Revis...

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The question wasn't motivation. It was injuries unless by "motivation" you mean he wanted to remain a CB and other teams were concerned his injuries were going to demand he moved to Saftey which he didn't want to do?

Revis HAS lost a step. This isn't up for debate and combined with the price tag he'll command from some GM who's infatuated with his "name" and the pure and utter hope father time hasn't beaten him into submission just yet is why he shouldn't even be considered an option

"Losing a step" is subjective... it's an eye test.

Unless he IS 40+ years old and/or runs a TIMED 4.7+ 40 yard dash I won't be convinced he has

Adrien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don't go after Revis, Ted Thompson. He's done. He was getting burned by everyone. At this point, he needs to switch to safety, and Packers are pretty good at safety.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that was the reason for Revis struggling last season, which I don't believe it was, the Packers shouldn't rely on a player having trouble staying motivated.
I agree. But can you blame him for not sacrificing the body when the jets are in a tailspin... Their front office didnt pay their qb and the backup is a joke.

I dont blame him...

And i wont hold it against him if he were to dominate for the packers, just because we have rodgers at qb...

Reaction score
I can't explain why, but my gut tells me we'd overpay for what we'd get. I'm not just talking about stats here. My first intuition was no excitement whatsoever. We need a better fit just IMO

D

Deleted member 6794

Do ya'll remember how bad a guy named "Charles Woodson" was when TT gave him a big contract coming from the Oakland Raiders?

In addition to what other posters have already mentioned Woodson was three years younger at the time he signed in Green Bay than Revis is now as well.

I agree. But can you blame him for not sacrificing the body when the jets are in a tailspin... Their front office didnt pay their qb and the backup is a joke.

I dont blame him...

First of all the Jets re-signed Fitzpatrick before the start of the season but he struggled. And yeah, I'm blaming a player not staying motivated while making $17 million even with the team struggling.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Prince, I wouldn't see anyone else coming here... besides Darrelle... so I just wanted to bump this

Logan Ryan is more of a slot corner

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Besides Prince, I wouldn't see anyone else coming here... besides Darrelle... so I just wanted to bump this

Logan Ryan is more of a slot corner

I would definitely make an offer to Logan Ryan. Put him in the slot. Tight ends were killing us last year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone clamoring for Revis watched him play last year.

He was so, so awful. Now he's going to be 32, he can't even really play corner anymore, and he still wants $8M to play because his name is Darelle Revis. Not to mention he's a possible suspension candidate depending on the resolution of his legal case.

There was one NFL GM who said after watching tape of Revis last year, he wouldn't take him on his team for free.

There is nothing about Revis that makes me want him in Green Bay. Other than his name, I can't imagine why anyone would.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if anyone clamoring for Revis watched him play last year.

He was so, so awful. Now he's going to be 32, he can't even really play corner anymore, and he still wants $8M to play because his name is Darelle Revis. Not to mention he's a possible suspension candidate depending on the resolution of his legal case.

There was one NFL GM who said after watching tape of Revis last year, he wouldn't take him on his team for free.

There is nothing about Revis that makes me want him in Green Bay. Other than his name, I can't imagine why anyone would.

who else?

Davon House?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who else?

Davon House?

I would take House over Revis, yes. Or Claiborne, or Carr. I would take them over Revis as well.

Again, did you watch Revis play last year, or are you just wanting him based on his historical reputation?

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, I would rather take a gamble on Claiborne over Revis, House, or Carr. He has the most upside and could be had on a 1 year - prove it deal.

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who else?

Davon House?

actually just wanting Revis off his Madden rating..

But seriously I believe he "knows how" to play the position which the young guys can/will learn from

He was good for so long based on athletic ability but ALSO his technique and "how" to play the position

D

Deleted member 6794

who else?

Davon House?

Claiborne currently is the best cornerback available. It would be risky to sign him though.

But seriously I believe he "knows how" to play the position which the young guys can/will learn from

He was good for so long based on athletic ability but ALSO his technique and "how" to play the position

There's no doubt Revis was an elite cornerback for most of his career but age has caught up to him and he has lost a step. Hopefully the Packers pass on him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We are already paying a guy to teach our young corners how to play the position, his name is Joe Whitt. There's no need to dedicate $8M in cap space and a valuable spot on the roster to a player that isn't good at playing the position himself anymore.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take House over Revis, yes. Or Claiborne, or Carr. I would take them over Revis as well.

Again, did you watch Revis play last year, or are you just wanting him based on his historical reputation?
I think revis has plenty left in the tank. If he comes to play, he will impress us imo. But for the jets, they stole his mojo and wiped their *** with it.... He was pretty much saying effu, im out, with the way he supposedly played...

Any chance there was a iniury that wasnt talked about with revis? We seen randall fall way off , imo because of injury. I am optimistic he will come back in an impressive way in his 3rd year... Adding a stud like revis who comes here and plays like a stud. Conbined with a rebound by our young cb corps.... Cb could be a strength very quickly...

Guys like revis tend to raise the level of play by young players... They all want to impress the future hall of famer. I think ap would do that as well...

Im not convinced at all that either of these guys are done...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think revis has plenty left in the tank. If he comes to play, he will impress us imo. But for the jets, they stole his mojo and wiped their *** with it.... He was pretty much saying effu, im out, with the way he supposedly played...

Any chance there was a iniury that wasnt talked about with revis? We seen randall fall way off , imo because of injury. I am optimistic he will come back in an impressive way in his 3rd year... Adding a stud like revis who comes here and plays like a stud. Conbined with a rebound by our young cb corps.... Cb could be a strength very quickly...

Guys like revis tend to raise the level of play by young players... They all want to impress the future hall of famer. I think ap would do that as well...

Im not convinced at all that either of these guys are done...

You think Revis has plenty left in the tank based on what? You definitely don't think that based on watching his play last year.

If we need to bring in aging washed up used to be great players to get our other players motivated to try their best, then we really need new coaches.

If you want to take a shot at Revis as a reclamation project for $2-$3M? Sure, I guess I can get on board. But for $8M? For an aging corner that was so bad he couldn't even stick at corner, and might not even be eligible for all of next season? No way.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are
You think Revis has plenty left in the tank based on what? You definitely don't think that based on watching his play last year.

If we need to bring in aging washed up used to be great players to get our other players motivated to try their best, then we really need new coaches.

If you want to take a shot at Revis as a reclamation project for $2-$3M? Sure, I guess I can get on board. But for $8M? For an aging corner that was so bad he couldn't even stick at corner, and might not even be eligible for all of next season? No way.
You are talking about the best CB of this generation, not some slouch. Good enough for the jets to give him 17$ mil just one year ago... But now he is a joke at $8?

I think money is second to mojo with him. Is it unprofessional to collect 17 mil and not play hard??? Yes!!! But what makes a player do that? That's what I want to know....

Here is some speculation based on ego. Jets feel they overpaid second time around. Start acting like they are the boss. Where revis felt he was like LeBron coming back to Cleveland. Making personnel calls and stuff. Lol.
Go ahead and have Fitz suck, and the jets season fall apart right away. Start hearing rebuild and..... Who is first??? The 17mil$ CB... That's who....
So where's the mojo to play like an all pro? It's more likely he get injured playing wreckessly like all pro cbs do. Right before a contract year... $$$$$$$$gone...

He may have overestimated his name in the league. Taking 50percent loss on his value...

But for $8????? Sign him and tell him he is the missing link. Show him where his shoulder mount would go in title town....

Then see if he sucks....

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are

You are talking about the best CB of this generation, not some slouch. Good enough for the jets to give him 17$ mil just one year ago... But now he is a joke at $8?

I think money is second to mojo with him. Is it unprofessional to collect 17 mil and not play hard??? Yes!!! But what makes a player do that? That's what I want to know....

Here is some speculation based on ego. Jets feel they overpaid second time around. Start acting like they are the boss. Where revis felt he was like LeBron coming back to Cleveland. Making personnel calls and stuff. Lol.
Go ahead and have Fitz suck, and the jets season fall apart right away. Start hearing rebuild and..... Who is first??? The 17mil$ CB... That's who....
So where's the mojo to play like an all pro? It's more likely he get injured playing wreckessly like all pro cbs do. Right before a contract year... $$$$$$$$gone...

He may have overestimated his name in the league. Taking 50percent loss on his value...

But for $8????? Sign him and tell him he is the missing link. Show him where his shoulder mount would go in title town....

Then see if he sucks....

Yes, it is a joke to pay him $8M if he's a bad CB.

Peppers is one of the best pass rushers of his generation and just had to take $3.5M this year.

You pay players based on what you expect them to do for you in the future, not what they did in the past.

Paying a player based on his legacy and name is a very bad business practice.

If his ego and effort is the only reason that he sucked last year, that's even more reason not to sign him.

Everything I saw out of Revis last year and everything I read told me it's not an effort issue, it's that he's over the hill and his legs are toast.

So that's a big roll of the dice to assume a 32 year old will get better, not worse.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Revis if he was a small impact financially. I could see him filling in the "HYDE-ROLE" rather easily, if not upgrading what Hyde was doing. Again, the $ needs to make a lot of sense to warrant the move.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Revis was found not guilty.

I bet another team will pick him up soon now.

I feel like there is room for one more splash player. I'm hoping for either Revis, AP, or Poe....