Preseason game 3 - at Denver

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Radio is about 3-5 seconds ahead of the TV broadcast depending if I am watching OTA or via satellite. Thanks to Janet Jackson's boob shot in the SB. I am not buying a sports radio to eliminate the delay. Is there an app for that? I'd use my phone and ear buds if there is.

I use an app on a Mac called Bat Crack radio delay. Cost $1.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Paid close attention to Spriggs tonight in pass protection. He was much better than last week.

On the vast majority of plays, he was fine and didn't allow pressure, but he has a play once in awhile when he gets beat terribly. It's as if he has instant mental lapses or forgets he's supposed to block someone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Paid close attention to Spriggs tonight in pass protection. He was much better than last week.

On the vast majority of plays, he was fine and didn't allow pressure, but he has a play once in awhile when he gets beat terribly. It's as if he has instant mental lapses or forgets he's supposed to block someone.

He seemed to get better as his opponent got worse ;) Von Miller made him look like he was blindfolded, wearing skates and on ice.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our defensive line quite a bit. overall our secondary was fine. Dix didn't play, but man do I like Brice back there. Not necessarily taking Dix's place, but those 2 together would be fine. He's earning playing time. Randall had tight coverage most of the night. One pass I remember he was playing off and seemed a tad late in his switch to the receiver coming inside, but heck if I know what everyone's responsibility was on that play, but overall, he looked like the guy I remember from rookie season.

Those were probably the big things I liked. oh and Jahri Evans. I think he played really well. If he maintains that level all season, that would be a great signing. Most of the oline was what most probably expected. I think Gannon and Harlan have to be 2 of the worst announcers. can't get names right, can't get what sport they're calling correct, and gannon is nothing but canned responses to everything. Sometimes I wonder if they're even watching the game or just being cued what line to say and when to say it?

I thought Spriggs looked about how a 2nd string OT might look much of the night, but he had 3 plays I distinctly remember, one against Miller, and one very late, with one sandwiched in there against someone I didn't know, but he just got smoked on an inside pass rush. To say his feet were in cement would almost be a compliment. But really other than those plays, he looked ok. Not that I thought he was dominant out there, but it's surprising how someone can look pretty adequate in 1 on 1 blocking and then look so bad?

Fackerell looked better last night. He's not going to be Nick Perry with a bullrush, but he was able to dip his shoulder, get some leverage and chase a couple plays down. Gannon seemed to be slurping all over on Hundley, i was not quite so impressed. Regardless of the pass rush he faced. I expected more. Davis had a nice punt return and a couple nice catches. Janis plays hard whenever he's in there. Didn't really see a lot from the young guys at WR. max had a nice snag, and yancy or dupree after a drop made a nice catch on 4th down, but it was still short. But nothing really made me think any of them are going to beat out our Top 4 or Janis or Davis. Not in that game anyway.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley looked good despite the play of our second unit OL. He was sacked 4 times and it easily could have been 7-8 but for the quick passing game and Hundleys movement. He made the right decisions, took care of the football, looked superb avoiding the rush and showed good decision making with running and passing, his arm looks to be strong and accurate. I would have liked to have seen more downfield throws with Hundley but the reality is that our second string OL is so bad as a group that you're not going to see it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Saw the same crap on defense last night as the past few seasons. 8 yard pass between the hashes to an open receiver on 3rd and 7. Capers has to figure out who to leave in the middle when he brings his blitzes. Sending both ILBs leaves the void when the DB is trailing the receiver. Pick plays and RBs/TEs sifting through the line is the problem. He hasn't come up with a way to consistently stop it.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw the same crap on defense last night as the past few seasons. 8 yard pass between the hashes to an open receiver on 3rd and 7. Capers has to figure out who to leave in the middle when he brings his blitzes. Sending both ILBs leaves the void when the DB is trailing the receiver. Pick plays and RBs/TEs sifting through the line is the problem. He hasn't come up with a way to consistently stop it.
Not to mention if he sends both middle linebackers up the middle; all that happens is a big traffic jam and it is easier for their O line to block it.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a guy who is supposed to be athletic Spriggs sure looks like he has slow feet. Maybe its time to permanently move him to guard. Monty is totally ripped. He looks like a bigger Ahman Green. Aaron Jones stands out as the second best rb by a long shot. Kenny Clark has made the second year jump and so has Marvin Evans. Can Evans play slot cb? It would be nice to get him on the field. He's much better than Rollins who looks like another high draft pick bust. This game should have alarm bells going off. TT needs to sign a veteren o lineman. The season could unravel in a hurry with any injuries on the o line. With Lindsley and Bulaga you can be guaranteed that they will come up hurt. Reggie Gilbert is undoubtedly better than Fackrell. Do the Packers have the guts to keep Gilbert and admit Fackrell is a bust and cut him?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First team defense was fine last night. Didn't see anything to complain about.

Plus, it's preseason. The play call you reference could have been to test a specific player or just test the play. They would rather learn about a play or player on third down in the preseason than prevent the conversion.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike Daniels was great as always. Anyone else remember the play when he simply ran over the guard? That was incredible.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Fackrell actually had a decent showing. I like Gilbert, but he completely took himself out of the play on the easy TD run too

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Fackrell actually had a decent showing. I like Gilbert, but he completely took himself out of the play on the easy TD run too

Fackrell finally looked like a guy who could give us quality snaps in the regular season if needed. It's possible that he just isn't a practice field guy.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That last drive was crap. With a minute left, Hundley was distinctly unimpressive.
I have to watch a replay of the game... got home late last night but I managed to see the last three plays... I didn't know if I should laugh or be angry when I saw Hundley get smashed to the ground by his own Offensive linemen on the last play....

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas got exploited by Jamaal Charles on passing downs. Where was Josh Jones this game?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Joe Thomas got exploited by Jamaal Charles on passing downs. Where was Josh Jones this game?
you didn't see him get is 15 yard penalty for flapping his yap on a pretty regular play in a preseason game? It's all that has stood out to me so far about the guy.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some fans only seem to be able to judge players in isolation. If a back doesnt pick up yards it's because the back sucked, forget the that Oline was completely stoned as a unit. Or maybe there are creases and holes and the back kind of Brandon Jacksons in the hole, therefore the Oline sucks. Or if your quarterback sits in the pocket for forever and a day despite open receivers and gets sacked, well then the pass protection is bad. If guys get open then the coverage sucked, nevermind that the pass rush let their quarterback sit in the pocket for 7 seconds. You can't generate pass rush then the pass rush sucks, never mind that their receivers are getting open instantly. Most position play is reliant on the play of other position groups, a quarterback needs time to throw and receivers to catch the ball. Receivers need accurate throws on time and time to get open etc.

Hundley averaged about 6.4 ypc, in what was mostly a **** and dunk passing game. Yet he was still sacked 4 times and hit a number of other times and this is despite him evading a number of quick pressures and flat out making guys miss. Most quarterbacks in the league would look like crap with the protection that Hundley had last night, including Aaron Rodgers(See his 2012 performance against Seattle when he was sacked about 8 times).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm taking it into account, and he didn't impress me. He had a couple of bad passes, really bad. Lucky one wasn't picked and was saved by a penalty on one that was. I want someone with replay to watch that INT on the last drive. I thought I saw a guy wide open on the boundary and he overthrew to the guy in the middle with under and over the top coverage. I saw quick pass to the flat thrown too flat and too short. He had some nice plays too, but overall, i expected more.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't watch a lot of the second half and will do so today, but one frustrating thing I saw out of Hundley was settling for short passes (well short of the sticks), especially on 3rd down. Didn't even seem like he was looking down field to try and pick up the first down. Now maybe the receivers were covered and the dump off was his only option, but when it's 3rd and 7, I would much rather see an 8+ yard incompletion than a 1-4 yard gain that is destined to leave you with a 4th down.

Will watch the second half today in order to see more of what Hundley did, but I am still not that impressed with what he wasn't able to do with the first team offense.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones made a few really good plays in 2nd half, don't think he was in at all in 1st half. Jones really crashes ******* run plays and blitzes... I like his intensity.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Finally got to finish the game. I think Mondio mentioned announcers Harlan and Gannon drooling all over how great Hundley is looking.....meh. Obviously, tough to fully evaluate him once the starters all left, but the starters on Denver's defense eventually left too. He also didn't look very special with all the starters (less Bulaga) in. I see an average backup QB, there aren't going to be a lot of teams lining up to trade for him and if there are, it won't be worth enough to lose your only capable backup QB.

Other observations:
  1. Trevor Davis may have secured his spot on the team. Nothing flashy at punt returning, but I think as long as MM isn't worried about him handling the ball, he is our best option.
  2. Find someone who can return kicks and make appropriate decisions. Now maybe Janis is being told to return the ones kicked into the endzone to see what he can do, but take the knee and settle for the 25, unless you have a guy who can return it past the 25 (without 3 holding penalties).
  3. Besides Davis on Special Teams, didn't see any of the young WR's separate themselves from the rest. The next game is going to decide who those 1-2 spots will go to. This also may have secured Janis's spot on the 53 as a gunner/WR.
  4. Can MM/Getsy teach receivers to get past the first down markers on their 3rd down routes? So tired of short passes coming up short of a first down.
  5. Both Nick Perry and J Elliott left the game with injuries, our OLB situation isn't getting any better.
  6. Will we have a run game? Much like last year, I think our run game will be marginal and most of the yards will be gained by Rodgers and rushing plays out of a pass formation.
  7. Where were our fullbacks?
  8. I don't care how slow people think Richard Rodgers is, he will be the best 3rd string TE in the league. Any trade value?
  9. Young DB's are playing and hitting hard. Pipkins won't make the 53 or PS.
This is a team with legit Super Bowl aspirations. If TT and MM are thinking about trading any of the current players away, I would hope it would be for another player that immediately improves the Packers starters or depth. Draft picks are fine to accumulate, but this teams is still short a few players to make that long 16+ game run and survive the normal amount of injuries. I can think of a few positions where a trade or a waiver wire pick-up would improve the roster depth.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For my money, Capers needs to figure out a way to use him. He still has a motor. He just cannot simply line up against a good tackle all game long. Capers needs to be creative with him. Is that a contradiction of terms (name)?

I actually agree with this...they honestly should look to moving him to the other side so he can go against right tackles. Like he did when he first got into the league. I think he'd be a lot better on that side at this point in his career. Simply cannot line him up on the right against left tackles play after play.

D

Deleted member 6794

For my money, Capers needs to figure out a way to use him. He still has a motor. He just cannot simply line up against a good tackle all game long. Capers needs to be creative with him. Is that a contradiction of terms (name)?

Capers has moved Matthews around all over the defense but Clay has struggled to be productive. There´s no reason to question the defensive coordinator being creative with him though.

Kenny Clark has made the second year jump and so has Marvin Evans. Can Evans play slot cb? It would be nice to get him on the field. He's much better than Rollins who looks like another high draft pick bust. Reggie Gilbert is undoubtedly better than Fackrell. Do the Packers have the guts to keep Gilbert and admit Fackrell is a bust and cut him?

Evans has definitely performed at a high level during the preseason and I fully expect him to make the roster but doubt that he might be a fit at slot cornerback. It´s almost a given that the Packers will hold on to Fackrell but with Biegel having missed the entire training camp Gilbert has a decent chance to end up on the 53 as well.

I didn't know if I should laugh or be angry when I saw Hundley get smashed to the ground by his own Offensive linemen on the last play....

Maybe the Packers should think about moving Geoff Gray to the defensive line. ;)

This is a team with legit Super Bowl aspirations. If TT and MM are thinking about trading any of the current players away, I would hope it would be for another player that immediately improves the Packers starters or depth. Draft picks are fine to accumulate, but this teams is still short a few players to make that long 16+ game run and survive the normal amount of injuries. I can think of a few positions where a trade or a waiver wire pick-up would improve the roster depth.

I highly doubt Thompson is considering trading any of the players set to play a significant amount of snaps for the Packers this season. On the other hand it definitely be smart to pick up some veterans being cut to improve the depth on positions currently featuring questionable depth.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I highly doubt Thompson is considering trading any of the players set to play a significant amount of snaps for the Packers this season. On the other hand it definitely be smart to pick up some veterans being cut to improve the depth on positions currently featuring questionable depth.

I agree on not trading away players the Packers are currently projecting to play a lot of downs. Barring injuries, I think the starting lineup on both offense and defense are pretty well set. I was referring more to guys like Richard Rodgers, Allison, Marwin Evans. Basically, guys with some value to the Packers as well as other teams, but at positions of quality depth. But I don't see TT making player trades and if improvement in depth is going to happen, it's going to come through signing FA's like Brooks. Some people mentioned last week trying to trade for Kony Ealy, I noticed he had 7 waiver claims after the Patriots outright cut him, the Jets got him.