Randall Cobb is...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair Driver was Jordys age competing with a young Jennings, Jones, and Jory Nelson.

Donald driver was 37 when he retired. Nelson is 32 i believe. So hell be 33 after the 2018 season when his contract expires. If he signs a 3 year extenstion and plays thru the deal hell be 36. So i dont really get what you mean? Hell also be competeing with some very good yoing recievers id imagine

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I couldn't just sit here and lurk while people bash Cobb. Yes his production has gone down, mainly due to injuries, but Cobb plays such an important role in our offense. Cobb is a top 3 slot receiver in the game. With our new TE depth, Cobb will be even more valuable. No way I'd get rid of Cobb. He's worth every dollar.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald driver was 37 when he retired. Nelson is 32 i believe. So hell be 33 after the 2018 season when his contract expires. If he signs a 3 year extenstion and plays thru the deal hell be 36. So i dont really get what you mean? Hell also be competeing with some very good yoing recievers id imagine

That's not what I mean at all. What I'm saying is when Driver was 32-33 he had Jones, Jennings, and Nelson. That was way more talent than the top 4 WRs now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not a good alternative, IMO. Jordy is coming off of a bad knee injury and is not getting any younger. I don't want him taking the wear and tear of a slot receiver.

Nelson performed at an extremely high level lining up in the slot last season coming back from a torn ACL. There's no reason to be concerned about using him inside moving forward.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not a good alternative, IMO. Jordy is coming off of a bad knee injury and is not getting any younger. I don't want him taking the wear and tear of a slot receiver.

It's pretty typical that receivers move inside as they get older. It usually lengthens their careers.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson performed at an extremely high level lining up in the slot last season coming back from a torn ACL. There's no reason to be concerned about using him inside moving forward.
What are ur thoughts on Cobb and the situation? I like jordy in the slot and I don't think he is going anywhere for some time long as he stays productive

D

Deleted member 6794

What are ur thoughts on Cobb and the situation?

I believe a lot of Packers fan undervalue Cobb's importance to the offense. While he hasn't performed up to the contract he signed two years ago he's still an important part of the team's passing game.

Reaction score
It's pretty typical that receivers move inside as they get older. It usually lengthens their careers.
Exactly my thoughts. Slot is to outside WRs what S is to CBs. It's not more damage, its a position where he can more effectively utilize his talents as his speed drops.

OP
OP
Snoops

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe a lot of Packers fan undervalue Cobb's importance to the offense. While he hasn't performed up to the contract he signed two years ago he's still an important part of the team's passing game.
I think so too. So u don't think he is going anywhere? And do u think we will resign Adams and dix before the seasons over?

D

Deleted member 6794

I think so too. So u don't think he is going anywhere? And do u think we will resign Adams and dix before the seasons over?

I fully expect Cobb to be on the roster this season. It might be a smart move to extend Adams early in 2017. With the Packers having picked up the fifth year option for Clinton-Dix the team isn't allowed to negotiate a new deal with him until the start of the 2018 league year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always had thought that the most important quality of a slot receiver was quickness and ability to cut. They then add an extra dimension to the play. Seems like Cobb and Davis fit that best. Obviously good hands are a must.

D

Deleted member 6794

I always had thought that the most important quality of a slot receiver was quickness and ability to cut. They then add an extra dimension to the play. Seems like Cobb and Davis fit that best. Obviously good hands are a must.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's your point? He does pretty well from the receiver position also. You have smaller quicker guys for the slot and they don't normally translate as well to the outside. There are exceptions everywhere but why draft a slot receiver if you are just going to use receivers?

D

Deleted member 6794

What's your point? He does pretty well from the receiver position also. You have smaller quicker guys for the slot and they don't normally translate as well to the outside. There are exceptions everywhere but why draft a slot receiver if you are just going to use receivers?

The point I was trying to make, which should have been pretty obvious, is that Nelson excelled lining up in the slot last season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say he is not a slot receiver. Julio Jones and all the really good receivers would excel in the slot. But you don't play them there. I want the quicker player there. I think that player messes with the pass D more and it helps out the other receivers. Stats do not always tell the whole story.

D

Deleted member 6794

I say he is not a slot receiver. Julio Jones and all the really good receivers would excel in the slot. But you don't play them there. I want the quicker player there. I think that player messes with the pass D more and it helps out the other receivers. Stats do not always tell the whole story.

Nelson isn't primarily a slot receiver but once again was very effective lining up inside catching 32 passes for 472 yards and six touchdowns in 2016. There are definitely good reasons to continue to play him there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there are good reason to mix it up. Gotta agree with you.

Reaction score
Yes, there are good reason to mix it up. Gotta agree with you.
Also, I think that what is being suggested is not that Nelson should be in the slot even if he is better outside. Nor is it being suggested that Nelson has the attributes you are listing in your ideal slot receiver. It is merely being pointed out that often times dominant boundary receivers who no longer have the physical ability to dominate outside can often still dominate inside in the slot. If Nelson were at a point where this were the case, and were Cobb not playing better in the slot than Nelson could, it is being suggested that Cobb could be released and Nelson take his place. That's all.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Nelson were at a point where this were the case, and were Cobb not playing better in the slot than Nelson could, it is being suggested that Cobb could be released and Nelson take his place. That's all.

I don´t agree with the premise that Cobb should be released anytime soon though.

Reaction score
I don´t agree with the premise that Cobb should be released anytime soon though.
That's fine. I'm merely collating the sentiment expressed across a few different posts by a few people who seem to agree that Nelson could man the slot, with the why and under what circumstances. You are not required to adopt that line of thought.

If Cobb can come back to the level of production this year that he has had in years past, I'm happy with him. If not, I think he is safely a candidate for discussing being cut - based upon cap savings, future contract options, etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fine. I'm merely collating the sentiment expressed across a few different posts by a few people who seem to agree that Nelson could man the slot, with the why and under what circumstances. You are not required to adopt that line of thought.

If Cobb can come back to the level of production this year that he has had in years past, I'm happy with him. If not, I think he is safely a candidate for discussing being cut - based upon cap savings, future contract options, etc.

I´m one of the posters advocating for the Packers to continue to use Nelson in the slot but that doesn´t automatically result of me being in favor of releasing Cobb.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point I was trying to make, which should have been pretty obvious, is that Nelson excelled lining up in the slot last season.
I should have said, other than Jordy Nelson, who we all know is better than Cobb. Nelson is much better than anyone else we have.
You're preaching to the choir.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m one of the posters advocating for the Packers to continue to use Nelson in the slot but that doesn´t automatically result of me being in favor of releasing Cobb.
Is an average slot WR worth over $12M? A competent GM would make a move at a position where an average player is very replaceable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts