"Realistic" WR Discussions...

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DaVante Parker just got a 4 year, $40M extension from the Dolphins with $21.5M guaranteed.

Looks like outside of OBJ we'll be only finding someone in the Draft.

Robbie Anderson would be a good guy to look at in FA. AJ Green is also a FA. There will be other guys available

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure Anderson hits the market, the Jets are even more bare at the position than we are, but I'd be open to him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robbie Anderson would be a good guy to look at in FA. AJ Green is also a FA. There will be other guys available
Anderson impressed me last night. He looked like more than just a deep threat.

D

Deleted member 6794

being in win-now mode if this obj thing had happened before the trade deadline i think they may have made a move for him. with their current, and future, cap situation though i don't see them making a move for him. nah, i think they've seen the near future, analyzed cap and performance data, come to some realizations, and decided there's no reason to go nuts. they'll stick with the draft, the odd free agent hole plug, build for the future, and keep their fingers crossed to catch lightning in a bottle.

The Packers couldn't have afforded to fit OBJ's contract under the cap at the trade deadline this year without making a move to clear some space.

We've talked about this before, so I don't think we need to rehash the whole thing. But suffice it to say, I think that if the Packers tried to replace Bulaga with a rookie 4th round pick, the most likely outcome would be a disaster.

The Packers might get by with signing a stopgap to start immediately in place of Bulaga while drafting his eventual replacement down the road later in the draft. 15 of the 44 tackles that have started at least 10 games in the league this offseason have either been selected in the fourth round or later or even went undrafted.

Agreed. Now there are positions where its more likely that you can get by with a Rookie, but in order (on offense), the positions I would no want to fully rely on a rookie:
  • QB
  • LT
  • RT
  • WR
  • TE
  • C
  • G
  • RB

I would definitely put tight end ahead of wide receiver, maybe even ahead of both tackle spots.

Green is done.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Of these guys I'd personally put feelers out on Agholor and Gordon. I feel both at the proper price could and would greatly assist. I feel Gordon up here might have a slightly easier time staying clean....I'd put a lot of incentive driven items in his contract LOL
Gordon suspended just now

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jarvis Landry was rumored to say "come get me" to the Cardinals, echoing his teammate and best friend OBJ.

Now THAT is an offseason addition I can love.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jarvis Landry was rumored to say "come get me" to the Cardinals, echoing his teammate and best friend OBJ.

Have to really wonder when it starts to become multiple players on one team doing this during a game. Factor in that they are saying it to the 4-9-1 Cardinals, they must really want out of that crappy.....weather in Cleveland?

"Multiple Browns players, including Jarvis Landry, yelled “Come get me” to the Cardinals sideline on Sunday, per @MikeSilver"

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to really wonder when it starts to become multiple players on one team doing this during a game. Factor in that they are saying it to the 4-9-1 Cardinals, they must really want out of that crappy.....weather in Cleveland?

Don't overlook the Cardinals, remember what they once were with Kurt Warner and Carson Palmer at the helm. If Kyler Murray can make a similar(albeit not identical) 2nd year leap like Lamar Jackson did the NFC will be an absolute slobberknocker in 2020.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think some of us get too excited about guys like this getting cut. We recognize the name and think that they instantly would not only improve the Packers, but would also fit into the team seamlessly. I am not saying that that can't happen, but it doesn't happen as easily as most would hope.

The Raiders just released the following 3 vets, I suppose people will talk about the Packers signing one of them.

LB Preston Brown, DT Terrell McClain and S D.J. Swearinger,

D

Deleted member 6794

Landry would definitely be a huge upgrade at #2 receiver but fans have to realize that Gutekunst most likely won't commit $14 million a season to improve the position.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Raiders just released the following 3 vets, I suppose people will talk about the Packers signing one of them.

LB Preston Brown, DT Terrell McClain and S D.J. Swearinger,
Old news... Preston Brown was claimed by Jax on 12/11/19. Good thing, Brown is a slower Blake Martinez with a shorter name.

JoePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have what we have. I'd just rather they concentrate using Adams, Kumerow and Lazard and go from there. Just too many receivers to work with and let these 3 get into the game and become one with AR.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers might get by with signing a stopgap to start immediately in place of Bulaga while drafting his eventual replacement down the road later in the draft. 15 of the 44 tackles that have started at least 10 games in the league this offseason have either been selected in the fourth round or later or even went undrafted.
Not a reliable stat. Could probably say the same for WR. After all we have umdrafted GMo starting, which is what you want to avoid.

But are the starting OTs any good? Just googled top 10 NFL OTs. Brought up OL.

1 was undrafted
4th round - 1 (Bahk!)
3rd round - 1
2nd round - 2
1st round - 5

Rather help AR out with outstanding OL play than WRs. Keep him healthier as well as helping AJ out as well.

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
Adams, Lazard, MVS are the new 1-3.

Back on Oct. 15 Pkrjones called for Lazard to be the #2 WR. Some of you mocked that stance, comparing Lazard to Janis and accusing Lazard's proponents as having a "crazy mindset".

Well, here we are two months later. The Packers have made Lazard the defacto #2 WR for several weeks now. Lazard is ninth in the league in yards/target.

The simple fact of the matter is that Lazard is better than every Packer WR other than Adams. Pkrjones saw that first. This was never about the greatness of Lazard, it was about how bad the early season #2 & #3 WR's were, which was evident back in Oct. Allison and Scantling are so unproductive now that Kumerow is probably moving up to #3 next.

Worth noting that Lazard's big body plays into LaFleur's outside zone scheme because Lazard can really do some nice blocking in the run game, too. Nice little side benefit to playing Lazard more.

Hats off to Pkrjones for having excellent foresight on this one, good call on Lazard! Pkrjones was right, the naysayers were wrong.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on Oct. 15 Pkrjones called for Lazard to be the #2 WR. Some of you mocked that stance, comparing Lazard to Janis and accusing Lazard's proponents as having a "crazy mindset".

Well, here we are two months later. The Packers have made Lazard the defacto #2 WR for several weeks now. Lazard is ninth in the league in yards/target.

The simple fact of the matter is that Lazard is better than every Packer WR other than Adams. Pkrjones saw that first. This was never about the greatness of Lazard, it was about how bad the early season #2 & #3 WR's were, which was evident back in Oct. Allison and Scantling are so unproductive now that Kumerow is probably moving up to #3 next.

Worth noting that Lazard's big body plays into LaFleur's outside zone scheme because Lazard can really do some nice blocking in the run game, too. Nice little side benefit to playing Lazard more.

Hats off to Pkrjones for having excellent foresight on this one, good call on Lazard! Pkrjones was right, the naysayers were wrong.

Lazard is the clear #2 now, almost by default.

Against the Bears, MVS got one target, and dropped the ball (actually, I'm not sure he even touched it). Too bad, he ran a nice route and got open.

Jake Kumerow also got one target, but he made the most of it, with a nice catch and run that set up a touchdown. Now the talk is that he'll get more opportunities against Minnesota. That's how it works - You produce, you get more chances to produce.

Allen Lazard is likely not on his way to Canton, but he has made the most of his opportunities. And as long as he does that, he'll get more of them.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In many ways Lazard is the default #2 much the same way MVS was as well at one time...I will say though Lazard is a better route runner and seems to have a better head for the game than MVS presently does....can we transplant MVS raw burst and speed into Lazards body?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

No offense to you or Packer Jones but a couple of things. First, 2 posters questioning or telling PKJones to contain his optimism a bit, isn't enough to get too excited about IMO. Second, I've liked Lazard since before the 2018 draft and was excited when we signed him a year ago off the Jags PS, but that doesn't make me some kind of Nostradamus, he still has a lot to prove. Finally, as you yourself imply, I think many of us recognized that at the time, none of the other receivers were doing much and Lazard was about the only guy who hadn't been given much of a shot. He finally got some reps and for the most part, has proved that he deserves to continue to receive more playing time and targets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Of course I want this offense to be dynamic, but I believe that continued investment in the offensive line is more important to that effort than adding another expensive wide receiver. If our OT position falls apart, I don't care who they have at wide receiver.
Rather help AR out with outstanding OL play than WRs. Keep him healthier as well as helping AJ out as wel
I 3rd these priorities. I’d double down at both WR or TE this draft/FA.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I 3rd these priorities. I’d double down at both WR or TE this draft/FA.

I'd like to see them sign someone who can be a viable option right away in Lewis' role as a blocker, while letting Sternberger and Tonyan come along in the receiving role. Jack Doyle would be ideal.

But yeah, I think one major separators in the NFL right now is offensive line play. There is a scarcity, and success often follows the pattern of the "haves" and "have nots" along the offensive front.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offense to you or Packer Jones but a couple of things. First, 2 posters questioning or telling PKJones to contain his optimism a bit, isn't enough to get too excited about IMO. Second, I've liked Lazard since before the 2018 draft and was excited when we signed him a year ago off the Jags PS, but that doesn't make me some kind of Nostradamus, he still has a lot to prove. Finally, as you yourself imply, I think many of us recognized that at the time, none of the other receivers were doing much and Lazard was about the only guy who hadn't been given much of a shot. He finally got some reps and for the most part, has proved that he deserves to continue to receive more playing time and targets.
C'mon Poker, don't minimize the opinions of the wise & insightful Scotland Yard!! ;) You're both correct ~ I am incredibly wise AND I posted that when our 2,3,4 AND 5 receivers weren't doing jack and AR was left trusting in his #6 (Lazard) to help. :)

I like the trust that AR has in Lazard and think that with more snaps the 2 will be even better moving forward. I've also noted Kumerow doing well blocking so Adams (6'-1", 215), Lazard (6'-5", 227) & Kumerow (6'-4", 209) make for a formidable WR group receiving and blocking.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, so with so much swirling on the forums about adding a true blue #2 let's do the most logical thing and look to the teams (no wins or 1 win) that could be looking to liquidate or move assets to build for future picks. As a big EQ fan (very smart WR) I am so bummed the year he has to suffer an injury is actually the first true big year chance for a WR to separate in that room here in Green Bay...ugh...anyways back on topic:

Dolphins
Jakeem Grant - Shifty shorter slot type receiver they spent a 6th rounder on back in 2016...I'd not offer more than a 7th 'IF' gute sees him as an asset possibly...however I would prefer an outside guy, but Jakeem could even be had for a conditional which may turn into nothing.

Preston Williams - The tall 6-5 receiver from Colorado St. I wanted GB to grab when he went undrafted anyways. He presently is the Dolphins leading receiver (tied with Davante Parker). Undrafted WR...young...but do we know enough to truly be willing to add just another young WR with promise.

*Allen Hurns - Young-ish at 27 and is decent height at 6-3. He is on a one year deal...with the Dolphins young corp of WRs I don't think he will re-sign. Has had a 1,000 yard year with a terrible QB in Jacksonville...experience and motivated to resurrect his career...this IF we go for a WR in Miami makes the most sense from a them and us stance. They're set to lose him, could get something, we give up little and possibly gain a sidekick to Adams maybe not statistically but experience wise.

Bengals
AJ Green - Severe health issues for like 3 straight years...way too expensive...let's move along.

Honestly, I don't see any of the others being options we'd either want or that the Bengals would send.

Jets
*Demaryius Thomas - Once a STUD, no longer there obviously. To be fair though, we aren't looking for one, we need a complimentary receiver with experience. Jets only gave up a 6th for him, he is presently flirting with dropping to 4th on a roster looking towards future and not present. Could possibly be a fit...

Robby Anderson - My clear favorite of their group, but would take far too much equity and wouldn't be worth it IMO. He is part of the Jets future and I don't see him being relinquished.

Crowder - An option, but again is young enough and I believe part of Jets future too much to be swayed with a low round pick.

Redskins
Paul Richardson Jr - Looking over the Skins he is the only one I feel has shown enough promise (not a lot of production) He is set to get 7.5Million however in 21' and 22' if I interpreted his contract right...BUT is presently quite affordable. Six foot and 7 years of experience...I sense however it would take at least a mid to upper 3rd of round picks to get him. Is he worth a 4th? A 3rd? Lot could change with a win in Dallas and this team solidifying itself as a contender with a few holes...

Cardinals
Gonna pass on them, mixture of no desire for any (maybe Kirk) and/or believe they won't let any go. Actually real quick thoughts on Kirk....still on rookie contract and would take a 4th or stronger....hmm...

Falcons
Sanu - Sanu is the only one I feel could possibly happen. Between their stud TE Hooper and Jones and Ridley I could see IF they lose again a willingness to possibly hear a call on Sanu. His contact is not in last year but nearly...and is not a bad contract to inherit with little arguably no dead cap hit if we would split after the year (I am NOT close to good at understanding cap stuff so correct if wrong).

In the end my personal top 3 possible experienced WRs I feel are worth a phone call at least is Hurns, Thomas, Sanu...

Personally I don't envision this happening or any true blue WR with experience coming our way....but for discussion sakes throwing thoughts out.
Do you think EQ can get to the next level? I am completely disappointed in Scantling and Allison. Donald Driver was better than them in his13th season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you think EQ can get to the next level? I am completely disappointed in Scantling and Allison

I don't think you were asking me directly, but I think you have to look at EQ much in the same way as you look at MVS. Both guys haven't fully proven themselves of being a solid NFL WR, nor have they proven themselves to be a totally incapable NFL WR. You can pretty much say that about ever WR on the Packers roster, not named Davante Adams.

The important thing moving forward (IMO) for 2020 and beyond, is that the Packers don't have 5/6th's of their WR depth chart filled with these kinds of players.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts