Ravens game Champs and Chumps

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or is Curtis Bolton the man? I thought he was a safety based on his number but he is listed at linebacker. Played well against Baltimore. And he started for the Sooners and evidently played well there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Josh Bynes, Antonio Morrison, Mason Foster, Manti Te'o are 4 ILB's that are currently free agents that have a lot of experience. I am not going to research each guy and why they are still free agents, but just on the surface, any of the 4 appear like they would be upgrades over the 2 rookies and Crawford and if nothing else, provide insurance if Martinez goes down.

Depending on his health, Bynes to me offers a lot of versatility, having played pretty much every LB position during his career.

Remember, much of what we are seeing from the Packer ILB's are plays made against backups, those backups might not even be on an NFL team come September. So the results of trotting Bolton, Summers or Crawford out there during preseason VS regular season could be quite different.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Josh Bynes, Antonio Morrison, Mason Foster, Manti Te'o are 4 ILB's that are currently free agents that have a lot of experience. I am not going to research each guy and why they are still free agents, but just on the surface, any of the 4 appear like they would be upgrades over the 2 rookies and Crawford and if nothing else, provide insurance if Martinez goes down.

Depending on his health, Bynes to me offers a lot of versatility, having played pretty much every LB position during his career.

Remember, much of what we are seeing from the Packer ILB's are plays made against backups, those backups might not even be on an NFL team come September. So the results of trotting Bolton, Summers or Crawford out there during preseason VS regular season could be quite different.
We (GB decision makers) need to do a better learning from the past.
1. Retain 3 QBs whenever possible. Particularly in a case where there is little to zero drop off
between #2-#3. It’s the most important position group and it impacts the game in event of injury by far the most of any position and it’s a group that takes months to have a full grip on the system. Other teams clearly understand this principle.

2. Keep the best talent on the field whenever possible. This also goes for the LB position. In 2014 we moved Clay inside and that enabled us to pull Nick Perry off the bench and pair him with Peppers.
We immediately became a top 10 rushing Defense and dropped into 13th place as a scoring Defense. At the rate we improved, we learned that our biggest mistake was not doing this sooner.
We went from 22nd ranked scoring to 13th overall in 1/2 of a season.
We went from a #32nd ranked rushing D through 8 weeks (by far the absolute worst)...... ..
..to #4 ranked rushing D for the last 8 weeks. That was not an accident, that’s a drastic improvement. So much so, that I believe that in itself (and the direct result of it propelling us into the NFC Championship game) it saved MM and Dom Capers jobs for a few more seasons.

I’d like to see our team do a better job learning from our past failures and success stories. I realize our memories tend to be forgetful, but how does an entire organization forget something that soon? They need to quit dilly dallying around with Burks and pony up the resources to acquire a decent LB. If Burks makes a full recovery great! We have better depth in 2019.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
1. Retain 3 QBs whenever possible. Particularly in a case where there is little to zero drop off
between #2-#3. It’s the most important position group and it impacts the game in event of injury by far the most of any position and it’s a group that takes months to have a full grip on the system. Other teams clearly understand this principle.

2. Keep the best talent on the field whenever possible. This also goes for the LB position. In 2014 we moved Clay inside and that enabled us to pull Nick Perry off the bench and pair him with Peppers.
We immediately became a top 10 rushing Defense and dropped into 13th place as a scoring Defense. At the rate we improved, we learned that our biggest mistake was not doing this sooner.
We went from a #32nd ranked rushing D through 8 weeks (by far the absolute worst)...... ..
..to #4 ranked rushing D for the last 8 weeks. That was not an accident, that’s a drastic improvement. So much so, that I believe that in itself (and the direct result of it propelling us into the NFC Championship game) it saved MM and Dom Capers jobs for a few more seasons.

I’d like to see our team do a better job learning from our past failures and success stories. I realize our memories tend to be forgetful, but how does an entire organization forget something that soon? They need to quit dilly dallying around with Burks and pony up the resources to acquire a decent LB. If Burks makes a full recovery great! We have better depth in 2019.

I only disagree on Point #1, especially when it comes to the Packers.

I think we all know that if #12 goes down, game over, season probably over too. Kizer seems to have established himself as the #2 and that isn't saying much IMO. I would rather see the Packers cut Boyle and Wilkins and put one of them on the PS, since I doubt both, if even either, gets picked up. IMO that roster spot is better served by using it on another position or player you know you can't slide to the PS. Taysom Hill might look like a bad cut a few years back, but the Packers were not using him like the Saints have, so that was the only mistake, not seeing his other talents. But holding on to him or Callahan at the time wasn't that important in the grand scheme of the QB position for the Packers. Word at the time was that they wanted to get Hill to the PS, but obviously that backfired.

Now if the Packers draft a QB high in the next few years, then I can see holding onto Kizer and that draft pick.

The only way I see the Packers keeping Boyle on the 53 is if they really see some great potential in him, but to me he looks a lot like the "Callahan's" that have paraded through Green Bay over the years, nothing special, just a camp arm with the hope that he will someday develop.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I preferred studs & duds.

Sheperd is looking very appealing with that return ability. Kumerow is a virtual lock.

Tackling needs work.

Reaction score
I only disagree on Point #1, especially when it comes to the Packers.

I think we all know that if #12 goes down, game over, season probably over too. Kizer seems to have established himself as the #2 and that isn't saying much IMO. I would rather see the Packers cut Boyle and Wilkins and put one of them on the PS, since I doubt both, if even either, gets picked up. IMO that roster spot is better served by using it on another position or player you know you can't slide to the PS. Taysom Hill might look like a bad cut a few years back, but the Packers were not using him like the Saints have, so that was the only mistake, not seeing his other talents. But holding on to him or Callahan at the time wasn't that important in the grand scheme of the QB position for the Packers. Word at the time was that they wanted to get Hill to the PS, but obviously that backfired.

Now if the Packers draft a QB high in the next few years, then I can see holding onto Kizer and that draft pick.

The only way I see the Packers keeping Boyle on the 53 is if they really see some great potential in him, but to me he looks a lot like the "Callahan's" that have paraded through Green Bay over the years, nothing special, just a camp arm with the hope that he will someday develop.
We have 1 Stud at QB and 2 Duds
It’s a good argument, but I doubt the 53rd guy (so to speak) is going to be a game changing player, it’s more likely they see ST. To me that doesn’t trump a decent QB.
That said. We don’t have that at QB behind Rodgers.

Oddly. This year is a non issue because it’s not a tough decision to let #3 go. But in many years the default should be leaning keep 3. It’s too important a position. Unless you have a solid contingency plan and & are prepared to part ways with a decent amount of cap space at a moments notice. The #2 can go down just as easily (see Seneca Wallace). Then what?
I personally don’t like the idea of “oh well seasons lost anyway” let’s tuck our tails and hope next year is better.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
. It’s a good argument, but I doubt the 53rd guy (so to speak) is going to be a game changing player, it’s more likely they see ST. To me that doesn’t trump a decent QB.

Oddly. This year is a non issue because it’s not a tough decision to let #3 go. But in many years the default should be leaning keep 3. It’s too important a position. Unless you have a solid contingency plan and & are prepared to part ways with a decent amount of cap space at a moments notice. The #2 can down just as easily (see Seneca Wallace). Then what?

Yup and I have been saying this for a long time, I would much rather see the Packers spend some extra money on the #2 QB in the event that #12 goes down. Mainly for the reason you point out, it might be THE most important backup on the team. TT seemed to try and get away most years with having a development guy behind his QB's, Favre (Rodgers) and the same with the #2 behind Rodgers. Favre was an iron man, so that worked out just fine. Rodgers as we have seen isn't quite as sturdy. Hundley was a terrible replacement and Kizer, not that much better.

So yes, carrying what are basically 2 developmental QB's (Kizer and Boyle) behind your #1 is a waste of a roster spot IMO. I hope it doesn't happen, but if Rodgers goes down again for any extended time, I would prefer Gute combing the streets for an old Vet to try and hold things together in the event that Kizer can't or gets hurt himself.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So no one is listing Gary in chump category?

He was probably the most disappointing player on the field

D

Deleted member 6794

Or is Curtis Bolton the man? I thought he was a safety based on his number but he is listed at linebacker. Played well against Baltimore. And he started for the Sooners and evidently played well there.

While Bolton might develop into a decent player the Packers shouldn't rely on him playing a significant amount of snaps entering the season.

I would definitely prefer to sign a veteran at the position.

I agree with Pokerbrat that there's no reason to keep three quarterbacks on the roster.

The main reason the run defense significantly improved over the second half in 2014 was that the Packers faced five opponents that ranked 24th or below in rushing offense that season.

With Matthews playing inside for a full season the team finished 21st in rushing yards allowed a year later.

.We have 1 Stud at QB and 2 Duds
It’s a good argument, but I doubt the 53rd guy (so to speak) is going to be a game changing player, it’s more likely they see ST. To me that doesn’t trump a decent QB.

A player contributing on special teams has a bigger impact than the third quarterback who most likely won't be active as long as Rodgers is healthy.

If #12 goes down Boyle or Wilkins won't be able to save the season no matter what.

Reaction score
The main reason the run defense significantly improved over the second half in 2014 was that the Packers faced five opponents that ranked 24th or below in rushing offense that season.
We went from #36 (I say that jokingly.. but the fact is we were several hundreds of yards in last place after 8 games)
To #4!
Not 27th
Not 19th
Not 12th
Not 7th

You don’t there from #32 by cherry picking the 5 worst running teams you can find that our D swallowed up, you average them ALL and round in the Packers favor (after all.. they lowered their average slightly if anything) if you shut out a team that’s going to lower their season average some.

The teams we played had a combined record regular season of 62-66 (that number is including our defeating 7 of 8 in late season contests). Captain, our opponents were essentially smack dab in the middle of average teams. You couldn’t even plan a median that close. They weren’t great teams.. but they weren’t horrible either, as you claim.

So we went 7-1 against .500 teams. Forget the #4 Defensive rushing stat for a sec. We took a #22 ranked scoring D mid way through a season and pulled that to a #13 ranked scoring D in just 8 games.
What overall Defense ranking do you suppose you’d need second half of a season in order to do that?

Moving Clay Mathews inside and getting the best talent on the field simultaneously greatly benefited our team at Defense and thats undeniable based on the both stats and season results.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

We went from #36 (I say that jokingly.. but the fact is we were several hundreds of yards in last place after 8 games)
To #4!
Not 27th
Not 19th
Not 12th
Not 7th

You don’t there from #32 by cherry picking the 5 worst running teams you can find that our D swallowed up, you average them ALL and round in the Packers favor (after all.. they lowered their average slightly if anything) if you shut out a team that’s going to lower their season average some.

The teams we played had a combined record regular season of 62-66 (that number is including our defeating 7 of 8 in late season contests). Captain, our opponents were essentially smack dab in the middle of average teams. You couldn’t even plan a median that close. They weren’t great teams.. but they weren’t horrible either, as you claim.

So we went 7-1 against .500 teams. Forget the #4 Defensive rushing stat for a sec. We took a #22 ranked scoring D mid way through a season and pulled that to a #13 ranked scoring D in just 8 games.
What overall Defense ranking do you suppose you’d need second half of a season in order to do that?

Moving Clay Mathews inside and getting the best talent on the field simultaneously greatly benefited our team at Defense and thats undeniable based on the both stats and season results.

First of all the Packers actually were sixth in rushing yards allowed over the last eight games in the 2014 season.

While there's no denying the run defense improved the unit benefitted from playing against several of the worst rushing offenses in the league.

FYI the Packers ranked tied for ninth in points allowed in the second half of that year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts