and his coverage wasn't very good last year because of it. He always plays off the receiver now and just tries to mirror them which he's OK at, but there's nothing special about his ability to do that. I would speculate it's because he got burned a few times and fears looking bad getting burned deep.

He was also always an excellent tackler who never shied away from contact. Not anymore. He played last season as if he didn't want to be there.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he retired. If he is available I'd stay far away. He will take whoever pays the most and whatever that is is likely not worth it for what he offers at this point in his career.

Go with someone else with something to prove.

Lol a lot of Jets players and coaches looked like they didn't want to be there last year my man haha.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he just wasnt too stoked about the jets chizy chances of doing anything in 2016. Or their qb.... Or the front office, or fans.
I dont doubt what you say is true... But you plug aaron rodgers into the equasion. #12 and his aersenal of weapons... Then you mention the two stud safetys that will be behind him...

I could easily be wrong. But it could have just been self preservation, knowing his contract was up and the jets offense is without a qb.....?

Which makes me think he could still be an impact player. If motivated to do so.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe he just wasnt too stoked about the jets chizy chances of doing anything in 2016. Or their qb.... Or the front office, or fans.

Which makes me think he could still be an impact player. If motivated to do so.

If that was the reason for Revis struggling last season, which I don't believe it was, the Packers shouldn't rely on a player having trouble staying motivated.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
to the DRC post/comment...

oh HELL YEA, I've liked DRC for a long time.. but UNTIL he's "officially" released, we can't get him

To the other posts:

Do ya'll remember how bad a guy named "Charles Woodson" was when TT gave him a big contract coming from the Oakland Raiders?

BigCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not the same thing. Woodson was coming off a two years where he could not stay healthy. There was no question of a decline in skills. He played both those seasons under the franchise tag. Had TT signed him in 2013 you'd have an argument.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not the same thing. Woodson was coming off a two years where he could not stay healthy. There was no question of a decline in skills. He played both those seasons under the franchise tag. Had TT signed him in 2013 you'd have an argument.

it was moreso a question of motivation for Woodson too if you remember..

People have said Revis has "looked slow(er)" but i don't know...

I think you all have to realize is we're not going to get ANYone at the "top" of his game as a free agent cornerback.

Otherwise, he would NOT be a free agent in the first place lol

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it was moreso a question of motivation for Woodson too if you remember..

People have said Revis has "looked slow(er)" but i don't know...

I think you all have to realize is we're not going to get ANYone at the "top" of his game as a free agent cornerback.

Otherwise, he would NOT be a free agent in the first place lol

The question wasn't motivation. It was injuries unless by "motivation" you mean he wanted to remain a CB and other teams were concerned his injuries were going to demand he moved to Saftey which he didn't want to do?

Revis HAS lost a step. This isn't up for debate and combined with the price tag he'll command from some GM who's infatuated with his "name" and the pure and utter hope father time hasn't beaten him into submission just yet is why he shouldn't even be considered an option

Members online

Latest posts