publications write-off Packers again

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From JS Online:
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/342174.asp

I don't know about everyone here, but I find it hillarious. GB seems to do better with taking the underdog roll, so I'm glad that no one's picking us to even win the division. It basically sounds a lot like what we've been reading for years, GB is rebuilding... the Packers reign at the top of the NFC North is over... MN will win the division... Detroit will win the division...

When you look on the surface, most think that GB hasn't done anything to improve. There haven't been any flashy, big name FAs signed. We lost Sharper. Walker's holding out. Favre's getting older.

Of course when you actually review what has been done, as a real analyst would, it's a different story. GB has loaded up with young, talented, fast players on defense. We added a couple of proven safeties along with some young players to develop. We've added a new DC with a proven scheme that matches our players. Favre's been working with a personal trainer and is eager for TC to begin.

In the end, I have just 2 questions for these 'analysts':
1) Who did you pick to win the division the last couple of years?
2) Who has been the only team to win the NFC North?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing to remember as the Season gets started - and RYAN can save this post at the top of the Forum to review if he wants....

The Packers will... (mark it...) ..will... have a harder time with beating Teams in the NFC North than they have had to deal with in almost Ten years... or, if you will, since Holmgren finally got the reins around Favre's wild horse neck.

Da Mooch's Lions are for real this year... only the QB question is left.
Lovie's Bears are actually working to make a real comeback - whether you like it, or believe, is your misgiving...
The Vikings - even saddled with ol' Darren Sharper - are probably the most composed team in our Division at this time... circa July 2, 2005. The Vikes gaining Fred Smoot is one of the main reasons for their team to be much much better than before... Sharper will just take the train along for the ride.

OUR NEED is for Bates to demonstrate - with surprise tactics slowly let out of the bag - that our Defense is the "the surprise of the 2005/6 NFL Season" period! I'M THINKING HE WILL... Once you get the Team used to the type of tactics he's pushing in drills... SPEED on top of SPEED... other teams will have to take tons of trucker 'stay-awake' pills just to keep up and/or close any gaps where we end up tripling the number of QB sacks we had last year.. Culpepper had damn sure better watch his blind side... cause he's GONNA get hurt... Bates' scheme is marked for such things...

Just the same - OUR Division will be much tougher for anyone and everyone in the entire NFL to play against....

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean to be a pest, but I have noticed a huge lack of conversation in concerns to the loss of Rivera and Whale. I think that this is the Packers' biggest obstacle, by far - much bigger than the Walker debacle. Those losses are the Achille's Heel for the Packers this year and I predict Favre will succumb to the most sacks of his career.
Is this assessment simply blown out of proportion or is this feeling underlying any doubt of the Packer's success this season?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think our OC sees much issue with regards to Rivera and Wahle (not whale, btw) -- and since he seems to think we'll be okay, then that's good enuf fer me. Beightol is tops in the League when it comes to OC's. You should be so lucky!

OP
OP
B

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito said:
I don't mean to be a pest, but I have noticed a huge lack of conversation in concerns to the loss of Rivera and Whale. I think that this is the Packers' biggest obstacle, by far - much bigger than the Walker debacle. Those losses are the Achille's Heel for the Packers this year and I predict Favre will succumb to the most sacks of his career.
Is this assessment simply blown out of proportion or is this feeling underlying any doubt of the Packer's success this season?

That's a legit assessment, but one needs to dig deeper. This is the most significant change to the Packers OL since Clifton and Tauscher became starting tackles as rookies. But don't forget that this OL has gone through major injuries for the past 3 seasons. They were without Clifton and Wahle at the same time. They went most of a season without Flannagan, when Ruegy and Wells stepped up.

OG is probably the easiest position to replace on the OL. TT added a couple of veteran guards, but we've had solid replacements on the roster. Barry is ready to start, which means Tauscher could move over to RG. Ruegy has proven a solid starter at center and can move to LG. Wells is also capable of playing either guards spots.

So while one could argue that this is a weak area, it's actually still an area of strength for GB's offense.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I have said in the past, a pissed off, underdog Packers team is a dangerous animal. And, I love all the pressure and expectations being placed upon the Queens....THE most psychologically fragile team of the last ....well...forever! They implode with no pressure, I wonder how they respond to being Division favorites and, in some cases, a Super Bowl pick.

Like butter in the hot sun....a meltdown waiting to hapen!

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey miskito,

Did Wahle and Rivera go to the Bears? I don't know that the Bears were one of the teams picked to WIN the NFC north.

I think the Packer team is GOOD enough to win the NFC north.

What do you think the Bears will finish at? How about the Packers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears are on the road to recovery, but will still bring up the rear of the Division. That defense will be great, and the offense will begin to find itself this year (providing Grossman stays healthy), but the Packers and Queens will fight for the Division, with pressure from the Motor City Kitties.

Give it 2 or 3 years, and the NFC North will be the best Division in the league....chock full o' young talent on the rise across the board.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Hey miskito,

Did Wahle and Rivera go to the Bears? I don't know that the Bears were one of the teams picked to WIN the NFC north.

I think the Packer team is GOOD enough to win the NFC north.

What do you think the Bears will finish at? How about the Packers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Obi. At times, sarcasm is so difficult to decipher when it is written. Anyway, I don't think I mentioned anywhere that the Bears would win the division. I'm trying to understand the true sentiment of your post, so please forgive me if I wander.

I'm thinking the Bears to go 8-8 while the Packers at 9-7. Vikings will take the division at 10-5 and the Lions will be 7-9. Of course, these are pre-training camp guesses, so I'll be at least one off. lol

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito-fair question, and it's certainly a concern for me.

As for why analysts suck. The Pack lost Sharp, Wahle, Rivera, Walker?, Grady?, Franks?, and added some journeymen and some draft picks w/ potential. Like the Packers, the Vikes also added journeymen, and draft picks w/ potential, but also Sharper, Smoot, Williams, Taylor, Napoleon...players that have better resumes than Earl Little, or Adrian Klemm.

Yes, the Packers have some potential that I believe in, but potential means you haven't done it yet, where as a lot of the other teams in the division have added more proven players, and lost less than the Pack. Maybe I'm too pesimistic, but it doesn't surprise me why ppl are picking against the pack.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito

You are already one off. 10-5? That may be worng both semantically and realistically... They DO play a 10-6 season.

BTW, I know what you mean about Sarcasm. It seems that I get that way with the flamers on this site...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have been writing the Pack off since last year. But I think we should play the season anyway. Maybe we get a couple of surprises. :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Miskito

You are already one off. 10-5? That may be worng both semantically and realistically... They DO play a 10-6 season.

Oops. My math skills are somehow depreciating with age. 10-6, it is, then for those pesky Vikings.

Members online

Latest posts