"Realistic" WR Discussions...

D

Deleted member 6794

Jesus. I didn't say I believed it, but, came from a reliable source as I had stated...

I'm sorry to let you know but someone mentioning that the Falcons are thinking about trading Julio Jones isn't a reliable source.

So in the above post you mock the Browns' inability to pass the football, adding your snarky imoji for full effect.

And in your very next post you praise the "good job" Dorsey has done.

Dorsey's three biggest moves to date are Mayfield, Beckham and Landry, which you clearly inferred is not working.

It is nice to see you contradicting yourself now just like you do to everyone else around here.

The Browns were a combined 1-31 in 2016 and '17 before Dorsey took over as their general manager. They have been 9-11-1 since. If you don't realize they have improved there's no way I can help you understand it.

In addition I used the receiving duo of Landry and Beckham as a cautionary tale that the Packers acquiring another talented receiver doesn't automatically result in their offense being unstoppable.

No contradiction at all.

Acquiring players and getting hype for the team isn't exactly turning the team around, let alone doing a "good job" at that. The team still needs to win and live up to the hype. Otherwise, they're just the new age Redskins... acquire all the names and do nothing with them.

Once again, while the Browns haven't lived up to the hype this offseason they have been a much improved team with Dorsey running the show.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus. I didn't say I believed it, but, came from a reliable source as I had stated... and, if Fitzgerald DOESN'T want to come to GB to have a chance at winning a ring, I wouldn't want him anyway. He can hang out at the pool all he likes... Again, it was just a thought.

Don't think out loud around the Capt. ;)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like we just scored 30+ in three quarters.... Without davante Adams....

Maybe we should expand on that performance. And add davante back into the equation when he gets back to some comfort with his toe.

Jones looked like Marshall faulk out there last week.... And I still feel like we are missing the jimmy Graham jump ball. Get him the dang ball!!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Browns were a combined 1-31 in 2016 and '17 before Dorsey took over as their general manager. They have been 9-11-1 since. If you don't realize they have improved there's no way I can help you understand it.
Improved and good are two different things. 9-11-1 is below average. Yes they improved from awful. They are trending I'm the right direction. But the browns have not become good yet and the jury is still out on if Dorsey can build a 'good' team or not.

The problem with his style of team construction, the window is short. OBJ and FAs took up some cap space and Myles Garrett is about to cash in big time. Followed by more stats the next year. They have one of the most talented rosters in the NFL and yet suck. Yet another example of coaching trumping talent.

H

HardRightEdge

Have not seen anything posted on this, but just heard from a friend in the know that Julio Jones is available in trade...

Another hat in the ring.
I don't see how it would be possible for Atlanta to trade Julio Jones.

Their current cap space is a very slim $1.8 mil.

In a trade they'd have to take the dead cap hit on his prorated signing bonus numbers for 2020-2023, $32.4 mil.

They'd save on the salary for his remaining games this season, but with a base salary of only $1.5 mil, the offset it trivial.

The dead cap overhang is so large they would have a hard time doing anything with him until 2022.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Improved and good are two different things. 9-11-1 is below average. Yes they improved from awful. They are trending I'm the right direction. But the browns have not become good yet and the jury is still out on if Dorsey can build a 'good' team or not.

I posted that Dorsey has done a good job turning the franchise around in Cleveland, not that this year's squad is a good team.

He has proven being capable of building a good team in Kansas City, albeit only for a short period of time though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted that Dorsey has done a good job turning the franchise around in Cleveland, not that this year's squad is a good team.

He has proven being capable of building a good team in Kansas City, albeit only for a short period of time though.
Re-read your original post and I did mischarchterize it. My bad.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm sorry to let you know but someone mentioning that the Falcons are thinking about trading Julio Jones isn't a reliable source.

In addition I used the receiving duo of Landry and Beckham as a cautionary tale that the Packers acquiring another talented receiver doesn't automatically result in their offense being unstoppable.

No contradiction at all.

Once again, while the Browns haven't lived up to the hype this offseason they have been a much improved team with Dorsey running the show.

I didn't really think you were contradicting yourself. But whether you consider Dorsey to have turned the ship depends on the time frame you're looking at. Compared to 2016-17? Certainly. Compared to the decade plus long span of bad football? Not yet. Pettine essentially achieved the same results as the 2018 Browns during his brief stint as HC there. But I am admittedly and horrifically biased against Dorsey. Not even going to deny it.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't really think you were contradicting yourself. But whether you consider Dorsey to have turned the ship depends on the time frame you're looking at. Compared to 2016-17? Certainly. Compared to the decade plus long span of bad football?

Well, I think it's only fair to compare the Browns record with Dorsey as their general manager to 2016 and '17 as that was the team he inherited.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score

No contradiction at all.

I never wrote that the Browns haven't improved. Your words, not mine.

You put words in my mouth and then you criticize my lack of understanding based on your false narrative.

You're the one who simultaneously mocks the Browns passing game while praising the great work Dorsey has done. You argue with yourself, like a dog chasing it's own tail.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're the one who simultaneously mocks the Browns passing game while praising the great work Dorsey has done.

Overall Dorsey has done a good job improving the Browns, their record is prove for it. Trading for Beckham hasn't worked out for them as expected though.

Those two statements aren't contradicting by any means though.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
So, Dorsey acquiring Landry and Beckham is a cautionary tale for the rest of us. It is the example of failure you provided to show the Packers shouldn't get another WR because it might not work out.

So, you admit Dorsey failed and has done a good job of it. Got it.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, Dorsey acquiring Landry and Beckham is a cautionary tale for the rest of us. It is the example of failure you provided to show the Packers shouldn't get another WR because it might not work out.

So, you admit Dorsey failed and has done a good job of it. Got it.

No, you don't get it at all. It's possible for a general manager to do a good job overall even with some moves not working out.

In addition I wasn't advocating for the Packers to stand pat at receiver but that it wouldn't automatically make their offense unstoppable.

H

HardRightEdge

But I am admittedly and horrifically biased against Dorsey. Not even going to deny it.
How come?

I'd say I have a healthy dose of skepticism. He's accumulated a lot of big mouths, problem children and brand-builders. That's not an immediate disqualifier; there have been some teams in history in various sports with collections of characters, even fighting among themselves and back-biting each other in the press, who have been winners. Not many, but enough to say a bunch of head cases can win.

Dorsey comes across pretty crusty in the couple of Cleveland press conferences I've seen. I suppose if you're going to take on hearding all these cats you'd have to be a harda*s.

There are a lot to questions here but I can't see how it is "horrifying". Among the 2-3 teams, this is the one I'd least like to face. They could go either way, but there's enough talent to pull it together and stomp on few throats.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually you're the one having an issue getting offended by someone pointing out that the scenario you posted is completely unrealistic.
Hardly. You are implying things that I have neither said nor communicated. Multiple times, in multiple threads.

H

HardRightEdge

Neither of you know my source.
True. We just know he must be wrong unless Atlanta is going to cut enough guys at the same time as the trade to clear around $30 mil in cap space. Did he mention that?

This reminds me of Cowherd declaring Rodgers would be leaving the Packers for a $37 mil per year while somehow overlooking that Rodgers had 2 years left on his existing contract.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How come?

I'd say I have a healthy dose of skepticism. He's accumulated a lot of big mouths, problem children and brand-builders. That's not an immediate disqualifier; there have been some teams in history in various sports with collections of characters, even fighting among themselves and back-biting each other in the press, who have been winners. Not many, but enough to say a bunch of head cases can win.

Dorsey comes across pretty crusty in the couple of Cleveland press conferences I've seen. I suppose if you're going to take on hearding all these cats you'd have to be a harda*s.

There are a lot to questions here but I can't see how it is "horrifying". Among the 2-3 teams, this is the one I'd least like to face. They could go either way, but there's enough talent to pull it together and stomp on few throats.

Because he uses dudes who beat on women as his competitive advantage.

D

Deleted member 6794

Neither of you know my source.

There's no need to as he's definitely wrong about the Falcons being interested in trading Julio Jones.

After HRE and me presenting the facts it would be smart to admit you (or your source) were wrong and move on.

Unfortunately most people aren't capable of doing that anymore.

H

HardRightEdge

Because he uses dudes who beat on women as his competitive advantage.
I absolutely do not approve of that behavior. That's a fair point.

But it would be naive to single out one GM. Being caught on video, as in the Hunt case, or a conviction seems to be the only certain cause for suspension.

With 2,000 men in the league every year, many of them violent dudes, it is plausible to believe the small handful of incidents of abuse against women and children that are resolved with a suspension is the tip of an iceberg of undetermined size, given studies on the matter in the general population.

It is more plausible to believe that rumors hit many front offices, but if there is no video or police report then it is "don't ask, don't tell," a personal domestic matter. The more cynical might say its something that can be fixed with a diamond or a Mercedes or a check if the matter is outside the household.

I would prefer the Packers not employ any of these bad actors. On the other hand, I can't assume they in fact do not.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I absolutely do not approve of that behavior. That's a fair point.

But it would be naive to single out one GM. Being caught on video, as in the Hunt case, or a conviction seems to be the only certain cause for suspension.

With 2,000 men in the league every year, many of them violent dudes, it is plausible to believe the small handful of incidents of abuse against women and children that are resolved with a suspension is the tip of an iceberg of undetermined size, given studies on the matter in the general population.

It is more plausible to believe that rumors hit many front offices, but if there is no video or police report then it is "don't ask, don't tell," a personal domestic matter. The more cynical might say its something that can be fixed with a diamond or a Mercedes or a check if the matter is outside the household.

I would prefer the Packers not employ any of these bad actors. On the other hand, I can't assume they in fact do not.

Yeah, I am sure that every team in the league has at least one guy like this. And it's probably true that lots of GM's past and present have drafted/signed guys who beat women and the public wasn't aware. And it's absolutely true that GM's sign/draft guys that have done things that no one knows about.

But Dorsey has been making a career out of collecting highly talented players who everyone knew had this issue. Hunt is far from the first. He also drafted Tyreek Hill, who has a long history of beating women and children. He also drafted Antonio Callaway, who has a history of ****** assault strong enough for many teams to strike him from draft boards.

People give him plaudits for picks like Hill in the 5th or Callaway in the 6th... as if everyone in the league was not aware that these guys can play. He capitalized on better men passing on these guys because they're thugs. And he does this consistently because he sees it as his competitive advantage.

So I think he's a worthless piece of ****. I hate that the Packers ever employed him. I root against his team to lose every game they ever play. And I hope other, better men destroy Hill, Hunt, etc on the field. And I'm not sorry to admit it.

Members online

Latest posts