Ravens game Champs and Chumps

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Champs
Bolton - did very well and could be our starter. Wondered why he was starting ahead of Summers, but i get it now.
Ty Summers
Lazard
Boyle started poorly, bit picked it up.
Scott - wow! Best packer punter effort in sone time.
Kumerow - had a drop, but did well

Chumps
MLF play calling. Okay its preseason. He wasnt trying (i hope)
Tackling - dont we have a drill to teach tackling?

Misc
Kizer may be too pretty to be an NFL QB

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chumps-D line has been consistently manhandled in both games. Over 300 yrs rushing and 3 punts.

Champs- Kumerow, Scott
When your punter is a champ its not the best situation to be in.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Champs: Starting O-line looked good, Kumerow looked like he belongs and should get playing time in real games, Bolton? Didn’t know him before tonight but he looked good, fast instinctive and a pretty sure tackler. Scott did well
Chumps: pretty much everyone that used to wear a Notre Dame jersey had a bad night and D Williams looks like a practice squad candidate at this point.
I know many are high on Summers effort, but I see him miss too many tackles and get pushed around too much right now.
Let’s get to the cut downs and remove some of these guys that have no chance of playing this year! They make everyone look bad out there

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Champs: Lazard and Sheppard just blew right by J'Mon Moore and possibly Davis on the Depth charts. Unless Moore is absolutely looking phenomenal in practice, I don't see how he makes the 53.

If the Packers only keep 6 WR's and Kumerow is one of the 6, the final cuts are going to come down to which of those 3 (Lazard, Sheppard or Davis) provide the most for the Packers on Special Team. As much as I like Lazard, it is going to be tough for him to beat out a healthy Davis and maybe even Sheperd, because of what both of them can do on special teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Champs: Lazard and Sheppard just blew right by J'Mon Moore and possibly Davis on the Depth charts. Unless Moore is absolutely looking phenomenal in practice, I don't see how he makes the 53.

If the Packers only keep 6 WR's and Kumerow is one of the 6, the final cuts are going to come down to which of those 3 (Lazard, Sheppard or Davis) provide the most for the Packers on Special Team. As much as I like Lazard, it is going to be tough for him to beat out a healthy Davis and maybe even Sheperd, because of what both of them can do on special teams.

Yep. They have to have a return man, and it's going to be either Shepherd or Davis.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yep. They have to have a return man, and it's going to be either Shepherd or Davis.
Guessing Lazard isn't going to be worked as a return guy, so his only real shot of making the 53, assuming they only keep 6 WR's, might only be if one of the other 5 WR's (Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow) are injured.

Although the Packers could decide to keep 7 WR's, I just don't see it with the TE's, RB's and FB's that will probably be kept.

Really starting to like Lazard and his ability to use his big frame to catch contested throws.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Champs
Bolton - did very well and could be our starter. Wondered why he was starting ahead of Summers, but i get it now.
Ty Summers
Lazard
Boyle started poorly, bit picked it up.
Scott - wow! Best packer punter effort in sone time.
Kumerow - had a drop, but did well

Chumps
MLF play calling. Okay its preseason. He wasnt trying (i hope)
Tackling - dont we have a drill to teach tackling?

Misc
Kizer may be too pretty to be an NFL QB

Champs:

Rodgers: managing to come up with an injury right before kickoff so that he seems to have a legit reason for not wanting to play.

Lazard: I'm starting to like this kid

Bakhtiari and Linsley: You know they were doing Miss Suzie had a steamboat while playing patty cake.

Chumps:

Inside linebackers: Bolton is too slow to run the LeRoy Butler/Charles Woodson blitz. Summers seems to have regressed from last week. Gonna need one of these kids to go balls out next week and steal the spot.

Boyle: He's gotten worse at just about the time Kizer is starting to get better. I can't see Boyle even making the team anymore.

Discipline: Too many penalties, lousy tackling, a fumble, drops. This has to be cleaned up cause I'm not 100% sure Tua can be an NFL QB!

Misc: Just based on personality and off field things prior to and during the game, I can see Manny being QB 1 in a couple years.

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there any good QBs left on the market?

I liked Shepard. If he continues to play this way I think he'll get the spot instead of Davis. Kumerow continues to make plays and Lazard also did some good stuff. The air is getting thinner for Moore. I cannot see how he makes the roster right now.

On the defensive side I liked what I saw from Keke. Ty Summers is inconstant. He makes plays and on the next snap he misses a tackle, but I guess that's ok for a rookie.

JK Scott had some nice punts. Hope he continues this way.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I saw 10 plays, but that isn't going to stop me from giving an opinion.

I like the opening kick off, was that Sheppard? If he keeps it up, he's staying. I was not high on Bolton last week, but of the handful of plays I was actually able to see tonight, he seemed to be in there looking good. Kumerow had some nice routes and catches again. I guess he had a drop they said on the radio on the way home, but I missed that one just like he did I guess.

I'm going to chump the nbc26 sports guy too for going into how much Kizer had a "bad" throw behind Allison very early in the game. I actually think it was a good throw as putting it in front would have taken Gmo's momentum and put it right into at least 2 defenders. Maybe "good" is being too generous, maybe it should have been thrown sooner before the break or something, but it was thrown to the correct spot, leading him would have been a disaster.

I only saw Savage on 1 play and he was practically running the route down the far sidelines with a guy. I thought he gave an "I sniffed that one out" type sign after the play because I don't think you can actually wipe your nose thru those facemasks.

really didn't watch much Dline play, TV's were small looked like a blob to my old eyes and my kids practically tore down the bowling alley so I was probably more tired than the guys on the field. Hope to be able to watch more next week. SOunds like they have work to do.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted this elsewhere but what positives did ppl see from Gary? I only saw a little of the game (third quarter) and it wasn't, uh, kind to Gary.

H

HardRightEdge

I only saw Savage on 1 play and he was practically running the route down the far sidelines with a guy. I thought he gave an "I sniffed that one out" type sign after the play because I don't think you can actually wipe your nose thru those facemasks.
Savage had a couple of other promising plays. On the first drive he came up like a shot into the trash and cut down the ball carrier, so he's not affraid to stick his nose in it. Then he did more sniffing out on a toss to a TE in the flat, came flying up and tried to cut the guy about 2 yards behind the line of scrimage. He missed the tackle, but he got the receiver stumbling enough that he was held to a 6 yard gain.

Demovsky observed, "Darnell Savage's first series: Great coverage on a deep sideline ball. Missed tackle on a dump-off pass. That's life as a rookie." True, but it was refreshing to see the read/react and in position to make the play.

H

HardRightEdge

The starters lineups give some indications of the current depth chart:

Defense:

Adams at base DE
Bolton in place of Burks
Williams at perimeter corner with King out
Tony Brown at nickel corner (in place of Adams) with Jackson out
With all hands on deck Williams might be the nickle corner starter; that remains to be seen.

Offense:

Lane Taylor at LG
Allison in the slot

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm going to chump the nbc26 sports guy too for going into how much Kizer had a "bad" throw behind Allison very early in the game. I actually think it was a good throw as putting it in front would have taken Gmo's momentum and put it right into at least 2 defenders. Maybe "good" is being too generous, maybe it should have been thrown sooner before the break or something, but it was thrown to the correct spot, leading him would have been a disaster.
I was going to post something quite similar as this is what I thought at the time also. Kizer seems much better the last two weeks than he did at any time last season and seems to have solidified his hold as the top clipboard holder. Maturity?
Shepherd, Scott and Kumerow looked good also.
I didn't see much past halftime. Looks like the 2nd team O-line has one or two locks and the rest can be kept or tossed with a coin flip.
Neither RB that played 1st half looked worth keeping.
Boyle seems to be crumbling under pressure. Might need to look around for a 3rd QB at cutdowns. Try to score like NO did when they took Hill.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Based on usage last night, it seems to me that there is no real competition for QB2. Kizer got starter treatment in terms of how long they left him in the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bolton looked better than I expected, but I think the Packers are fooling themselves if they think that they have all the ILB's they need for the 2019 season. IMO Burks was questionable as a starter and now they hope to replace him with an UDFA rookie or 7th rounder (Summers)? If Martinez goes down? I came to expect this kind of stuff from TT, but I thought Gute was more proactive on making sure he had enough experienced depth at every position.

Still hoping and waiting for a veteran ILB to be signed in the next 2 weeks.

H

HardRightEdge

A couple of other notes:

The tackling was bad again and the DL wasn't getting off blocks. Whether that's rustiness with lack of practice tackling or preseason business decisions or a real problem, we probably won't know until opening day.

Besides the KO return, Shepherd fielded a sideline punt cleanly with coverage in his face. It's the kind of ball Davis has had a habit of staying away from, letting it hit the ground, a Davis pet peeve of mine. Returning punts is not just about the balls you run back; it is also about the ones you don't that can cost field position.

Davis keeps moving further out on the bubble. Gutekunst tried to trade him last offseason even when the prospective return replacements looked bad. Shepherd looks a whole lot better than anybody we saw last preseason. Despite a drop in this game, Shepherd looks better in the passing game than Davis ever has. Kumerow, despite his drop, along with Shepherd and Lazard (in that order) are pushing Davis further out on the bubble. Moore did not get in until late and did not see a target dimming his prospects further. St. Brown isn't showing much either.

Jenkins had two holding calls. Is that a ref with a unique interpretation or were Baltimore defenders exposing a technique issue? We'll see where that goes.

We've seen two opposing QBs now who can use their legs. Pettine will need to come up with something when we face them in money games. Right now, the defenses were generic with the starters in, so that's another matter that remains to be seen. Better tackling would sure help.

Some of us liked Justice Hill in the Amish Mafia draft contest. I had him down for the 4th. round; Baltimore took him in that round at #118, the Packer's pick acquired in the Clinton-Dix trade. The Packers traded that pick along with their #114 pick to Seattle to land Savage, with the #118 making it's way to Baltimore. It's just how things work out sometimes. I don't know if Hill was on Gutekunst's radar, or where he was on the board, but Hill looks like a player, breaking ankles and tackles.

All in all, this was a pretty dismal football game. I couldn't watch anymore by the middle of the 4th. quarter.

But you have give Harbaugh credit for going against the NFL grain. He's going to ground and pound, eat clock, play defense and when they have to throw Jackson can use his legs to extend plays or run. Billick made the observation that with defensive players getting smaller with an emphasis on athleticism and defending the pass, they expose themselves to this style of old school offense. LaFluer evidently wants to introduce more emphasis on the running game than in McCarthy's days, which wouldn't be hard compared to last season in particular. But that doesn't work without the backfield horses, penalties (holding calls in particular), or the defense not keeping the score close.

We await the return of Jones and Williams and all manner of things come opening day.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We await the return of Jones and Williams and all manner of things come opening day.

We can only hope that changes how the rushing attack looks, because right now, it hasn't looked good at all. Hard to gauge in a preseason and when Rodgers is not on the field, as we have seen the past 2 seasons, the offense just isn't the same.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the last few weeks have shown me is that the dead time after the draft/free agency now extends right up to the first regular season game. The start of training camp used to be exciting, and preseason games left some solid impressions. No longer.

H

HardRightEdge

All the last few weeks have shown me is that the dead time after the draft/free agency now extends right up to the first regular season game. The start of training camp used to be exciting, and preseason games left some solid impressions. No longer.
I don't think anything about camp and preseason has changed. You have just become more insightful. ;)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bolton looked better than I expected, but I think the Packers are fooling themselves if they think that they have all the ILB's they need for the 2019 season. IMO Burks was questionable as a starter and now they hope to replace him with an UDFA rookie or 7th rounder (Summers)? If Martinez goes down? I came to expect this kind of stuff from TT, but I thought Gute was more proactive on making sure he had enough experienced depth at every position.

Still hoping and waiting for a veteran ILB to be signed in the next 2 weeks.
Didn't see a lot of this game yet but Summers cannot make a tackle in the flat. He looks like a big liability to me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We can only hope that changes how the rushing attack looks, because right now, it hasn't looked good at all. Hard to gauge in a preseason and when Rodgers is not on the field, as we have seen the past 2 seasons, the offense just isn't the same.

Don't be surprised if it takes a while to click. Hopefully not too terrible long. It isn't as though the Packers never blocked zone running schemes before Petals.

H

HardRightEdge

Bolton is too slow to run the LeRoy Butler/Charles Woodson blitz. Summers seems to have regressed from last week. Gonna need one of these kids to go balls out next week and steal the spot.
Bolton isn't slow. He's just not as fast as the SS/ILB hybrids or the top 10 draft picks. He's faster than Morrison which is a pretty low bar. I don't know how close Ibraham is to practicing, or if he will end up on PUP to start the season, but they brought him back for a reason despite the ACL. Then there's the question of how injured Burks happens to be and if he plays any good once he gets on the field. Or Jones for that matter if he ever sees the field, though I believe his ILB days are behind him.
I believe Dante was correct in saying Bolton and Summers play different positions.

Whatever names you want to assign to the ILB positions, Mike vs. Will or some other terminology, Martinez typically plays Mike over the TE. So far in this preseason, Summers has played Mike behind Martinez, getting start in week 1 and calling the signals with Burks at Will initially and then with Bolton after Burks went down.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I share everyone's dump on Boyle. He made some really nice throws and led an impressive TD drive in the 3rd quarter. That first drive of the 4th was bad, but I still wonder how he would do with a better o-line slowing down the pass rush. Rodgers looked bad without his guys in past seasons.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Just a guess, but I think that's mainly because the public now has FAR more information about what's going on in camp than we used to. 15 years+ years ago, preseason and training camp were most fans' first exposure to the team and preseason was where most saw players actually doing football stuff. Now fans can see video of practices and minute-by-minute analysis of everything that happens in practices.